thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 7:10:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She adapts slow, but he is more lenient than his own conditioning should allow. She is trying, he tells himself, and that's what counts. She'll learn, he hopes.

He shakes his head, tongue clicking impatiently behind his teeth.

"No. Use your brain. How did I regain the advantage?"
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 7:16:41 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]"I mean ya said it yourself, ya changed the weather back t' hail," Plank replies matter-of-factly, once again biting off more words before they can come.

'Oh yeah, and ya cheated like a fuckin' bastard.'

A second after the thought has passed, more constructive words come.

"I guess your fuckin' r -- your Sandslash vanished. It . . . camouflaged itself or whatever," she only narrowly avoids the more insolent wording, and then has to pause to remember the word she wants. Standing is starting to really hurt, so she makes to sit down once she's done speaking.

[newclass=.sunshine]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sunshine b]color: #f9993d[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 7:37:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Yes," he confirms, waiting.

The epiphany he's hoping for doesn't come; she focuses her attention elsewhere, instead, but he doesn't express any sort of frustration.

"That's its ability," he says of Sandslash. "Snow Cloak."

The name, he feels, is self-explanatory.

"Your Pelipper — its ability is Drizzle, is it not?"

He watches as she sits down, doesn't protest.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 7:43:04 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Sitting is nice, the cool stone is nicer. She sticks her legs out straight in front of her. Almost thoughtlessly she turns her right leg out until the healed over, but still angry red, slashes on it press against the cold cave floor. It's probably less than sanitary but she doesn't care. She almost groans with relief.

"Yeah, Swabbie makes it rain whenever I send him out ont' the field," she says, leaning back on her arms so she can stare at the ceiling, "What's that got t' do with how ya 'won' though?"

There's no air quotes but the way she says the word 'won' makes it clear she thinks it's a contentious choice at best.

[newclass=.sunshine]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 7:55:41 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She's close, but each time she comes within grasping distance of the answer Gavin expects, he finds her trailing off into the same expectant silence. had taught him this, too: he was smart, able to fill in the blanks his mentor left.

"Think not of winning and losing, but of the advantage gained by the weather — or lack thereof. What moves does your Pelipper know?"

Though she'd said its name, 'Swabbie', Gavin doesn't use it.

close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 8:02:13 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]The longer this conversation continues the more she struggles to engage. Her leg hurts, she's exhausted from the battle, her head hurts from crying, and she's still only just barely keeping her mouth in check. The last thing she wants to do is list off attacks her Pokemon know.

"Swabbie knows uh . . . Hurricane, water pulse . . . Protect, air slash, 'n' tailwind," she feels like there's one more she was running with the pokemon but she can't remember and doesn't care to, "As far as advantages go? Hurricane 'n' water pulse are stronger in rain."

She finally turns her eyes from the ceiling to Gavin.

"So what? I used them in the rain while it was up. It's why your blizzard didn't do shit."

Her frustration is starting to creep back into her voice. She wishes Gavin would just get to the fucking point.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 23:58:15 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Where Plank grows frustrated, Gavin remains patient.

"Yes, they are." She finally turns his gaze to look at him, and amber eyes blink slow. "While it was up — I allowed it to be, temporarily, but what if I hadn't? What if I'd disabled the rain immediately?"

There is no need to click, to whistle — the cavern begins to fill with an unnatural rain at Lugia's behest. Its wide wings shift to loom over their heads, an imposing umbrella.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 0:07:54 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Plank gets up off her arms so she can cross them in front of her chest. She leans forward, spreads her legs slightly to make the motion easier and keep from tipping as she does it. A hiss slips from between her teeth as her raw wounds scrape against the cave floor. Probably should have lifted that leg.

"Mmm," she shuts her eyes, partially to hide her wincing and partially to help her think, "Well I probably woulda been kinda fucked."

The response is simple and she doesn't elaborate.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 6:18:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Rain continues to fall, soaking into drifts left in Sandslash's wake and turning them to pools of slush. The breeze that blows through Shoal Cave is cold, makes gooseflesh rise on Gavin's arms.

She refuses to put the pieces together — it's how he sees it, regardless of whether or not she's trying.

"If I regained my advantage by shifting the weather, what if you could have done the same?"

At last, Gavin recalls the uncomfortable Lucario, leaving himself and Plank alone with Lugia's imposing shadow.

"If your strategy relies upon the rain, you need a reliable source of it."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 6:30:57 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]What Gavin says sounds redundant at first. Yeah no shit if she could just turn the hail off that would have been great. But then she says it back to herself as Gavin (finally) gets to the point and it starts grinding. Plank's face goes from frustrated to scrunched with thought to suddenly almost surprised.

Her eyebrows rise and her mouth forms a silent "oh" as it clicks.

"Oh, so like, I should have a uh . . . what's it .. a Rain Dancer," she says, leaning forward a little further and placing her hands palms-down on the ground, "That way I can just put the rain back up whenever my opponent fucks around with it."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 6:43:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin nods, encouraging.

"Yes, exactly. I was able to regain the advantage of Hail, and you couldn't counter that in turn — but if you had, I may have struggled, especially with the advantage given by the Tailwind. That was a good strategy."

He sits down himself, finally, leans his back against Lugia's broad chest and feels it rise and fall with breath. It's comforting, grounding in the aftermath of something he'd not wanted to do. He closes his eyes, focuses on the rain.

"Have you thought about taking on the gyms?"
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 6:56:00 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Plank nods her head along as Gavin speaks, mentally playing back what he says in the hopes of remembering it for later. It takes some real focus. Scraping her leg has those cuts screaming at her again and the small bit of pride she got from puzzling out Gavin's little problem can't overcome the exhaustion from everything else.

The bit of praise threatens to, though, for just a moment. Despite herself a small grin presses at the corners of her lips when Gavin compliments her opening strategy. She thought it was pretty good while cooking it up in the cave, too.

"The gym challenge?" she takes a break from internally congratulating herself to shoot Gavin a confused look, "No, not really. That's just battle theatre for prissy kids. I don't have the time."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 10:49:21 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He almost laughs, in spite of himself; there's a huff of breath that escapes him, lips quirking into the ghost of a smile before it fades.

"Mm. I thought so, too, at first."

He had trained at an Academy growing up, but Rocket had taught him how to battle for real. Go for the trainer, go for the throat — win, kill.

With eyes still closed, he pictures .

"But everyone's got a strategy, and the gym challenge helps you get better at figuring them out." He opens his eyes, blinks at her. "I've done it, myself."

He reaches inside of his blazer, pulls out a thin metal case. Seven stylized badges glimmer in the pale cavern light as he angles it toward her: some active, others retired. Meadow, Skyrider, Clairvoyance, Mystery, Stone, Silph, Nimbus.

"Could help you adapt your own strategy against others, as well."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 20:52:13 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]"If ya say so," she acquiesces with a tired sigh, Plank is finally starting to see where this conversation is going and she can't say she loves it. She also can't overstate how little she wants to walk away from this conversation with homework from the man who left her with two more scars than she entered with.

Not that she imagines she'll be getting much choice in the matter.

Instead of worrying about the inevitable, Plank turns her attention to the badges Gavin displays to her. They mean little and less to their as far as their shapes go. One of them looks like the emblem for Silph Co., knowledge she has only because of how dominant the company is, and there's some that look like . . . leaves? feathers? One kinda looks like a monster?

What does mean something, though, is the number.

"Wow, seven, you're close" she remarks with a laugh that's more mocking than impressed, "Can't believe I'm lookin' at Hoenn's next champion."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
cold cold cold [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 23:58:33 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Her mocking laughter sees his expression sour — but, this time, he lets it slide.

"I've no interest in going all the way to the top." Perhaps there had been a curiosity, once, but it had died as he rose through Rocket's ranks. Now, the badges he'd earned were little more than proof of concept. "But to attain the rank of Beast, it's expected we show our prowess in battle. Difficult to do, when Rocket was underground."

We, Gavin says, without thinking; a hint toward a bygone dream.

"Unless you see yourself pursuing a different route — I know potential when I see it."