DEVIL [Social / Closed]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 4:15:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar

Silph co. A corporation hell spawn that is the embodiment of the worst in the industry. Working their employees like mules, a plethora of horrific tales are produced every day from within those cold white walls. It made Jo sick to her stomach. Yet, with her current position in the unemployment demographic, she had no other choice. Eight years unaccounted in the industry can really ruin one's job outlook.

So, here she was, donned in a black pant suit, awaiting for her name to be called upon. She casted a glance across the waiting room, her emerald eyes examining each and every inch of the polished décor that had been meticulously placed there, placing personal judgement on whatever caught her attention. Nothing did, though. It was the corporate standard of perfect and neat-- how boring.

To think she had to gamble away some of her precious research for this? It was a hard pill to swallow. But she knew there was no other way of snatching that bastard's attention, and the usual route of employment would've left another robotic response in her inbox. No thanks. The ends of her lips quirked up into a smile. Regardless of the outcome, this meeting was a small victory in it's own right. For men like Fernando Silph, stealing even a minute of their time could be considered quite the feat.

They are all the same, those business men. Time is money, conversation is potential profit, and every agreement should result in a ROI. There is no other way to live for them. So, when brought with the question of how to contact the merciless man himself, she knew exactly what to send:

Here's hoping you have enough time for a quick chat.

Attachment: REDACTED_P 101239_10.25.20_pg1

"Joan Banister, right this way." The sound of the young assistance's callout brought the professor to her feet. She nodded, smiled, and followed her through the various corporate hallways. The only sound she heard was that of their own clicking heels against the polished tile flooring.

"One moment please." With a curt nod the assistant spun around and rapped softly at the door. "Sir, Dr. Joan Banister is here."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 4:46:58 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Come in.

As expected, Fernando’s voice cracks like a whip, sharp with demand. It plays up the carefully crafted image the media has used to demonize him. Anything for extra coverage. But their depictions aren’t far from the truth. It lies somewhere in the middle, toed between hero and tyrant depending on who’s asked.

Not that he cares.

Behind the door is Fernando’s office. Unlike the decorated halls and furnished waiting rooms, his is an empty canvas void of distraction. Every space is either empty or filled with something functional. Monitors make up the bulk of his walls, each one with a screen that either shows security footage, replayed videos of the news, or some sort of metrics that make no sense without a legend.

His standing desk is raised, sparsely populated with only his laptop’s docking station, his cellphone, a triple monitor stand, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Almost a testament to the man himself, his work environment is pristine, lacking anything unnecessary to help hone his attention.

Doctor Banister,” he answers with a more acceptable volume. He minimizes his browser window, filled out with her search results, before peering toward the entryway to his office.

A pleasure.

@joan

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2021 7:26:52 GMT
Deleted Avatar

The assistant, a mousy woman, stepped back from the cracked door. She spun around to face Jo again, tilted her head and smiled before bidding her a simple farewell. "He's ready to see you now!" Then, with a quick nod she ushered herself back towards her station.

Jo took a moment to prepare herself. Curling and uncurling her hands into fists, the woman attempted to metaphorically cast away her nerves, knowing there was no place for them moving forward. One sign of weakness and the lion's maw would loosen just enough to sink his fangs into her.

Go. Without a single sign of hesitation, the prideful woman answered the calls of the lurking devil inside, entering the office with a slight smile pressed across her face. Immediately upon entering the room, her emerald eyes took a moment to recognize the environment around her. How corporate. Every inch of the room screamed of it's productive use. The monitors, the lack of distractions, the raised desk - it all lived, breath, and embodied the sickly life this devilish man lived.

"It's an honor to be here," Her words were elegant, yet there was a strong weight behind them. Like a thread slipping through a needle. "Not many can say they were lucky enough to meet the man behind Silph Co."

Despite her glorifying words, her features remained still, like a robot programmed to answer with empty flattery. Not that she thought he would mind. He was a robot himself. The sound of Jo's heels clicking against the pristine tile flooring filled the room as she moved towards the desk. Then, without missing a beat, she took a seat in front of him. Crossing her legs, the scientist perched her elbow on the chair's right arm rest, shifting her weight towards the right of the chair.

"Mr Silph," She paused for a moment, eyeing the man as she awaited a reaction, "I don't mean to waste too much time, but... I'm curious. Are you a philosophical man yourself?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2021 16:00:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Ah. It’s nothing impressive. I’ve been working on it, really.

Flattery means nothing to him. Empty praise is the lip service of those that want something. He knows because he’s the proprietor of white lies made to grow egos and the budding partnerships that rise with their buoyance. His dismissal a metaphorical bow of his head, meant to humble himself, disarm any reserves so she can lower her guard.

They’re tastier when defenseless.

Depends on the school of thought.” Her question is a momentary distraction. Whatever she’s aiming for, he allows it, entertained. It’s a better lead than most dare to attempt so he follows guidance.

I do try to keep an open mind.

He doesn’t push her because this is her play. He is but the audience.

The floor is hers.

@joan

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2021 22:54:59 GMT
Deleted Avatar

Scientist are never born - they are created. Pulled and batted together, like balls of clay, roughly molded to examine the world at which they are forced to live in. But, before they can be utilized by the people around them, they must be prepped with the basics of all levels of thinking. The scientific method. The same method every scientist derives their greatest theories from.

First step: Ask a question.

The corner of her lips quirked up into a smile. His answer was nothing surprising, and yet, the hidden approval laced between his quick answers was enough to spark a zap of excitement within her. "An open mind is all you need," She agreed, "For both philosophy and other things."

Always commend the other for their response. Make them feel important, heard, and admired. Whether Silph cared for it or not is irrelevant, negative feedback is never warranted until the playing field is even. And right here, in this hellscape of an office, Jo was the definition of disadvantaged.

"You know, whenever I'm lost at work, I often think of this quote by Nietzsche. I'm sure you've heard of it - 'He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.' "

Her fleeting smile dropped. She waits before speaking again, allowing her words enough time to properly hang in the air, adding onto the already thick levels of tension. "What cost do you associate with that of truth?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2021 23:15:27 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]The method in which one presents themselves is a glimpse of their character. Words are picked with purpose, quotes filled with meaning, meant to insinuate expressions that are best left unsaid. His reaction is simple but polished, manicured by her predecessors. Fernando’s smile is disarming in a feint of curiosity.

She has his interest.

Costs fluctuate. Prices don’t stay the same for long, Doctor Barnister.

Spunk is only a novelty the first time. Those before her have depreciated her element of surprise. He predicts what’s coming because scientist are built, not born. By-products of their environment, the truths of the world remain the same. Hard facts do not change, therefore, neither do they.

A deal made in the dark is fraught with stipulations. What may seem to be a bargain on the surface, is theft without the proper background.

@joan

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2021 3:00:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar

Step two: Gather information.

Corporate and cold, he responded to her question as any proper businessman would. Without a clear answer. And yet, it still served as one, granting her just enough information to smudge by the cracks and reach closer towards her ultimate goal. Whether it be through casual words or blood dripping battle, Jo was here to fight for her life. Because, again, every scientist is created by those around her. And Joan Barnister's blueprint specially designed a life so unsatisfying that it's forever entangled with their own insatiable hunger for information. For the hidden truth behind this veil of ignorance plaguing her mind. Without it, she is nothing. A woman without purpose is a woman better left forgotten.

"Is it theft," She inquired, eyebrow cocked upward, "Maybe to an observer I suppose. Costs do fluctuate to one's demand, though. If one's demand is high enough..."

She paused. For a moment, her emerald eyes gazed down at his emptied desk, eying the severe lack of distraction. The sight screamed more of Fernado's personality than his own features. Jo looked back up at Silph. "Well, for them, price is irrelevant."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2021 6:34:13 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“I offer you a job here. The contract details your salary and responsibilities. Terms of service, if you will.” Fernando counts philosophy with his own hypotheticals. There’s a tale to be told and he does so without the fancy laces. A simple story works just as fine.

Like his desk, Fernando’s points are immaculate, pristine.

You sign. Your choice. And later, when opportune, it is revealed that extra statures were stated in bleached white text. Sketchy, yes, but technically legal considering a pdf was given to you as an alternative well after you signed but within the required date.

He nods. “That is theft through the absence of information. Costs, without a thorough detail of what is expected and what will be collected, as well as given, is dynamic.

And then his head steadies, unmoving except for his jaw.

Thankfully, I look to promising individuals to uncover this knowledge and more. The costs? Irrelevant. I foot the bill to make sure our generation can make as many discoveries as our forefathers before us.

He returns to her quote with a relaxed exhale.

This world runs on the bonds we make with these pocket monsters. We live, we laugh, and we fight with them by our side. If we turn into monsters ourselves, does that not bring us closer to the creatures we cherish?

@joan

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 10:17:56 GMT
Deleted Avatar

Joan smiled. Fernando Silph definitely lived up to the stories.

"I fear we may be one of the few people who agree with that sentiment."

A tinge of laughter fluttered in her response. As villainous as he was, there were no denying the similarities between them. To be willing to forgo one's humanity in order to reach closer to the truth - well, that was reserved for a certain breed of men.

Just as he returned her quote, the Professor returned her own spin on the hypothetical he presented. "I sign the contract, assuming what isn't obscured fits with what I require to further my own personal goals and desires. I put in my time, effort, and work into the responsibilities. Then, as you said, extra statures are revealed. Situations change for the worse." As she talks, her chin naturally rises, and her eyes continued to intently stare back at him. Both unfaltering and unrelenting.

"For most, I would agree with you. There is no denying the blatant theft. But - and I would say those promising individuals would agree - discoveries, progress, change...everything requires some level of risk and sacrifice. No level of knowledge will ever change that fact of life. It's this difference in resolution to discover the truth in spite of the risk associated that separates those who produce change and those who stand in the way of it. "

She paused, took a quick breath, then leaned back into her chair. Her body seeped into it's crinkled leather.

"At least that's my belief."

Sorry for the late reply! Should be able to post more often now <3

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON May 3, 2021 7:47:43 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Good.

His judgement is final. Her attachment had been the appetizer but it is her resolve that becomes the main course. An aroma of promise comes before he can savor her taste, prompting him to expedite the process.

You’ll fit right in.

Fernando opens a window on his computer, opposite her view behind the safety of his monitors, sending a message for an offer letter to be drafted. “Were you curious about anything else or does that sate your appetite enough for me to whet it with your first project?

@joan

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 2:09:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Fernando's cool words were as reliving as they were daunting. The battled had been won, but the cost remained unclear for now--though, none of that mattered. Joan was satisfied for now.

"No further questions." A spark ignited in her eyes. Their conversation had already revealed what she wanted to know. All that was left was to dive in. "I'd rather cut to the chase."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DEVIL [Social / Closed]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 2:16:31 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Then we’ll start with what you can provide—” He reopens the attachment from her e-mail, skimming it once more. Reading it was one thing but hearing it was another. On paper, taking time to review and revise subject matter makes it easy to come off as articulate. To do so at a moment’s notice show intimacy that reflects her confidence in the subject matter.

What can you provide to Silph Co.? What is your expertise? And why should I slot you instead of someone who’s already here?

@joan