Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
You're the pulse in my veins, you're the war that I wage, can you change me?
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2020 22:52:50 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

Her higher-ups must be mad, they had to be. Even the sweet air of the town did nothing to calm nerves that had no idea what to do. Breeding!? Of Pangoro!? She was certain if they didn't like each other, nothing could possibly change their minds!

As if to prove her point, a Pangoro locked eyes with her and scowled, crossing its arms stubbornly. Great, they were already protective over themselves. She herself looked away quickly, not wanting a fight with only a single Pokemon on hand. Her partner, Ormr, glared heavily at the Pangoro, assuming a threat in the huge bears. "Quit it. No biting." She snapped, careful to keep her voice low and unthreatning until the scowling bear huffed and stomped away, pointingly avoiding other Pangoro.

Great start, she supposed, they weren't trying to tear her limb to limb yet.

She didn't get started on the job yet, she couldn't. Love was already a muddled concept to her, and she hoped the Ranger she was working with today had a better idea of what needed to be done to spawn love...she only hoped she didn't look incompetent in front of a Head Ranger...

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2020 9:44:56 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

To say that Orion had accepted this job begrudgingly would be an understatement: he was no breeder, how the heck was he supposed to know how to get Pokemon to like each other? But the ranch owners had seemed desperate, so... here he was, wrinkling his nose at the scent of manure as he lets himself in through the gate.

There's a girl already there, and he sticks out a hand.

"You must be Kaida. Orion Lykos."

He hesitates on saying anything more. Did she know who he was already? He had gained some renown with the rangers, but would it be presumptuous to assume that his name was a familiar one? Probably. His throat constricts at the thought.

"I'm a ranger, too," he says, after a beat. "Looks like we're partnered up for this one. You know anything about Pangoro mating habits? I did some research before coming out, but, uh, to be honest almost any experience beats Dr. Google."

Shrugging, he releases two Pokemon from their capsules to act as guardians: his own mated pair of a Nidoking and Nidoqueen. He certainly hadn't needed to do anything special for them to decide they liked one another, but he could tell just by looking at the ornery pandas that he and Kaida wouldn't be so lucky today.

eI2oKg2k

hope this works! rolled right off so i don't forget

[newclass=.orion] width:300px; text-align: justify; font-size: 11.5px;background-color:#444444;padding:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.orion b] color: #4ab97b; font-weight:lighter;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2020 19:12:17 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

She wasn't waiting long, and turned to meet her partner, greeting already on her tongue as she accepted the handshake. "Good day...I heard your name, a little." The specifics escaped her, as did most things that involved the politics or leaders of the League, but she was aware of being in front of an important man. More important than her, at least. Yellow eyes watched the newcomer curiously, Ormr sensing a sort of nervousness, and uncertain what to feel about such an "important" human.

Her face fell slightly at the question, and she turned over to the Pangoro yet again, "...Nothing much, they talk with their fists and can be angry Pokemon, but I don't know how that translates to breeding...they seem stubborn. How do stubborn people love each other?" So just the basics seemed to be what she knew, they weren't Pokemon she had to deal with often, and never in this context.

As the Nidoqueen and Nidoking were released, she nodded at them, almost smiling, and her face was back to normal in a second. She didn't look nervous anymore, as a possible thought struck her, "...I heard Nidoking fight for a Nidoqueen, maybe the Pangoro need a challenge like that?" It wasn't a terrible idea, she hoped, they'd at least be allies after facing a threat.

e|5W584t

(Rolled as well, let's base the events off the roll! Please be good!)

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2020 12:24:18 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

He's not sure whether to be flattered or terrified by the implication of her words. He plays it off with laughter, sweat beading on the back of his neck.

"Good things, I hope."

The Ekans catches his attention, its beady yellow eyes fixed upon him. It might have unsettled anyone else, but Orion merely smiles at the coiled creature.

Kaida, it seemed, had about as much information on their targets as he did. He'd braced himself for such an outcome, and disappointment is minimal. This wasn't exactly a priority job for the Rangers, after all: the couple had been more than happy to take what they could get, lest they lose their business to inaction.

Her (likely rhetorical) question startles a laugh out of the councilman.

"Not a clue. Your idea doesn't sound half bad, though; I'll get my Pokemon to spar, see if it spurs them on a little."

A sharp whistle draws the attention of the power couple; Nidoking is more responsive, having been with Orion longer, while his Nidoqueen spares him a lazy glance as if loosely considering obedience.

"Time to show off, you two. 'king, Poison Jab. 'Queen, Body Slam!"

Their clash shakes the earth, Nidoqueen's powerful slam managing to unbalance her mate before he regains his footing and jabs his horn at her chest. They make a dramatic show of it, growling and stomping, and Orion looks over at Kaida with a shrug. Maybe...?

rip, less than 100, no goodies for us :P (feel free to decide how the pangoro respond!)

[newclass=.orion] width:300px; text-align: justify; font-size: 11.5px;background-color:#444444;padding:20px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2020 18:25:22 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

"Good things." Kaida repeated dully, and then nodded easily, "Good things. You're better than I am." Her words rung true, even as her voice stubbornly refused to change to reflect anything. Nor did she change much at the laugh, except acknowledging it with a small voice, "Funny, right? Who's mad enough to send the least knowledgeable?" Not even a single Pokemon breeding expert? It was a miracle they even came up with a plan.

She didn't think they had a bad plan, all things considered, and for a second she thought they had it. The sparring turned some heads, and angry-looking eyes narrowed in an emotion Kaida couldn't read. Some even started to approach! "...We got attention." She mumbled, and looked up at Ormr, who drew back a little...did he sense something? Instinctively, she stepped back. Of course, in that moment a Pangoro leaned forward ominously and bared its teeth, another basic fact of Pangoro surfaced in her mind.

"Pangoro hate bullies." Ormr bristled as a Pangoro's growl shook the air, "I think they think we're making them fight!" Her voice raised in alarm, drawing closer to her partner. "Still," Her grimace looked more like a smile, "They don't look like they hate each other now."

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2020 2:26:23 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

Orion chuckles at her words, shakes his head.

"Now I don't know who told you that, but they're full of it," he says, smiling at his own self-deprecating comment. "I know about as much as you do on this job, maybe less. I've just been around long enough to get attention."

His new role as councilman certainly helped. People started to recognize him even outside of the rangers, and that made him feel all kinds of uncertain. He was socially awkward at the best of times.

His sparring Pokemon seem to draw the attention of the Pangoro couple, and Orion's elated... until he notices that their anger seems a little... targeted. He steps back instinctively as the lumbering creature leans forward and bares its teeth at him, a clear warning. He's not sure what he'd done to offend — until Kaida speaks up. Shit. He had read something to that effect, hadn't he?

"O-Oh," he laughs, nervously, nose wrinkling at the smell of the Pangoro's breath. "No need to worry, you two, they're just having a friendly spat. Right?"

Leia barely seems to hear him, still trying to bowl her partner over, but Leus' ears flick at the sound of Orion's voice, and he carefully disengages from the overeager Nidoqueen. She seems confused, perhaps a little offended, until Leus grunts and speaks to her in their language that Orion can't understand. Whatever had been said, the Nidoqueen reluctantly shakes herself off and calms down.

"See? Just friends. They're just having fun. That's all."

Being savaged by an angry Pangoro was not on his agenda today.

these poor rangers

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2020 5:41:41 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

There's something expressionless in the Pangoro's face briefly as the "fight" ended, studying their faves as if looking for treachery from these strangers. A sudden puff of air hit Kaida's face as its teeth showed in a less aggressive display. A Pangoro laughing at her was one of the less terrible ways this day could have gone, so she'd take it.

A "friendly" smack on the back nearly sent Kaida reeling as the feeling of mirth started to spread among the bears. Shaking their heads and chuffing out laughter, the Pangoro backed away, the mass hilarity and ridicule of these strange humans over.

Kaida finally felt the safety to open her mouth again.

"...I don't think they'll take us seriously anymore...and I'd rather not make them mad again." She admitted softly, "I think they need a real breeder, before we become punching bags." Maybe she was a little quick to give up, but dying on a mission like this would be the worst way to go, she'd imagine. It wasn't worth it.

(This went so delightfully wrong)

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2020 6:45:49 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

Orion hadn't realised he'd been holding his breath in anticipation until the Pangoro turns back to its companion with a huff and the ranger sighs in relief, sweat beading on his brow. That had been more intense than he'd signed up for.

Kaida's ready to throw in the towel, but in spite of their failures thus far, Orion doesn't share the sentiment.

"Nah, c'mon," he encourages, offering her a brief smile. "We're rangers, we can't give up just like that! If things get too rough, my Nidos'll protect us, don't worry."

Basileus, the male, snorts and stamps his foot in agreement on the matter when Orion glances at him for moral support. As ever, the Nidoqueen looks less interested, but Orion figures she'll go along with her mate.

He pulls out his phone, the Rotom inside it greeting him enthusiastically as it blinks awake.

"Hey, pal," he returns. "Can you find me some more suggestions for Pangoro mating conditions?"

Thankfully, his Pokemon doesn't sass him on the request like it had earlier. That's a weirdly specific thing to be searching for, but OK! This time, he buzzes in affirmation and begins to pull up various articles and studies. Some of them were things Orion had already read, but he's drawn to a series of forum posts between Pokemon breeders discussing the particularly ornery natures of the bears.

"Apparently the environment has a lot to do with it... gotta really set the scene? They're from a pretty lush region in Kalos, so replicating that in Hoenn might not be too difficult... got any grass Pokemon? I've got a few... my Trevenant's good with plants, if all else fails."

these poor rangers

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2020 17:36:11 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

Kaida narrows her eyes at the duo of Nidos, "Ok...I can see that. Fine then." She doubted much could beat the duo of Nidoking and Nidoqueen, especially if they had something to protect. Ormr relaxes on her shoulders as she steps towards the Nidos, feeling thoroughly protected by the duo. "Let's give it a go, then.

"So it's the place?" She spoke as she peered over at the Rotom phone, casting a glance around at the bare grass of the ranch, "I'd hate it too...nothing like they live." She couldn't shake the feeling that the ranch could have saved them lots of trouble if they did some research on the Pokemon too!

She took out a Pokeball, having no reason for the Servine until now, and released her. "We never controlled plants with her, but she learns fast, she can do it." She spoke fondly of the little grass snake, who twined around her legs and looked up at Orion in rapidly growing curiosity.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2020 17:54:12 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

Orion silently agrees with Kaida; perhaps the ranch wouldn't be in financial danger if they performed basic habitat construction and actually looked after the environment their pairs were living under!

"Ah, what a beautiful creature," he says fondly as the Servine is released, smiling at it. "Your Ekans, too. You've got good taste."

Orion's reputation as a collector of all Pokemon strange and unsettling often precedes him: he specializes in ghosts, dark-types, Pokemon with psychic links to their trainers. Spiders, snakes, anything venomous... he caters to Pokemon that many other trainers leave behind as a result of misunderstandings. As for the psychic-types, they understand him.

He pulls out his Trevenant, releases her into the freedom of fresh air. She seems perturbed to be away from their home in Fortree, with its lush foliage, but relaxes upon sighting her trainer.

"You're a natural with the environment," he says, and does his best to show the spectral tree the images from his phone. He's not sure whether she comprehends, though the Rotom appears to communicate something with her. "Do you think you two could make this," he gestures to the Servine, then to the pitiful excuse for a breeding ground, "look more like this?"

He indicates the pictures, hopeful.

Wood groans and creaks as the specter inhabiting the tree moves its bark-clad limbs. The Pangoro watch with evident curiosity as she lumbers into the center of the field and plants her roots. An unnatural growth begins to overtake her immediate surroundings: grass becomes thick and lush, the leaves on the nearby trees take on a vibrant green, and the Pangoro... seem intrigued? At least, that's what Orion's hoping their less-aggressive expressions can be taken to mean!

these poor rangers

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2020 19:20:10 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

A noticeable brightness entered Kaida's eyes, and she crossed her arms to avoid swaying in sudden happiness. It was far too often she'd get a comment about the "creepy" factor they had, not a genuine compliment! "Thank you, they're my dear family." Her lips curved upwards in a rare, toothless grin. Freki herself practically preened in pride, quite suddenly deciding she much liked this human, for whatever reason Kaida worked with him.

Looking at the screen, Freki let out a little squeak, looking up at Kaida with confused eyes. "You're a grass-type, it's in your blood...try instincts, it's like breathing." The grass snake took in a deep breath, and darted after the tree specter, shimmering with a green glow of Mega Drain...she was using it on herself?

A burst of energy suddenly exploded out of the Servine, Overgrow activating a surge of energy that suddenly made the grass spill over as she darted about, adding lush conditions around the breeding ground. Nearby, a Pangoro slammed a paw down on the grass as if checking for an illusion, and looked surprised as the springy grass jumped back up. At least this environment engaged them, Kaida would have to tell the ranch owners to keep the vegetation as lush as possible. The Trevenant in particular drew Kaida's attention, even with Freki's help, it was clearly doing the most work.

"Your Pokemon are good too...they're like friends, and strong and happy looking...you're good, not like these ranchers." Good with Pokemon, in a genuine way. Kaida rarely gave out compliments, a useless plesantary unless meant truthfully...well, she felt truthful.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 5:33:34 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

"I think the Rangers would kick me out if I wasn't." The lighthearted jest is accompanied by the brief flash of a smile. The compliment stokes the low-burning fires of his ego, and so he offers something a little more genuine, next: "Thank you, though. I do my best."

Pokemon were not simply tools, or a means to an end. He'd met plenty who viewed them as such, but to Orion, they were partners. Their health, safety, and happiness were as important to him as his own.

His thoughts flicker to the Type: Null, that unknown chimera whose presence still haunted him. He pushes such unpleasantness away.

"They seem to be enjoying the greenery, at least." He watches as one of the Pangoro — the female, he thinks — butts her shoulder against the bark of a tree and scores her claws deep into the wood. The male rolls lazily in the grass, as if further testing its authenticity. "It's a shame I don't have any equipment with me to test the water quality; usually I borrow that kind of thing when the job requires it. It's clean, at least, no obvious signs of contaminants."

He glances back toward the ranch, ensuring the owners were nowhere near.

"We'll need to include the conditions in our report. Maybe get someone out here to do a welfare check in a few weeks, make sure everything's still running smooth. I want to believe they've got the Pokemon's best interests in mind, but you never know."

these poor rangers

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 20:25:30 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

As the Pangoro's mood seemed to increase in intensity and spirit, Kaida's mood seemed to be starting to drop, hitting a peak as she raised a fist to her forehead. It seemed to get worse at the talk about the Pangoro's welfare, until she found a chance to speak. "Thank you for not letting us leave." A great frown creased her face as her irritation seemed to grow, "I like important jobs, Pokemon needing help...and then I give up on things like this." She was aware of her reports, she was seen as rather apathetic towards jobs, and to have an important job in front of her that she nearly abandoned felt...bad.

A Pangoro batted a paw playfully after her darting Servine, "But they look so happy now, and I want it to happen more so...thanks." She fished out a phone, there was no Rotom, but it did fine for her. "I'll mark it down...it's the least i can do." She had to make up for it, for the Pangoro. Bare environment incompatible with the Pokemon, irritable and short-tempered Pokemon, and lack of interest in socializing with each other.

"I hope they consider it...especially from me." She smirked, "Maybe if they know your my partner, they'll do it."

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2020 6:05:43 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

A pang of empathy resonates with Kaida's words. Hadn't he been much of the same, once? He knows what reports used to say about him: icy, closed-off, pessimistic. It had taken years of working with the rangers for Orion to grow into his position. Slowly but surely, he was gaining in confidence.

So rather than being critical, as another superior might've been under the circumstances, he is understanding.

"Hey, I know how it feels. But you've gotta have faith in yourself — or if not yourself, then your partners." He gestures over to where the Servine had worked her magic alongside his Trevenant. The Pangoro wrestled in the grass, growling playfully. "Even if they don't end up mating, we've made them happier. We've done what we can for the Pokemon."

After all, that's why he'd accepted the job: not for the reward, nor for the ranch, but for the Pangoro.

"If they don't, I'll just have to track down myself," he laughs, speaking of the Head Ranger. "But don't worry, I'm sure they will."

these poor rangers

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
Understanding [M/FF]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2020 18:15:35 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

Perhaps she wanted some criticism, because she found herself surprised by kind words, eyes flicking to Orion in disbelief. Ormr pressed close, encouraged by the man's words, and she felt a pang as she raised a hand to pat the serpent fondly, "...You're right, I can trust these guys." And regardless of her previous actions, they had helped. Dwelling was to focus on the past, and that was a one-way trip to weakness...not now, and not ever.

"I'll go hunting them too if a check-in doesn't happen." With a stoic face and dulled tone, one couldn't tell if Kaida meant a joke or not, not until she continued, "...Heh, kidding, they're good, it'll happen." She spoke with certainty, and why wouldn't she? There was nothing she couldn't do simply. Everything happened or it didn't, so she had to say it'd happen. Partners in hand, that was just a certainty.