2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 18, 2023 2:10:13 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
you don't deserve me, freya.

it has not left her. he has not left her. he has made her question everything. even in her dreams, he is there, with his hand under her chin, cupping her jaw lovingly and drawing her ever-closer. giving her exactly what she wants and asking nothing in return. 

that's all it was - a piteous way for him to grant her her fantasies of being worth something. she was never his sword. her training? the countless hours spent honing her body, preparing to be the iron wall that stood in front of bullets for him (and didn't she? didn't she take two at his behest?).

poor freya. poor, silly freya, being spoonfed what she asked for and swallowing it down, only to retch it up later and spit it back onto him.

you did nothing for me except use me.

but she was used. she was used. wasn't she? couldn't he have known what he was doing? couldn't he have known that wasn't what she wanted? what she needed? that it wasn't right?

she is through with hiding. her body bears new scars of battle. when she lands outside the walls of his gym, she shrugs off her t-shirt with its long sleeves, exposing a skintight muscle shirt. it bunches around her hard edges. she's no longer the thinned waif from traipsing through kyurem's wasteland.

her sparring with and her regular excursions have once again made her fit for combat.

lyune is returned to his ball for the moment, only so that she may approach the receptionist's desk and ask after her appointment.

i wanted to see you happy.

she's told to wait and so she does. rather than take a seat, she stands off to the side and looks, with brows drawn in concentration, out the window. painfully, she thinks, happiness was escaping you.

SILPH BADGE
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 28, 2023 23:27:30 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

THE RECEPTIONIST IS POLITE. the lobby is spotless. the slateport gym is the epitome of what hoenn’s gym challenge should be.

every challenger who has walked down these halls understands that. this is the apex of what it means to be tested. for that reason, many consider it their last pitstop before challenging the ELITE FOUR. after all, who else would have the audacity to champion a gym in a city befallen in tragedies?

um, i’m so sorry miss morningstar,” the front desk apologizes when her wait goes long.

there’s nothing wrong with her appointment. the automatic system checked in with her the day before. her attendance is expected.

so where is fernando silph?

mister silph,” the receptionist dials in, “the challenger is here.

morningstar?

yes, sir.

i’m not here. you can award her the badge. that’s all she’s here for anyway.

a red fluster flashes in the receptionist’s face as the conversation is aired over the speakerphone. it’s the first time such an exchange has happened and catches them off guard. with a slow turn, they make eye contact with freya, a deerling in headlights. the awkwardness is musky enough to make even the air queasy.

uh, miss morningstar, it seems you’ve already qualified for this badge,” they try to play up after hanging up. “congratulations…?

they reach for one of the drawers to pull our her prize: an unearned SILPH BADGE.

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
i got new love, new skin to wrap myself in
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 5:03:33 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
a clock ticks on a sterile wall. she splits her attention between it and the window, but as her appointment time nears, it takes more of her attention. the minute hand hits the twelve and she expects a prompt response, but none comes. a minute passes. odd for fernando, but not unreasonable. after all, his employees are only human. 

but then five, and then ten, and twenty minutes pass. 

she exchanges a glance with the receptionist. their shared look of confusion prompts her call. 

his voice comes over the speakerphone and her confusion is instantly replaced with surprise, which quickly bleeds way to anger. she stalks up to the counter, ignores the badge in the woman's hand, and leans over to snatch the phone off its hook. 

she holds it to her ear and looks at the receptionist. 

"ring him again."

SILPH BADGE
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 21:30:44 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

THIS, is a battle the receptionist has no stake in. they are merely a background character in a feud between challenger and evaluator. the immediate silence is deafening, put to ease by the unceremonious sound of a blare tone.

what do you want morningstar,” fernando answers, already predicting as such.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 22:12:51 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
freya gets the feeling the receptionist would rather be anyone but here. her eyes narrow when they're met with silence and she opens her mouth to tell them to do it again, but then his voice comes over the intercom. 

"i want you to do your job," she snaps, beside herself. 

you don't deserve me, freya?

and is this how he means to turn that sentiment into reality? will he really give her the cold shoulder, like some scorned lover? the worst of it is that he is far from petty. this isn't some pointed gesture. 

he is making it clear, because he believes it true: she is not worth his time.
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 22:17:20 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

“I AM,” is a calm response to her vitriol.

i, the slateport gym leader, acknowledge the skills of freya morningstar. her battle prowess and proven track record, as dragon tamer, pokemon trainer, and previous council member, is that of legend. i am honored to be a stepping stone in the hoenn league’s evaluation of this soon to be champion.

his tone is dead. even the sarcasm succumbs from the lifelessness of his voice. it might as well be the automated voice over of the robotic challenge.

clearly, i would have to be half blind, to not see how truly deserving she must be. congratulations, freya. well deserved.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 22:27:33 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
it truly must have been the mist that had helped her suffer through his companionship. the receptionist looks mortified, though not entirely surprised, and absolutely refuses to meet freya's molten gaze. anger makes her hand shake. anger makes her face flush.

she should quell this anger. she should smother it and maintain a polite smile, use words as her knife - be meticulous, witty, and conscious.

but, well, 's rubbed off on her.

"aren't you?" she says, voice even, full of vehemence: "half-blind, that is?"
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 22:40:36 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

“I AM,” is playing right into his point. whether she understands that back-handed compliment is impossible for him to discern over the phone.

the sound of movement shuffles in the background. the creak of his seat groans underneath his sigh.

i will be out. cila, prepare a pokemon suitable for morningstar.

and sure enough, down the hall, a battlefield awaits. large, expansive. with a high ceiling to accommodate her pokemon of choice.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON May 30, 2023 4:11:19 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
she narrows her eyes. his sarcasm is dry as the orrenian desert and the malice curdling in her blood, spattered with hurt and guilt and everything in between, makes her slam the phone back down into the receiver. she hasn't won here. 

he's gotten his suspected rise out of her. she's a child playing chess with a master.

she reaches for the ball settled in her choker and moves off through the door, no direction needed. a familiar hallway, though she hasn't been here in some time, and then an equally familiar battlefield. 

she rolls lyune's ball in her palm, but does not release him yet. 
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 3:41:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

“WELCOME TO THE SLATEPORT GYM.”

it is his voice that echoes in the empty thralls of their battlefield. yet, despite the familiarity, it lacks the personal depth of a real conversation. his tone has perished. his spirit no more present than the automation that conducts lower profile matches.

his pokemon is prepared. hand picked for a challenger that’s all too predictable. it sits in his hand, mirroring her. waiting for her to commit to her selection. while fernando considers his gym accessible to even the most amateur trainer, it’s gimmick is to corner challengers with an unfavorable matchup.

this battle will evaluate your battling prowess as a trainer. we will each use one pokemon each.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 22:01:09 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
so this is the end of their era. before her misting, she recalls with odd clarity their conversation at 's funeral. two parts to a whole third left to clean up his mess; fernando hadn't shared her same surprise that he'd been the first to fall. 

her death next, she thought, but through murky memories and too-gentle promises swathed by pink palms, she realized he'd thought her to be the last one standing. and now? he sees himself the survivor. he doesn't even care enough to wish she were dead. 

their history is a blank slate, scrubbed clean by his unaffected, sterile demeanor. her jaw tenses and then slackens as she swallows her bitterness. lyune's ball cracks open and he emerges with a hiss.
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 0:51:45 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

PREDICTABLE. this broken pokemon holds too much weight for her to consider otherwise. the same one she had begged for his clemency. a choosing beggar that had no qualms with insulting the countless others that beckon at her call. and for what?

favoritism?

what made lyune so special? how could she be so selfish to think it was worth his own inconvenience? because she is the main character. because she cannot see the world beyond her.

that is the lesson he has learnt from freya morningstar. a deluded narrative that even he has begin to buy. for how can one lie efficiently without lying to one’s self? only when the gaslighter breaths in his own fumes will he live his own high.

salamence,” he notes, “a dragon type pokemon native to the hoenn region.

his own pokeball reveals something a bit more surprising: his WIGGLYTUFF.

dragon pokemon are popular among veteran trainers.

contrary to its opponent, the wigglytuff does not hiss or bark upon its arrival. the pokemon stares, doe-eyed, as its runs its tiny hands against its elongated ears.

many value them due to their predatorial nature,” he continues to recite with monotone enthusiasm, “under the assumption that their ferocious nature makes them adept battlers.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 16:14:13 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
lyune's gigantic form, weathered and scarred, blocks her sight of fernando. his tail trails back and forth along the ground. human feelings are too complex for the centuries-old beast, but he understands loyalty. tongue forks, tasting the air, a reminder of the poison that had drenched his master's veins for months. 

he shifts his weight back and forth, eyeing the fluffy opponent before him, shivering as he tastes the dazzling prismatic aura that surrounds a fae. 

freya's lips curl. 

fernando drolly speaks on with as an encyclopedia, stoking coals. but freya is looking at lyune's steady wings, muscles tensed and calculated. his fury is folding in over itself, stretching consciously to claw and fang. reminding her of someone else.

"Remember what I said about fear? Yer half-way there, only yer lettin' it control ye. Breathe, think logically. How can ye get out of this? How can ye make me hurt?"

she does not rise to the bait. she takes in a breath, low and slow, and straightens her shoulders. lyune's neck swivels, allowing her a glimpse of fernando.

you are empty, she thinks. and then she shouts an order in draconic and flames explode from lyune's maw.

salamence uses flamethrower
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 16:49:04 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SANGUINE SACRILEGE

GYM BATTLE

THERE IS NO NEED FOR COMMANDS. if an opponent attacks, it’s only natural to defend. an inhale of air fills the pokemon when freya orders a command. when the salamence makes a move to obey, the inflated wigglytuff holds its hands inward, toward its chest.

a translucent PROTECT shimmers into existence. it holds against the constant stream of flames, small cracks tearing across its surface. only when the FLAMETHROWER subsides does it shatter completely.

but like any other pokemon, they come with their own subset of weaknesses.

bright blue eyes gleam, watery and full of tears. when the pokemon exhales, a beautiful SING echoes against the empty stadium, empowering the lullaby as the pokemon deflates.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
sanguine sacrilege
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 19:18:55 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
flames lick at the edges of the wigglytuff's protective barrier. heat shimmers over the battlefield, warping both trainer and pokemon across the pitch. the glass shatters and lyune bares his teeth.

she anticipates a blast of some sort from the fairy, but it warbles a cry instead. freya reaches up and covers her own ears with a frown. lyune's fins furl as drowsiness overtakes him.

freya's command is in that same guttural language. his tail slams against the ground, chest swelling as the earth rumbles in front of him. the pitch cracks and shifts from the quake, providing some amount of cover before the salamence's lids droop.

freya waits patiently, gaze fixated on the sleeping dragon. 

salamence uses earthquake
salamence falls asleep