2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
i'll make a sailor out of you [mm]
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2020 14:06:09 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

There were some things, Skyler thought, that simply could not be explained.

Like how whenever she took a walk in the woods she always got turned around. Like how she'd somehow managed to walk all the way to the sea from Fortree when she thought she'd been heading back to the festival. Like how, in a stroke of coincidence that bordered on ridiculous, she'd stumbled upon her second date for the evening on the way.

"... Doug, was it?"

The sailor grinned down at the young man - teenager, really - silver eyes bright with moonlight and mischief. "Guess you're stuck with me one way or the other." Clad in a dark blue dress, a leather jacket and a captain hat that was slightly askew atop blonde curls, the woman struck quite a figure. Her hand was wrapped around a champagne bottle, which she shook at her companion in invitation.

"Want some?" Her brows suddenly furrowed, a thought coming to her. "Wait, are you even old enough for this?"

It wasn't long before the trees gave way to sand and pebbles, Skyler squinting her eyes at the waves that hungrily lapped at the shoreline. Then her gaze snagged on what appeared the be the remains of a bonfire or-

Wait.

Was that a raft?

"Doug."
There was a gleam in her eyes that spelled trouble, her tipsy thoughts coming up with a, in her mind, brilliant idea. "Would you like to become a sailor?"

● tag:
● notes: here we go!

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2020 3:41:48 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Sure am." He said in response to all three of her questions as he snatched the bottle, never having drunk even a single cup of alcohol in his life as he tipped back his head and took a good swig.

He liked to live in the moment.

"Hooey!" He gasped out as he felt the whole drink go down and then his body temperature summarily go up, feeling something try to climb up his throat- which he quickly stomped back down with a good swallow of air.

"That tastes awful!" He said, finally managing to get his words out with a laugh, his snickers carrying over the night as he looked at the woman. "I ain't stuck here with you lady, you are stuck'ere with me! Bet ya weren't hoping for some kid in really good suit when ya signed up fo' this."

He grinned.

"But I was hoping for hot and or fun people, and I'm two for two so far! Arceus must love me!"

He was bold as brass and not afraid to speak his mind- or maybe he had gotten tipsy with that single swig of the bottle he had taken. Either was possible.

When they found the raft, his almost sound mind had said to leave well alone.

But then that sound mind was slapped into the abyss by Skyler's sheer brilliance.

"... I've been waiting to hear that my whole life, I realized just now." He said in the most stone cold serious tone imaginable, nodding. "Take me away, Captn'!."

He leapt into the raft, grinning wide. ADVENTURE TIME!

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
how bold I was, could be - will be - still am
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2020 11:52:02 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The bottle was suddenly snatched out of her hands, Skyler's mouth barely parted in silent protest before Doug just up and took a swing of the champagne like it was - like it was cheap beer.

Skyler's eyebrows raised up in something akin to disbelief even as the beginnings of a roguish smirk twitched over her lips. She immediately decided that she liked this guy's spunk.

"The suit threw me off a little, I gotta admit. Not everyday you stumble upon a suited kid walking around in the woods. Even if he is your date." Her arm went over his shoulders, deliberately emphasizing their height difference, apparently every bit as bold and unabashed as her companion.

Her head was thrown back in laughter at his words. "Hot and or fun people? You're a charmer, aren't you Doug?" 

The raft itself wasn't terribly heavy; a pokémon could've easily carried it the short distance along the beach to the raging waves. 

Skyler didn't bother with any of that.

The leather jacket was unceremoniously thrown to the side as she took a long swing of the champagne. "A guy after my own heart," her wild grin was only intensified by the eager light in silver eyes as she started dragging the whole ramshackle construction herself. "Come on, First Mate Doug! The waves are a-waiting!"

The captain ignored the way the raft creaked ominously when it settled over the darkened surf. She also ignored the moonlit waves cresting perhaps a bit higher than would normally be safe - or the way the tides seemed to pull at her feet. Instead, she threw an oar at Doug with a grin. "Let's see whatcha made of, ya scallywag!" 

● tag:
● notes: ...

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2020 1:37:47 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Ay Ay, Capt'n!" Said the youth as he threw himself against their 'ship', helping push it into the water, utterly oblivious to the unpromising creaks the wooden thing made under the stress of their pushing.

"Moons a lovely shape tonight, Capt'n!" He said when they finally managed to push the entire thing into the sea, catching the oar thrown his way as he propped his foot atop the raft, gazing up to the sky. "Perfect for adventure!"

Full moon. The waves would be amazing this late into the night.

His Oar was soon submerged into the sky, an awed yelp escaping his lips as a particularly unruly wave tilted the entire thing, stumbling about as he spoke.

"What're yer orders, Capt'n?" He said, swallowing down any misgivings about the entire situation even as had to kneel to prevent himself from falling off the damned thing. "Lord Kyogre's feeling testy tonight!"

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2020 19:30:33 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"Lord Kyogre can go suck it." It followed that a sailor, especially a superstitious one like Skyler, would be the first to respect and maintain a neutral, if somewhat distant view on legendaries, especially those pertaining to the ocean.

Strangely enough, it sounded as if Skyler would rather give such legends the middle finger - which she did, quite literally, as she brandished the aforementioned finger at the increasingly rough waves splashing over their tiny raft. "I'mma show him who's boss! No, we are showing him who's boss. You with me, Doug?"

His answer didn't really matter anyway, it was too late to turn back now.

The broad grin Skyler sent Doug's way was nothing short of feral, her chin tilting up in challenge. Her voice rang out, crisp and commanding. "First Mate Doug, to starboard! I wanna see those arms moving!"

When a particularly big wave crashed over their little raft, Skyler barely batted an eye, fingers grasping onto the wooden construction so she wouldn't be swept away. Her dress was completely drenched.  "Perfect night for sailing, ey?" It didn't seem as if she was being sarcastic.

The ocean didn't seem to agree with her, though, especially when a wall of water rose up in the distance, growing ominously bigger as it approached them. The ramshackle raft creaked under them, the strength of the tide having already broken a few of its wood logs.

Silver eyes widened at the sight.

"Hold on to ya knickers!"

● tag:

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2020 21:45:52 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Guess he's sucking it, then!" He said as he broke into a laugh, moving to obey her command. "Aye aye, Capt'n! Lord Kyogre's gonna do some learnin' tonight!"

So what the heck was starboard anyway? She was paddling on one side, so he assumed she meant other was meant for him.

His oar struggled against tormentous waves, paddling proving to be more work than he had assumed it would be; yet another reason to thank Noah for his fitness teachings. A few months back and he was pretty sure he would have been swallowed, chewed and spat out by the seas by now.

"Just how I like 'em, Capt'n!" He was being quite a bit more sardonic than his date, but he was at least being honest.

He was having a lot of fun. He feared very little from the sea when an experienced Sea Captain and his own pokemon were by his side.

He was foolish like that.

But even as foolish as he was, he felt a wave of abject terror rise to his chest as a massive wall of water rose high above them, a gargantuan wave that didn't belong anywhere near a bloody beach.

So maybe he shouldn't have been surprised when he peered over his shoulder and realized just how far away the coast was.

"Water or not, I think mine're gonna be wet after this." He said rather blandly as he turned his attention back to the wave, their raft slowly being swept up its curve-

Right before it came crashing down upon them.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2020 18:09:49 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Captain Dross wasn't, in fact, holding on to her knickers when the massive wave came crashing down on them.

What she was doing was taking off her captain's hat in a hurry, biting down on it with tensed jaws so that it wouldn't be lost to the depths of the ocean (she'd just gotten it as a present from a very polite Delibird - there was no way she was letting it go without a fight).

Doug's words barely registered in her mind. Skewed priorities aside, Skyler was too busy looking upon their doom to give her partner-in-sailing much thought. Only when the raft under them started tilting due to the curve of the wave did the woman act.

Grabbing hold of Doug's arm, teeth still clenched tight around her captain's hat, she jumped right into the frigid waters, her body quickly dragged by the pull of the wave as it crashed down back onto the ocean with a colossal splash.

For a moment chaos reigned.

Skyler wasn't sure which way was up, which way was down - she simply let the waters carry her like a rag doll in their clutches. Then her hand went into one of her pockets and a bright flash illuminated the waters for a second, dimming to reveal a leviathan-sized shadow. 

Her lungs were screaming for air. Thankfully, Nautilus soon realized his trainer's plight and truck-sized jaws opened to swiftly close around the captain, seeming swallowing her whole. 

Not long after, the jaws opened again and another shape fell through. Skyler peeked over the Wailord's spongy tongue at the familiar boy, drenched to the bone.

The corners of her mouth quirked up in a lopsided grin. There was something wild and ecstatic in the gleam of her eyes when she faced the boy. "Welcome to the S.S. Nautilus, scallywag!"

● tag:

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2021 1:28:40 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

When the water came crashing down upon them, Doug had little option in mind but to cling to the Captain, the contents of his stomach feeling pretty loose as they were taken for a wild, disorienting ride under the surface.

The air in his lungs was practically beaten out of them, and no amount of kicking seemed to help pull their heads out of the water. He had deep dived within the sea several times now, and had believed he had gotten the fear he used to feel in control.

But of course, that was an illusion. With no equipment or even pokemon to help him, the flash of terror came back with a sharp pang as his gaze settled upon the dark ocean and his lungs burned for water.

He was going to die, at this rate. They both were.

At least, they were, until a flash of red light suddenly displaced a massive amount of water as a gargantuan shadow popped into place.

Horror of a different variety filled him as his eyes popped open wide as saucers, a massive maw opening wide to swallow him whole.

And then he was dead.

Cough cough cough!

Or not.

"W- what... what?" He said, asking while laying on his side, coughing out lungfuls of salt water, blinking slowly as he took in his surroundings, the captain's words barely registering.

S. S... Nautilus?

"Did... did we get swallowed by a Wailord?" He said as he turned his tired gaze to her. Not just any Wailord, he realized. Her Wailord.

Well, better than dying.

"Thank the many lords." The youth groaned as he let himself drop onto the tongue, arms and legs spread wide. "I thought I'd finally bit it."

Too bad he was probably not going to learn anything from this experience other than to never go raft-riding without professionals.

"Hooh... Where to now, Capt'n?" He said, asking from the floor, looking the soaked woman up and down. "Lookin' good, by the way."

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2021 19:26:04 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The grin on her face only widened at Doug's increasingly confused questions. To be honest, this wasn't the best method of transportation and it stunk to high heaven - but at least it'd taken them out of the frigid waters.

Realization finally flooded his eyes, the teen letting himself fall onto the Wailord's tongue in apparent relief. Skyler approached, peering down at him. "Nah, I wouldn't have let you die." For a second her voice grew deadly serious, exuding much more of a captain's commanding presence, before it turned playful again, grin returning. "Plus, what's a good adventure without a lil danger?"

Her eyebrows raised at being checked out, Doug's next words surprising a laugh of out her. Skyler propped her (thankfully surviving) captain's hat on her head and leaned against Nautilus' tongue. "Weird thing to say to a lady in the belly of a Wailord, but I'll take it." 

A sudden lurch had the captain's attention shifting to the Wailord's mouth, patting the creature's tongue when it opened its maw to reveal a long stretch of sandy beach. 

Captain Dross strutted out of the Wailord's mouth like she did it every other day, waiting for the teen to follow before giving the colossal whale-like pokémon a small pat and calling it back to its pokéball.

Her arm went around Doug's shoulder, moonlight highlighting the mischievous sparkle in her silver eyes - right before she gave his cheek a friendly, teasing kiss. "I think our surviving calls for a celebration!" The declaration was followed by a small search, Skyler calling out a victorious 'aha!' as she waved the forgotten bottle of champagne at Doug. 

If she was going to be a bad influence, at least she'd be the best bad influence.

"Bottom's up, scallywag!" She took a large swing of the bottle and gave it to Doug, his new nickname apparently having stuck. 

With any luck, they'd manage to find their way back to the festival...

● tag:

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2021 19:44:30 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

He was safe and sound inside a giant whale, so he could believe that.

"Nothin' but a sunday stroll, I say." He said with a chuckle, holding a fist to the air, before letting it drop to the side with a chuckle at her next words, grinning at her before winking.

"What can I say? The dress looks mighty fine from this angle." He said before breaking into cackles, rolling away and back to his feet just in case any swift retaliation came, before immediately tumbling down face first upon the tongue when the Wailord came to a rocking stop upon the beach's sand.

"Instant karma, huh?" He said with a groan as he pried his face off the spongy surface, dragging his sleeve over it as he stumbled out of the giant pokemon, cold wind instantly buffeting him as they went from the warm insides of the wailord to the wintery night sky.

An arm was suddenly slung over his shoulders as he stumbled again, a pair of soft lips pressed to his cheek. Not quite the punishment he had expected.

He grinned wide, cheeks coloring. When the bottle was offered to him, he took it gladly, accepting her bad influence with delight.

"Ay Ay, Capt'n!"

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?