2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
picturesque . [ private ]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2020 20:26:50 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
the ranch appeared to be a picturesque setting despite the apparent chill in the air, the surrounding area it encompassed well-maintained. wooden fences were neatly aligned and clean, the creatures contained within granted acres of space to roam in decently-numbered herds.

"what do you think, rapidash?"

the woman was traveling the length of the dirt road that ran parallel with the property. she was presently mounted upon the back of her mare, the pokemon's pace steady as they traveled as a pair. in comparison to her own land, this was comparatively more tame and orderly; nature trimmed down to accommodate livestock. 

cait was vaguely aware of the ranch's purpose, which was heavily varied. aside from producing pokemon-based products - such as wool and milk - it also aided in rehabilitating the injured. the effort likely put forth in day-to-day operations was admirable, at least from her perspective.

tucking her pokemon into such an environment was  a somewhat appealing idea but not an entirely cost-effective one, so she'd very quickly shelve it -

"
w-woah, girl! calm down."

her rapidash had startled, the unfamiliar scent and overwhelming presence of what appeared to be a boisterous arcanine coming into view.  cait quickly soothed the mare, assuring her that all was well while lifting her gaze to eye the dog. her grip upon the fairy's reigns remain tight, a hint of wariness entering her own gaze as she eyed the massive fire-type.

'dogs are a common sight in places like this one, i suppose.'  

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,482 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2020 14:55:26 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

With the past few weeks behind them, Duvet Ranch had once again assumed a state of normalcy. Instead of Pokemon rushing between tents to deliver medicine, or to treat injured Pokemon or people alike, the Pokemon on the Ranch were roaming around at their leisure. Overhead, one could see different dragons racing in the skies above the ranch. A Flygon was leading the pack, though in a burst of Extreme Speed, a Dragonite managed to overtake the lead.

A small group of Audino could be spotted playing with a Cufant, the giggles of the pink creatues showing that at least the Audino were having a good time. Though if one were to get a closer look, the Cufant was enjoying himself as well.

Most pertinently, an Arcanine would spot a woman and her Rapidash riding along a dirt road that ran parallel to the property. Excitedly, the Arcanine rushed over to the edge of the property to greet the duo. But rather than greeting them with any sort of hostility, or being territorial, the Arcanine would let out a friendly bark, attempting to greet the human, and the Rapidash. If Cait were to look into the eyes of the Arcanine, she would see that the dog was clearly friendly, and youthful in a way that befitted a Growlithe more than an Arcanine.

"Rufus, what's going on?", called out a voice that would be all too familiar to Cait.

Rufus would turn to greet his master, rushing up to meet him halfway, before offering to give him a ride over. With a chuckle, Thomas climbed onto the back of his Arcanine, who ran back over to the edge of the property.

"Cait? What brings you here?", Thomas inquired, surprised to see the former Gym Leader here, of all places.

tags:
notes: tl;dr

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2020 15:24:44 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
she was genuinely surprised to be confronted with the sight of thomas, a man who she was passingly familiar with. their encounters had been more so formal in recent memory - as well as brief. but despite their present status as acquaintances, his presence put her at ease. he had proven himself loyal to the council and hoenn multiple times over, his years of service confirming his dedication to serving their people.

"mister benoit," she greeted, warmly. "
you look well."

cait considered his attire, which befitted a working man. she then raised her gaze to take in her immediate surroundings, a realization dawning upon her. her eyes rounded slightly, the woman looking at him with a hint of awe.

"
don't tell me you work here?"

but she couldn't imagine a man of his experience and station simply functioning as a farmhand.

"
is this place yours, benoit?"

her face split into a delighted grin.

"
you own a ranch? an entire ranch? remarkable.

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,482 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2020 15:47:30 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Thomas eased up, and began to smile. It was good to see her outside of a more formal, or official setting. Despite having managed to meet her early on, back when he was an Agent of the International Police, the woman had left an impression on him. It was unfortunate that the two hadn't been able to spend time in a more relaxed setting after that meeting. But given everything that went on in Hoenn, such luxuries were few and far between.

"You as well.", he responded to her in kind. "And please, call me Thomas.", he'd tell her.

It was true, the way Thomas was dressed befitted the location. The clothing was worn and shabby, but extremely well suited for such labor. A thick button-up shirt, with the neckline of a white t-shirt visible under the open collar. Dirt-smattered blue jeans. And brown boots with dirt and mud caked on them. Before he could respond to her question, she would quickly correctly guess that he owned the place. "Guilty as charged.", he'd reply.

"After my resignation from the International Police, I moved out of Rustboro, and here to Verdanturf. The property itself required some renovation, but that wasn't too much of an issue. One advantage of the time I spent with the International Police was that they payed extremely well.", Thomas elaborated, with a chuckle.

And even if he didn't have the savings to purchase the Ranch itself, he could've gotten the help of his family to fund the place.

"So what's been going on since your retirement, if you don't mind me asking?", he'd inquire.

tags:

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2020 16:10:09 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
the woman appeared immensely satisfied by her guesswork, her pleasure reflected in her gaze as thomas confirmed that this property was indeed his. she'd take it in for the umpteenth time, once again relishing its beauty. there was a strange charm to farmland, especially when it was well-populated and well-maintained. her attention shifted skyward, the woman glimpsing the creatures which occupied the skies above. 

"it's been - "

she paused, her grip tightening upon the reigns. her rapidash's ears flicked, the pokemon's gaze shifting from the arcanine to her mistress. 

"
it's been fine," she responded, a bit stiffly. "i have my own property in fortree. plenty of land and more than enough pokemon to keep me busy nowadays."

cait decided to elaborate after a brief pause, breathing in deeply as her grip loosened. 

"
i'm almost finished with my associates degree - and i'll be working on my bachelors shortly thereafter. hopefully once i'm finished with school i can work on starting a family. but that's some years ahead, i think."

she quickly shifted the topic back onto him, her dimmed smile regaining some of its light.

"
i never imagined you'd own a ranch. but we never did talk properly - not at length, at least." 

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,482 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2020 19:22:09 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Thomas noticed the woman's hands tightening around the reigns of the Rapidash. But rather than point this out, the Kalosian would instead continue to go along with the conversation. "That's good to hear. I'm sure your Pokemon love having all that land to roam freely on.", he would tell her. Then again, it all depended on what sort of environment they were made for. But then, he was sure Cait took care of them all.

"An associates degree? What's your field?", he inquired. "And that's wonderful. If you don't mind me asking, have you found anyone to start that family with?", he'd inquire. As far as he knew, she either found someone she wanted to start a family with, or was going to be looking. Either way, he only wished her the best.

"It's funny, because I was never really raised around farmland. Up until moving here, I've spent most of my life in cities. My only regret is not doing this sooner, to tell you the truth.", he'd tell her, with a chuckle. Despite his upbringing, he took to this life rather quickly, and surprisingly well at that. Perhaps it was the change of scenery that helped, perhaps it was the fact that having a large property where his Pokemon could roam freely that made it all worth it.

"How have you been taking the transition from Mauville to Fortree?", he inquired.

tags:

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2020 20:48:20 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"like a goldeen to water."

she grinned, once again relishing the metaphorical weight that had been lifted from her shoulders once she had returned to fortree and its respective routes.

"
i was born and raised there," she elaborated. "mauville city just doesn't compare to it."

cait gave a little smirk at his inquiry, deciding to satiate his curiosity - her tone playful. 

"
it's a work in progress. i found someone - but only time will tell if he's the one."

she trusted to stick around. but after seeing how had lost her previous partners within the past two years, she remained cautious - optimistic - but cautiously so.

"
either way i've got plenty of time. after getting my degree and finishing up my bachelors in a few years, i'll be contemplating my future prospects. maybe i'll even go for a council seat when i hit my late thirties or forties. i admire their work and i love my region, so why not?"

cait raised her gaze, eyes once again alight with curiosity.

"
so you'll turn old and gray here," she remarked, attention shifting to a nearby field. "and i don't blame you for it."

she tilted her head, deciding to pry lightly in turn.

"
found someone to keep you company here?"  

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,482 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2021 0:33:12 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

"I see.", Thomas told her. "Is this lucky individual someone I would know?", he'd inquire, entertaining the conversation further. He was sure that Senon, the man he ran into in the Rusturf Tunnel a few months back, didn't tell Cait of their encounter. If she was aware of their meeting, it would take him by surprise. Sure, they ran into one another at the funeral, but again, circumstances kept the two men from interacting properly.

"Late thirties or forties? No room for pursuing it in your twenties?", he jested. To hear her talk about going for it so late, compared to the likes of the others, who seemed to just go for it, despite being in their twenties, was surprising. But then, if she were focusing on her education, and her future, he didn't blame her. "All joking aside, you'd make a great Councilwoman.", he'd tell her.

"If I live long enough to turn old and gray.", he remarked, a dry chuckle escaping him. When she brought up mates, he did frown a bit. "I did have someone, a lovely woman by the name of Jasmine. Of course, I screwed up through my constant risk taking, and she couldn't take it. She didn't want to watch me drive myself into an early grave.", he would tell her somberly.

Though that was now well into the past. Now, he had someone else who might be his. Someone he could spend his life with, if she didn't mind the Ranch life.

Thomas watched over as a Delibird flock flew into the field. The icy birds would begin to distribute Presents to all the Pokemon on the Ranch, including the Audino horde, who happily greeted them. The sight was enough to lift his spirits from what he described earlier.

tags:
notes: Present prompt

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2021 14:21:58 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"perhaps?"

she leveled the man with a considering look, pondering over the chances that he had crossed paths with her chosen beau.

"
his name is sénon. red-haired - tattoos - tall - clean-shaven."

aesthetically the man stood out due to his particular combination of features. cait wondered if this was because he was an islander, his people originating from cinnabar. 

"
i'd try for my twenties," she said. "but i'm not -"

politicians were often given full access when they reached a certain age - the public favoring individuals who exuded a more mature air. but

'huh.'

"
then again... councilman cole, councilman silph and councilman orion are in their twenties."

she shelved the thought, a curious gleam in her eye. cait hastily dropped the subject, her smile remaining an easy one. 

"
i'm sorry to hear about your jasmine. it's always unfortunate to lose a partner. especially when there's a spark."

there was a ridiculous amount of stress involved whenever a partner willingly placed themselves on the 'front line'. cait was absolutely certain she'd try to convince sénon to settle once they properly solidified as a pair; hoping the man took safer work close to her home. 

'i don't want him dying out there.'

she'd follow his gaze, noting the delibird's as they handed out packages filled with goodies. it appeared to be mostly edibles; rare and delightful consumables that the receivers happily munched on. 

"
you're a respectable figure, thomas. have you considered claiming a seat on the council?

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,482 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2021 15:27:00 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

"Sounds familiar. Think I encountered him in the Rusturf Tunnel sometime before the League Meeting.", he'd tell her.

As she mused on Kim and Fernando being in their twenties, Thomas couldn't help but ask himself how they did it. With Hoenn the way it was now, being in the center of all the insanity going on in the world, they were surely going to age themselves doing this. Sure, it was good that they were stepping up, even if he naturally questioned their motives for doing so, but doing it so young was going to fuck them up, surely.

"It is what it is. I just hope that she finds someone who can make her happy. Succeed where I failed her.", he'd tell her. In truth, he was addicted to the danger that he put himself into. Ever since he was a teenager, getting into brawls with street gangs brought him a thrill he couldn't match with any sort of safe activity. This would translate into going against the Harmonia Foundation in Unova, which lead him to joining the International Police, then transferring to Hoenn.

No matter how many times he wound up on death's doorstep, he always came back for more. He feared that he wouldn't allow himself to settle down in the end. It wasn't his own end that scared him, but it was what would happen to those he left behind. Would they be safe without him? Would his enemies come after them as well?

"To be honest, I can barely stand the business world. I don't think I'd really mesh well with politics at all.", he'd confide with her. While he stepped up to spearhead Benoit Armaments' philanthropic efforts in Hoenn, the activities that came with it, such as the events and dinners he'd have to attend, grated on him. In all honesty, he was much happier doing grunt work with the workers who were restoring the dilapidated buildings.

tags:

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2021 11:01:37 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
cait couldn't fault thomas for his lack of interest in politics. it was a messy business, especially when their region was temporarily locked into a tentative peace. their people required leadership of a superior quality as of present, the league struggling to ensure that 'all was well' and 'our enemy has been destroyed' in the public sphere. 

"it's a lot of work - and a lot of responsibility, i suppose."

there was a pause as she considered how she should go about explaining her reasonings. the woman was most certainly not expected to, as thomas hadn't probed her in a verbal sense. but cait's reasons were nothing but pure, the smile that tugged at her lips genuine as she volunteered the information.

"
but i want to help change hoenn for the best. i want a region our children can grow up safely in. without constantly living with the fear of war, in-fighting or any of that unpleasant business."

she admired the man for his willingness to play the part of the soldier, following his orders and leading their people on the frontlines. 

'it's a pity i'm not a fighter. even my lord in their present state desperately craves peace. no matter the cost.'

"
no matter the cost," she murmurs, her smile lessening slightly.