he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Don't Pinch Their Cheeks [Mission/Private]
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2021 0:50:41 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
There was so much more he could be doing right now. Catching Pokemon, training Pokemon, shopping for stuff. Almost half a year after getting his license, and he was still stuck in Slateport doing odd jobs and hoping he’d get to spend time with mentors that respected him.

What was he doing now? Taking care of an egg at a nursery, and if it hatched, take care of the Pokemon that was born. And sure enough, this one hatched five minutes after it went into his care, the Pichu within now in his arms.

Hardly what he wanted to be doing. But a job was a job; he had to earn money somehow.

And at least he was doing this with a mentor he liked, that also respected him. And he had his Minun and Togedemaru with him, the pair fawning over the Pichu and ready to help him at a moment’s notice.

How’s your egg looking, Doug?” he asked, taking a seat as he got a formula bottle ready to feed the newborn, “Yours hatch too?  Or you still waiting?

The little Pichu in Hideo's arms let out a little “Piiiiiii~” as it rubbed against his sweater, slowly starting to build up static electricity.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2021 2:15:41 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

He was just burning through his vacation days at this point, but for once, he didn't pay the fact any mind. Quality time with Hideo was a rare commodity these days, and the fact he couldn't even tell the young boy why beyond 'Military's busy' for now didn't make it any easier.

So today, it was a day dedicated entirely to Hideo.

Oh, and Bede. Who was Bede? The little Flabébé that had just been born from his egg. How had a tiny flower Fairy thing been born from an egg?

Man, he didn't friggin know, it wasn' a bug.

"Fresh outta the shell, mine is." Doug said from his position, draped lazily atop a plethora of pillows with a sleeping Flabébé rested atop his chest, his thumb gently running over its head and his straw hat over his face.

The breeze was nice, the pillows were lovely, and everything was just generally peachy.

Nearby, his Leavanny, Ollante, held an egg in each hand, humming softly while gently rocking them to and fro. His Snom, meanwhile, crawled up to Hideo and squealed as it looked up at the Pichu, thoroughly delighted to make his acquaintance.

"'Tis the life." Doug said softly. Against all odds, the job was turning out to be as relaxing as an actual vacation. "And speakin' of life... It's been a while, hasn't it Hideo? We gotta catch up."

So much must have gone in the other youth's life when he wasn't around... he wanted to hear it all.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2021 14:18:46 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo finished preparing the bottle, guiding it along the Pichu’s cheek. The little electric-type instinctively knew to turn its cheek, latching on to the bottle. The rubber tip thankfully didn’t attract any electricity, so Hideo avoided shocking himself. For now.

His Minun and Togedemaru made some room so the Snom could get a closer look at the feeding Pichu. They didn’t want anyone missing this adorable sight.

Really has been a while, huh.” Last time they met was at the Vital Festival, which...hadn’t ended well. And didn’t really lead to much of a conversation between the two. ”Wish I had a lot to tell you about, but I don’t. My parents are pretty on-edge with Rocket showing back up and everything, so I don’t get to do much stuff lately. Barely can even get out of Slateport anymore, even with a mentor.

And with Doug preoccupied with “military stuff”, the mentors he was getting were once again a mixed bag. He did get a few good ones, but those were the minority. Not to mention his parents were a lot more restrictive with what they could let him do; no more dungeon delving in the desert.

But other than the usual mentoring stuff, Andy’s been giving me dancing lessons. It’s been pretty alright.” Though Hideo was still pretty miffed over the whole sorta-kidnapping Andy did on him at the festival. “Been focusing a lot on training my new Pokemon too. I’m kinda reminding myself that the reason Rocky, Pom, and Elga are so good’s ‘cause I’ve had ‘em around for years. But it’s been going pretty well despite that; even got some people calling me a pro!

Still riding that high from when he met .

So what about you? Seems like you’ve been really busy lately. Moving up in the world?

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2021 18:30:29 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Frustratin', but I can't blame 'em." Doug said with some unusual iron in his tone, a single knee raising in the air before he crossed his other leg atop it, both of his hands wrapped behind his head. "Rockets are about. Can't trust no one these days."

The Flabébé slept soundly on his chest, the slow rise and fall of it almost like a cradle's rocking. The weather and blowing wind were just perfect for sleeping.

His head tipped back slightly at the mention of Andy, a single eye peering from under the brim of his hat at the other youth. Andy was a bit more, ah, hands on and bold than most when it came to dealing with danger.

"Just dancin'?" Doug asked, brow tilting ever so slightly. Well, better than any impromptu adventures, if nothing else. He grinned. "He's quite good, if memory serves m'well. Ya gettin' any good at it?"

The height difference between he and Hideo would make it hard to test, unfortunately. But that aside-!

"A Pro?" Doug echoed, tipping his head back in surprise, before grinning. "Oh, darn tootin'. Good job!"

He would've ruffled his hair, but... too far.

"Ya thinkin' 'bout gatherin' badges soon?" He said with clear excitement- perhaps a bit more than warranted... Hmm. "Let me know when yer up for it. Yer certainly of the right age awready."

Now that... that would be a cool way to reveal his new position to his student, wouldn't it? So cool...!

The youth had to contain his excitement before he started giggling giddily.

"Hmm?" He hummed cluelessly at Hideo's next words, staring blankly at the youth before clearing his throat. "My boy, you've no idea."

The grin was practically audible.

"How much do ya know 'bout the military, Hideo?" The youth asked singsongly. He suspected not much, given the youth's interests, but who knew? Maybe Doug had inspired him to look into it, haha!

... Even if Doug would kill a man before letting Hideo join the army.

"Do ya know how the chain o' commands goes?"

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2021 22:23:02 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo let out a sigh, slumping into his seat. “Yeah, just dancing. Can’t really do much when Rocket can be ‘behind any corner’.” He was dripping with sarcasm with that quote; it was the reason his parents gave him. “As if I don’t always have a Pokemon with me.” As if they’d have a reason to hurt him. “Hoping this whole Rocket thing goes away as fast as it came.  They've been beat before.

At least Doug’s impressed tone brightened his mood a little, bringing a small smile to his face.

Though it didn’t last. “Soon?” He couldn’t resist snorting. “I’d be waiting outside a gym right now if I could! But my parents won’t let me go and sign up for them.”  As they did before, still did, and he didn't feel any closer to making them stop doing in the future.  “I hear some kids get all their badges in a region when they’re ten. I’m halfway to twelve and I still don’t have any!

That little outburst was louder than he would’ve wanted, startling the Pichu in his arms. It moved away from the bottle, its little cheeks starting to crackle with electricity...but his Minun was quick to act, rushing over and hugging the Pichu. Both the boy and the baby were spared from a wild discharge, the Minun absorbing it harmlessly and quietly.

As far as Hideo was aware, Sneaker was just comforting the Pichu. “But if you know a way I can get a badge now...I’m all ears.  Getting one'll be more than enough proof for them.

The Pichu successfully pacified, Sneaker guided the bottle in Hideo’s hand back to the baby, who was eager to get back to its feeding.

Hideo could only shrug at Doug’s question. “I don’t know much.” His knowledge about the military was solely based on what he heard from movies and videos he listened to. Not really in-depth. “There’s soldiers...and generals. And then the head general, right?

He grinned. “Don’t tell me you’ve already become a general.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 1:45:54 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

The youth refrained from speaking at Hideo's first words, teeth gritting behind his lips and brow tightening beneath his hat's shadow. Self-aware as he was, he knew Rockets were not a subject he should ever discuss in full with Hideo.

The younger boy didn't need to hear that side of him. More importantly, he didn't want to rain on Hideo's thoughts by letting him know for just how long he suspected things would go this time.

"I'll talk to yer mom about the gyms." He said simply after a moment, shrugging his shoulders. "They shouldn't mind, if I chaperone ya."

He wished he could tell Hideo to simply come to his gym, but it wasn't ready for that just yet. Not to mention, he would still have to speak to his parents anyway.

Hideo's knowledge on the army was... what he expected. Doug laughed softly, his chest rocking about the flabebe on his chest, small petals shaking off its thin floral veil at that alone.

"If I had, Andy would've let'cha know in one o' those dance lessons o' yours, I can promise ya that much." He said with a smirk. Then again, would he have? That little jesting bet/promise had been made before the desert happened. "Nah, though I did get promoted recently."

"We are all soldiers, but there's the enlisted, and then there's the commissioned." He said. "The Enlisted Soldiers are the guys who get recruited; ya know, Privates, Corporals, Sergeants... it's the stuff you most often 'ear in movies."

The rank of the common man drafted into war.

"No real requirements, just go and sign off your life. Commissioned officers on the other hand, they are generally people with, well... college degrees. Higher education. Lieutenants, Majors, Colonels... Generals." He would've winked at Hideo at that, but he wouldn't have noticed anyway.

"Can ya guess which one is yers truly?"

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 23:08:31 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo perked up when Doug mentioned he could help with the badge business. "If you could do that, I'd be really grateful." Even just one badge would have to be enough proof that he was ready. And his parents knew and trusted Doug; maybe it could work if his mentor said he could.

Hideo wasn't the least bit surprised his knowledge about the military was lacking enough that it amused his mentor. It wasn't something he was planning to get involved in anytime soon, so not much reason to study up about it.

"Well, unless you got a degree since I last talked to you..." He was pretty sure Doug wasn't even old enough to go to college, and he was sure there weren't any colleges you could finish in a few months. He even recalled Doug mentioning he didn't even finish high school before he had to leave Kanto. "...I'm gonna say you're on the Enlisted side of the military?" Hideo didn't even need to follow that line of logic; Doug did enlist after they first met, so he could participate in that mentorship program.

And get health insurance. Hopefully he didn't need to use it that often now that he was really getting involved in League matters.

"And if you got promoted, and you start as a Private, you're a Corporal now?"

The little Pichu moved away from the bottle again - this time because it had its fill of formula. It very kindly wiped its mouth on Hideo's sweater as Hideo's Minun pushed the bottle away. The boy recalled being told to burp the baby Pokemon after each meal, so after laying the bottle down, he turned the Pichu on its back and began delivering some gentle back-pats to it.

"Congrats on the promotion, by the way. Good to hear you got promoted so soon too. You deserve it. Does it got you doing any cool stuff? That you can tell me about, I mean."

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 9, 2021 18:19:16 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"We'll get'cha in the challenge 'fore you know it." Doug said confidently.

He could handle Hideo's parents pretty well by now. They tended to ignore Hideo's reasoning with that typical, patronizing but well meaning consistency that parents usually displayed to their children, but Doug could usually get them to see it his way with some gentle persuasion.

"Ya might be surprised." Doug said with a laugh.

He hadn't really been too thorough on what was going on in his professional life, had he? Rarely did he ever speak about how he was doing; he preferred talking about what was going on.

"Yer logic's pretty sound, Hideo." Doug said with a hum. Indeed.

Under normal circumstances, rising through the ranks took years, and someone like him would naturally be an enlisted soldier, what with his age and lack of higher education.

Yes, under normal circumstances.

"Wrong, though."

These were not normal circumstances.

"I've been a Commissioned officer since January, as a matter of fact." Doug said, gently plucking the flabebe in his chest and laying it upon his palm before rotating to look in Hideo's direction, eager to see the reaction.

"After, ah... An memorable mission in the desert, m' commanding officer thought I would be a nice fit in the Army's special educational program. So... I'm studying for a degree in Military Science now. Got promoted after getting all the paperwork sorted out."

Even then, his projected promotion plans had been thrown into upheaval by his appointment as Gym Leader. But Hideo didn't need to hear that one yet.

"Either way, thanks for the congrats, kiddo. I appreciate it a lot." He said a chuckle. Hideo was the only friend of his who had congratulated him on it. Though to be fair, he wasn't keeping any of them updated.

"As for cool stuff..." He grinned slowly standing up to approach Hideo, his heels crunching on the grass as his hand came to ruffle the kid's hair. "No spoilers, but you'll get to hear all about it real soon. Promise!"

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2021 1:02:36 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
"I look forward to it!" Wouldn't be too surprising if Doug had connections now that could get him a shot at a Gym without much wait.

He was briefly pleased by his sound answer...only to learn it was wrong. "Really?!" he exclaimed - albeit quietly so as not to wake the napping babies. "Oh wow. So that means you're a…" It took him a moment to remember the Commissioned ranks. "...Major? Do I gotta start calling you Major Doug now?" Not that he planned to, even if the answer to that was yes - his smirk probably would make that clear.

His back-patting got results, earning a burp from the Pichu. But the little guy couldn't control his electric charge, and let out a small bolt of electricity. Fortunately, Hideo's Togedemaru served as a Lightning Rod, diverting the bolt away from the Flabebe Doug held. It was a weak shock, barely hurting even if Morb wasn't an electric Pokemon, but it ensured no babies got zapped.

Gas successfully expelled, Hideo laid the Pichu back on his sweater - and the little guy didn’t hesitate to curl up.

"But that's pretty impressive. I thought it took years to get through each rank." Even in his basic knowledge about the military, he knew that much. "Guess all that bug knowledge is really helping you, huh?" No, he didn't know how that would make any sense as a joke, but he'd said it anyways, smirking all the same.

And honestly, he was pretty surprised how well Doug was doing with the military. Hypercompetent he may be, he seemed to be more of a free spirit. Hopefully it was earning him enough to help him move somewhere that wasn't a homeless camp. Hideo doubted the League wanted any of its active Majors to be living in one - whether or not Doug was comfortable with it.

"But ranking up and getting a degree...no wonder you've been so busy lately! And they must be keeping you real busy doing missions and stuff. I'm surprised you got any time to yourself!" Let alone time to spend doing this kind of stuff.

"Your big surprise gonna be something with the military? Something you gotta keep confidential?" Though if that were true, why even hint at it? "Or you about to invite me to a promotion party?"

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2021 15:56:07 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"No, you little brat." Doug said, his own grin almost audible, before he laughed. "That's too high, even for me. I was a Lieutenant just a few days ago."

Hideo's praise was both accurate, and appreciated. In part anyway.

"Thanks, Hideo; And yer not wrong. I've been... extremely lucky." He said. It was supposed to take years. He grinned again, laughing. "It did come in super handy, I'll have ya know!"

A combination of luck, catching the attention of the right superiors, youth for once helping him out with that educational program, his personal niche, Hoenn's current state after the losses sustained through the recent wars, and his recent, military-unrelated promotion, had all worked in tandem to bring the youth as far as he had come as quickly as he had.

Needless to say, there were a lot of unhappy people about it, even amongst his own former men- heck, perhaps specially so. So he hadn't been too sad when he had been assigned a new company to help him manage his new duties... given he had been allowed to select most of his soldiers from a certain pool.

"I can delegate now, ya know." He said with a chuckle, though Hideo wasn't wrong. Time was a commodity these days. "I can always make time for ya anyway. If ya ever need me, don't think twice, just call, eh?"

Limited time was best spent with the people he cared for. Hideo didn't need to know he was putting off his studies to be here, nor anything of the like. All nighters were his tools for when such things caught up with him.

"Well, it's not completely unrelated... but you'll just have to wait to find out for yourself, eh? I can definitely promise a party, though. Put it down on your schedule, little guy. Who knows, maybe we can invite to celebrate too."

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2021 23:22:49 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo didn't mind that he was wrong again, even letting out a little *snrk*; it was Doug's area of expertise, not his. "Well, I guess Lieutenant Doug still has a nice ring to it," Hideo said, brushing his hand gently against the Pichu napping on his sweater, "And with how quickly you're rising through the ranks, I'm sure you'll be a Major in no time!"

There'd be a notable pause between Doug mentioning a party (earning a smile from Hideo), and mentioning inviting (which lowered the smile a little).

"Yeah...I guess we could invite Andy." Truth be told, Hideo was still pretty miffed about Andy sorta kidnapping him to get him away from that Tauros stampede at the Vital Festival. He knew it wasn't intended to be like that, but he had to lie his ass off to his parents and sorta-blackmail his brother to avoid getting forbidden from meeting with Andy again.

Not that that would stop him.

With a short moment to think, a new question popped up in his head. "Hey Doug," he said, "Now that I think about it...you think you ever would've joined the military if we never met?"

He waited a little before adding anything, to give Doug time to think if he needed it. "I know you kinda did it to get involved with the mentorship program, but were you thinking about doing it before?" Especially considering how it seemed Doug wasn't able to do it much now that he had more responsibilities - even if he could delegate some of them. “Can’t imagine working with bug-Pokemon is the only thing you ever wanted to do ‘til you met me.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2021 18:43:57 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Hah! Hope not!" Doug said with a laugh. "I've got... more than enough on my plate for now."

The casualties from the Rocket Invasion and the Alien wars left far too many openings and chances which his superior officer, for whatever reason, had chosen to seize in order to assist Doug's advance.

Maybe he had seen his close relations with several Gym Leaders and made a correct judgement call.

Regardless, the Soldiers who had made it through the wars, who had been in the military for years, waiting for their chance to advance did not appreciate a rookie with less than a year in the army suddenly blasting up the ranks through mostly outside influence.

But Hideo didn't need to hear about that bit of adult drama. Doug was already tired of it in any case.

Doug couldn't see Hideo's face from where he sat, but he knew what reluctance sounded like.

"Wasn't Andy teaching ya how to dance?" Doug asked after a moment. "Something the problem?"

He didn't need trouble in his paradises out of work; please let it be something that could be easily mediated...

The subject was put aside, however, when Hideo unexpectedly asked Doug about, well... his future plans, essentially. Or in his case, perhaps the lack thereof would have been more accurate.

"You think too highly of me." Doug said, forcing a laugh. He didn't have much of a response for the youth. "I didn't have any plans- not even working with bugs."

Had he wanted to join the military? Not really. Kanto had still been occupied by Rocket, but it wasn't like a fire had burned in his chest then. He had been wasting away in the streets of Slateport, playing hooky from school and finding ways to keep himself distracted from how bad his life had spiraled out of control.

"Don't worry, though." He said, turning his gaze towards the youth, before smiling. "I don't regret anythin'."

In a lot of ways, his life as it was now could be said to have started when he sporadically decided to join the league and become one of Hideo's mentors.

"Wouldn't change a single choice I've made since I met'cha."

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2021 0:25:58 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Another little snort from Hideo. "Yeah, I guess that much responsibility so soon would be too much for anyone. Still, hope you get when you're ready for it." Maybe he'd be ready after he was done studying for his degree.

But Hideo could only sigh once Doug asked more about Andy. If Doug really wanted to know, he might as well tell him. And technically, Doug did have a hand in it, so he might as well know how it went.

"Well...when you told Andy to get me away from that Tauros stampede at the festival, he kinda dumped me in the middle of his camp without warning. Where I didn't have any cell service or have any idea where I was. And I kinda went to the festival with my brother, and he was still there after I got moved." Yeah, they'd separated the moment they got there, but that didn't change what their parents thought. "I really don't like being lost. Nobody really does, but it really stresses me out."

"And Andy kinda...kidnapped me there. If I didn't make my brother pretend I was with him the entire time, let’s just say my parents wouldn't let me keep getting dance lessons from Andy. Wouldn't even be letting me take care of these babies right now. Probably wouldn't let me go to any festivals without me stuck to their hip either." He wouldn't be going to any soon anyways, with the whole stampede happening and whatnot.

All in all, no harm no foul, but that didn't mean he still wasn't a bit upset over it. His brother was gonna give him shit for this forever.

But enough about the festival kerfuffle; it was time to talk about Doug

Hideo raised an eyebrow when Doug presented himself as someone who never had a plan. "Really? Didn't take you as lazy. You always seem to got a plan when you’re doing stuff with me." Not that he thought Doug was lying to him - why would he? - but it was such a wild difference from what he’d experienced.

A smile returned to his face. "I'm glad helping me ended up helping you a lot too. Guess it's kinda like that saying, 'A good teacher teaches their student; a good student teaches their teacher'." Hm..saying it that was a little janky. "Or something like that."

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,864 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2021 18:27:46 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Oh.

"Well... don't be too angry at Andy." Doug said after a moment, slowly sitting up as he brought his hand atop the flabebe gently, keeping it to his chest. "If that's the problem- then it really is my fault, ain't it?"

He had been the one who had begged Andy to look after Hideo- which given everything going on, had probably been dumping a lot of Doug's plate onto the other youth's.

It really wasn't fair on him to bear the brunt of Hideo's frustrations, that being the case.

"I'm sorry ya had to go through that, Hideo." He said, moving to sit down closer to the kid, the crunch of grass alerting the other youth of his approach, before his butt plopped down besides the kid. "Can't imagine what it must've been like."

Being completely blind, while surrounded by pokemon you didn't know, somewhere you didn't know? It could have been absolutely horrifying, or not. He was not Hideo nor had he ever lived through anything like Hideo's circumstances; he couldn't pretend he could imagine.

Doug reached over to ruffle the kid's hair gently when he mentioned his 'plans', laughing.

"Well I wouldn't be much of a mentor if I didn't even have a lesson plan, would I?" He said with a grin. 'Lesson' was perhaps giving himself too much credit, but he always did do his best to have a plan on hand when with Hideo. He was the one with the freedom and the means to make things happen- so he should make those things memorable for the kid.

They always managed somehow, even if half the time it was due to Pom-pom almost traumatizing Doug.

"Ya darn right that's how it goes." Doug said, plopping his hat atop Hideo's head. He didn't need to say it; plenty had been learned just from being around Hideo. "I'm glad I met'cha too, Hideo."

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,413 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2021 23:24:03 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo sighed.

It didn't bother him much that Doug was apologizing. He did have a hand in Andy sending him to the camp. And as much as he wanted to help, Hideo knew the first priority was getting away from the stampede before it ran him over.

What bothered him was that Doug was trying to take all the responsibility for it. Like he told Andy to dump him in the middle of nowhere. "It's not your fault, Doug," Hideo said, "He could've brought me anywhere we've been before, like his house, but he put me somewhere I'd never been before. I'm pretty sure he knows not to do that again." And at the very least, he knew where to go from Andy's camp.

After that little bout of complaining, Hideo grinned. "But I guess you can get some of the blame if you want." He raised a fist, shaking it like some cartoon villain as he spoke with the most phoned-in passion, "Curse you, Lieutenant Doug!"

He couldn't hold in his snickering. Even his Minun and Togedemaru joined in. He wasn't going to put any of the blame on Doug, even if Doug wanted it.

So with hair freshly-ruffled and covered with a hat, Hideo fully smiled. "I'm glad to have met you too, Doug."

The little Pichu on his lap stirred in its sleep. Hideo hadn't been completely distracted from it, but perhaps it was time to put it with the rest of the sleeping babies.

Hideo stood up, thinking to his own Pichu. "You know, I got a Pichu like this one pretty recently. I already got a name for her, but I did have a runner up, so maybe I can give it to this Pichu? You think 'Mina''s a good name for a Pichu?"

An ears-up (the closest he could get to a thumbs-up) from his Minun would show his inspiration for that nickname.