thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 5:20:18 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though the door to Gavin's office is soundproof, a camera feed to the outside alerts Gavin when someone raps upon it. He looks up from a document he'd been perusing, adjusts his glasses, and clicks his tongue.

The door shimmers as fairy lock dissipates. The clunk of the lock disengaging would be enough of an invitation for to enter.

"Beckett."

He doesn't smile, but there's a warmth behind his mask of cool professionalism. Gavin gestures to the chair, an invitation.

"How have you been settling?"
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
HIDING FROM THE SUN, WAITING FOR THE NIGHT TO COME.
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 6:01:21 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"merlino."

it's routine at this point — knock, wait, enter, approach. he barely notices the gesture but accepts the invitation regardless.

"well. this rocket's interesting, to say the least."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 6:13:11 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
When the door closes, shutting out sound, Gavin laughs.

It's a gentle, genuine sound that softens the severity of the underboss and brings a warmer quality to the cold sterility of the metal office.

"Honesty, Beckett. I know you think them soft."

Gavin, for his part, agrees. Efforts have been made to shore up their weak with the lessons of the strong. He will not let it become Kanto — but the return of his old mentor is in line with a return to their roots, however slight.

"You know I'm looking to strike a balance. Are you ready to commit to that?"
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 6:19:22 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"soft, but interesting."

comfort is not hard to find in this office despite its bareness. he settles easily into the chair, leans back as he speaks.

"i am."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 6:25:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I do hope interesting is good."

A smirk flits briefly across his lips, teasing.

"Excellent. I told you that your patience would be rewarded, mm?" He allows a beat for the implication to settle on its own. "How would you like your old job back?"

It's rhetorical; Gavin's certain he knows the answer.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:13:51 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]the implication is quick to settle. his eyes widen slightly, not much but enough, and he already knows the answer before the question's even asked.

but he contains himself.

"i'll take it if it's offered."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:17:20 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin, too, contains himself. His lips purse as if to suppress a chuckle.

"It's offered. Westcliff stepped down."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:20:23 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]a chuckle escapes him.

"then i'll take it."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:29:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I thought you might."

Gavin stands, a fluid movement before he circles his desk. Fingers trail the wood, and he gestures with his other hand toward the door.

"Walk with me."

They find themselves, eventually, in the main foyer of Rocket's submarine HQ. The stage where Declan Walsh had delivered his speech upon a rise to power is vacant now but for a grunt sitting on its edge, phone in hand.

Gavin shoos him with a lazy flick of the wrist.

"I've told you that it's power I seek." His voice is low, meant for Beckett alone. There's a familiar hunger in his amber stare that's suppressed, this time, for the sake of business. "That power extends to those who would follow me."

He tucks his hand into his blazer, retrieves a pair of luxury balls. From them, emerge two Ultra Beasts: Stakataka and Naganadel. Their presence is imposing, the drone of Naganadel's wings echoing ominously through the air.

"Do you know what these are?"
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:36:15 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]he nods and does as he's told. he follows without resistance, trailing after merlino as if tethered.

"you did."

the immediate presence is imposing. he almost winces under it but he holds strong. he's faced worse and lived. eyes drift up to take them in.

"no, tell me."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:39:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There's a gleam in Gavin's eyes when Beckett reveals his ignorance, something like excitement.

"Ultra Beasts. Heard of them?"

Naganadel hovers impassively. Stakataka's cubes reveal themselves to possess individual 'eyes', slowly blinking out of sync with one another.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:43:25 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"i have not."

though both are impressive, his eyes stay fixed on one. he studies, analyzes.

"i assume this one is a poison-type from its stinger."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:55:52 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Aliens, essentially. Lifeforms out of Ultra Space."

As he'd expected, Beckett's attention lingers on the Naganadel. Gavin no longer bothers to contain his smirk, allowing his expression to reflect a muted form of his excitement.

"It is, yes. Dragon, as well. Unfortunately, its poison's been largely neutralized by the antidote required to tame it. They were a particular menace when the Megalopolans brought them to Hoenn, couldn't get near them without being stung. But I'm sure it's still plenty dangerous if you were to, say, inject it into someone's bloodstream..."

He eyes Beckett through his peripheral, reflecting on an old memory.

"Ultra Beasts toxins are thought to be responsible for Shadow Pokemon. It was a group of Nihilego that corrupted Lugia. I kept this one," and he gestures vaguely to Naganadel, "in the hopes that I might be able to create my own — alas, Lane was a fantastic scientist, and his antidote seems to have removed all hope of that."

Gavin shrugs.

"So I thought I might offer it to you. It's known as 'Naganadel'."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 7:59:47 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]how does one communicate with an alien? he ponders as he continues to observe and listen, taking in every word merlino says even if he never turns once.

"naganadel."

he repeats, pleased.

"i'll try not to inject this one into your bloodstream, merlino."

his lips break into a genuine smile — a small one, but it's enough.

"are you sure?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
antidote
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 8:02:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
A soft huff of breath betrays withheld laughter.

"Appreciated."

He holds out the luxury ball belonging to the offered Ultra Beast, who seems to understand with relative indifference the transaction taking place in front of it. Its attention shifts to Beckett, intense but not threatening.

"There's no one I'd trust with it more."