plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 6:14:29 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Jeans suck. She's spent years looking at them thinking they must be comfy if everyone wears them, but every time she moves her legs they drag on her skin and her skin can't breath and -- they just suck! But walking around with a red-stained bandage staring at everyone passing is an idea that sucks more. Walking around with her literal scars on display sucks way worse.

"What are we doin' out here, again?" Plank chooses to channel her frustration at Gavin instead. She does her best not to make it too obvious. Their relationship isn't one where she can do that anymore.

As she asks the question she adjusts her position where she sits at a dingy window. Crosses her arms so her jacket-clad arms rustle against each other. Leans back against the windowsill in a way that makes her tank-top ride up just enough to be annoying and need a quick fix.

[newclass=.sunshine]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sunshine b]color: #f9993d[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 14:22:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Pest control," Gavin drawls.

It's a crude way of wording it, but he's sure she'll catch the implication clear enough. She'd learned how Rocket handled rat problems courtesy of one .

"How's the leg?"

had told him of their battle, of the injury sustained.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 20:14:37 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]"Hmm," Plank hums in understanding. Cutting off some loose ends, then. Deserters, traitors, whatever you call Rockets not doing their job anymore.

Any unease she feels at the knowledge of the bloody task likely ahead of her is drowned out by the residual ache of the few remaining injuries to her face.

Gavin's question about the fresher pain that runs up her calf earns a short click of her teeth; and then a couple words as she thinks better of leaving it there.

"Good enough," she replies tartly, the implication under the words clear: 'It won't slow me down, and that's all you need to know.'

[newclass=.sunshine]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 12:54:42 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There's been a sharp shift in dynamic that Gavin hadn't wanted, but he respects it with a curt nod. Better, he tells himself, that she's bitter and alive.

"Let me know if it becomes a problem."

He gestures, leading.

"Let's go."

Mossdeep's air is damp, briny, the steady crash of the waves against the island's shore audible from a distance. He leads them down the street to a club that's set into the ground, a staircase leading down to the unassuming doors.

"Our connections in the establishment have tipped us off that they're here tonight. There are two of them. We're going to want to lure them somewhere they can be taken care of without witnesses."

close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 21:38:47 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]"Will do," Plank replies simply, leaving her position at the windowsill as Gavin goes to exit the room. She falls into step behind him.

The air is refreshing to Plank in a way she imagines it's not to many others. The island smells so keenly like the sea and all the things adjacent to it she loves. The salt in the air, the lingering smell of the not-far-off beaches, the chill that accompanies being so close to water. Her shoulders she didn't know she was tensing release and she can't hold back the gentle sigh that slips from between her lips.

It's a shame she has to leave it so soon. As they descend into the ground the clean smell of the sea is replaced by the lingering scent of booze and vomit.

"Yeah, sure, I'll follow your lead," Plank replies, hoping she sounds more confident about this than she feels.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 9:54:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's nose wrinkles as the door opens to the stench of booze and sweat. He's never liked establishments like these. The smell reminds him of his early days in Rocket and, before that, of his childhood.

There's a bouncer just inside the door; whatever identification Gavin shows him seems to be enough for the man to overlook Plank entirely.

"Stay close," Gavin advises under his breath.

He leads them through the club to a quiet corner booth with a good view of the bar.

"You drink?" He's not looking at Plank, but rather idly scanning the room. "If you don't, fake it. You'll stand out less."

He catches the eye of the bartender and holds up a finger.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 20:51:35 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Plank and the bouncer spare each other short glances as they pass one another. She's got a face and a build that'll leave her producing ID long after she's actually legal, and they both seem to know it; but thanks to Gavin it doesn't come up.

She nods to nobody at Gavin's order. She doesn't feel the need to verbalize every agreement and it's not like she was going to do anything else but follow his heels.

They slip into a corner that smells a bit less awful than the rest of the club. It's impossible to escape the stench of a night out that drenches the place, but Gavin's managed to pick a spot perhaps less traveled. She wonders absentmindedly if that's intentional -- if this spot is kept low-traffic on purpose.

"Do I drink?" she echoes the question in a tone that makes her answer clear: 'Of course I fuckin' don't'. She thinks again about the interaction with the bouncer moments ago. It's not even an option for her until she has some damn good ID.

She plans to leave it there, but then she considers their mission. What they're going to be doing.

She thinks of her father and his habits. The way he'd mix himself something before a stressful job.

"Get me a whiskey ginger," she says simply, crossing her arms and leaning back into the booth.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 21:53:06 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
A relaxed posture and wandering gaze suggest a familiarity with the establishment, attention lingering in particular places. Dim lighting makes for poor facial recognition but he's been given a description of their targets' attire.

His gaze shifts back to Plank as she echoes him.

"You're Rocket. They don't care what you do if you're with me."

Underage drinking was the least of their crimes.

She requests a whiskey ginger; Gavin arches a brow. "You don't drink?"

Hell of a choice, but he doesn't question it further. He beckons the bartender with a hand, repeats the order. There's no need to specify his own. They arrive together — the liquid in her glass lighter than the amber of his own, both rattling with ice.

The bartender leaves them, and Gavin lifts his glass in a toast before knocking back half of it. Glass clunks against the table.

"One of them's up at the bar. Red shirt, jeans. Don't look too long."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 22:52:32 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]"Lucky me," Plank drawls. She wonders without direction how long it'll be before she can enjoy such privileges without being a bigger face's hanger-on.

"I don't drink," she finally verbalizes what was implied earlier, "but that don't mean I haven't seen people drink."

The statement ends where she leaves it. There's no desire to expand on what she means, this isn't a boat in Galar. She doesn't feel any kinship with the man sitting next to her -- nothing that would make her open up any more than strictly necessary.

When the drinks arrive Plank takes hers with some apprehension. Her fingers wrap around the small glass but she doesn't pull it to herself immediately. The cold sinks into her fingertips for a few moments as she just stares at it. Even Gavin's toast fails to spur her into action.

It's not until he speaks that she finally takes the plunge, lifting the glass's rim to her lips and tilting it delicately. Carefully.

She sips at the drink. It's not as bad as she expected. Maybe it's not as strong as what her father used to make himself. He always made drinking look so dramatic.

When Plank puts the drink back down on the table (a couple swallows emptier), she casually leans forward and looks off in the direction Gavin directed her to. The red of their target's shirt stands out like a sore thumb and doesn't do any favors for their complexion.

When they throw a furtive glance about the club Plank gets a peek at their face -- almost as red as their shirt, with the telltale flush alcohol brings after generous consumption.

"What now, then?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 23:15:19 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Best pace yourself, then. It'll hit slower than you expect."

A lesson he'd learned younger than her and much harder, scars on his forearm to remember it by. He'd never again been as drunk as he'd gotten that night.

In his peripheral, he sees their mark shift anxiously about. This particular booth had been chosen not only for its vantage point but also for the angle at which it was hidden from those sitting at the counter. For all he's on edge, the red-faced man does not spot those who've come to hunt him.

"He's alone; he shouldn't be. No sign of the other one."

He does another canvas of the room, to be sure, and confirms it with a nod.

"We can use that. Easier to make him cooperate if he's alone. How would you approach a jumpy man like that?"
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 0:09:45 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]The warning goes unanswered and unheeded. She takes a longer drink from the glass as she lets her eyes roam over the breadth of the club. It's suddenly clear that even if the cleanliness of the corner isn't intentional, the vantage it gives is.

Plank's eyes shift back to the anxious man when Gavin pulls attention to him again.

Her eyes turn to Gavin next. She fucking hates when he does this, she fucking hates the "how would you this" and "if it was you would you that". Why can't he just give orders. What does her input have to do with fucking anything?

"Uh, I dunno," she sighs, her exasperation at having been asked evident, "I would . . ."

She leans back into the plush seating of the booth and swirls the liquid in her glass. The sound of the ice rattling against the glass is nice. It was always her assumption people did this just to be annoying, or to fidget; but there is something to be said for the way keeping the action going in the background helps her structure her thoughts.

"Probably wait for 'im to make a move. Go t' the bathroom, slip out for a smoke. Harder for me t' do the first one 'cause, well, obviously."

She punctuates the "obviously" with a gesture from her hand. A waving over her everything.

"So I guess I'd wait for 'im t' step out for whatever reason. I could chat 'im up casually from there or do what needed doin' without makin' a scene."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 9:03:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
When had trained him, he'd forced Gavin to find the answers himself. Trusted him to, Gavin tells himself these days, but the end result had been the same: he'd been flying blind in many a mission, had faced the sting of failure and punishment as a result. It had made him stronger, he tells himself, but might it make her bitter instead?

He tries to help, then, in his own way, by making her think.

He's patient as she thinks, remains so as she puts those thoughts into words. His lip quirks at the gesture.

"You want to be a Beast, right?"

He'd told her, after all, that was his mentor.

"The Beasts are our muscle, our claws and teeth, but they've got to be able to sheath those claws. Lure their prey. You understand what I'm saying?" His gaze shifts to their target, making sure he hasn't moved, then back to Plank. "Think you can handle him? I'll stay close and intervene if needed."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 18:37:53 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Plank nods in answer to Gavin's question, waiting to see where he went with it.

She follows his gaze to the man, looking at him for the third time. One of her fingers drums against the side of her glass while she continues swirling the drink inside. The ice rattles noisily. She's spinning it harder than she was before.

"Are ya askin' if I can kill 'im on my own?" she asks.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 19:28:52 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
To another, the rattling of ice against glass might have seemed annoying. For Gavin, it fades into background noise, just another thing to vaguely focus the pattern of his thoughts.

Surprise registers in the tilt of his brow.

"No, I was only asking about luring him away. I'd kill him myself." But he seems to think, lips pressing together with purpose. "If you do want to train as a Beast, you may have to kill eventually. If you think you're up to it, then..."

He trails off, thoughts drifting to a dingy Slateport safehouse.

"But don't feel pressured, if you aren't ready."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
hum of anxiety [mission]
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 0:03:56 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]The ice quiets. The thoughts moving it and the anxiety accelerating it both slow with Gavin's correction to her expectations. Just luring him away. He seems jumpy already, like he'd be alright leaving, so maybe that won't be too hard. He probably just needs a prompt.

"Yeah, I can do that," she says resolutely, downing the rest of her drink in a single swallow before leaving the glass behind and going to cross the room. For a moment her legs feel weird, but she gets the hang of them before she can do anything embarrassing. Just a head rush from getting up so fast.

Then she's crossing the club floor, slipping between dancers and drunken conversation. When she hits the bar right next to the man in the red shirt she makes it look coincidental. He jumps, but when he looks at her she's not looking at him. Instead she's leaning over the bar.

"Hey, can I get another whiskey ginger?" she calls, voice peppy and sugary sweet. The bartender nods at her before reaching for some liquor off the shelf. While he does that she finally looks at the man beside her. A plastic smile splits her face.

"Do ya have any cigarettes?" she asks.