he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2020 1:37:56 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
It was just supposed to be a simple job: a woman was complaining about a flying-type Pokemon nesting in a tree near her house, and wanted it removed, peacefully or otherwise.

The client had left out what flying-type Pokemon it had been. When Hideo arrived at the scene and used his Pokedex to check what he was dealing with, it caught him off guard when he learned what was residing in that tree:

A Gyarados.

Took him a bit of time to process what it told him. Even had to scan it another time just to make sure. “You’ve gotta be kidding me,” he said to himself. He did prepare himself to deal with battling a flying-type, but one that he heard was as big as an Onyx? Let alone one as infamously powerful as a Gyarados?

It was a good thing he wasn’t taking this alone.

Thinking we should, uh, try to convince it to leave before we get into a fight?” he’d ask them, “Might get a little messy around here if we fight it.

Which would be an understatement; the Gyarados was as large as the tree it was nesting it. “Why’s it even nesting in a tree anyways? Aren’t they supposed to stay in water or something?

How’s it even nesting in there?

@open

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2020 8:05:46 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]yawning as loud as he could to relieve himself of a drowsy spell. a man donning a white lab coat had just arrived onto the scene. with a paper bag in hand, for he had just got done grocery shopping, and a unlit cigarette in his mouth. the individual would come to stop some distance away. he eyed the dual-type pokemon while pondering on the overheard rhetorical question.

"well, that's a weird question to ask."

with an eevee at his side. professor zen continued eying the gyarados. with his head risen, soft cerulean orbs slowly made their way toward the item in the boy's hand. "have you tried asking the pokedex in your hand?" zenji, with a sportive suggestion, said.

note: , i be doing the invading.

[newclass=.light]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.light b]color: #dea02c[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2020 22:58:04 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo shrugged. “Guess I can.” He usually didn’t listen to the blurbs from his Pokedex; most of them were useless to the situation at hand, and a lot of them sounded made-up.

Still, there was the chance it could tell him something. He pointed it back up to where he pointed it before, letting it fully read out the entry.

Gyarados, the water-type and flying-type Pokemon. Once Gyarados goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn't calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this Pokémon's rampages lasting a whole month.

Great,” he muttered, “So if we do try to force her out and fail, it’s gonna start destroying everything.” And they were right in the residential district; a rampage here would be disastrous. “Here, lemme see if I can talk her down. I got good luck with keeping angry Pokemon calm.

Carefully, he walked over to the tree, looking up to where he assumed the Pokemon was. “Hey! What’re you doing all the way up there? A tree isn’t a place for a big Pokeblargghgh-

Interrupted by a stream of water shot from the Gyarados’ mouth, enough force to push him back - and onto his back.

It took a couple seconds after the stream ended for Hideo to sit back up, spitting out his own little stream of water.  Apart from the inconvenience, he was unharmed; the attack was purely to push him away.

Well that was a bust,” he sputtered. “We can try to beat it if we want, but there’s still gotta be a reason it’s in a tree. Instead of the water where she should be.

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2020 23:22:09 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]"don't feel bad, i give you an 'a-' for bravery."

on the other hand his execution was flat failing grade. reaching into his pocket to pull out a lighter, zenji would pause. there was a child in front of him, should he really be smoking? he thought about it briefly.

"yeah." and thus went forward to light the cigarette in his mouth.

taking a moment to absorb the cancerous stick, his mind grew to be at ease more than before. he couldn't expect a child to have the answer to his problem so soon, but this was a chance to learn. zenji wasn't the best to babysit a child, so the league made a mistake by allowing such a unwanted partnership to happen.

"there's one hint, think you can find the other?" zenji would say toward the boy. "if some stranger tried coming near my mother's nest, she'd do the same." he'd casually nudge the eevee with his leg to remain at his side. "wanna know what that's called?" there was only one answer, "motherly instinct."

the question, now, was why did it choose to nest in such a public space? "you tried your best to look as harmless as possible, but if it was that relentless on a child then i don't wanna imagine what it would do to me." this gyarados had, somewhat, caught zenji's attention now. "if must be protecting something under her." the fact that it had yet to rampage or even move so much as a feet from that position left him with only one option.

this should be a quick clean up then, "hey kid," he called out to the boy, "you a trainer? you must be if you have that in your hand, you got an electric-type on you?"

note: , i be doing the invading.

[newclass=.light]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 17, 2020 16:56:49 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Thanks for the vote of confidence.” He was completely drenched in water, from his hair to his socks. At least it was warm today; he could wait until he got home to dry off and change.

Hideo could hear the distinct *clink* of a lighter being lit, and started to smell cigarette smoke. Seemed like his partner would be less than eager to approach as well; considering how well it went for him, that wasn’t surprising.

Though the way the man talked, it seemed like it was up to the boy to deal with this; with guidance, of course. “Wouldn’t really call her that relentless; if she’s as strong as the Pokedex says she is, she coulda done a whole lot more than just push me away.

He brushed off some of the water that covered his face. “I’m a trainer, yeah. And I got a couple electric-types.” He produced the two Pokeballs from his pocket, leaving his hand open for the man to see. “But, uh, they might be a little...underpowered for this situation. Here, I’ll let them out.

The two Pokemon were released, a Minun and a Blitzle. The two of them took one look at the nesting Gyarados, who returned with a Scary Face; the two small electric-types were taken aback, hiding behind their small trainer. “Yeah, ‘bout what I expected,” he said

I also got a Lycanroc with me, ‘cause he’d be pretty good against birds, but uh, he doesn’t handle water very well.” Or “nonviolent solutions” well. “I also got an Aron, an Aipom, and an Elgyem, but I dunno how good they’d be for this situation.

Honestly, the temptation to just call the authorities was there - they’d know how to deal with this better than him. But that would mean accepting that he couldn’t deal with this. Not an acceptable route to go for Hideo.

So how do you wanna play this? They might be able to distract her for a while, but I’m not sure if they have the power to take her down. We could try to draw her to a body of water...but I’m not sure where one is from here.

Not that far, actually. Not quite in seeing distance, but anyone familiar with the area would know about the river that ran nearby. In fact, they’d both passed by it on the way here, though Hideo didn’t know that; not like anyone went out of their way to point it out to him. Yet.

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 17, 2020 22:30:11 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]"mm..."

setting his groceries to the side. he'd call upon LUCARIO and PORYGON. the next task at hand was going to be fairly difficult, but zenji had faith in the kid. even though he was unaware of the youth's disability, zenji assumed he would be slow due to his age and physical proportion. "porygon and lucario are going to be the head of this operation, as for your job..."

he'd look to the youth's pokemon, "i'll need your assistance to minimize the damage that may happen next." he'd crouch down to the boy's level. the cigarette now within his right hand, "porygon is gonna initiate a bit of paralysis in order for us to get a head start. lucario is gonna aim for whatever the gyarados is protecting, which i'm 97.5% certain there's an egg in there." eyeing the large beast, he'd continue on with his explanation.

"can i trust your pokemon to help steer the gyarados during the chase, little runt?"

note: , btw he's not aware hideo is blind/i wasn't sure if you wanted me to just outright know.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 18, 2020 3:25:30 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Makes sense,” Hideo added, “What’s a nest without any eggs? She’s definitely gotta be guarding something up there...which means she’s gonna try real hard to keep it safe.

Just hope your Lucario is ready for her, ‘cause she’s gonna gun for whoever has her egg. Even with paralysis.” They were a notoriously-hardy Pokemon, but could they handle the attacks of something as strong as a Gyarados?

Well, this guy seemed pretty knowledgeable. He’d just have to trust him on it.

And as Hideo would learn, he wouldn’t just be sitting on the sidelines.

Steering the Gyarados. Hideo flashed a frown for a moment. That was going to be a little difficult for him alone - he didn’t even know where everything was. But he had the right mon for the job.

Alright,” he said, producing one more Pokeball, releasing the Elgyem within, letting him sit on his shoulder. “Elga here’ll help me keep track of everything, and can help me direct all my Pokemon once we start this. You got all he said, Elga?

A small set of flashes from the Elgyem’s hand - a telepathic message to Hideo, confirming it.

Then we’re all set!” A thumbs-up for the man to see. The two electric Pokemon behind him exchanged worried looks, but with a quick nod (and some more flashing lights from Elga), the two emerged from their hiding spot. “Ready when you are!

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 18, 2020 4:23:06 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]placing an earpiece into his left. if the child had been able to see, he would have noticed that there was an odd collar around the lucario. "i'm gonna borrow this," zenji would say upon taking the youth's pokedex. fumbling about with the device, he'd enter a unique code that would invoke a holographic display of lucario and the target of their goal.

"that would explain why the gyarados is here," he spoke his thought aloud before continuing, "i could only assume the item its guarding was probably stolen and accidentally dropped here. so this is probably how it ended up making this part of town a nesting ground." with everything set and connected, he would prepare to give the signal.

"porygon, thunder-wave!" as the the virtual pokemon released a stunning surprise. the gyarados became immobile for but only a brief moment. "now, lucario!" the aura pokemon moved swiftly and precisely, like a thief in the night he would snatch the precious egg it had been protecting with EXTREME SPEED.

the moment the paralysis wore off, hell broke loose. "alright kid, it's your time to shine. make sure your pokemon stay on the gyarados' tail, try to steer from crashing into anything." lucario would act as the head of the operation while and remained where they were. "they just need to keep behind, we can't exactly see how it'll go from here, but i trust in pokemon." he was sure they were capable of doing this.

as lucario led the gyarados TO THE SEA. up ahead there were a plethora of obstacles before them: civilians. lucario would bark an order to those following after the gyarados to put up some sort of barricade on the right and left side. would they be able to do that?

note: , ahhh action time. let's goooo.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2020 0:51:59 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo jumped a little when his Pokedex was taken out of his hand. At least the man had given some warning beforehand. He couldn’t tell what the man was doing with it, but he seemed to have a good idea of what he was doing, so Hideo didn’t protest.

Guess another Pokemon found the egg and took it,” he mused, “Brought it to the tree for whatever reason, and she followed it here. Then got too scared to leave her egg alone again...but it’s probably gonna be a fish Pokemon, so if we don’t get it to water before it hatches, she’s not gonna be happy.

Probably best not to think of what happened to that thieving Pokemon; it didn’t sound like anyone could see it around here.

His musing finished, it was time to get to business. Hideo and his team could only wait until their cue - and it was a very obvious one. “Alright, you heard him guys! Keep her following along, ok?

Though he couldn’t see it, the two electric-types nodded, the pair following closely behind her as she ran off.

When the Gyarados tried to go too far to the left, the Blitzle was there, Discharg(e)ing electricity from his body. The water-type was able to avoid being shocked, but there was no way around the attack, other than forward.

And when she would try to go too far right, the Minun was waiting for her, tossing an Electro Ball in her direction. It didn’t take much effort for the Gyarados to avoid them, and even if she hadn’t, they wouldn’t cause much damage; it merely kept her focus on the target in front of her, the one who truly had her egg.

The one guiding her to the water.

Both their attacks would be enough to scare off any people that were nearby. There would be some damage to the nearby buildings just from the Gyarados’s body, but it was far less than if she’d gone loose. And helping to keep the two coordinated was Elga, his Telepathy able to reach out into their minds from his comfortable child-shaped seat to constantly monitor and direct them; the only sign he was doing anything being the flashing lights on his hands.

Combined with the Lucario’s orders, their plan would go off without a hitch: all that was left was for the Lucario to get her into the water.

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2020 5:26:14 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]"nice one kid," he'd heavily pat the boy atop of his head, "your pokemon got talent!" as lucario led the charge and neared the beach shore. all that was left was to simply chuck the egg as far as he could, and safely from anything that could crack it upon impact. so with all of lucario's might the aura pokemon would send it hurdling into the ocean. with mighty speed, the gyarados practically flew past lucario.

"and that's that."

closing the pokedex and handing it back to the kid. he'd wait for him to take the pokedex while communicating with lucario, "from the crying pelipper's, we can assume you made it. tell everyone to head back, lucario." returning porygon to its respective ball, zenji would look back to the boy. "you got a good eye for pokemon, the way they were so gung-ho to operate without you." most children would have ran off with their pokemon.

"you didn't wanna go see the gyarados off?"

note: , nice!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2020 16:43:03 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
“They are pretty good, aren’t they?” he responded, blushing a little following the headpat. He always did have a knack for getting his Pokemon to listen to him, even without orders (most of them, anyways). “I make sure to train them so they know how to act without my orders. It’s not always easy for me to know what’s going on, and they usually know more than I do, so I gotta trust them.

How would he be aware his Elgyem was the one that really directed them? When the only signs were visual, it just wasn’t possible.

It took him a moment to take his Pokedex back; he only knew it was being returned when Elga notified him, and it would take a moment for him to find where it was being held. It’d look a little like he was flailing around until he got it.

It was enough to get Hideo thinking: this guy probably didn’t know. Not with that wording. Not like he could assume everyone would catch on immediately, especially when he wasn’t doing that much to show it.

Seeing her off would be a little...hard for me. Not just ‘cause it’d be risky to follow an angry Gyarados around.

Not really much reason to dance around it any longer. “I’m blind. I can’t see anything. Elga here’s the closest I can get to seeing, and even then, he’s just helping me know where stuff is around me, or giving me an idea how people and Pokemon are doing.  Helps with reading too!

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2020 20:34:57 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]he'd begin to wave his hand before the boy's face.

"no way, you're actually blind." how did he not notice that? "say, kid..." he'd crouch to his level, "tell me...are you trying to become a trainer?" he wanted to know why he had so many pokemon. the hell was the league thinking allowing some blind brat to take on tasks too big for their britches?

note: , gasp!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2020 21:54:53 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo only smiled as he awaited a response from the man, who was conspicuously silent for a moment. The boy didn’t have any reaction to the man waving in front of his face, other than wondering if he should say something.

But his suspicions were confirmed: this man hadn’t known he was blind. In fact, he seemed quite perturbed by it.

The boy frowned.  “I’m not trying to become a trainer; I am a trainer!” It took him a moment to fish the license out of his pocket, and he was more than eager to show it off to the man. “See? Got my license and everything.

As he was showing it off, his Blitzle and Minun found their way back to the group (once again guided by Elga). They both looked pleased with their success, wide grins on their faces, taking their spots by their trainer once more, tapping him on the (soaked) leg to let him know.

These two right here? Caught them myself! And I’ve caught a lot of other Pokemon too!

No, he hadn't been asked to prove he knew how to be a trainer, but he'd jumped to the conclusion that that question would come up next.

close tab

played by

light

professor zen
he/him
june 20th
hoenn region
demisexual
researcher
sergeant
85 height
85 height
seek out the truth.
awards
193 posts
zenji jabami DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zenji
zenji jabami
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2020 1:08:24 GMT
zenji jabami Avatar
[attr="class","light"]zenji only stared at the child for a moment. silent for sometime, he wasn't sure what he wanted to say exactly. but he knew the boy earned much respect. he fought against what fate dealt him. zenji would merely smirk.

"alright, tell me this, what do you wanna be when you grow up?" he wondered what sort of path he had set before him. his next answer would depend on zenji's next response.

note: , this is getting interesting! hope you don't mind the short post now!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
That's a Big Bird [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2020 17:53:47 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
He...didn’t expect that question. Hideo thought the man was going to grill him some more about his credentials, and he was more than ready to prove himself. He was even getting a speech ready.

Truth be told, he didn’t think about what he was going to do later in his life. He did have that offer from Mr. Ki regarding becoming a Ranger, but that was something he wanted to save after he was done.

It took him a moment to give a response. And it was not an assured one.

Guess I’ll...become Champion? Or something like that. I’ve just wanted to become a trainer and go around collecting badges and stuff. Just about every kid wants to do it, so why can’t I?” Which he was still struggling to even start doing; he had the qualifications, but was still stuck in Slateport. “I just...gotta prove to my parents that I can be responsible enough to go out on my own. Doing stuff like helping get flying-types out of people’s trees is just a way to get to that.

Was it working? He still wasn’t sure; his parents would always give him the same non-committal answers when he asked.