awards
83 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikola
NIKOLA CATELLUS
recovery [ameena]
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2024 23:03:41 GMT
NIKOLA CATELLUS Avatar
there are, of course, multiple routes to regain one's lost memory. most of them take precious time, however, and that's something nikola can't afford to waste. they've spent enough time wandering around confused and disoriented with no sense of self, unable or unwilling to confront the truth. it's likely science caused the problem, so now science has to be the answer.

they're in a hospital bed, hooked up to a machine that they'd love to get a closer look at later. is it similar to a sleep study? they've never done one, but they know the basics of how it works. they'll go to sleep, and from there, they'll sort out their absent memories in dreams. ultimately, it sounds a lot safer than some of the other options they've considered, such as having their brain directly tampered with or trying to induce a hypnotic state.

nikola forces their body to reelax, breathing in and out slowly. one wooloo, two wooloo, three wooloo... slowly they drift off, not knowing what's to come.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
245 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
recovery [ameena]
POSTED ON May 2, 2024 16:08:33 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

Ameena's set of subjects were a little lacking, lately. She jumped at the chance to get into Nikola's head. She had kept all explanations vague. She fully intended to wipe their memory of the laboratory. Gain memories and lose another, it seemed to be a decent trade. Musharna spilled a sleepy mist out while Nikola counted down, giving them no further opportunity to change their mind. [break][break]

The dream realm, in Ameena's experience, tended to be one you fell into gently. When Musharna did it, however, Ameena found entry to the dream realm to feel jarring and sudden. Whatever Nikola's case, unconsciousness came immediately. Ameena watched their expression in the bed as her machine readings showed Nikola in the stage of sleep where dreams occur.

TAGS [break]
NOTES – [break][break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".ameena"]--accent:#EF59D8;font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena a"]font:13px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass][googlefont="Roboto Mono"]
close tab

played by

newt

niko, nikki
they/them
august 26
mossdeep city
bisexual
data entry lackey
rising star
by the time i awoke, i had become a poisonous insect
awards
83 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikola
NIKOLA CATELLUS
recovery [ameena]
POSTED ON May 7, 2024 17:40:11 GMT
NIKOLA CATELLUS Avatar
at first, there's only darkness. it feels like ages as nikola wanders the emptiness of their dream realm, seeing only scattered fragments of memory. in reality, it's only a couple minutes until things start to piece themselves together. they can only catch glimpses of something through the fog... they can see a sterile environment, hear the beeping of multiple machines, and then... an intense pain launches them backwards, as in reality their body seizes up.

they go back, all the way back, right to the beginning. they remember being too small to reach the counter, while still having to get their own water and snacks for themself. they read a lot of books during this time, and envied the adventures the protagonists went on. their appetite for knowledge was voracious, but they had no money and their mother wouldn't buy them anything they didn't absolutely need. they took to doing random chores around the neighborhood so they could buy more books, some of them textbooks on things they hadn't yet covered in school.

their mother took their money whenever she found it, claiming it was her payment for taking care of them.

nikola had no friends, as they now remember. the only person they could rely on was themself. this was how they grew up, bitter and alone, with only literature to keep them company. even when they skipped ahead a grade, they received no praise. they were told they were trying too hard, they were too stingy, they cared too much about money. what else were they supposed to do? aside from knowledge, money is the only thing in the world that matters.

these memories all filter back in. in the real world, their body relaxes, no longer seeming pained. only their expression remains troubled, and their fist unconsciously clenches there in the bed.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
245 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
recovery [ameena]
POSTED ON May 7, 2024 18:45:18 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

She takes note of their stiff body language. They're stiff like a board, but she sees their expression continue to twist in pain. Whatever door their mind has chosen to walk through, it hurts. Indeed, Ameena is confident they are revisiting their memories. [break][break]

She waits for the kid to finally relax, for their breath to even out. "There we go," she murmured, turning to look at Musharna. Her pokemon understands, and spews further dream mist. Ameena wants to see where they will end up in their head if they've just confronted some sort of demon. What is missing? [break][break]

They are spelunking in their own mind, and the additional mist will keep them from coming out until they have seen what they want to see. Ameena is eager for Musharna to eat this dream and relay the data.

TAGS [break]
NOTES – [break][break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".ameena"]--accent:#EF59D8;font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena a"]font:13px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".ameena .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass][googlefont="Roboto Mono"]
close tab

played by

newt

niko, nikki
they/them
august 26
mossdeep city
bisexual
data entry lackey
rising star
by the time i awoke, i had become a poisonous insect
awards
83 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikola
NIKOLA CATELLUS
recovery [ameena]
POSTED ON May 16, 2024 17:45:18 GMT
NIKOLA CATELLUS Avatar
inside the dream, a younger nikola is realizing exactly what they need to do. in order to make money, they need to get good grades in school, which will then hopefully result in them getting a full ride to university... though they still had to pay for board, food, and other necessities. they were able to survive this state of desperate squalor until they'd completed their bachelors, but if they wanted to succeed in life, they'd have to go even further.

this is when they met professor thorne.

at first, nikola thought she was mad. at the very least she was mad and able to pay them good money to help in her lab. they took in test subjects, trying to determine if humans had any of the potential pokemon did. slowly their funds dwindled, and the other assistants left, and they could no longer even afford to pay for test subjects. nikola weighed the sunk-cost fallacy against all their other options, and decided to stick with the project.

they still need a test subject, of course. that subject... was nikola. in reality, under ameena's watchful gaze, nikola's body once again contorts in agony as they recall the pain, the humiliation, the extensive suffering. their breath comes in short gasps, and they mutter feverishly. "forget... forget... make me forget..." now they remember why they wanted to forget in the first place. inside their dream, they're driven to desperation, seeking relief at any cost. eventually, they forget why they came to the lab in the first place, and then they forget where they're from and who they are. it's easier that way, isn't it? ignorance is bliss.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights