june 11
petalburg city
uncertain
hacker
ranger
i'm glad you're evil too.
5'4 height
5'4 height
being a shut-in is certainly the path of justice!
awards
33 posts
part of
TAG WITH @warden
STERLING WARDEN
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2023 21:25:13 GMT
STERLING WARDEN Avatar
sterling's father doesn't much like it when they leave the city. they suppose they can't really blame him, considering the rest of their family is missing or AWOL somewhere. if their father doesn't have his eyes set on you, he constantly worries you might vanish in front of his eyes. this time, sterling had managed to convince him to let them go provided they checked in every hour to let him know they were okay. and if they ran into any trouble, they'd send him their location immediately instead of trying to handle it themself.

man, being coddled is hard work.

it's worth it, though. there's a grand unveiling of a new VR machine at an arcade in rustboro, the next city over. they took the bus here and now they're finding themself a little overwhelmed. there's a line up, as they expected, and it seems like it'll be some time until they manage to get into the booth.

in the meantime, they look around for other things to do. there's a two-person shooter that isn't occupied... but as soon as sterling moves to pick up the fake gun, they realize someone else has moved at the exact same time as them on their other side. awkwardly, they stare, frozen as they try to decide what to do.
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2023 2:32:36 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwen had decided to kill some time today from her usual time of fretting over life choices by spending her time locked away in an arcade. The facade of life whisked away by the symphony of arcade machines. She entered and found some line for the newest VR machine or something that would catch her eye. The ginger was eager to step into the line, but it was massive. She wasn’t hitting that up for a while it would seem. So she improvised. Went with the tried and true light rail shooter. She walked over in a hurry to get away from people and reached for the gun to the left. It was pretty cool looking, but Gwen noticed there was somebody else across from her.

They seemed to share the same idea.

"Sorry!" Gwen apologized. "I didn’t see you there." She murmured. An awkward silence played as she froze up and wondered what the procedure was. Should she walk away now? They wanted to play it but so did she. Could it be possible to take turns? They had both been standing there awkwardly for a minute before Gwen’s timidness had reached its limit. "M-Maybe we can play…together?" She asked, holding up some change to put into the machine and offered to pay for their own fee to play. "I mean, it’s…We’ll have a better chance at beating this if we team up."

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

newt

they/them
june 11
petalburg city
uncertain
hacker
ranger
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
33 posts
part of
TAG WITH @warden
STERLING WARDEN
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2023 17:05:43 GMT
STERLING WARDEN Avatar
oh, thank arceus she said something. sterling had a vision of a future where they both just stood there for minutes on end without playing the game at all.

unfortunately, it's been some time since they spoke to someone in person aside from their father. they shuffle on their feet, holding the plastic gun in hand. their posture and expression are difficult to read, bangs hiding their red eyes as they look down. there's a pause, and finally, they speak. "...sure."

sterling curses themself. she's nice enough to offer to play together and all you can say is 'sure'!? get it together, you dope! expression still not changing, they pull a coin out of their pocket and insert it into the machine. they point the gun at the screen and pull the trigger to confirm that "player one" has entered the arena. they're pretty good at shooters, but most of their experience has been on their PC at home...

when the game starts, they manage to keep up well enough. their hand-eye coordination isn't too bad, all things considered. it's not so different from using a controller. point and shoot, point and shoot... the bad guys won't even know what hit them.
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2023 22:33:45 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

They agreed to share the game with one another, much to Gwen’s relief. For how long the silence was going on, she was certain that there was going to be some kind of result where either one of them walked away in total silence. She was happy to have somebody to play with, even. As an only child, things like this were pretty rare for her. ”Great! Um, ready to go?” She was just as nervous as Sterling was but could at least look at them where she thought their eyes were. The single word response and shaky nature gave away a sense of awkwardness. One that Gwen herself was familiar with. She said nothing and pushed a coin into her own player’s slot.

The arcade machine came to life as the game began. It was a relatively simple game, with two characters on a minecart going through a haunted house. Skeletons, ghouls, ghosts, all the classic monsters. Gwen was by no means an ace at this game judging by being the first one to take damage two seconds into the level by missing her first target. Her accuracy did improve a little bit while keeping up with stuff on her side of the screen. Still, her partner appeared to be on the same skill level.

”You’re doing pretty good!” Gwen said as they came at the first checkpoint, offering them a breather. Her glasses had slid down to the bridge of her nose but were pushed back up. Her lips curled into an enthusiastic smile. Sterling was beating Gwen by a small margin. ”I’m kind of bad at these kinds of games. I like numbers more than reaction speed. What about you?”

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

newt

they/them
june 11
petalburg city
uncertain
hacker
ranger
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
33 posts
part of
TAG WITH @warden
STERLING WARDEN
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Aug 31, 2023 17:22:08 GMT
STERLING WARDEN Avatar
they reach the first checkpoint without taking too much damage. sterling breathes a sigh of relief without realizing it. they can't admit it, but playing with another person so near is more stressful than playing online... whenever they're out in public, they feel as though someone is watching their every move. even as they've reintroduced themself to society, that sensation hasn't gone anyway.

when gwen speaks again, they find themself staring at the screen, avoiding eye contact. this game gives you a chance to change your weapon, so they're checking over the options as they try to decide how to answer her question.

time is up. they'll just have to respond as honestly as they can. "...rpgs," sterling says. roleplaying games have always been their favorite. anything with a strong storyline and the sort of escapism where sterling can project themself onto the hero role is preferred. somewhere they can save people, instead of watching them disappear one by one.

the game starts up again. "...though... i do like numbers," they admit quietly. "i program things... sometimes." sometimes? more like all the time.
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2023 0:06:48 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar

Gwen listened to the answer that they had given. It made her smile a little more genuine than before. ”Same here. I’ve been meaning to get into more, but I’m not sure where to start. It’s hard when the main games you play are just puzzle and rhythm games.” She decided to stick with her weapons and equipment so she had just been waiting for them to finish. During their small talk, she eyed Sterling again with a smirk. ”I’m, ah, Gwen, by the way. It’s nice to meet you. If you don’t want to respond, don’t feel like you have to. I was the same way growing up.”

Despite how people vilified it, Gwen wasn’t going to force them to be social if they preferred to be mute. Being in an anti-social bubble for weeks on end at a time had a way of doing just that to a person. She at least had the reason for enjoying people and not really knowing how to talk with people for a good portion of her life. ”But since you like RPGs, do you have a favorite?”

The game started up again after the timer hit 0. It was back into the second half of the first level as zombies flooded the screen and threatened to overwhelm the pair.

[/div][newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

newt

they/them
june 11
petalburg city
uncertain
hacker
ranger
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
33 posts
part of
TAG WITH @warden
STERLING WARDEN
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2023 20:22:29 GMT
STERLING WARDEN Avatar
they're loaded up and ready for the next segment of the game; sterling keeps their eyes on the screen as it prepares. "sterling," they say shortly, introducing themself. it's a bit of an odd name, but the name they'd been given when they were born just didn't feel suitable anymore. maybe once upon a time, an eternity ago, when different paths had branched before them... or maybe not. maybe they were always going to turn out this way, no matter what happened.

the loading ends, and they're launched back into the fray. the action is a little faster this time, so it's more important to know exactly when to reload. "i guess if i had to choose... maybe pyre insignia? or last legend. the classics are the best, but the remake of last legend seven has been really solid all around so far." a skeleton leaps at sterling, and they take some damage before they take it out. "i like the identity games too, but i wish they'd stop milking five for all its worth and just move on to making a new one. at this point i don't know what's coming first, identity 6 or a new ancient scrolls game." now that they're talking more, their galarian accent is more apparent. they don't seem to notice they've been rambling.
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2023 6:16:52 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

”Nice to meet you, Sterling.” Gwen smiled, ”Thanks for playing with me. I doubt I could get to the end of this level by myself. It’s nice to have somebody you can depend on.” The Ranger trainee was still new to this socialization thing. Even more so when the spotlight was put on her to be the leading partner in conversation. She felt worried about how Sterling might think of them. Was she too demanding? Did they just want to play the game in peace?

She did seem to nail a subject Sterling was interested in though. They talked for a solid few seconds about the RPGs that they so enjoyed. Gwen couldn’t help but fawn over their accent too. It was Galarian, if her knowledge of the world was up to date. She was a shut in but at least she could assume where Sterling was from. She giggled to herself, her glasses halfway down her nose again. ”Sorry, I’m not laughing at you. You sound cute when you’re talking about something you obviously like.” It was nice seeing somebody slowly coming out of their shell. It reminded her that maybe she could do the same to others some day. The boss warning screen had come up before a sudden giant skeleton head would pop up in the screen.

BOO!

A terrified yelp came out of Gwen’s mouth. Enough that people had just suddenly looked over to see Sterling’s partner fumbling to hold the gun from that sudden scare.

close tab

played by

newt

they/them
june 11
petalburg city
uncertain
hacker
ranger
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
33 posts
part of
TAG WITH @warden
STERLING WARDEN
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2023 16:47:34 GMT
STERLING WARDEN Avatar
cute!? sterling stiffens, feeling their face heat up. there's no way! nothing about me is cute! they want to protest, but they bite their tongue. for a moment, they completely forget that they're in the middle of a level. their brain is fogging up as they try to comprehend what just happened. oh, the indignity of it... they don't know if they're flattered or insulted. or maybe just confused? let's go with confused, they decide.

and that's when the jumpscare happens. gwen jumps, fumbling her gun. sterling stares in shock. a laugh bubbles up out of them, and then the dam breaks. they double over, wheezing with laughter, even as the boss mauls both of their characters on the screen. it's not long before they're both dead, but sterling's still trying to recover, snickering under their breath. "the look on your face--" they say, and then they're cut off by another round of helpless giggles. the game is slowly counting down, waiting for them to either insert another coin to continue play or for the cut-off to happen and send them right back to the beginning.

the people who turned their heads to look at gwen when she screamed now look away, content that it was nothing serious and just an innocent gaming mishap.
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 22:11:23 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwendolyn’s heart raced nonstop at the sudden jumpscare. Sterling didn’t know or have any way of knowing, but she was scared easily. If it wasn’t for that lovely bundle of chaos that was Robin taking her to haunted houses and dealing with psychic stuff, she would have died just seeing that screen. It wasn’t much but Gwen had some resistance to jumpscares. The display was not entirely without its share of mockery. Sterling was laughing, wheezing at her performance. Her cheeks turned a bright shade of red in embarrassment. Their characters had both perished at the boss from the two of them being preoccupied. ”It’s n-not funny!” Gwen protested. It was nice seeing the stoic person begin to show some emotion for a change.

She got up from the floor and looked at the screen just in time for the game over screen to end. A sea of blood washed away the boss screen and reset back to the high score table, along with the entrance. The humiliation was something else, but if it brought Sterling out of their shell, it was worth it. ”Do you want to move to another game?” she asked them. ”Or do you want to continue embarrassing me?”

close tab

played by

newt

they/them
june 11
petalburg city
uncertain
hacker
ranger
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
33 posts
part of
TAG WITH @warden
STERLING WARDEN
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 17:09:59 GMT
STERLING WARDEN Avatar
they manage to get ahold of themself. a few onlookers grow bored, realizing nothing that exciting had actually happened, and go back to waiting in line. for their game of choice. gwen picks herself up too, and asks sterling what they should do next. it's slowly dawning on them that she's essentially inviting them to keep playing with her, and they blink slowly as it sinks in. "yes," they say, which isn't really an answer to the question. they shake their head. "uh, that rhythm game has a short line..."

the line for the VR game is still ridiculously long. more people just keep arriving. sterling tries not to worry about it, and points out the machine that says 'project voice' over the screen. there's two cabinets side-by-side, currently occupied by a couple other people who seem thoroughly engrossed in play.
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,778 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
arcadets [gwen]
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 7:20:56 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: