3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 19:25:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

When was the last time he’d come out here, not on business, but on—

He knew he had to move Suijin’s resting place somewhere—closer, nearer to where his sister had been interred. There had been a fuckton of paperwork involved, but he’d finally done it.

He didn’t know where their mother had been buried—all manner of searching through the records of all individuals interred across all the known burial grounds scattered across the region revealed no trace of one Abigail Anderson.

He had to wonder if his jackass of a dad had something to do with that.

Well, the important thing was—

Ah, shit.

“Ma fai rumore, sì—”

It really had been a while since he’d paid a visit, and instead of two candles as was his norm, this time he lit three, cupping his hand against the wind that threatened to extinguish the match he’d struck.

One for Léanne, one for Suijin, and one for…you, He thought as he set down the third candle slightly lower than the other two.

“…che non lo posso sopportare—”

Just—how long had it been since he’d last heard from the other? No trace at all, he’d—while not busy juggling all the shit that came with his position, he would scour obscure news channels and outlets for any trace, any sign of that bar owner—

“…questo silenzio innaturale tra me, e te.”

Fuck.

When was the last time Evan had left a message? Or at least left a sign, any sign that he was still alive?

In these uncertain times, no news was good news—or so they said.

open to anyone. quiet contemplation time. maybe. (the lyrics can be found here in case you’re curious what he’s singing to himself)

@ open
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
alone with all my illusions
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 12:27:52 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Pacing the grounds was a typical habit. He would pace the mountain daily. He made a mental note to go ralts hunting one day so he could get himself something that was dual type that could teleport. That way he could save on all the walking.

But this time around, something curious caught his attention.

Singing.

He turned then toward the sound and approached, but just enough to keep an eye open. When he saw the gravesite, he noted the blonde and wondered if this was the owner of the gravesite or if this was just a passing friend. He got a lot of both.

Not wanting to completely interrupt the moment, Sam simply watched. Seeing somebody lament what was lost wasn't something holy, but it did command it's own revereance, or so he had learned. And more importantly, people in mourning deserved respect. Something Sam understood all too well.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 19:27:59 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

One of the candles had almost gone out due to the gust of wind that shook the area, and he hissed a few seconds before approaching the three candles and retrieving the match box once again.

He rarely carried matchboxes anymore after switching over to a vape, however today was different.

Another gust of wind blew through the area—and extinguished all the candles.

“Oh, come on,” he groaned as he slid the match box open before lighting another one and cupping the flame against the wind before lighting the first candle once again.

It isn’t until he’s used up a second match (and lit the second candle) does he notice he’s no longer alone.

“You—you haven’t seen the other caretaker around here?” he inquired of the other man.

“Did something happen to them?”

thanks for joining me! uwu

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 19:44:39 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
There was only so much struggling Sam could watch somebody endure before he had to step in and offer his help. This time around, he simply walks over to block the wind so that the candles don't immediately go out upon being lit.

The only reason he had budged was because he had been asked a question, the universal sign that he could get a bit closer. He was still a respectful distance away though.

Sam liked to socially distance himself before it was a thing, given he wasn't trying to help somebody and needed to get into their personal space.

"The old caretaker simply retired. His back was getting progressively worse and if he kept hiking up the mountain then it was going to cause more damage. I've recently taken over for him, as a family favor. He helped my mother and I with the Pokémon Tower over in Kanto from time to time."
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 19:56:48 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Once the third candle was lit once more, he thought of building a little ‘barrier’ that would shade the candles from the ever-blowing wind that would wail through Mount Pyre from time to time.

Another thought was getting electronic candles, however there was also the very real possibility that they could get stolen when he wasn’t around or something.

And the fact that Mount Pyre didn’t look like it had the capacity to have electricity (there were next to no cables running through the place to provide power at least) so that was also out of the picture.

“Oh—” he began, blinking before realizing.

“It was about time he did, honestly. He’s so stubborn. Thank goodness he can finally rest his bad back,” he said as this time, the three candles stayed lit.

There was something else there, though.

“Kanto?” he inquired afterward.

He knew of what had happened to the region thanks to his Elite Four friend, and wondered just how much the other had seen.

“Hope you didn’t have a rough time back there before moving over here,” he added.

he gets curious

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 18:44:50 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Everybody had their own take on what Kanto was like when they were there. Sam couldn't speak for anybody but himself and he was particularly thankful that this man realized that and made the comment personal, not regional.

"I became accustomed to the chaos." The confession came out rather abruptly. But Sam always found himself more brutally honest than tactical when dealing socially.

"but for me personally, no, I suppose they weren't too rough. Things were just starting to finally die down. Though I see now it's simply because it all shifted its attention here."

Hoenn had become quite the busy and chaotic place itself in the last... what, four years?
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 20:53:53 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Things have been quiet here, at least until recently,” he mused quietly. Maybe he’d phrased his sentence earlier correctly, as he didn’t get an outburst.

Thank goodness for that, really.

“Hopefully that chaos leaves this place alone…” he added with a grave tone. “You, all by yourself, keeping an eye on the entire Mount Pyre. Was the Tower back in Kanto as large as this?”

One of the candles almost extinguished again with the wind, but thankfully it hung on. Now that he thought about it… no, wait, he couldn’t ask something like that right out of the gate.

After giving him enough time to answer, he wondered—could he have access…

Or maybe he should hold back on that question that was bothering him so much.

he gets curiouser

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2021 13:55:45 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"The media certainly spins a certain picture of the events."

It was his way of saying he invited the opinion of somebody who may have experienced it all. Or at least some of it. Regions were vast and the media coverage was vague. To have been personally involved and have an inside perspective of the events would be helpful.

To Sam's undying curiosity, anyway.

"The Pokemon Tower was just as many square feet, yes. Though admittedly Mt. Pyre has much more burial ground, since the mountain is so wide and the land is all under the caretaker's name."

Which was now his name. Talk about a bold move.

"Managing it myself has been daunting. And while I have Pokémon stationed here and there to help, with tags to show they are under the caretaker's charge, I still have to physically make my way around the grounds... I need to get something with teleport, make my life a bit more simple."
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 20:36:32 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“That it does. Sometimes the HNN spits out garbage, but there are also times it bares the facts for everyone to see,” he agreed.

Media really did have a fucked-up way of screwing with someone’s perception of how things really were around the region—mostly why he didn’t pay attention to the local news anymore, he had better places to get his information from.

“Haven’t you thought of getting other assistants, too? I mean, human assistants. The ol’ man was so stubborn he insisted on going at it for as long as he could. A lot of people offered to help him but he turned them all down,” he remembered with a bit of a smirk, remembering the times he would encounter the previous caretaker whenever he paid a visit.

“Also, yes, getting a companion that can Teleport is a good idea. Problem is you might need more than a couple, considering how large Pyre is and how many places you have to tend to,” he agreed at the thought.

:eyes:

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:21:09 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
The idea that he would need an army of pokémon that could learn teleport greatly amused Sam. To the point of him smiling about it. What an interesting venture that would be, but one he was now considering in full.

"The problem with human assistants is compensation. Mt. Pyre is more of a charity than it is an employment. I should send out a notice for volunteer workers, I suppose. But I fear they wouldn't take the job as seriously as I would like them to as volunteers."

Basically, can't fire somebody who isn't hired. Can't tell somebody that he doesn't like that they can't volunteer just because they seem shady.

"I'm also exceptionally picky about who I work with. Back in Kanto, my mother and I strived very hard to make the Pokémon Tower a safe zone for all. Not just the League, and not just Team Rocket."

It was blasphemy at times to say that he didn't take a side, or hold a loyalty to either very strongly. Truth was, his loyalty lied with himself more than anybody else.

"I would like Mt. Pyre to have that same stance. A place where all can come, free of loyalties and alliances, and simply be."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:37:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Maybe it was a good thing the other man didn’t hear about what had gone down so very recently on this very mountain, or what had happened there previously.

Truth be told, Mount Pyre seemed to be a magnet of the weird and strange—did spirits who could not pass on really linger around here so much to cause such a disturbance?

At the mention of keeping the place in what he considered as the ‘middle ground’ (which basically meant that the entire mountain would be a neutral zone), he wondered if the old man who was the previous caretaker had accomplished that—

Well, maybe not, but still.

“I’ll admit, it is kind of hard to keep a place as unaffiliated as possible, especially when there are two opposing factions trying to deal with their respective situations.”

And I wonder what would happen next, he thought to himself.

“In the end, though—when someone dies, they’re not on any side anymore, they’re just… there.”

He still couldn’t bring himself to ask the question that was nagging him in the back of his mind.

Not yet.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:42:16 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"Exactly."

People who pass on had a side, but in death all is one. Death. At least, that's what Sam believed. Perhaps he was wrong, but one's faction upon no longer living was then death. Though in life there were affiliations, so then did death have factions as well?

"It's a sobering thought, that's for sure."

Then he glanced at the blonde beside him, finally realizing that he hadn't made a proper introduction. To rectify that, he held out his hand for a handshake.

Oldschoool.

"Sam Carter."

@

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:59:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

While he’d had an encounter with something that was straight out of another region’s folk lore, he wondered how the other man—who now introduced himself as Sam—would take it.

What with the rate of so many Legendary Pokémon appearing one after another, and choosing human ‘representatives’ to champion them, well, it wasn’t unlikely that the other knew of the tales… but had he seen any of them with their own two eyes, he idly wondered.

“Lars. Lars Anderson,” he said in reply, returning the handshake.

Maybe—now.

“You mentioned you’re in charge now, correct? How far back did the records of the dead here that the old man left behind go? In terms of years. I—I’m trying to look for some information.”

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 0:42:42 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"Mmhm."

Sam's hummed answer to the question asked in regards to him being in charge or not. But then Lars asked him about how far back the records went and that had Sam nearly groaning.

"I honestly am not sure how far back they go altogether. I know there are mixed records. Some have dated back to when Hoenn was established, founding fathers graves, and others date back to just five years ago. It varies dependent upon grave, name, family, and if the records were requested to be sealed or not."

Now Sam was the curious one and he showed as much in how he turned his body to face Lars a bit more.

"Why? Need a record dug up?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
oramai [s]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 12:32:00 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Lars held back a groan.

Looks like this is going to be a bit of a problem… he thought, wondering if Sam would modernize the records or just leave them as they were—written on paper and sealed in envelopes somewhere.

Mount Pyre was pretty much one of the few places in Hoenn that had little to, if no access to electricity at all. Plus he wasn’t sure if Sam wanted to re-compile all the records himself…

“You could say that… I’ve looked everywhere and around all the other burial grounds and memorials around the region, but I can’t find any trace of where my… mother’s buried.”

Ugh, why did saying that out loud hurt so much.

“It’s a long story.”

oh dear here it comes