TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
what are we celebrating? [c]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2021 0:07:06 GMT
Katherine Fairburne Avatar

[attr="class","katherine"]
[attr="class","katherinepokes"]

‘congrats on the promotion mr.bigshot, r u busy?’

Gavin texted back shortly after Katherine lifted her eyes from the screen of her phone, causing her to focus on the device once more. Mount Pyre? Although she had no idea what business the Underboss had there, she was still prepared to take a day off and meet him there if that’s all he could manage.

After all, this was the sort of conversation you have in person, rather than on the phone or through a screen.

Half an hour passes before Katherine finally arrives, doing so without a sound or the ordinary bright flash of light that a TELEPORT entailed.

‘i’m here, wya?’

Looking around, the Fairburne searched for the man with her gaze, looking past a couple of tombstones that seemed familiar. Frankly, she knew this area too well.

notes:

[attr="class","katherinetag"]

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #D5B259; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,836 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2021 5:22:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Mt. Pyre isn't one of Gavin's usual haunts; the many Pokemon he'd lost to the Light Devourer had no graves to visit, and the Sandslash lost to experimentation are buried in unmarked plots. He'll visit them rarely, when he's feeling particularly somber, but they are not the reason he's here tonight.

Rocket's underboss kneels in the dirt, cultivating tilled earth and carefully plucking weeds from the site of planting.

His phone vibrates silently against his thigh, and Gavin fishes it from his pocket and gets to his feet. Dark fog swirls around him in a comforting embrace, for he has eyes in the sky to warn him of approaching intrusion. He whistles, bringing the silver-feathered Corviknight down and instructing it with soft words to fly low and guide to their location.

When they meet, Gavin surveys her curiously. "Katherine," he says after a pause. "You wanted to talk?"

Obviously, or she wouldn't have come all the way out here in pursuit of him. It's less a question and more an invitation: go ahead, I'm listening.
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
good girls go to heaven, bad girls rule the world
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2021 19:47:09 GMT

The sound of Gavin speaking her name elicits a smile to awaken, slowly painting her visage with a renewed sense of joy. Although it hasn’t taken over Katherine quite yet, something told the woman that she’ll enjoy this get-together.

Her encounters with the underboss were never disappointing, after all.

“Yes. Well, I think I said I wanted to congratulate you…” Naturally, her correction is accompanied by a signature, smug smirk that’s plastered to her countenance. ”I hope you won’t hold the fact I haven’t brought any gifts to you against me. Honestly, it totally slipped my mind.”

Maybe she’ll bring one to their next meeting, but knowing her, it was unlikely.

“I am sorry for not being there, by the way. I had a prior commitment for that day, so I couldn’t attend your little ceremony,” her teasing comes as no surprise. Gavin knew her long enough to be expecting these sorts of comments. “I am here now though, aren’t I? So… How was it?”

A determined stare settles upon the Underboss, or more specifically, his eyes, before the next question is voiced.

“How do you feel?”

notes:

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #D5B259; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,836 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2021 23:14:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Where once Katherine's teasing might have affronted the terse underboss, Gavin actually smiles at her, sharp canines flashing in Mt. Pyre's gloom.

"There are other ways to curry favour with me," he jests back, "but the sentiment is appreciated."

She locks eyes with him, and it's not difficult to see the fire in the amber depths of his own. He is not just confident, but happy. There is no doubt in his mind what she's asking.

"Never felt better," he replies, earnest. Then, he boldly ventures, "Was it the same for you?"

He's suspected her since the events at the church, but there had never been a good time to ask. Though they'd had their differences, he was not keen on accosting her in front of fellow Rockets. This was a delicate subject.
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
POSTED ON Mar 13, 2021 18:32:30 GMT

"Hmm..."

She reflects back to that fateful day when her destiny had been fulfilled. Giratina revealed itself to her once more. This time, Katherine promised to herself, that she wouldn't leave so easily. "Not exactly. We fought it first. Me, Fernando, that elite four bitch, and Mateo Lopez." For someone who'd revered Giratina as much as Katherine did, it seemed quite natural for her to speak about her stand-off against her patron deity.

"Naturally, it wasn't phased by our attacks. It was testing me."

One that she completed with passing marks. The other three fled without her, knowing the risks involved in staying. She, however, remained.

”I felt like something finally clicked. Those questions I always had were finally answered.” But as much as she knew, Gavin’s Lugia wasn’t capable of speech as much as Giratina. After all, it’d been corrupted by an outside force. She knew what that meant for normal pokemon but… A Legendary?

The possibilities were endless, and she preferred not to assume more than necessary.

“Either way, with Walsh’s machine… I think it’s fair to assume he’ll only look to create more avatars.”

Was Gavin bothered or worried by this fact? Did he care at all?

notes:

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,836 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2021 18:20:34 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Some legends are like that," he muses, remembering Articuno's words. There are others more suited to [your aggression] than I am. How right it had been. Gavin wouldn't trade his new partnership for the world. "They all make their choices for different reasons. Power, peace..."

Partnership, he thinks, and feels the comforting weight of Lugia's presence in his thoughts.

"Avatars are not so easily created." There's a note of defiant pride in his tone. Grateful though he is for what Walsh had done for Lugia, avatarship was something Lugia had granted him. "It was not Walsh who bestowed Lugia's power onto me. I know why I was chosen."

A smile flickers across his lips, and he offers no further insight.

"Regardless, Rocket is attracting the attention of legends of its own volition, now." He can recall a time when Rocket had no Avatars, at least to his knowledge. Now he knew of at least five: , , , Walsh... and himself. "Our power grows, and so does our influence."
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2021 23:04:38 GMT

“Hmm?”

She is a tad bit confused, seemingly not buying whatever it is that Gavin was trying to sell. After all, she did hear what happened. Walsh had some machine involved, it was not Lugia acting on his own - not without interference, at least. “Was there not some machine involved? Ugh, I should have made time to attend this meeting. Details are always so blurry when freaking grunts are writing the reports.”

It was funny how easy it was to convince some of the newer recruits to report back to her nowadays. Fame certainly had its ways.

“Sure. It is, I mean, we are. But I wouldn’t count the League out of the race just yet. They have double our numbers, Gavin, if not more.”

Underestimating them would be a fatal mistake. Despite the bad reputation, the League still had several key players who were more than capable of exploiting weakness should Rocket grow cocky.

notes:

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,836 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2021 1:20:34 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"You should have been there," he agrees, inclining his head. "Perhaps the grunts misunderstand the truth of what happened, but rest assured that the choice belonged to Lugia, and not to the machine."

He feels the weight of its presence in his thoughts, a confirmation.

He laughs, sharp, and shakes his head.

"I've never discounted the League's strength... only their intelligence. They've got plenty of powerful fools willing to follow them."

There was a reason Rocket had spent so long in the shadows and only now begun to sow the seeds of doubt. They were building up resources, power, Avatars.
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
POSTED ON Apr 17, 2021 13:17:41 GMT

"... In that case, what did the machine do, exactly?"

Perhaps it was related to Lugia's status? Although, she couldn't imagine a world where Rocket would care to reverse the effects of the shadowfication process. Especially on a ruthless tool such as Lugia itself. Then what was it?

Did Gavin even know?

"Oh, definitely. They have plenty more idiots in their midst than people capable of following orders. That's always been their biggest weakness if you ask me." Memories flash in her mind as she recalls a couple of instances where her co-workers have embarrassed themselves and the organization they worked for.

There were too many of those, really.

notes:

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,836 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2021 9:32:06 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin knows more than he's willing to divulge. His lip twitches with a secret smile. "Well, Lugia never spoke before, so it certainly did something."

Whether it had been incapable of speech or had simply chosen not to thanks to its animalistic rage was irrelevant; it hadn't spoken, to Gavin or anyone else as far as he was aware, until Walsh's machine had worked its magic.

He scoffs at the thought of the League, and says no more on the subject.

He does ask, curious, "Does Giratina speak to you?"

It hadn't, when they'd encountered it in the wormhole, but she hadn't been its avatar then. It had tried to attack them, besides.
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2021 15:41:10 GMT

The question manages to take Katherine by surprise, if only due to the fact that she hadn’t even thought of the idea itself before. Why wouldn’t it speak to her? Lugia having been silent for so long made sense if only because of its condition. But she couldn’t think of excuses for the rest of them.

“Of course it does. Why wouldn’t it?

Maybe the scientist in Gavin knew more than she did about this subject.

“It spoke to me the day we met, and now it just speaks whenever it wants to,” unlike other Avatars, Katherine had both the comfort and discomfort of sharing her body with her patron deity itself. Their bond transcended that of traditional pokeballs.

Never one without the other.

notes:

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,836 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2021 2:08:38 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"There's a chance not all of them can." He shrugs. "You know how it is when looking into myth and legend, I'm sure; you never know what accounts to believe."

The only legendary who had spoke to him prior to Lugia had been Articuno, in search of its avatar. He had seen others, but never heard them.

There are details with Lugia's speech: its arrogance in battle compared to an otherwise soothing influence. These details he keeps to himself.

"Articuno is capable," for he did not know Katherine had also entreated the icy legend, "so one could assume its counterparts can as well."

Not that anyone knew what Zapdos was up to.
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 12:59:22 GMT

”Hm, hm. Maybe.”

Frankly, she doesn’t sound too sure or confident about it. Not every legendary was born equal, yes, Katherine did believe that. But, she also believed that their prestigious titles demanded respect all the same. It made more sense to her that some of them chose not to speak. That it was an active decision to keep to themselves.

Not all of them were social, she presumed.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Gavin doesn’t need to hear about her encounter with Articuno. No one does. ”If you’re curious, I can always ask that obnoxious Silph about her bird. If they are anything alike, I am sure Moltres is just as loud and bitchy.”

The two's conversation is cut short when Katherine receives a text that requires her immediate attention. Some mission from the League, probably. Judging by the urgency, it was either that or one of her ghosts escaped from her apartment and started terrorizing her neighbors.

”I have to go. I'll text you when I have the answer.”

After all, Gavin was a scientist. He deserved to know.

notes:

close tab

played by

spiral

SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
HE/HIM
AUGUST 12
DISCORD
SHIV-SAMA-O
SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
SHIV-SAMA-O
IS MY GIRLFRIEND
777 height
777 height
THE GREATER THE DESPAIR THE SWEETER THE VICTORY
awards
5,178 posts
SPIRAL DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @spiral
SPIRAL
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 22:26:51 GMT
SPIRAL Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: