part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2021 3:50:49 GMT
Katherine Fairburne Avatar

[attr="class","katherine"]
[attr="class","katherinepokes"]

"And yet, something tells me that you never did this for their applause, Silph."

She responds in kind, using his last name rather than one of his many titles or the first name that still felt foreign on her tongue. "I know what they are. You don't need to tell me that. I've seen how they tried to spin what Bailey did to some mistake or careless judgment." And as much as she loved to observe that trainwreck of a press conference, she also knew that Bailey was instrumental to the operation in Mauville.

Without her, more would be dead.

Without her, who knows what her city would've ended up looking like?

She exits the car wordlessly, restraining herself from asking about his business and the legendaries he was in pursuit of. That can wait. She hated that this is how she felt, but something told her that this was for the better.

"... That's only one, Fernando. You and I both know that it's far from enough to keep these idiots out of trouble. Sooner or later, they will awaken something that they can't handle," she speaks like she knows that it's coming, like this wouldn't be something that they could hide from. His cheeky comment is left ignored in the wake of something more important: having him by her side.

"I'd be lying to you if I said I am only doing this because I care about the region or our people, Fernando."

And he's been lied to enough times.

"It's my life at stakes too. You know what I did. Maybe you weren't sure until now, but I know that you know. I showed it to the rest of them and if I didn't have a giant fucking target pointing at me until now, well..." Things changed rapidly around Hoenn, especially in these trying times.

"Don't shut me out because it's easy. You've pulled tricks on me before, but I am still here. I still trust you." Despite the web of lies she'd weaved, these words remained honest. "You don't want to face any of this by yourself. You won't."

notes:

[attr="class","katherinetag"]

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #D5B259; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2021 4:12:21 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Astute observation. However, they knew better than to get in my way.” That’s the whole crux of Fernando’s need for appreciation. What these simpletons think doesn’t matter. It’s how they react and how that plays into his own plans that decide how much he’s willing to impart. Now that they’ve reared their ugly head, there’s no point in feeding the same mouth that bites him.

Intentionally, anyway.” He corrects. It’s an important clarification considering how many times they’ve gotten in his way intentional or not.

However, everything else she brings up makes sense. Her points are valid enough that it’s hard to make a case to argue against her. Unfortunately, today has exhausted what patience he has. The mere mention of ‘trust’ kills whatever momentum her proposal has.

I trust your skills Katherine but I don’t trust you.

The implication lingers.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
good girls go to heaven, bad girls rule the world
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2021 4:45:54 GMT

"I can work with that."

She smiles in victory. This is victory, she tells herself. It's an opening and if there's anything that she'd learned by working alongside the Silph, is that one opening is all one needs. "You want to put me on a tighter leash? Go ahead. You want to bark orders? Fine. I can work with that. I won't like it, but I'll figure it out." Self-preservation came second to none— well, none except... Maybe sating Giratina's need for a particular artifact.

But other than that? It was second to none.

"You've managed worse deals than this, I am sure. We can work something out. And I know that you'll only accept a deal that you'll benefit from as well."

And by benefit from, she means... Benefit more. After all, he was a businessman.

notes:

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #D5B259; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2021 3:22:57 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“I can’t.

Maybe he implied too much. Or, perhaps, she misunderstood him. Either way, their mixed messages end up with both parties ending on different affronts.

I want to know what you’re hiding from me.

Whatever answer she provides, in this current climate, will be divisive, empty or not.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2021 19:45:32 GMT

“Why?”

He is fully convinced that she’s hiding something, and of course, she is, but why is it still troubling him? Katherine believed that she’d shown her loyalty to the League - and Fernando in particular - enough times by now.

“Why does it matter so much?”

She heaves a sigh, unable to stop herself from feeling like they’ve reached a dead-end. He’s stubborn, she’s stubborn…

“You’re privy to your secrets just as much as I am privy to my own, Fernando.”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2021 20:50:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Because you’re a liability.

Wherein she believes her service adequate, Fernando, in fact, does not. His standards are not so lax as to settles among those around him. League or not, there are only two people he trusts to a certain degree: the President of Silph Co., , and (although her recent acclimation with instills doubt).

You’re not very popular among certain people, Fairburne. You’re abrasive and that alone will cast suspicion on you because you won’t play along happily.” Press Conference be damned, the Church incident comes to mind as the forefront of things to come. “But I’m okay with that. I don’t care about them and what they think. I can work around that.

But I care about Tapu Fini’s judgement. Whatever it is you’re hiding from me, it’s important that you do so. That’s the crux of its powers. The closer you hold it to your heart the weaker the gate to the afterlife becomes— until proven otherwise, anyway.

Fernando adds in that little snippet because nothing is absolute. It gives him a ticket out, as ass-pully as it is, but one he will fight against due to his supposed ‘sample size’.

I need to know so I can prepare and work around it if needed. I need to have protections, for me and you.

His glare is unfaltering, looking for her own.

I need to be able to trust you.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2021 1:03:26 GMT

Fernando is able to find Katherine’s gaze easily, for she hadn’t allowed her eyes to drift away from him, not yet.

He manages to make this situation sound a lot more simple than it is. She hates that. She hates all of it. She even hates being a part of Rocket, now, mostly because lying to him was - and still is - her only option. No matter the fact that the confession dances on the tip of her tongues and threatens to spill through whatever dam she had built to defend herself from making such mistakes.

She wrestles with the thought for a few more silent moments, allowing his judgment to mallow in the deafening silence.

Until, eventually, she breaks it.

“I believe you. I believe you need to know, but I also know that you don’t want to, Fernando. You don’t trust me, fine, but you can have Tapu Fini tell you that this isn’t a lie: you won’t like it.”

And after a life of living by herself and depending solely on herself… Katherine is simply unwilling to place all her eggs in one basket, even if it belonged to no other than .

“I can’t.”

“I won’t.”

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2021 4:22:49 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Tch.

It is Fernando who breaks away first in symbolic defeat. He sits on her answer, considers it, before breaking out in an exasperated half-laugh. “What else is new, Fairburne? I don’t like most of the things I have to clean up after.

In an unsteady bob, his head turns back to her, this time his eyes break out in falsetto, spent.

Then what would you have me do?

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2021 22:47:05 GMT

Fernando should know that Katherine wouldn’t want him to do that. Hell, she wouldn’t even ask him to. She’s too stubborn to ask for someone’s help, especially if it’s to deal with a personal mess.

“You know I wouldn’t ask you to clean up after me.”

He has to know that.

“Well… What I want you to do is trust me, but you can’t. And I can’t trust you either, Fernando, can I?” It doesn’t feel like she can. And much like him, simple words won’t convince her.

“I’ll tell you.”

A change of heart? Not quite.

“I’ll tell you if you can tell me something just as damning. If something like that even exists, that is.” In other words: mutually assured destruction. She’ll tell him of her crimes and sins at the cost of revealing his.

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2021 20:45:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“It’s not about what you want. Nor is it about what I want. It’s about what needs to be done.

That’s how it goes. Always and forever. Everyone asks why Fernando does so much, wears himself so thin. The answer is simple: because if not him then who else?

…?

Fernando quirks an eyebrow at her accusation but doesn’t press it any further. On what ground? He’s uncertain. But everyone has their own perspective. He doesn’t dare try the impossible and stare back from the sole of her shoes.

Damn. Frustrating. Fernando bites his lip in protest before tilting his neck in both directions, an audible crack rolling through his shoulders. “I don’t have anything damning because I don’t make stupid mistakes.

Nevertheless, he rolls up his sleeve, revealing a thin layer of gauze spanning from the midpoint of his forearm just short of his elbow. What that means doesn’t necessarily translate without context but the way it he manages to make the wound pulse underneath seems unnatural at best.

Team Rocket transitioned to Hoenn at the same time as I did. I didn’t do much back then until they extended their hand too deep. Once they decided to invade Slateport, killing needlessly, disrupting the flow of society, I pushed for Council and anything else I had to in order to return the status quo.

He winces as the muscles underneath spasm from his forced exertions. With a click of his tongue, Fernando pulls the sleeve back down. “They got in my way so I put an end to them. Simple. And in that process I did whatever it took.” The implication is simple—whatever price Fernando paid is related to the injury he’s shown her.

Your turn. Then I’ll tell you what I did.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2021 9:54:45 GMT

It’s not enough.

Katherine wants it to be, so it’s simpler for her and allows her to be sincere with Fernando - not just partly, but fully - but it’s not enough. A man like him may hold a skeleton or two in his cupboard, but she was a fool to think that they’d be equal. And on the off chance that they were? She was naive to believe he’d simply entrust her with a secret of that magnitude.

Optimism simply didn’t suit her.

But trust is a two-way straight, and if she was to incriminate herself: then there was no other way. She had to give in, let go, and even go against herself.

… She had to trust him.

“Rocket. I see.”

Sadly, she doesn’t have a scar to show him in turn. She can only offer her words now, words that come only after she turns to look away from Fernando. She couldn’t bear watching his expression now, especially due to the approaching judgment. Giratina, despite not offering any vocal approval or disapproval, assures her of one thing: it’d be there after everything.

Not for her— but it’d be there.

Even now, Katherine has her hand on the trigger. If they have to leave, disappear or even vanish into the distortion world - she accepts it.

“I was sixteen when I ran away from home,” when she packed a bag and stole a bunch of her mom's jewelry to cover a few months’ rent. ”Rocket wasn’t as prevalent in Hoenn back then. Not yet, at least, but there were… Agents. The type you keep in a region you’re going to invade one day.”

Recruiters. Spies. People who laid the groundwork for the eventual invasion in Slateport and everything that came along with it.

Criminals.

“I had nothing.”

“I had no one.”

“... I needed something.”

And now, it feels like she has everything she could ever want— and the thought of losing it is frightening.

“Rocket fixed all of it. They gave me a home, a job, a purpose…” But it changed. She grew up and matured, and if the organization she was once proud of calling a home taught her anything was that caring for yourself first comes before everything else.

It always will.

Katherine turns, slowly, with her eyes remaining closed until she musters enough courage to peel them open. “... Do you still need Tapu Fini to tell you I am saying the truth? Or do you believe me?” And most importantly, how mad is he?

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2021 6:54:30 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]How mad? Not nearly enough considering the gravity of her confession.

Whatever emotional turmoil Fernando’s supposed to embrace has long simmered. His prior outburst proved cathartic enough to purge further reaction. What remains is a calm ease into listening that predicts the ending well before she reaches it.

All it takes is the mention of Rocket. The rest is history. Her history.

But is that it? Given the context of his earlier statements, the fact he has no qualms with working with ex-Rockets, her revelation seems almost anti-climatic.

I do.” Fernando clicks his tongue, eyes narrowing in.

There has to be more. Right?

So, you’re Team Rocket, and…

His expectation bleeds out as the sentence ends unfinished.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2021 7:19:46 GMT

He’s a lot calmer than Katherine expected him to be.

A part of her was hoping that he’d lash out at her because it’ll make leaving all the more easier - but the opposite occurs. And with that, she has to embrace whatever… This was. The outcome, the remaining debris that comes with the collapse of her carefully-built persona.

”... And?”

What else did he want?

”Do you really want me to confess to you about each and every crime I was involved with?” The idea, despite being proposed by her, is aggravating to hear. She doesn’t need any reminders. Deep down... A part of her, as small as it may have been, did feel remorse. There were rare nights where she still suffered from pangs of conscience.

”You know about most of those times, Fernando, if not all. The tree. People who went missing conveniently at the worst times.”

And unlike previous Rockets he may have worked with, Katherine doesn’t intend to make it easier for him by swearing up and down that she was coerced into committing crimes or simply wasn’t involved with the big things.

She did it out of her own volition. She acted against the League not just through petty thievery.

“I can be specific if that’s what you need, but you have your own story to finish.” Her eyes avert to where his injury laid, waiting in anticipation to hear more.

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,770 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
ABETTED
POSTED ON Mar 31, 2021 3:08:55 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Not in particular. I was just expecting—” What exactly? Even he’s unsure. Just something more than the obvious. Something more groundbreaking than the baseless rumors that will undoubtedly surface around her in the same manner they had him. “—more.

As for the crimes committed? It comes with the territory. He can overlook them for now if only because they’re irrelevant at this point. Past deeds will be reflected upon in full, but that doesn’t prevent or negate them. All it gives him is an ouch more of understanding and leverage. Usable but not potent enough to detract from their current course.

Tch.

Littleroot is a sore spot that bruises far too easily. It makes sense given Blacephalon’s appearance but that means everyone else’s conjectures are also true. Without her confession, it’s little more than an unfounded assumption based off their own distaste for her. But none of that matters because it’s true.

Speaking of true.

Underwhelming, I suppose, but mine is as well.

His briefcase rustles as he starts to make his way toward the terminal entrance.

"The League—and by that I mean I—apprehended Jirachi during the Navel Tower skirmish two years ago. It remains dormant within League custody but its Wish Tag was never recovered. A high ranking Team Rocket member managed to slip away with it.

Fernando can barely remember what looks like. Should they ever cross paths, he’ll still be able to identify him. Not because of any noticeable features, such as his jawline or any blemishes, but because the Underboss has a certain look. It wears deep into his soul, not unlike Fernando’s signature resting bitchface.

That was the bargain. I give them an out, help orchestrate their turn against Silas, and I get the tag. Unfortunately, I ended up using it in order to defeat him. It’s been some time since then and the tag remains active. It’s either still working toward granting my wish or waiting for a trigger to fulfill it. At least, that’s my understanding of it.

For now, he omits the detail that the Wish Tag always resolves in corrupted wishes. With time, she’ll come to learn more. Truth may be a two-way street but such endeavors take time. Here, they merely pave the groundwork.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
ABETTED
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 10:12:03 GMT

She’d heard only little of the operation Fernando describes at length. And although Katherine’s knowledge about Jirachi was limited… The name of the artifact - the Wish Tag - reveals enough as is. He had something of the worth in the palm of his hands and he used it…

To defeat a man?

Fernando Silph, the man she knew, would need no divine intervention to bring ruin upon someone. Even the former Rocket Boss that she’d worked under for several years in the past. Even Silas.

“I suppose one day you’ll know, then.”

Should the tag feel like telling him, that is. She couldn’t begin to comprehend why Jirachi would have waited this long to act. In reality, maybe… Ah. She shouldn’t concern herself with such loud thoughts. Much like the councilman, she will know when she needs to, and if ever needs to.

“... What now?”

He doesn’t trust her— he shouldn’t, and as far as Katherine is concerned, he won’t.

“It wasn't enough, was it? Are you going to hold this against me forever?”

notes: