2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2018 4:37:22 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
she had never really set foot in a gym before, and would do so with a nervous air about her. additionally, cait wasn't entirely sure what to expect, though she remained eager, open-minded and hopeful that she would perhaps even encounter the owner of such a renown establishment. those whom were gifted the title of 'gym leader' were a cut above the rest, after all, their companions capable of magnificent feats of strength. 

'and i barely know how to battle properly.' 

it was a wonder she managed to acquire the title of cadet despite her inexperience. but she was informed that she'd develop a talent for it in good time. 

'i wonder if i'll even have that,' she thought. 

the young woman could be considered a positive-minded individual overall, but a hint of doubt had plagued her recently. when it came to fighting with her team, her reaction time and decision making was lackluster - and she hesitated far too often. she was getting better bit by bit, but she needed to gain experience through a form of practical exercise. 

'i believe this is mister petrov's gym, if memory serves.' 

a shaky  and silly little smile began to take shape, her heart swelling as she eagerly took in all which surrounded her. 

'i can't believe i'm actually here.' 

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2018 10:15:34 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

the doors of the gym slide open, snapping him out of his daydream. it's a girl he doesn't recognize, but then again he barely recognizes anyone who's a challenger. their faces all sort of blend together: young, feisty, with high hopes and a goal that's too hard to achieve. pokemon champion: the title humors him.

regardless, he won't deny them a chance at their dream.

"welcome to the sootopolis gym. i assume you're here for a challenge?" he takes a step forward, around the counter, and approaches her. "you'd be facing me: nikolai. this way, dear." 

despite being a steel-type gym, the decor tells otherwise: the battlefield is comprised of different patches of land with the largest one in the middle and around it is water, deep, cold, and unforgiving if one were to fall in.

smiling, he speaks. "two on two. no items. no switching out." he throws out two pokeballs and his team take their positions on the battlefield. he doesn't need to give them instructions; they've done this routine far too many times.

"any questions? if not, you can have the first move."

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2018 11:18:27 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

cait stared at the handsome fellow for an embarrassingly long period of time, her mouth slightly agape as she had found herself swept up in a challenge she hadn't asked for.

"i - what -

finding herself suddenly unable to form a proper sentence, she opted to shut her mouth and attempt to categorize her thoughts whilst simultaneously making sense of her predicament. 

'what do i do? what do i even say?' 

flustered by his sudden appearance, and by the combined presence of his pokemon whom faced her. 

"i mean i want - i just -

she clasped her hands before her, dipped her head, and struggled to come up with a potential 'quick fix' to such a troublesome scenario. it was only after taking a few deep breaths that she managed to calm herself before retrieving two pokeballs from the steel bands secured 'round her wrists. her hands trembled terribly as she did so, her gaze flitting about. 

"r-right.

her butterfree and beautifly would appear before her once their respective capsules had been tossed. 

'i get the first move. gods, what are steel-types even weak against?'

she honestly had no clue, and she feared she was terribly ill-equipped to even handle a team such as this.  

"butterfree, use 'tailwind'!"  

cait looked to her beautifly, pursed her painted lips, and just barely managed to come up with an idea within the span of a few seconds. 

"beautifly, 'stun spore'!

the pair executed their moves in response to the verbal command, with their speed being doubled as a result of the strong breeze being whipped up. the 'stun spore' was also positively effected by the winds as the spray of toxin sped toward the hardy pair. 

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2018 13:08:35 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

he moves at an impeccable pace, not slowing down once to even acknowledge her as he introduces her to the gym and gives her the short rundown. he can tell she hasn't had a gym battle before and by proxy it tells him she's a relatively new trainer. either that, or she's not as confident as she should be.

she summons her pokemon and the battle commences.

TAILWIND conjures up strong winds that flow through the gym, soaring across as it ruffles his attire and hair. but he lets it. STUN SPORES travel in the wind and he has to admit that it's smart. maybe she isn't so new after all.

bisharp's precise X-SCISSOR cuts a hole in the air that redirects the surge of wind, avoiding being paralyzed but that leaves escavalier prone to being affected. the STUN SPORES land on escavalier's armor and slows him, almost immobilizing and as he struggles to move, all he can do is watch bisharp carry on without him.

bisharp moves with unrivaled speed, hopping left and right, jumping from platform to platform before landing on one close enough to NIGHT SLASH at butterfree. escavalier remains immobile but that doesn't stop him from using IRON DEFENSE to prepare himself.

"hey, dear!" he calls for her attention. "don't be so nervous. you're doing fine. look, you paralyzed escavalier." a little bit of encouragement might do her some good. "now it's time to capitalize on it."

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2018 6:04:39 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
she had very nearly lost all focus once the gym leader referred to her as 'dear', stifling a quiet little titter as her face grew hot.

'focus,' she thought. 'just try your best and focus.'

cait was pleasantly surprised that her hastily put together plan had produced a positive outcome, the escavalier rendered temporarily immobilized. unfortunately, her butterfree would suffer a direct blow from the bisharp, 'tailwind' having failed to offer the necessary speed needed to deftly dodge the bipedal steel-type. 

'is she okay?' 

the butterfree required only a moment to effectively recover, having maintained a sloppy hover before righting herself and refocusing, her compound eyes flitting between her two potential targets. 

'okay, i'll just - ' 

"use - uh - mmm.

'c'mon. think. think faster.' 

"butterfree, use 'giga drain' on bisharp! beautifly, use 'super sonic'!

"butterfree?

"beaut?

both pokemon remained stationary, cocking their heads to the side with bewildered expressions pinching at their rounded features. 

'oh.' 

the warmth that had previously warmed her cheeks now grew intensely hot as cait very quickly realized that she had somehow mismatched their respective move sets. 

"oh, gods. i can't believe - 
close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2018 10:11:56 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

the battle spirals out of control but not in a way that he's familiar with. her reaction to the unfolding battle tells the tale of someone who's way too nervous; for reasons he actually can comprehend because he has a firm idea. orders spill out of her mouth but nothing comes of it but confusion. her pokemon are as stranded as she is.

the battle pauses with three clicks of his tongue.

"hey—it's okay." 

he sheds his obligations to continue the battle for a moment as he jumps across platforms, crossing over the cold water before reaching the one she's on. he approaches her calmly.

"why are you so nervous?" he asks a rhetorical before breaking out in a chuckle. "calm down, dear. it's only a battle! if you lose, you lose. it's not the end of the world. you can always come back again later, i'm not going anywhere." he won't, but the gym will. but that's a tale for later.

he offers her a compassionate smile; one that he doesn't normally portray. "is this your first challenge?"

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2018 12:09:59 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"i'm so sorry, sir.

the girl ran her hands through her mass of green curls in exasperation as he approached her whilst offering up that infectiously warm smile of his. 

"i don't mean to waste your time.

'i guess i wasn't really ready for something like this.' 

visibly disheartened by her initial failure, she released a hefty sigh that made her weary state far more obvious. she was a terrible mixture of embarrassed and anxious; and it didn't help that she was doing this in front of someone whom she idolized. 

"i'm not a challenger," she said. "i don't care about a badge. i just really wanted to meet you. to see what right looked like."  

cait paused, attempting to calm herself down by taking a few deep breaths, a slight tremble present within her words. 

"i'm a fresh recruit for the league," she admitted. "before i joined i never really battled, you know? my butterfree and beautifly were basically just pets before all of this.

she rubbed her face, her eyes stinging somewhat. 

"gods, i must look like an idiot right now. maybe i should go?
close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 25, 2018 9:32:12 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

maybe he had been a bit too eager and had roped her into a battle she never wanted, and with every word she speaks it becomes clearer and clearer that he's in the wrong. the worst part is that she's blaming herself.

"you're not wasting anyone's time, dear." 

he interjects when the moment is right. "and no you don't look like an idiot. if anyone looks like one, it's me!" he chuckles to break the tension.

the facade of the charismatic and charming gym leader is shed to allow for a more personal moment. a ghost of his past resurfaces through his smile and his words.

"come on," he gestures her over to the side of the platform and sits, folding his legs in as to avoid the water that surrounds them. "you said you were a fresh recruit?" he aks even if she didn't follow him.

"your pokemon are stronger than they look and they trust you, and that's what's important. you just need to be a bit more familiar with them." he gives her a moment to process his words. "you already have a bond with your team that's strong; use it. learn their moves! that's most important." 

he smiles at her. "i'm not the best role model for you, dear. but i know potential when i see it." it might be a lie but it's a lie he's willing to tell for her because it's one she needs to hear.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 25, 2018 13:30:33 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"potential?"

disbelief edged her tone, her frown having lessened but still remaining firmly in place as she stared at the man before averting her gaze. 

'he's probably just trying to be nice.' 

but despite this, she nodded, having situated herself comfortably at his side. she peered into the water, and was half-tempted to dip her hand into it. 

'it's been a while since i had enough free time to swim.' 

"butterfree - beautifly.

she beckoned for her companions to come closer, the pair obeying the simple order and fluttering before her. they appeared to be concerned, having taken notice to her downtrodden mood; and cait couldn't help but smile fondly at them, reminded of the very first time they had met. they had been a gift for her eighteenth birthday, and she had been utterly delighted to have received the caterpie and wurmple. 

'my very first pokemon.' 

"i've got a long way to go," she said, her gaze shifting to look past her companions. "i'm just worried i won't have enough time to prepare for what's coming. rocket's at our door and what happened to kanto could just as easily happen to us if we aren't fully prepared.

'gods, i sound sad. pathetic, even.' 

still, it felt so good to say it. she hadn't opened up like this for a good while, and she felt a weight gradually lift itself from her shoulders as a result. 

"i think that's why i want to be a little like you, if that makes any sense. you don't seem to be at all intimidated by all of what's happening.

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2018 4:22:44 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

rocket. it makes his blood run as cold as the icy waters beneath them. her words ring a tone of truth but he doesn't confirm it; what good would it do? he sits in silence and listens because that's all he should do. he knows rocket is at their door. he knows what rocket are capable of.

he knows hoenn will fall.

"you don't want to be like me, dear, trust me." there's no chuckle to accompany his words anymore. the tone of the room dips for just a moment, just until he catches on to it. he won't scare her more than she already is.

"look, i'm sure you'll be fine, but if you're ever in trouble just come find me." he didn't have anyone to protect him from them in kanto, and now that he's in a position of power to help, he feels a sense of responsibility that urges him forward. "i'll keep you safe." he smiles.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2018 4:40:31 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
his promise to keep her safe left her feeling strangely uncertain. gods above, the young woman knew she wanted nothing more than to graciously accept his offer. something about his mere presence urged her to do so and play the part of the damsel in distress.

'it'd be so much easier to go down that path - but i can't just leech off of someone else. it wouldn't be right.' 

"thank you, sir."

she took a moment to shift her gaze and peer up at him, taking in his handsome features and his physique. both his physical attributes, his deep voice and his tone spoke of someone whom was meant to lead both men and women. 

'i wonder how much pressure he's under?' 

cait was aware that a leader's responsibility extended far beyond their gym. they were expected to lead and manage a plethora of underlings that looked to them for some form of guidance. and now that they were at war, there was likely far more pressure that had been placed upon the man's broad shoulders. 

"but i think others need you far more than i do.

it was strange being so close to someone whom you idolized, especially one whom proved willing to offer you the attention you hadn't realized you wanted. no one had ever truly sought to offer her such a thing aside from her parents, and it caused something within the woman to flutter pleasantly. 

"why did you become a gym leader?" she asked. "and was it all worth it in the end?

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
rise . [ c ]
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2018 18:51:50 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

she refuses his help and for once, he's genuinely surprised; stunned, even, but he hides it well. her response doesn't seek a reaction but he gives one anyways in the form of a nod. he respects her decision; a part of him is relieved that she had turned him down because he has enough on his shoulders as it is.

carrying another burden is not what he wants.

she asks a question to move the conversation along. "they needed someone to replace the old leader. i guess i fit their criteria the best at the time." he looks at her before pondering her last question.

"i can't say yet."