thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 16:57:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Familiar names settle comfortably in his thoughts.

"It'll be good to see them again."

He wonders if they'd missed him, or whether the conditioning that had kept them all at arms length in Kanto still held fast. He'd missed them — especially .

"I'd certainly hope you brought Tori along. Does Caldwell know his brother's in Hoenn? Still can't believe he managed to get away." This time, the growl in his tone is genuine. "I've no idea what that Pokemon was that busted through the wall but it didn't seem like it was working with the League. Their lucky break, I guess."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
HIDING FROM THE SUN, WAITING FOR THE NIGHT TO COME.
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 20:02:11 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"he will soon enough."

the growl is understood and reflected in the way his expression sours. caldwell had gotten away not once, but twice. he exhales, mind deciding to focus elsewhere.

it decides on comfort.

"tori's wanted to see you for a while now."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 20:13:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin acknowledges the shift in topic, pulling his arm tighter around Beckett as if to reassure without words.

"She was still a teenager, last I saw her." He shakes his head in quiet disbelief. "I've really been away from you all for too long."

For Rocket was his family, his home because of them.

He, too, shifts toward a rare comfort.

"Just means we'll have a lot of catching up to do. Bet she'll lose her mind when she meets Lugia."

She'd always admired strength, he remembers.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 14:22:22 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"you have."

far too long. he won't allow it this time.

he shifts closer into the comfort cillian provides.

"lugia makes me uncomfortable."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 14:26:04 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The admission does not surprise him. Many were uncomfortable with the shadowed legend's presence, especially those closest to Gavin. He remembers Marcel, Emma, wonders if Theo too thinks it wrong.

But he does not jump to conclusions as he once might have.

Instead, he fixes Theo with a curious look.

"Do you know why?"
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 14:29:52 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"it's power, likely. i've never seen anything like it before."

it would wipe his team without breaking a sweat, that much he knows. he had seen its powers firsthand — he knows what its capabilities, its potential, and it both excites and frightens him.

"i'll get used to it."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 14:39:45 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's curiosity softens with a smile into something like relief.

"Scared the shit out of me when I first met it, too. Shadow Pokemon are — really aggressive, usually. Only reason mine aren't anymore is because of Lugia, I think, but — it used to look at me like I was a bug it wanted to step on."

He shivers slightly at the memory of its malice. How they'd both known with intimate certainty that the beast ball was the only tether keeping its obedience to Gavin in check until the Blackout and Necrozma had changed things.

"I was worried it might be the corruption that made you uncomfortable."

His tone suggests I'm glad it's not.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 14:48:13 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]uncomfortable? he shakes his head.

"you know of my indifference towards pokemon."

he shrugs.

"they're tools. nothing more."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 14:55:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
In most cases, Gavin would agree — because it is what's been taught.

But the word tool makes his muscles tense, something Theo will no doubt feel with Gavin's arm draped around him.

All Pokemon exist for the glory of Team Rocket. Yet Lugia had saved his life. Had granted him a purpose beyond the shackles of his organization. Gavin thinks of Declan Walsh's words and clenches his jaw. By extension, that includes avatars too.

"Lugia is different. It is not a tool."

I am not a tool.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 15:01:44 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"lugia is a pokemon."

he feels the tension but something nags him to stand his ground even at the cost of isolation.

it's a heavy cost.

"or am i mistaken?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 15:08:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The warning in Gavin's tone is either unnoticed or unheeded.

Theo is a smart man. Gavin assumes the latter.

He does not yet retract his touch, but the calm note to his breathing shifts to forced rather than natural. Miasma swirls around his hands, but he doesn't notice.

"As I am its avatar, Lugia is my patron. I should certainly hope you don't view me as a tool, Beckett."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 15:15:03 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]beckett.

he shifts, moving away from his touch. he stands, miasma going unnoticed.

"as long as you don't bend to its will."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 15:23:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I do not."

Gavin remains seated, though his amber eyes burn as he looks up at Theo.

"But nor does it bend to mine. It is my partner, not my slave."

The windows rattle against a violent breeze.

"I bend to the will of Rocket. To Walsh. Does that make me nothing more than a tool? You don't treat me as such."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 16:24:48 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"in that context,"

he pauses, hesitating. but he knows his place.

"you are. as am i; to rocket, not walsh."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
checkup
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 16:57:18 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"To Rocket," Gavin repeats. "But not to you, right?"

He has long since come to terms with his place in Rocket. He is their dog, their tool, their sword and shield. He is whatever they need him to be. With Theo, he longs to be something more. Friend. Confidant. Partner.

"And Lugia is not a tool to me. It saved my life, Theo. It's protected me when no one else could and when it finally had the choice — it chose me."

Rain patters against the window panes, rivulets running down the glass.