awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
gc excursion e: freya & isaac
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 3:15:46 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
tera crystals glitter all around them. the league has had their work cut out for them, roping off the new scar in hoenn's side from sight-seeing tourists. she's not fond of being surrounded by them, but the perimeter they've expanded around themselves has been manageable. 

more teams continue to explore. freya talks to unit leaders and sifts through information from the exploration teams. deja vu tickles the back of her neck, but this time she has no hunt to preoccupy her time. 

she's here in earnest, coffee in hand, though calcifer itches for some action a few paces away. when she spots a familiar face, she excuses herself and greets him with a wave. 

"isaac, hey. it's been a bit."

the last he'd seen her, she'd been half-dead in a hospital bed. 
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 14:09:59 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","topimage"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Feels like forever. But what doesn't these days?"[break][break]

If Isaac was hoping life would settle after his defection, he'd realized just how wrong he was. Sure, he wasn't regularly fending off attacks on his own life anymore. However, he was now facing a far greater challenge; piecing that life back together into something worthwhile.[break][break]

A part of his life would always be dedicated to service now. As a former traitor turned member of the amnesty program, it was his privilege. As Suicune's chosen and AQUA's latest member, it was his duty. As a man who just wanted to see his corner of the world brightened up, it was his pleasure.[break][break]

Home hadn't been much rest. It was construction, and negotiation, and bits and pieces of moving parts all building themselves up into the idea of something greater. He welcomed it. It busied his idle hands and grounded his yearning hopes. However, even a welcome burden was still a burden, and a part of him couldn't wait for it to all come together.[break][break]

Believe it or not, missions like this were the closest thing he had to an escape.[break][break]

"How's it been, councilwoman?" He gave her a quick glance up and down, a spot check for any injuries carried forward or misfortunes dragged behind her. The two had a nasty habit of accruing those, bit by bit. "Hopefully better than the last time we met up."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] --color:#c4c067; [/newclass]
[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
i got new love, new skin to wrap myself in
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 17:22:44 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
and what he finds is tremendous improvement. exhaustion still drags at her bones. her skin has healed, but more than that - her cheeks are fuller, a sign she's been consuming more than black coffee; there is a lightness in her eyes that wasn't there before. she stands taller, more sure of herself, and there is a clarity that comes from purpose. 

but she's always been good at hiding her pain.

"much better," she says good-naturedly. "except, you know, just another worry to pile on top of everything else." she gestures to the caverns all around them. 

"i was just headed out to do a perimeter sweep. care to join? you can tell me how you've been."
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 18:22:23 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]Forget the hospital. She looked better than she did on the beach. It turned out being away from an active warzone did wonders for one's health. Who knew?[break][break]

"Story of our lives, huh?" Isaac asked, smile good natured yet weary. It was clear neither of them had gotten much rest, even if they'd learned to roll with the punches. "I swear. If Illie figures out how to slap-chop these anomalies away, it's gonna be our next national holiday."[break][break]

Sootopolis, the Ultra Wilds, Tera Tunnels, Dream Mist, the RKS System, Eternatus' fucking sphincter, and now a giant chasm from Kyurem bodyslamming the region open. Freya was right, compared to even a year ago there was so much for Hoenn to worry about. having space on her side was maybe the first bit of good news they've had in this interdimensional horror story.[break][break]

Wait. What did Hoopa's prophecy say about time again?[break][break]

Arceus. He barely had time to think. At least he could spend this flustered confusion with a friend. "Handpicked by a councilwoman again? Such an honor," he gently teased, before looking over said perimeter. True to its name, the Giant's Chasm was indeed giant. "Hell of a lot of ground to cover, though. We're gonna have to bust out all the stops on this one."[break][break]

Good thing he was Isaac Merlo, master of busting out all the stops.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Mar 2, 2024 22:52:26 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
protocol dictates all league personnel leave in at least teams of two, but she's always been queen of do as i say, not as i do. most of her forays into the cavern have been short trips, excuses to clear her head, with the occasional skirmish against paradox pokemon.

"and it'd be well-deserved. she can have a national holiday week if she can do that." it reminds her she's yet to touch base with the scientist since she's come into her avatarship. 

too many duties with not enough time. 

"and this isn't even counting area zero," she sighs. they're on relatively flat ground for now so they don't need to mount up to traverse; calcifer still stretches his wings and flies overhead to provide as a lookout. 

"and quite frankly, you might be one of the few to see it as an honor right now." and would certainly not appreciate being 'hand-picked' by the councilwoman for anything. 

"has reached out to you yet?" she asks, curious. 
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 4, 2024 15:03:31 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Their loss. You've been pretty nice to spend time with. Y'know. Grading on the curve for these circumstances." It wasn't like they'd gotten to know each other through the best of times. They'd just ended up that vaguely dependable face to count on as Hoenn was thrown from tragedy to tragedy.[break][break]

A part of Isaac wondered if Ms. Doer, Not Sayer included having fun in that list of things to do.[break][break]

Speaking of slightly terrifying government officials Isaac was inexplicably fond of, . "Not yet, but I figure she's got like a million and one important things on her plate," Isaac admitted. "But between me running like the wind and hed slipping through space and time, pretty sure we could catch up at a moment's notice."[break][break]

Now there was a terrifying thought. A shimmering pink rift clawing open in the middle of the night as Illie woke him up for an adventure. Damnit. Now he was kinda looking forward to it.[break][break]

"How about you? You hear from any big-ticket VIPs, or is everyone kinda licking their wounds right now?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2024 17:46:57 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
"yeah, well - you catch me on my good days." which is a funny enough thought. she'd nearly died when he had stumbled upon her, but she had been glowing in triumph. their hours on the shore had been cathartic, with highs and lows, but the thrill of the hunt had run through her veins. 

he's yet to witness her fury in all its glory.

"i hope it doesn't change her," she says before she can stop herself. "the avatarship. i hope it doesn't change her like the others." or take too much. 

she sees the cracks in eva's solid foundation, the pressure of a god weighing on body and soul and mind.

"that's classified information," she jests, but it's not. she's seen his signature. "seems we're getting less and less time to lick our wounds. new avatars, new legendaries, new ways in which our own people turn against each other." 

she blinks as the gym leader summit runs through her mind. "shot in the dark, but you don't know where is, do you?"
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 1:17:00 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Your good days sure seem to involve a lot of near death experiences." Isaac wasn't sure if that meant Freya had an Interesting perspective on life, or if it meant that he was very, very lucky to avoid her bad days so far.[break][break]

Then again, considering what was like on a good day, maybe he had an idea or two.[break][break]

"She was . . . Interesting before encountering Palkia," Isaac said, remembering all too keenly how often she solved science by violence and adversary by stabbing herself. "So I guess that's a wait and see. But worst case scenario, having good friends that can help ground her should work wonders. Guess that means it's all the more important we're there for her, huh?"[break][break]

For all Isaac joked about National Illie Week, she mattered far more to him as a person than as a conduit for the essence of space. It was just as Freya mattered more for being Freya than she did for being the doer, not sayer of the Hoenn council. Whether the highest of the high or the lowest of the low, people were people. It'd do Hoenn well not to forget that.[break][break]

"Maybe I lucked out. Suicune's off doing their own thing most of the time. Not being at their beck and call all the time means I'm probably not getting it as bad as some Avatars are." He could only demand the impact a demanding Avatar could have upon their patron, especially when the two disagreed. "Though, man. If I thought I was bad at sitting still before . . ."[break][break]

Hospitals always bugged him. Now, the tight quarters and lack of freedom to go as he pleased turned them into torture chambers.[break][break]

At Freya's question, Isaac quirked an eyebrow. He didn't like how it came hot on the heels of questions of Avatarship and warfare, but at the very least he trusted Freya. "Oh, trust me. I always know where she is," he said. "Even when she thinks I don't. Call it big bro instinct. But, after what happened the last time, can you blame a guy for trying?"[break][break]

Despite trying to act casual, his voice firmed on that last sentence. Seeing nearly dead once had broken his heart. He could never let it happen again.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 2:09:48 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

all they can do is be there for her. her shoulders relax. isaac is the voice of reason in her ear, reminding her time and time again that strength is just as she says: forming bonds and allowing others to share your burdens. there is a part of her, smaller with each passing week but there nonetheless, that has its doubts. 

she fears pulling them in so close will only get them burned. 

"do you think you've changed much?" she asks. "since they chose you?" she's so used to seeing the parasitic nature of avatarship. even eva has expressed her exhaustion, how the weight of rayquaza's worries sometimes threaten to smother her. she ignores the pang in her chest. 

calcifer flutters closer to them and lands. he rumbles and points upward. she doesn't spy anything out of the ordinary at first glance, save for the red cluster of crystals around a cavern wall. and then distantly she realizes that the red isn't part of the crystal at all. 

"careful," she warns.

"and that's one less thing for me to worry about. eris, i mean. i heard she's been a...well, difficult to manage for the league." she frowns. "it's just, with uxie's reveal, i worry. i worry about what something like a mesprit could possibly want out of a child."

how much will it take from her? how much does she think the league will demand she give?
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 13:29:42 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"I mean, they chose me for being me, right? Figure that alone puts us on the same page."[break][break]

There was an altruism to Suicune's appearance that seemed increasingly strange in a decaying Hoenn region. Isaac wasn't a famous mover and shaker whose influence could be put to great use. He wasn't a broken man whose insecurities could be hollowed out and shaped into a perfect host for Ruination. It wasn't like he'd even met Suicune before the night that changed his life.[break][break]

He'd selflessly given himself for . Suicune, in turn, selflessly gave themselves for him. All because he was Isaac, and Suicune was Suicune, and even compared to the mightiest gods that walked among them their hearts made them incomprehensible to Hoenn.[break][break]

"There's been some changes. I feel . . . calmer than I used to. Like my mind's some crystal-clear pond in the middle of a forest. Stuff that used to get me all worked up just leaves little ripples now." It still felt so strange. Welcome, but strange. "And I hate feeling cooped up more than ever. S'like I'm suffocating. But, other than that? Something tells me they'd rather see me stay true to myself."[break][break]

He remembered Xerneas and . He knew all too well what happened when a legend realized what their touch had wrought.[break][break]

Glowing red crystal bore down on them from above, like the all-seeing eye of a vengeful god. For a moment, Isaac remembered Eternatus. Had his innard stretched between dimensions, connecting Area Zero to the Deep Sea like some kind of quantum centipede? No, no. That sounded insane.[break][break]

Better to focus on what he could help.[break][break]

"She's a kid," Isaac said, concern and irritation bleeding out from each side as he put stress on that last word. "A kid that had everything taken from her by the same group that positioned themselves into her only family. Of course she's gonna be a hard case. She's been hurt in ways you and I can't even imagine. But . . . and I've done wonders for her, and it's not like we're pulling our hair out over it. So I think at least some of that difficulty's on the League."[break][break]

"You guys kinda failed her. A lot."[break][break]

There wasn't any judgment in his tone. If anything, there was only grief. It was the same grief Isaac felt for everyone, from hard-luck grunts like to the monsters in charge like . It was the grief he felt for , who felt he didn't deserve a future, and , who felt she didn't deserve happiness. At least they were adults. At least they could bring this fate upon themselves. But Eris? A child?[break][break]

If the League turned its back on all of its problem children, what monsters would fill the void? He'd already seen through , born and raised in Rocket's clutches, how bad it could get. He'd seen through , the man he loved like a brother, how much worse it could get if left to fester.[break][break]

"But you're right. You guys are her best hope right now. Even if Mes doesn't have some wwird ulterior motives, they're a strange and powerful Pokemon. She's gonna have a target on her head, and a lot of questions she might not be able to figure out on her own. AQUA could be a huge help. Not to join, but to be there for her if anything goes wrong. It's just . . . man, she needs so much help with so much else before we can even think about that."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 1:29:31 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
it's a proverbial question, but she's not so sure the answer is as cut and dry. from her experiences with avatars, their patrons have their own agendas. but she wants to trust him. she wants to trust that, more than anything, he won't be fooled by these higher powers. 

she'll take him feeling calmer and having developed claustrophobia to wanting to go on murderous rampages and break the earth and everything on it. 

"good," is all she says in response, not trusting her own pessimism. 

irritation comes her way and she glances to the side, too late realizing she hadn't expressed her own sentiments correctly, but he rights the ship regardless. and it's true. it's all so true. even if part of her, that ever-prideful part of her wants to snap and say it wasn't her, she wasn't there to make those decisions, that in itself is a weight. 

"i know we did," she says. "and we're still failing so many others, but i like to think that we're doing better. that the amnesty program can help." 

but she bites her lip. "we're revitalizing another branch similar to aqua. sapphire? to help manage that. i want her there, not with aqua. but i can't get to her. we can't get to her. i promise i'll - " 

and a horrible, terrible shriek resonates from the tera crystals above them. calcifer swoops down and bares his back to her; she stretches a hand and crimson drips down onto her gauntlets. she startles. neon blue eyes peer out from the dark. gore hangs from the needle-like fingers of the poisonous dragon that emerges. 

"they're down here too?" she breathes out, not making any sudden movements as it considers them. 
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 22:50:48 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"We can. Giving up's never fixed anything."[break][break]

Who stood to benefit if the League stopped trying? Rocket, who could finally paint them as a different set of monsters. The corrupt who dwelled in the shadows, siphoning off of whatever goodwill the League had. Those who had given up anyway, because nihilistic misery thrived off of company.[break][break]

They didn't deserve that win. Not in Isaac's books.[break][break]

"I can." The words left Isaac's mouth immediately, as if on reflex. "I sure as shit know it'd be a bumpy road. If it wasn't for Mesprit getting spotted, I'm pretty sure she'd never tell a soul. But if she'll trust anyone on this, I know she'll at least hear me out."[break][break]

By now, had to know he'd always choose her. Maybe that would finally get her to trust.[break][break]

All he could do was cling to that hope. The cavern was full of Ultra Beasts, the same ilk that dwelled within Eternatus' innards. The implications left Isaac's gut turning, but he couldn't dwell on them. Not when they were needed to fight. Isaac threw down a Pokeball, a golden glow pulsing from under his clothes as he did so. A helmet, sleek and orange, completed the circuit just as Zephyrus emerged.[break][break]

The mother of dragons would be treated to her AQUA mentee ascending like one, Zephyrus' Fly allowing Isaac to soar through the air unburdened. He prepared to meet the dragon head on, but just before he made contact spread his arms and fell back. It was all a feint, a barb to trick the Ultra Beast into overextending.[break][break]

It would leave it wide open to a Draco Meteor blazing its side.[break][break]

AA0f5VLP

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 4:54:27 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
calcifer can't activate her sygna suit, but she can't worry about that right now. she's seen how fast these creatures are and besides, isaac is already leaping into action like some sun-blessed paladin. 

awe skitters over her as he sails, impossibly so, up and to the waiting beast. its eyes flash, head tilted, and when it slashes at the air where it expected isaac to be, she realizes it's not looking at him at all. 

it's looking at her. poison sprays towards her just as zephyrus' draco meteor rocks into its side. she fingers her cape, dragging it in front of her, but is spared the worst of the spray by calcifer. the charizard swoops down to take the brunt of the attack, maw dripping with angry fire. 

he spits back and the air turns smoky and sour. 

"this doesn't make sense," she seethes. "there are paradox pokemon, but i haven't seen any wormholes. they're - " how did it get here? recovering quickly, the ultra beast shakes its head and looses a thick, pulsing beam of draconic energy in a wide sweep. 

"isaac, watch out! cal, knock it down!" 
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 14:59:38 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"These days, feels like we've lucked put when shit makes sense." The presence of Ultra Beasts here didn't add up, but neither did the crystalline rot that had plagued Hoenn since the Meteno aftermath. Did they truly avert the end times? Or did they trade a quick, merciful death for a slow decay. "The Deep Sea's kinda like this, right? You think Eternatus backed its way into the gap somehow?"[break][break]

The last thing they needed was to form a dimensional centipede with a monster like that.[break][break]

On reflex, Isaac stuck out his hand to call forth a shield of ice. Unfortunately, wrapped up in his Sygna Suit, all it did was leave the air shimmering slightly. "Right, shit-" Isaac muttered, mere moments before a blast of draconic energy overwhelmed him. At the last moment, he clutched a hand to his chest, as if trying to brace himself for the inevitable.[break][break]

When the light and smoke faded, the Naganadel let out a disbelieving hiss. Isaac still hung in the sky, barely phased. In his hand he held the King's Shield aloft, a gift from the Aegislash he unleashed just before impact. He settled his hilt into Isaac's other hand, a smug flash in his eye as Isaac pointed him Naganadel's way.[break][break]

Today, he was both the dragon and the knight.[break][break]

With a beat of his borrowed wings, Isaac shot towards the Naganadel. A shield bash to the face left its ears ringing, giving Isaac the chance to turn and point the sword right at its chest. Luck & Pluck began to glow a radiant white, a Steel Beam erupting from his tip to try and overwhelm the Naganadel before it had a chance to recover.[break][break]

As man and beast dueled in the skies, Zephyrus landed in front of Freya and Cal. His wings idly beat back and forth, ready to call forth a Hurricane to try and deflect any further potshots the Naganadel would send their way. With Calcifer's offense and Zephyrus' defense working in concert, who could stand against them?[break][break]

CyqB9i6v

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 23:01:46 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
this is a man who nearly died running from his past. who was saved, in his final hours, by a deity who deemed him worthy. she's never trusted the reasons the gods choose their worthy, but now she feels she watches him as suicune might have. 

this is not a final stand, but he fights with a tenacity swathed in gravitas. calcifer burns away the toxic projectiles, but he dare not get between isaac's david to the naganadel's goliath. 

the ultra beast chitters in its alien tongue and next isaac and luck & pluck advance, it dodges. zephyrus and calcifer are fast, but neither expect the venomous dragon to completely ignore its engagement and plummet toward them. 

not them

freya twists, fingers skipping over the hilt of her sword and to the empty ball on her belt. empty, but registered. and when she wrenches it free, the naganadel stops suddenly. its warbling sounds like laughter. 

"after all this time," she breathes, "and it's been down here?"