6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 8, 2019 17:06:18 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
kyle is bound to appear whenever a gym opens up, usually as one of the first challengers. he is ashamed of the habit, especially with people who follow the battling scene now thinking that it's standard protocol.

nevertheless, he keeps up the tradition, if only because he wants an ever growing collection of badges.

arriving at the reception area, kyle goes straight to the front desk, where he meets . "i think i made an appointment," he says. he takes out his id card from the league as proof. standard procedures in this gym were much more formal compared to the traditional just-walk-to-the-front-door-and-issue-a-challenge approach.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 9, 2019 4:48:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Ah, one second please." The receptionist looks over his trainer ID and types in his name, confirming his appointment and logging his visit on record. "Thank you very much. He's been expecting you. If you follow straight behind here there should be a set of double doors down the hallway. He should be past that."

The road diverges into three and the path straight ahead leads to a long and wide hallway. Big enough for several people, at the end rests the double doors that separate the main building from the standard battlefield. It's nothing fancy, a wide stretch of empty gym floor set for an other official League battle. Opposite where Kyle will enter from is another entrance, set for the Gym Leader and leading deeper into the Battle Frontier. On that end of the battlefield is a PC. Fernando has his back turned, browsing through his boxes to review the Pokemon he has in storage.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 9, 2019 13:57:38 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he opens the doors, taking a moment to take in the surroundings.

the large expanse before him is satisfying for him, but at the same time, unnerving. it's too plain to make the experience new. on the other hand, it brings him to wonder what kind of gimmick makes this challenge different from the others. he cracks an awkward smile, uncertainty filling his emotions.

"mornin', mister silph," he greets. calling his friend's sibling by his surname still feels weird to him. "tada. it's me. league's favorite badge collector."

he remains at the entrance, waiting for the gym leader to take notice before he budges from his spot.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 11:26:04 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando perks up at the sound of his own name. By now, he recognizes Kyle's voice. Third times a charm and the councilman can't help but welcome the challenger with a wide grin. "Why am I not surprised that the first challenger would be you, Lopez. What's that make, your fifteenth badge?"

Two Pokeballs materialize on the empty tray beside the PC. Fernando leaves them alone for now, more interested in his guest than anything else. "Actually, I'm glad it's you. There's a lot of things I've been meeting to discuss with you. I just haven't had a chance to sit down and talk with you."

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 15:38:46 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"more or less the fifteenth, yeah," he responds, humoring the council member and now gym leader.

while the greeting has kyle loosen up, he shudders at the way fernando continues his part of the conversation. his eyes remain at the pair of pokeball left at the pc before they go to fernando, who stands up and just leaves them there. the trigger fingers relax as he gets the feeling that the momentum is to be brought to a stop.

"a-are we doing this before or after the battle?"

realizing his wording may have been rude to an extent, he quickly adds, "cause i'm fine either way. what do you need from me?"

[/quote]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2019 3:24:25 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando finds humor in the question and laughs accordingly, mild mannered and dismissive. "Do you think you can battle without giving your Pokemon any commands? We can let them loose and see what happens but I was hoping to discuss quite a few topics with you. It's been a while."

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2019 3:45:36 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"it's gonna be messy..." kyle doesn't want to explicitly say that his pokemon do not act appropriately in battle without a leader. "but eh. they'll be fine."

he releases two of his mightyena from their confines, both of them sitting down before their trianer. "wait for the signal before you go wild, m'kay?" like preschoolers to their teachers, the dogs sit quietly, barking once for affirmation, as their tails wag. the two of them watch kyle as he walks away from the entrance and towards fernando.

"you have my attention now, silphy." the nickname was something that just came out of him, but given the time to process it in his head, kyle figures calling him that wasn't so bad and awkward as his other attempts to address him.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2019 4:02:25 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando frowns. "Messy." Even if Kyle is an Elite Four member, there's a degree of dignity and poise he expects from a person of this position. The lackluster answer he gives afterwards does little to reaffirm his fears. Regardless, Fernando still ends up at the PC, taking the two Pokeballs from earlier and shooting their beams onto the far end of the battle field.

It should come as no surprise that the Pokeballs contain the same Pokemon that were advertise for the double battle. The Golurk and Aegislash combination he had employed during the Hoopa invasion finally come to fruition and the Pokemon stand apart, Aegislash rotating around the Golurk with a twirling SWORDS DANCE. The grounded golem remains still, hardening as its IRON DEFENSE reinforces its exterior.

"Well, there's a range of things I wanted to ask you. We can start with what I'm the most curious about. Why didn't you accept Tapu Koko back during the Aqua Festival?"

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2019 7:36:51 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"i don't really want the power to be honest," he answers, scratching his chin. "but it's more like i don't want any further attention to myself."

kyle couldn't help but slide a glance at the battle. basing his pokemon on personality instead of moveset is what makes or breaks the game. without any instructions given, his pokemon would have to rely on compatibility with each other more than their combination of moves. this wouldn't be the first time he lets them act on their own accord, though this was the first time he does in an official match.

maybe choosing two of his most chaotic mightyena was the right choice.

like a bunch of frat boys, both of them snarl and growl in an attempt to intimidate as soon as they saw the opposition get ready. one of them takes a step up, barking as to taunt them into attacking. the other joins the jeering, but does so in a different way.

the snarls turn sinister, and not too long after, the terrain appears to be filled with shadows. a pool of darkness extends from the mightyena's feet to the entire battlefield and countless hands appear out of the shadows, floors and walls, reaching towards the pair of ghost-types as if to drown them.

never-ending nightmare.

the hands are relentless, chasing and pulling the ghost-types out of the shadows should they attempt to do so. they come at high speeds as they grab every limb of their targets that they can get ahold of. everything was in echo's domain now, regardless of whether they can phase through the floor or not.

the attack brings damage to any part of the facility that may have been caught in the zerg rush, which was part of the reason why kyle was reluctant to not give instructions to his pokemon.

"oh, and people will clamor more for the presence of legendary avatars instead just skillful trainers in the face of adversity like the creature that appeared on mossdeep, right? technically, they do possess more power. i just kinda don't want that hassle." he turns to fernando, scratching the back of his head. "does that, uh, make sense?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2019 22:01:31 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "Fair enough."

There's no way for Fernando to decipher between the minute differences in the Mightyena's barking. The TAUNT goes amiss by his observation due to being unaffected by it. It is his Pokemon that are subjected by an innate desire to attack. Fernando fully expects his Aegislash to KING'S SHIELD at a moment's notice but neither opponents attack.

Yet.

What comes next causes his eyes to go wide as the Mightyena manifests an onslaught of ghastly hands to assault his duo. He's never seen an attack like that and Fernando can barely keep his demeanor, both shocked and absolutely ecstatic. "What attack is that? I've never seen anything like that."

This is worst than Darkrai's nightmare. At least there, Fernando and his Pokemon had been apt enough to avoid the lecherous hands that had strangled those around them. This time, there would be no safety in maneuvering out of the way. The precision of each hand entangles both Pokemon and start to tear at them, threatening to pull them apart, piece by piece. The damage they take is immeasurable and the most that they can do is try and struggle through the terrible hold. His Golurk reaches for the Aegislash hoping for some defense from a KING'S SHIELD but the Pokemon never protects, unable to due to the TAUNT. The Sword and Shield formation starts to crumble.

The sash arm of the Aegislash points at one of the Mightyenas and the Golurk uses every fiber of its being to throw the Aegislash forward like a javelin, tearing through the lingers hands with a SACRED SWORD as the weaponized Pokemon surges forward to skewer the Mightyena with its sharpened edge.

Busting out such a strong move straight from the get-go turns this into an uphill battle for his Pokemon but Fernando is fine with that. His excitement is seeing both a new technique and coming to gauge just how skill the Elite Four are. It's not wonder Kyle managed to conquer so many Gyms.

"But I think you misunderstand something. While we may think that legendary Pokemon and Avatars will be beacons of hope and integral to our protection they also serve as a liability. What happens when one of them gets hurt? How will that effect us? There are Legendary Pokemon that are rumored to control aspects of our life such as the weather. What happens when they're defeated or even killed? That makes skilled trainers, such as yourself, more important than ever. Their well-being will become you utmost concern."

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 2, 2019 0:22:29 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"that one? he got it after i fed it a passho berry." he scratches the back of his head, starting to get unsure whether it was common knowledge or not by now. nevertheless, he informs the council member. "i think that's called a z-move. i haven't really been allowing them to do that move since, you know, it's too destructive."

as the opposition's formation falters, his pokemon starts to piece theirs together. delta charges forward aggressively towards the attack, conjuring a barrier with protect against its blade. behind him, echo starts to walk slowly towards them as he shouts and snarls at the ghost-typed pair, sinister energy accompanying the sound based move.

"that still makes regular trainers like me the second line of defense instead of being in the front line. that's still fine with me." his shoulders gave way to a shrug. "and after being name dropped for that news article for rocket's defeat and being one of the elite four, adding another distinction to that is just gonna put a lot of expectations in me."

kyle likes the pressure, but it was more about having his back against the wall kind of way instead of the overbearing responsibility of meeting everyone's expectations of him.

"i like taking care of my mental health," he says, jesting.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2019 3:43:31 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando listens intently to Kyle's explanation. One by one, the pieces start to come together and Fernando connects the dots. The berries in his possession can lead to this type of power? Even Tapu Fini has ingested one of the Passho berries, having found it on its own while scouring Hoenn for various sources of energy. Fernando thanks Kyle for the tip and quietly savors his newfound knowledge. With several of these berries in his possession, he can't wait to experiment and test out how they effect his Pokemon.

"Not quite. That makes you both the front lines and responsible for our greatest assets, however troublesome they may be." Fernando sits there for a moment, humming. "Don't worry about anyone else's expectations. They're meaningless. The only expectations you have to meet are my own and I just want you to try your best. That's why I endorsed you, Lopez." Fernando averts his attention to the battle unfolding and reaches into his back pocket to pull out his wallet. From one of the card slots he slides across his business card. "My personal info is on that. Feel free to reach out whenever you need my help. I know it's a lot to ask from you but you won't be doing it alone."

The SNARL from his Mightyena wrack both Pokemon until the Golurk phases out of vision, turning ethereal with its PHANTOM FORCE. The Aegislash doesn't have the same ability and instead continues to strike at the PROTECTED Mightyena with various swipes of its SACRED SWORD.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2019 16:06:31 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
phantom force. it was a move that his pokemon had little experience against, though kyle knows what the moves entails.

his mightyena panics for a moment when the golurk disappears, coming into senses only when his partner yelps in pain when the sacred sword hits. it quickly changes target, firing a shadow ball at the aegislash to stop its onslaught of attacks. the other one uses the moment of reprieve when the attack reaches to where the aegislash was to lunge forward, crunching into the hilt of the sword, more specifically where the eye is, to grab it and smash it to the ground in one fluid motion.

"ehh... i don't like being important," he whines.

he shifts his sights away from the fight and to fernando, taking the card when he it is given. he stares at it, unsure on how to respond besides uttering the word expected from him when he receives help.

"thanks."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 13, 2019 1:28:58 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "Oh?" Fernando is genuinely surprised by the statement. While Kyle has never shown any inclination toward either ends of the spectrum of fame, at least in his eyes, Fernando's never considered someone who's cleared the Gym challenge would want to keep a low profile. "Yet here you are."

The CRUNCH lands mid-strike and the Aegislash is thrown to the ground, diminishing the impact of the SHADOW BALL from landing a clean hit. The phantasmic energy still implodes at the point of impact and the residue spreads onto the Aegislash, damaging it further but far better then being hit clean from where it was prior. The moment it lands, the shield readjusts, swirling in a spin as cycles into another full revolution of SACRED SWORD.

By now the PHANTOM FORCE pulls the Golurk back into reality and it materializes behind the Mightyena that had used SHADOW BALL. From nothingness, the Golurk launches forward with an IRON FISTED DYNAMIC PUNCH.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
howls [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2019 19:28:41 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"to be fair..." he shies away from answering bluntly, though upon realizing that he has to follow up those three words with an actual statement, he continues, smiling cheekily at his answer. "...it does have its advantages."

his eyes never leave the battlefield. watching the golurk land a clean hit at the mightyena, echo flies to the other side of the field from the impact. kyle is left scratching the back of his head. he tries to focus on the conversation, but the action keeps reeling him in.

the mightyena staggers back up on all fours as it lands from the hit, leering at its attacker as it bares its fangs. "you don't even bite, echo," kyle comments under his breath. it shows its aggression through a snarl, its volume now more akin to a roar as the it gets amplified through its own echoes within the closed room.

delta meets the sacred sword with another crunch. the force throws the mightyena back, but his fangs finds their mark. the bite pokemon's fangs test their mettle against the steel, all while it intimidates it into submission from the deadlock.

"can i ask something though?" kyle doesn't wait for a response before presenting his question. "since when were you planning on being a gym leader? i assumed you always were busy even with just the council position."