played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
Through the Fire and Flames [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 15, 2019 20:11:26 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
[attr="class","anniepost"]
Mission: Fire Force
Funnily enough, it wasn’t the smell or sight of an inferno that had woken Annie or her Chansey from their slumber, Rather, it took the ungodly thud of something giant catapult the girl from her sleep. Her eyes swung their focus onto the source of their troubles – the gargantuan trees that bordered Fortree City were in the distance, collapsing into what seemed like an endless cloud of black smog. No, she thought. Not a cloud. Clouds belonged in the sky, and this was rising towards it, out of the ground.

Her dozy brain slowly put the pieces together. It was a forest fire. A big forest fire. A rapidly growing, rapidly approaching forest fire. Not just approaching her, but the city. Already, the smoke threatened to blot out the sunrise; even if anybody was awake, they’d be in the city, too far away to help any time soon.

If she knew her mother, she wouldn’t be able to kiss her after the words she muttered. She couldn’t just leave. She’d never forgive herself. At the same time, fire-fighting wasn’t on her list of specialties. Today was as good a day as any to learn, she thought, scrambling out of her sleeping bag. “No time to pack up, Fortuna! There’s, er…” Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a Pokemon – Oddish, maybe – near-screaming. “Yeah, t-that! There’s going to be hurt Pokemon in the area I’ll need you to help them, okay?!” The pink ball, worried as it may have looked, bobbed its body forward in affirmation. “I’m going to fix this.” “Chan?!” “I don’t have details for you yet, alright? You do your job and I’ll do mine! We’ll meet back here after, pack up camp and get a good breakfast to treat ourselves. See you then!” Annie took off, leaving her oversized backpack and sleeping bag behind. She didn’t bother to look back – if she had, she would have noticed her Pokemon slowly waddling after her.

As they got closer, sounds of the tranquil forest were replaced by the panic cries of its inhabitants. The world grew darker as they got closer to the smoke, until even Annie knew better than to get closer. Within seconds, she’d sent out her Lapras (which hovered a few inches off the ground in the absence of water), who was quick to let out a bewildered cry. “Yeah, I don’t know either, but we can’t just sit here! It’s down to you to put it out!” For half a second, the monster seemed to consider scolding her trainer, but decided there were bigger fish to fry. And so she turned to face the flames, reared her head back and unleashed a jet of water into the edges of the inferno. If it had any effect, it wasn’t immediately apparent, but that wasn’t going to stop either of them. “Keep them coming, Melody! Even stopping it from spreading is great!”
[attr="class","wizzcred"]
wizz

[newclass=".anniepost"]margin-top:25px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".anniepost b"]font-weight:lighter;color:#cb4335; [/newclass]
[newclass=".anniepost i"]font-style:italic;color:#cb4335; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2019 9:39:51 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","anotheronedark"]

tag
notes
sorry for the wait!

It's Katas who wakes him.

Absol, the disaster Pokemon. It comes down from the mountains to warn humanity of disasters, and Orion knows the moment he opens his eyes to stare into the Absol's red that there's something wrong. Katas leaps off the bed from where he'd been crouched on Orion's chest and begins to pace as the ranger quickly dons a t-shirt and his pokeball belt. There's not enough time to get fully dressed, to fix his hair, so he stumbles from his Fortree residence in a wrinkled shirt and pajama pants with messy hair and bags under his eyes.

He spots the problem instantly, of course.

Fires rage through the picturesque forest on the other side of the city. The air smells of charcoal and heat. Orion's running with Katas at his side, hoping that the plumes of smoke are superficial, hoping that it's not nearly as bad as it looks.

He hears shouting as he closes in on the blaze, skidding to a halt near a girl and her Lapras. Oh, thank fuck. The sheer relief in knowing that there were others braving the danger to combat the forest fire overrode any sort of trepidation the ranger may have otherwise felt at the prospect of social interaction, and he takes only a moment to catch his breath before he speaks.

"Orion. Ranger. Do you know when it started?"

He tosses a Pokeball and an Espeon appears in a flash of light that's consumed by the brightness of the flame. It might seem an odd choice until his order, "Rain Dance!" and a localized downpour forms in the sky above. Of her own volition, Delphi then prepares to lend a HELPING HAND to the Lapras, knowing instinctively that it'll have an easier time of combating the disaster.

"I don't have much other than this," he says, rushed and apologetic as he gestures toward the rain clouds. He's still out of breath, pulls out his phone. "I'll — text the ranger stations, we'll just need to keep it in check until back-up arrives."

His Absol has disappeared, but Orion's not worried. Katas will have gone to warn the other residents of Fortree, he knows.

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".charactername"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername b"]color:#A490FF; font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername i"]color:#A490FF; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2019 16:19:38 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
It doesn’t take long for help to arrive, but not the kind that she expected. An old man and his partner Pokemon, thinking that they had time for introductions. “Who knows and who cares?! We can find out all about the fire after it isn’t destroying everything!” Her tone was aggressive, but hopefully he’d understand that it wasn’t meant at him. Few teenagers could claim they’d been caught up in a natural disaster, and though she’d had the sense to try and stop it, her eyes reflected the flustered fear that she felt.

At least he seemed calm. Controlled. At least, much more than she was. It reminded her to take a deep breath – and then not to, because inhaling the smoke wasn’t doing her lungs any favours. His Pokemon didn’t look like water types, but as long as they could do something, anything to quell the flames, she wouldn’t complain. “Alright, let me see another Hydro Pump, Melody! If we can make some sort of line of water, the fire might not spread an- Wha?” Under any other circumstance, a Chansey wouldn’t have been able to sneak up on her, but the chaos allowed Fortuna to get close enough to pat her side. “What’re you doing he- You know what? Not important! Copy Melody and help her douse everything!” Fortuna nodded as much as a ball could, rushing back and past the strangers to aid her team member.

An already powerful move, enhanced by the rain and bolstered by Helping Hand. It would have been a sight worth cheering about, if not for their predicament. The force of her own attack forced the Lapras back a few feet. Fortuna took on a blue aura, mimicking her movements to unleash a jet of water onto the forest. She was sturdy enough to hold her position, but their power took even their users by surprise, and earned a confused glance from her trainer. “I don’t know how you did that, but keep doing it! Did you do that?” She pointed at Orion and Espeon, giving them all of half a second to respond before- “You know what? Not important! Just keep helping, somehow! Maybe there’s some guys stuck in there! Or whatever started the fire! I don’t know!”
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2019 17:22:38 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
sorry for the wait!

She snaps aggressively at him, and it's only the gravity of the situation they're in that keeps Orion from firing back. His jaw shifts and his lips press into a hard line but he keeps it together. She looks young, she looks stressed, and he's not here to get into an altercation. He's here to help.

So he does, to the best of his abilities, the rain drenching his mussed hair and plastering it to his scalp. If he didn't already look a damn mess—

The girl asks if he's responsible for the increased power of the Hydro Pump, and he's opened his mouth to reply when she barrels on, cutting off whatever he'd been about to say. His brow furrows, eyes narrowed.

"Okay," he says, when she finally takes a breath. "Just — breathe, all right? It's going to be fine. We can handle this, there's help on the way, you don't need to panic. We'll do what we can."

Delphi's gem is already glowing as she prepares for another HELPING HAND, and so Orion knows he doesn't need to give her any direction, but he does so for the benefit of the other trainer. It was easier to know how to cooperate when they were on the same page. "Keep it up with the Helping Hands, Delphi, you're doing great. You know what to do if the rain starts letting up."

His Absol appears then, its cry muffled by the object in its mouth. Orion holds out a hand and Katas drops a Pokeball in it, to which Orion reacts with a confused look. "Is this one of ours?" He tosses it to reveal a Liepard, serving only to further his skepticism. "Katas, she's not a battler and she doesn't know any water moves, what—" He stops as the Absol and Liepard appear to communicate before Crocus begins to kick up sand toward the edges of the blaze. "Brilliant. Katas, you're brilliant. OK, OK. We've got this."

He sends out his Honchkrow next, the bird emerging with a started squawk.

"Set us up with a Tailwind, then go search for anyone trapped further in."

They couldn't waste valuable time crashing through a burning forest with their land-bound Pokemon, but the aerial advantage would allow them to pinpoint the location of any Pokemon or people who might not have made it out in time. The TAILWIND kicks up as the Honchkrow beats its wings and ascends into the skies, giving their whole team a boost of speed.

ESPEON USES HELPING HAND ON LAPRAS!
LIEPARD USES SAND ATTACK ON THE BLAZE!
HONCHKROW USES TAILWIND!
RAIN DANCE IS IN EFFECT! (2/5)

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2019 19:14:23 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
Take a breath? She already took one whole breath, and it barely helped! He may have had a point, somewhere in there. Nothing was going to be helped by her freaking out. Her Pokemon would look to her for guidance, and she needed to convince them that she kind of knew what she was doing. She took a precious second out of her day to stare at the man. Help. Right, he’d said that he’d called for backup. Things weren’t so bad. It was just an inferno. “We’ll do what we can,” she repeated – quieter than him, and than anything else she’d said since she’d woken. “Do what we can. Right. I can do that.”

More of Orion’s Pokemon arrived, and she found herself feeling a pang of guilt. Half her team was already doing their best, and the other two were small and young, with no defence against the flames. They’d be no help scouting through the flames – not without putting their lives at risk in the process. Annie could be overconfident, but she wouldn’t have her partners bite off more than they could chew for her sake. So it was up to Fortuna and Melody, which wasn’t to say that they were doing poorly. In fact, with the Espeon’s support, she thought she could see less orange in front of them! Granted, that could have been because of the growing smoke, but she was choosing to stay positive. “Good thinking, Oreo! Hey, question! Do you think that your wingman could clear the smoke up?” It was so obvious that it was almost insulting, but she’d often forgotten easy solutions when under pressure. “Or I can have Fortuna copy the rain thing somewhere else, if they go off together. Not now, though!” She waved a dismissive hand at the Chansey. “You’re doing great for now, just keep up the super-water.” And so they did, empowered even further by a seasoned trainer’s quick thinking.

The sunrise was countering the darkness that came with the smog, and the heat form the blaze was slowly being cancelled out by the rain. Perhaps it would bother the man, but Annie? She’d spent too long on the road for a little thing like being drenched to slow her down, though the cold might become an issue once all was said and done. At least she’d gotten a free shower for her troubles.

wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2019 19:47:18 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
sorry for the wait!

Oreo?

At first, Orion's sure she's referring to one of her Pokemon. She's talking to him, though, and it clicks after a beat. What kind of a nickname is that? He's not even sure whether to be insulted.

"Orion,"
he corrects, a little stiff. "And — no, unfortunately. All he'll really do is fan the flames, and that's the last thing we need right now." The fire was spreading enough without his help. "None of my others have anything for the smoke. If I'd kept that Shiftry—" He curses under his breath. Nothing that could be done about it, now. Besides, he'd released the Shiftry for a reason. It wasn't meant to be a captive Pokemon. "I could teach my Absol how to use Razor Wind, but that would cause similar problems."

No, there was no way out of smoke but through it, it seemed. At least their combined efforts were starting to have an effect.

"One more of those Hydro Pumps from each of yours and I think we'll have this section of the blaze taken care of." It's still raining; the bark on the trees begins to change colour as they dampen, reducing the likelihood that it would spread further into the city. "It gets worse further in, though. Do you feel safe pressing on, or would you rather wait for that back-up?"

He turns to meet her gaze with a serious stare, hoping she'll be honest with him. He's a ranger, it's his job to get into danger for the sake of Pokemon, but this girl — he'd be surprised if she was out of her teens, yet.

ESPEON USES HELPING HAND ON LAPRAS!
LIEPARD USES SAND ATTACK ON THE BLAZE!
RAIN DANCE IS IN EFFECT! (3/5)
TAILWIND IS IN EFFECT! (2/3)

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2019 0:02:00 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
She didn’t acknowledge the correction, if she heard it at all. What she did react to was him explaining that her suggestion was perhaps the worst thing he could do for them. Of course it was. Only a racing mind could think that giving fire more air was a smart idea. “Right. Yeah, no, please don’t make the fire stronger.” Something about teaching his Pokemon a move on the fly mostly flew over her head, added to the list of questions she could pester the man with once they were done. Before that, they had a choice.

They’d done more than their fair share to help fight the fire. Nobody would blame her for walking away. And yet, as Melody fired the last of her water blasts, Annie hesitated. Perhaps she was too stubborn to walk away from a half-finished job. Maybe she had a particular vendetta against fire and the destruction it brought. Or this was all a ploy to make sure her camping gear wasn’t ruined.

Her gaze went from the man to the ground. They settled on her monsters, her false bravado starting their loop of confidence. Neither trainer or Pokemon would allow the other to see that they were weak, as long as there was a job to be done. When she met their eyes and saw their determination, she knew that she couldn’t give up before they did. Their look was relayed to Orion. “We can keep going. Just because it can’t spread doesn’t mean it won’t do more damage! People- Pokemon and their homes are in there!”

She turned to her sea beast, both hiding whatever strain they were feeling. “You’ve been fantastic, Melody. I’ll bring you back out when we’re near the fire again, alright?” She gave an understanding nod – it was only through the power of Pokeballs that she could be summoned on land, and it didn’t help her move in a timely manner. A ball was pulled out, and a Pokemon was zapped into it, leaving Annie and Fortuna to stare at Oreo expectedly. “Let’s go. Just lead the way.”
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2019 13:26:31 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
it'll be reward eligible after my next post! we can still continue on, or i can turn it in after my next one, just dm me w/ your preference or make a note in your post! <3

Orion thinks she's going to turn around and call it quits, and he wouldn't have blamed her... but the girl surprises him. There's a fierce determination in her eyes, mirrored in her voice when she airs her convictions. His lip twitches, an almost-smile, and he nods.

"Let's go, then."

They look to him to lead, and he does, but it's the Absol who guides him; Katas navigates the safest path through the flame-scarred forest and around the fallen trees. The rain is quieter as they venture beneath the canopy, reduced to a distant pitter-patter on the damp leaves overhead. He can still hear the crackling of flames, feel the heat from what fires had yet to be extinguished.

"Hello?"
he calls into the darkness, cupping his hands round his mouth to magnify the sound. "Is there anyone out here? If you're trapped and in need of rescue, try to call out if you can!"

There's a groan of a collapsing tree further into the tangled forest, and a frantic flutter of wings as bird-pokemon take flight. No voices nor Pokemon cries answer his call, but it isn't long before they happen across what must have been the source of the blaze. There are signs of a battle: scuffed ground, scattered footprints, and a charred path through the undergrowth that Orion thinks must have been a fire-type's attempt to gain the edge on their opponent. Whether the battle had been held by trainers or wild Pokemon he couldn't say, but he turns to the girl.

"If there's no one trapped that can hear us, the best we can do is tend to the fires until our back-up gets here." He checks his phone, curses when he realises that he's lost signal. "They should be here soon," he assures her, "the Rangers are always quick to respond to something this important. But for now..."

He whistles, and his Pokemon look to him for direction. He hears a sharp crowing from overhead that indicates that Kora is listening, too, the Honchkrow circling above them.

"Kora, go back to the edge of the forest and guide the Rangers to us when they get here!" Another answering call, and he knows his avian companion has heard. "Katas, you go and look for any survivors. They might be too hurt to call to us. Um—" He realises he doesn't know the girl's name, still, and hesitates for a moment before shaking his head. Not important right now. "Er, do you think your Chansey could join him? I know you'd mentioned she can duplicate Delphi's Rain Dance — do that again, Del! — and spreading the rain might be a good idea."

The fire's too big for them to put it out all by themselves. They were doing a great job, but — but there were only two of them, and their Pokemon, and this was a full-on forest fire.

The rhythmic pattern of raindrops on the forest canopy grows louder as Delphi once again uses her RAIN DANCE to strengthen the weather.

"Thank you," Orion says with sudden sincerity. He looks very uncomfortable with the gravity of his words, but presses on regardless. "For coming with. You didn't have to."

RAIN DANCE IS IN EFFECT! (1/5)
TAILWIND IS IN EFFECT! (3/3)

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2019 23:11:22 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
OOC: Tagging: orion
I've written an easy out for Annie, but Orion's free to invite her somewhere or follow her to Camp Annie in another thread!
The girl gave a nod, beckoning for the Chansey to follow. “Shout if you see anything dangerous,” she called to the party, though she doubted anything could take them by surprise at that point. Absol, Oreo, Espeon, Annie and Chansey ventured into what most sane people would call a bad idea. At least, the girl reasoned, there was no way she’d burn to death while soaked.

Besides, she was in capable hands. The man’s disposition had barely wavered throughout the disaster, and he was doing a much better job than herself at pretending he knew what he was doing… If he was pretending at all. On the other hand, she jolted at the crash of yet another tree. She tried, and mostly failed, to play it off with a few wild gestures. “Thought I saw something… Never mind, just excited.” Her Pokemon wasn’t convinced or impressed, but urged the child on with a few positive calls.

Soon enough, they found what appeared to be the source of their troubles. Someone, or something, had picked a fight in the night. Whether the darkness had affected their aim, or the culprit hadn’t thought their attack through, they’d destroyed dozens of homes, and perhaps lives. Those weren’t the kind of thoughts Annie wanted to be having before breakfast, and if the man looked, he’d see as much on her face. “It’s just… such a small thing. One bad move and everything’s on fire.” The spirit had left her voice as she surveyed. “And if we hadn’t been here…” She fell silent, shoving her hands into her pockets. Her eyes widened at the ground. “If we hadn’t woken up…”

A hard tap from Fortuna acted as a brief distraction, and the Ranger’s commands provided something more substantiable to focus on. It might have even been enough to keep her happy, but a brush with death was hard to let slide. It wasn’t until he addressed her that she remembered to look up, as if snapped out of a daydream. “…Yeah. Go, Fortuna.” Chansey gave pause, if only to give her master a concerned look. She waddled off to obey within seconds, keeping the Espeon within her sights while keeping at a distance to cast the Rain Dance elsewhere.

Annie kept her head low as her eyes followed the monster, until Orion addressed her again. “Huh?” An eyebrow slowly raised. “No, it’s fine. I… had to. Didn’t want to see that happen again.” Her mouth hung open as if it had more to say, but with a shake of her head she decided against it. “We’ll get going, after your friends show up. I don’t think I’d be that helpful, my camping stuff is either soaked or charred, and I have no idea where we’re getting breakfast from now. Not that I did before, but I bet the stores in Fortree will take a while to open now.” She showed a frown for half a second, but that too was shaken off. “I should be thanking you, Oreo. It was nice to have somebody around to help. Maybe I should say more, but this-“ She stretched her arms out, gesturing to the blackened remains of the forest, and the ongoing blaze in the distance. “Doesn’t feel like the best place to talk.”

wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 1:13:49 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
<3

Again?

He doesn't miss the word, nor the pregnant pause the girl takes after uttering it. His brow furrows in concern and he waits without interrupting, but when she continues... he has a feeling it wasn't what she'd been about to say.

He doesn't pry.

It's not his place, and what good would it do to dredge up something she clearly didn't want to talk about? Orion wasn't the best at dancing around these kinds of social issues, and so he smooths his expression into something neutral and nods as she prepares to take her leave.

"They'll be here any minute," he says of the Rangers, for the sporadic signal on his phone had activated just long enough to send the confirmation text. He doesn't realise that her breakfast situation might be more dire than she's letting on, but he's kind enough that he hesitates only slightly before he says, "I live in Fortree, you know. The businesses might not be open for a bit, but my house is far enough away from the fire that it shouldn't have been affected. You're, uh, welcome to come over for something to eat." The offer hangs in the air only a second before his awkwardness consumes him like a tidal wave. In the absence of a mission to keep him focused, he's far less put-together. "If you want, that is."

The rain's coming down even harder now, and Orion glances around at the half-soaked, half-charred forest. "We should probably track down our Pokemon, first, regardless of what we do."

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,652 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 23:27:59 GMT
shiv Avatar
[attr="class","reward"]mission complete!
[attr="class","reward2"]annie receives the following: 50 poke, 5 infamy, free water-type pokemon evolution.[break]
orion receives the following: 75 poke, 10 infamy, free water-type pokemon evolution.