thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 19:57:19 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He braces, again, but it wasn't for this.

His heart aches, but it's not only for himself. It's for Beckett, for all the little glimpses he's seen beneath the mask. How he's tried for his entire life to hide behind a wall of nothing but that the humanity buried deep still finds its way through.

Stay with me and you'll be safe.

"Says who, Beck?"
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
HIDING FROM THE SUN, WAITING FOR THE NIGHT TO COME.
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 20:06:54 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]something catches in his throat but he forces it out.

"you'll never be safe with me."

the walls close in, suffocating, and he deals with it the only way he knows how. he stands, turns towards the door, and leaves.

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 20:15:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Beckett turns to leave, as he always does.

"I won't be any safer without you."

There's a sharpness in his tone, but it's not anger. It's hurt.

"You're one of the only people I can trust anymore."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 20:20:40 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]something stops him in his tracks. he stops, lingering close to the door. his gaze remains elsewhere as he asks:

"what do you mean?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 20:27:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"They're turning on me. All of them. Even Chu-e—"

His breath shakes softly on the inhale.

He thinks of when the other underboss had confronted him in his office, how cold he'd been before their masks had inevitably fallen away. He thinks, too, of Oscar, of Emma and Rowan, of Plank.

"I'm scared, Theo. I thought I could trust them, but..."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 20:34:03 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]is this paranoia or something else entirely?

he sighs, allowing something akin to anger but not quite wash over his expression. it hardens as he walks back over.

"tell me what happened. start with choi."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 20:43:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He half expects Beckett to leave anyway; it takes a moment to readjust. Something in the hardness of Theo's expression, in the demand, reminds Gavin of Kanto.

It's reassuring in a way he's not sure he understands.

"It's — really complicated, with Chu-e," Gavin admits. "He's not been entirely himself, but—"

But that didn't change the reason Gavin was afraid.

"He came to me the other day, said they've started to go to him about me. That they're scared of me, that they think I'm going to be like Silas."

It's not exactly how Choi had worded it, but it's the fears Gavin had clung to.

close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 21:05:37 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"that's fucking stupid."

he almost spits his words out, disbelieved. a couple names fill his head and though he has his suspicions, he thinks it best to ask:

"who?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 21:11:13 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's eyes widen at the sharpness of Theo's tone, but he doesn't seem frightened so much as surprised by the firm conviction behind them.

His expression pinches at the question.

"I don't know. He wouldn't give me names."

It felt to Gavin like he wasn't trusted with the information. Like if he'd been given names he might've justified the fears of those who owned them.

"I've given everything for Rocket."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 8:12:47 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"you have."

they both have. they both would die for rocket if asked. it's what makes the bitter sting of betrayal so potent.

"i'll find out who."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 8:20:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's this feeling he clings to: to be trusted, protected, cared about.

He has climbed ever higher since they'd sent him to Hoenn, looked out for himself when no one else could. He didn't always need support, but he craved it. To know that he wasn't alone. That if Rocket turned on him, there would be those that mourned rather than celebrated.

"I trust you."

That's what it all comes down to, in the end. Trust.

"And when you do?"
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 8:35:02 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]this rocket isn't the same anymore. he knows this, and it's why he hesitates when questioned.

but he trusts cillian.

"i'll let you know."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 8:41:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's the answer he's looking for. Gavin's expression softens.

"Thank you, Theo."

There's weight behind the words that suggests such gratitude could be attributed to so much more than the incident in front of them. He owed Beckett everything.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,387 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 13:24:16 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"it's fine."

gratitude is shrugged off, discarded for familiarity in hopes of finding comfort. he lingers in the area for a moment, then asks:

"anything else?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
compromise
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 13:32:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
His stomach twists as the subject shifts to a familiar discomfort.

It's clear he struggles to find the words, lips parting without sound. There's frustration in the furrow of his brow. He is a man of confidence, of ambition, he should not be finding it so hard to express himself.

But hidden behind his layers of ice is something softer.

"I don't want any of this to come between us." It hurts to even say it; he wants to look away, but forces himself to hold his gaze. "I get it if I — presumed too much, went a little too deep. I don't regret it, Beck, but I would it if it meant losing you."

He does look away, involuntary, then forces his gaze back.

"I only just got you back."