part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Nov 23, 2020 21:21:34 GMT
Katherine Fairburne Avatar

[attr="class","katherine"]

“One of us did.”

Katherine adds, almost reluctantly. She doesn’t want to admit that someone managed to upset it already - but the fault does not lie with her. “It showed up in Mauville not too long after we did. It was less recognizable, but I know that it was Giratina.” Her index finger taps against her own glass a few times, confirming that she’d also like a refill.

“It attacked Lane before disappearing again.”

Thankfully, there were even more witnesses for that.

“But I believe that’s it.” Nothing else comes to mind, and frankly, whatever other sensitive information Kat happened to hold was personal. One day, she might have to disclose it but not today.

“Is there anything else you’d like to know, sir?”

notes:

[attr="class","katherinetag"]

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #7a737e; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Nov 23, 2020 21:58:18 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Sounds like Lane had quite the adventure. I’m glad you all managed to make it out safely.

In other words, Fernando has nothing to counter act her point. The image she’s painting Lane to be is not a pretty one but he resolves himself in the scientist’s tenure. Other League members have been found guilty of making dumb decisions, why would he be the exception? Of course, this all hinges on one person’s account. How the stories match up will prove more interesting than not.

The discussion leaves room for movement and Fernando won't let her slide out without giving him a proper answer.

Let’s double back to Blacephalon. Tell me more about it.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
good girls go to heaven, bad girls rule the world
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Nov 23, 2020 22:16:43 GMT

“I believe that you’re already familiar with its power.”

On that front, there’s nothing new she can tell him about the Pokemon.

“I encountered it on Mt.Pyre. I do routine patrols there at least once a month to check up on the ghosts there.” It’s in the nature of the very ghost-types Katherine specialized in to cause problems and stir conflict, even in their own natural habitat. Katherine’s simply come to accept it. “There wasn’t a wormhole insight, so I figured that there’s a chance that the Megalopolans set up some base there. I had to make sure that it was alone, so I waited a pretty long time before I engaged it.”

The words flow naturally, a well-practiced story brought to life.

“It took a full team of Pokemon to actually bring it down but I gave it the antidote eventually. From there, it was nothing but a cakewalk.”

Much like the many Poipole who’d been captured, she tells the tale as if Blacephalon merely had no way to resist the League’s well-crafted concoction.

“That’s about it, I suppose. I admittedly did try to get it to open another wormhole after the war, to see if it's possible, but nothing seemed to work. If I had to guess, I’d say that the antidote weakened it too much.”

notes:

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #7a737e; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2020 0:49:54 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“With one aspect of its outburst, yes. But I’m sure there’s more to uncover.”

He account of Blacephalon is plausible at the surface but it reveals more about her character than it does the Pokemon. Like Alexei, such information should have been processed and released to someone. Not necessarily her possession of the Ultra Beast but at the very least its sighting. Had this been a clue or lead to more extreme circumstances, the blame would fall squarely on her.

But none of that really matters; his time in the League has shown that Fernando is the only member that tries to hold anyone accountable.

There are several more clues in her story and Fernando writes a few more words to help commit them to memory. Most importantly, he has a good idea of the space and time their encounter came from.

You managed to subdue it with six Pokemon prior to administering the antidote? How many causalities did you register? Have you observed any change to the Pokemon after the antidote, whether it be physical changes such as shape and size, or behavioral?

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2020 18:22:18 GMT

“No, not exactly.”

There’s a short pause when her eyes drift down to peer at the notes the councilman had been writing, but there’s not much she can see before looking back at Fernando. “One of my pokemon managed to sneak up on it during the fight and helped me push the needle in. This clown, Blacephalon, it loves to perform. I don’t know what it is about this pokemon, but it’s all it cares for, and it was also its downfall.”

Again, she’s not lying. This is an accurate description of her ultra beast despite the fact that the tale she’s spinning is an imaginary one.

“My Cofagrigus just got lucky. That’s about it.”

She considers his next question for a short while, mulling it over in her mind. The Blacephalon she’d received wasn’t exactly the terrorist of New Years in terms of power - but it wasn’t that far off.

“I don’t think I’ve noticed any physical changes, no. But it’s turned more mellow, I suppose. More… Receptive.”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 6:25:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] One of her Pokemon managed to sneak past its defenses? Considering the unbreakable wall it had projected during Slateport, Fernando finds that hard to believe. However, with all things, he considers the possibility and gives Katherine his benefit of the doubt. It would certainly explain why hers seemed so much weaker in comparison, at least by her own retelling.

Interesting.

The word is more filler than anything else. Fernando keeps his thought to himself while reaching for his glass once more. “I suppose the only way to find out is to see it in action. Another time, when things are calmer, perhaps?

He contemplates this with a sip, weighing his options, before swallowing.

I appreciate your cooperation so far, Fairburne, but experience has taught me not to trust so easily. I believe you so far but I need you to put some skin into the game.” There’s a hint of a smile on his face as the MISTY TERRAIN on the floor starts to darken into a more lavender purple.

In exchange for a secret I hold close to my heart, we’ll wager a bet. If everything you’ve told me so far is true, you should have nothing to hide, no?

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 6:31:46 GMT

“Perhaps.”

It’s all she says in regards to his remark about the ultra beast’s prowess. It will come to another test, she’s sure, but who knows when it’ll be and if Fernando and Katherine will be standing on the same side or opposite ones.

The change in color of the MISTY TERRAIN does not go unnoticed, but there’s little that she can do about it without blowing her cover and raising more alarms. Katherine continues to sit there, somewhat uncomfortably but steady as if nothing has changed.

“Hm… No, I wouldn’t say that. There’s plenty I still hide and much more that I bet that you’re hiding,” It’s less of a confession and more of a fact being stated. “We’re only human, after all. But if you’re referring to this - to what I’ve already told you - then yes. There is nothing I am hiding from you.”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 6:45:53 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Naturally. We all have our secrets, or so I am starting to learn.

In a moment of weakness, of uncertainty, his eyes flicker to his glass, eyeballing how much remains before returning his end of any possible eye contact. His open right hand rests on the surface of the table, drumming his fingers against its surface softly.

That and any secrets that I should know. Anything that I need to know on behalf of the region or the League. Or, I suppose, anything I would want to know.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 6:51:27 GMT

“No, sir. There’s nothing else that you’d want to know.”

Business related, at least. There’s no doubt that he’d have loved to know more about her - Katherine is convinced of that. Who wouldn’t want to unravel the secrets she holds?

“I am an open book,” Despite a confident tone, she’s not very convincing, “Whatever you want to know, ask away.”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 7:15:30 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]That’s all he needs to hear.

Although the alcohol they’ve ingested isn’t nearly enough for either to fall off their rocket, it’s enough to loosen themselves up. Or at least he presumes Katherine’s near the same state he’s in. Being able to cut loose eases some of the nerves he has with twisting the more nuanced portion of his powers and he draws Tapu Fini’s attention with a snap of his fingers.

I trust you, Fairburne, but trust must be earned.

The creaking of Tapu Fini’s shell opening echoes within the room. Despite the texture of the keratin based tissue, it sounds of expired wood, a true representative of the after life as its coffin comes undone.

Tapu Fini and I can read the mind and heart of those we judge.

The purple mist overtakes the MISTY TERRAIN and only Fernando’s will holds back the second offset of his powers.

The more deep-seated the lie the more your subconsciousness will turn against you, even if you’re unaware. The more you hide the more violent the reaction.

It’s a simple explanation and essential for this to work.

Are there any secrets you’re hiding from me that I should know?

A vague one that’s sure to pull a reaction.

Anything the League would want to know, anything you’re desperate to hide from the League and the ramifications that come from it?

This one’s a bit more specific but the tail end should be good enough for an excuse.

About Blacephalon?

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 7:27:45 GMT

Fernando Silph was either an idiot or a liar.

And frankly? Katherine already knows which of those was right. Such an ability, assuming he wasn't lying, would have made his life a lot easier and hers much more difficult. A lie-detector would’ve brought Rocket out of its hiding spot a long ago, she’s sure. And while there might be some truth to what he’s saying: she doesn’t buy it just yet.

This is bait.

This is a test.

“Is that so? Will you tell me what number I am thinking of? Because it sounds like quite a party trick you got there, councilman.”

Truthfully, it’s not a number that she’s thinking of but a card. Queen of Hearts.

She has a feeling that comedy is less of what he’s looking for, however, so she leaves any other jokes to herself. Instead, she focuses on his instructions and prepares herself for whatever he had in store for her.

There’s an itch that she feels, an instinct that tells her to retrieve a Pokeball, but she ignores it.

It’s not a fight she will win. Not today.

“There is no secret about Blacephalon that I am hiding from you, Fernando. You have my word.”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 8:07:36 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“It’s a bit more nuanced than that,” he answers nonchalantly. “Legendary Pokemon, and the powers that be, tend to be more fickle than we’d like.

Draw her out. Buy time. His own timing has to be impeccable for this to work. The longer he can constrain her from abruptly answering him the more likely he is to succeed. He needs her segue into her answer to be smooth for the reaction to be immediate.

Something superficial like that won’t do. It needs it to be something you’ve buried, something held within the depths of your soul, or so Tapu Fini says. The rules behind it are a bit more specific but please bear with me.

And, patiently, he tries to count to an unseen rhythm. An eight count goes off in his head and he uses it to focus on her every word. At the tail end of ‘you’, halfway into her recital of his name, the SELF DESTRUCTIVE MIND ALTERING mist seeps in. It rattles every neuron on the way in, shooting straight through her brain, and firing off impulses like a terrible overdose.

His own timing in combining his abilities are far from perfect but that’s why he has Tapu Fini with him. When the mist rolls in so do the specters from the afterlife. , , , , Thalia Bosch, and even reprise their forms from the MISTY TERRAIN, inching closer as they try to claw at Katherine. Their forms lack any real substance so they’ll do no harm but the psychological effect should be enough. Each one lets out a ghoulish murmur, no more than gibberish to anyone beside Fernando and Tapu Fini.

I believe in the League and everything they stand for. I trust my colleagues to make sound decisions and trust them with my life.

Fernando’s own ‘dark secret’ comes to light and the ghouls turn on him instead. It’s enough to ‘attract’ their attention, a clear indication that his statement is his well buried lie.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 8:19:50 GMT

She hated drugs.

Too unpredictable and unstable to be prepared for, they were the antithesis of alcohol. With alcohol, she knew what was coming. When it’ll hit her and how it’ll feel. This, however, is different. It’s strange and unknown like a drug, and no different than one that’d been slipped into her drink.

He wasn’t given permission to do this.

Her eyes dart here and there as if following something that threatens to escape her gaze. Katherine isn’t sure of what it is, she doesn’t recognize it - and what isn’t familiar, is unsafe.

It gets worse when the ghosts come to life and the image of a man she thought she’d never see again stands right before her.

“L-Lance?”

It speaks, but she fails to understand what it’s trying to say. “Lance, it’s me. It’s Katherine. I— I am so sorry. I should’ve been there,” Her eyes are already wet, but seeing the specters trying to reach for her is enough to cause the tears to spill.

“I would’ve protected you, you wouldn’t have died if I was there, I…”

She rarely cries.

But it’s even rarer for Katherine to show such weakness in front of others.

“Why is he here? Why are they all here? What the hell is the meaning of this, Fernando? What kind of a sick joke is this?”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2020 8:33:26 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“This is a judgement of the heart.

Fernando stands poised, unaffected by the sight. proves the most vicious, clawing at his face with every swing of his arms. The moment he makes contact with Fernando, his flesh turns into a flurry of pixie dust, reforming into his hand moments later. This ‘Lance’, her ‘Lance’ continues to ignore her in lieu of the latest lie, his own.

Whether you know it or not, Katherine, you lied to me.

Balled fist tremble and through concentration Fernando is able to get his specters to remain motionless. They become dormant, no more than well manufactured puppets. Lance continues to keep an eye on her as does Stone with him.

The recently deceased return to judge you. It always picks someone close to you. The rest are people you’ve met, or shared a space with, sometimes no more than unknowingly crossing paths on a busy street or in a crowded mall.

His eyes narrow and his scowl is matched only by the distorted image bleeding through her haze.

They’re here because you're hiding something from me.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
TURNCOAT
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2020 6:25:56 GMT

It’s torture, as far as she’s concerned. Whatever name Fernando prefers to give it doesn’t change what it really is.

She’s being tormented with ghosts of the past, which is ironic, all things considered. Katherine was not known for her moral compass, and for a good reason, at that. The gym leader was concerned only with herself, she’d taught herself that the only person who’s well-being matters is her own.

Somehow, Fernando and Tapu Fini manage to threaten that and spark doubt within her.

“Hiding what? I told you everything about Blacephalon! Everything!”

Her voice is shaky, but mostly due to the fact that Lance never breaks eye contact with her. His stare pierces through her defenses and she’s left fragile, weak.

As distraught as she may be, she is unsure as to what he’s trying to poke at. What’s his aim, what does he expect her to say? In this current state, she’d be willing to admit anything. Truth or lie. But of course, she’d have to be led there.

It wouldn’t be a confession as much as it’d be her trying to put an end to his show.

notes: