thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 15:26:45 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
How did one define a crush?

It was smiling at them when they weren't looking, thinking of them when you're alone, the giddy swoop in your stomach when they looked at you a certain way. He'd never understood the concept of butterflies until Emma had—

The thought is a shard of glass beneath his ribs.

"How do you feel when you look at him?"

And, when he's almost certain it's Leon Chu-e was with,

"That's his boyfriend, I think. Or — whatever they are. They're seeing each other." His amber eyes are piercing on Jayden's. "Is that what hurts? Seeing him with someone else like that?"
close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
we'll never get free, lamb to the slaughter
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 15:43:58 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]
i should've known by now it was over

[attr="class","main"]
how does it feel when you look at him?

[break][break] it was a thought that had crossed jayden's mind on more than one occasion. of course, on his own, but also when people like asked him if he were single. he hadn't know, not at the time, what those emotions were.

[break][break] he barely knew now.

[break][break] at gavin's prompt, he thinks about what he feels when he looks at . admiration, pride, the glow of respecting someone that was superior to him.

[break][break] he thinks of the way he feels when looks at him — it stirs a feeling of something warm and fond and light. something quickly fluttering in his chest, nearly making him giddy at the thought.

[break][break] "like my heart's about to burst whenever i look at him."

[break][break] he swallows.

[break][break] "light — like —" he thinks of the way that he cares about his ghost pokemon, thinks of the way that he felt the shiver of anticipation when one of them passed through him in the tangled wood. "something is in my chest. warm." his gaze grows somewhat soft. "when he looks at me, i..." jayden looks away, a flush gathering on his cheeks.

[break][break] it's almost enough to make him forget the predicament that he's in.

[break][break] brings him right back.

[break][break] "boyfriend."

[break][break] even though he already knows it, hearing the word out loud is absolutely cutting. it's like something slashes against his chest, splintering his heart into even more shards of pieces. he thinks of the way chu-e had looked at him on that beach - soft, gentle, like he cared. he thinks of the way chu-e had held his hands during the festival, the flutter of butterflies in his chest when the other had folded the umbreon charm into his hand.

[break][break] he thinks of their date by the lakeside, of the luvdisc that he was given.

[break][break] "i — yes." once again, the tears spring to his cheeks, unbidden. he trembles. "why does it hurt gavin? i —" he swallows. "i'm confused."

[break][break] 'some say that giving someone a luvdisc is an expression of love, that you will be soulmates with that person.'

[break][break] he thinks of the flickering computer screen in his bedroom, the thump-thump feeling of his heart when he'd realized that's what had meant. or what he'd thought that meant.

[break][break] "he — he gave me a luvdisc."

[attr="class","flower"]

[newclass=".buryme"]width:500px; margin:0px auto; background:#2B2B2B; color:#eee; padding-bottom:10px; border:15px solid #232323; padding-bottom:25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme"] --accent:#4d18c2; --speech:#9d7bf3;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main i"]color:var(--speech);[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .top"]background:url(https://i.ibb.co/pzv6SSK/image.png); height:200px; padding:0px 60px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main"]font:11px roboto; margin:40px 40px 0px; text-align:justify; border-bottom:15px solid var(--accent); padding:10px 40px 40px; position:relative; z-index:5; text-transform:lowercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main b"]color:var(--accent); font:12px 'Poppins';font-weight:600; color:var(--speech)[/newclass]
[newclass=".flower"]position:absolute; z-index:-1; bottom:-50px; right:10px; background:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); height:550px; width:500px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .title"]font:bold 36px/30px 'Poppins'; font-weight:600; text-transform:uppercase; color:#000; width:200px; background:var(--accent); color:#fff; padding:40px 20px 30px 20px; margin-left:180px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main:first-line"]font:11px 'Poppins'; color:var(--speech); font-weight:600; letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Roboto|Montserrat|Roboto+Mono|Poppins:500,600,700|Quicksand]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 15:56:06 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Like my heart's about to burst whenever I look at him.

Gavin's own heart aches in response. It's how he'd felt whenever he watched Emma when she wasn't aware, that overwhelming fondness when he'd notice the little things about Theo that had once escaped him. Affection, warmth — eventually, love.

He understands, too, the bitter sting of rejection.

Were they seeing each other before?

He's thinking of how to broach the question when mentions the Luvdisc.

"Did you — think it meant something?"

Emma had gifted him the blue-furred Lycanroc he treasured to this day, had seemed surprised and affronted by his averse reaction to gifts. But he thinks, too, of how he'd given Theo fish to stock his aquarium upon finding out his hobby.

Then again, gifts could be between friends, too. He'd recently given a Lapras, and they weren't seeing either other.

Well, not like that.

close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 16:02:44 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]

[attr="class","main"]
it hadn't ever occurred to him that it didn't.

[break][break] jayden wasn't ordinarily in the practice of doubting others, especially when they were rockets who had appealed to him in good faith. sure, there had been moments in their past when he hadn't been able to trust — their relationship had been complicated, due to their initial interactions. but their times after that..

[break][break] it still brought a fondness to his chest whenever he thought about it.

[break][break] spending time with had once been something he'd looked forward to, a bright light in the darkness that seemed to overshadow his life.

[break][break] now? it seemed all like a darkness that he would never be able to escape from.

[break][break] his shuppet is somewhere lurking. the ghost types' form appears flickering a few feet away from where jayden and gavin stand, an apparition in the distance. his words come back full-force and biting:

[break][break] silly boy. did you really think that someone would ever love you?

[break][break] he did - he had. he'd been foolish.

[break][break] he swallows again, looking away. "i'd read on the internet that you gave luvdisc to people who were your soulmates."

[break][break] even now, it sounded pathetic.

[attr="class","flower"]

[newclass=".buryme"]width:500px; margin:0px auto; background:#2B2B2B; color:#eee; padding-bottom:10px; border:15px solid #232323; padding-bottom:25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .top"]background:url(https://i.ibb.co/pzv6SSK/image.png); height:200px; padding:0px 60px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main"]font:11px roboto; margin:40px 40px 0px; text-align:justify; border-bottom:15px solid var(--accent); padding:10px 40px 40px; position:relative; z-index:5; text-transform:lowercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main b"]color:var(--accent); font:12px 'Poppins';font-weight:600; color:var(--speech)[/newclass]
[newclass=".flower"]position:absolute; z-index:-1; bottom:-50px; right:10px; background:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); height:550px; width:500px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .title"]font:bold 36px/30px 'Poppins'; font-weight:600; text-transform:uppercase; color:#000; width:200px; background:var(--accent); color:#fff; padding:40px 20px 30px 20px; margin-left:180px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".buryme .main:first-line"]font:11px 'Poppins'; color:var(--speech); font-weight:600; letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 16:12:23 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Oh."

Had he researched the meaning of the gift after it had been given, or stumbled across the information? What had been the circumstances of the gifting?

These aren't the questions he asks.

Softly, Gavin speaks,

"I didn't know that. Do you know if Chu-e does?"
close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 16:16:53 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]

[attr="class","main"]
he swallows.

[break][break] "no. yes." he shakes his head, with a sigh. he rubs his palm against his cheek, just beneath his eyes. the tears have stopped, for now. "i don't know," he confesses honestly.

[break][break] he'd simply assumed that chu-e had known. there were so many things that the underboss simply knew that jayden didn't know — he'd thought this would've been one of them.

[break][break] but maybe it hadn't.

[break][break] because he's embarassed, jayden wants to change the topic. he takes a moment to look away, gathering his thoughts, before he looks back at gavin again. this time, his expression is not hurt or upset. it's curious — imploring.

[break][break] "is this how you felt with — her?"

[break][break] he'd heard the rumors.

[break][break] "not this —" he gestures uselessly, at himself, at the room. " i meant. before. when i'd asked you... what it meant."

[break][break]

[attr="class","flower"]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 17:00:05 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Oh, Jayden, why would you ask me about her?

It's not what he says. Gavin sighs, soft.

"I love her."

He thinks he always will.

"So... yes, that's how I felt."

Now, there's only pain when he catches a glimpse of her in passing. He's not approached her since; it's not his place to cross a bridge he'd set alight.
close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 17:03:58 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]

[attr="class","main"]
love.

[break][break] there it is — that word again. it had crossed his mind more than once, especially after reading that article on the computer screen. it had been something he'd been meaning to ask since even before his accident... back then, the context had been different.

[break][break] his fingers fumble against his knees. nervous.

[break][break] "how did you know?" his voice, too, is soft. "i mean — what is love.. like?"

[break][break] earlier, gavin had asked him that if he'd fancied chu-e. by now, he knew that to be the case. still, something stirred in his heart whenever he thought of — one that didn't seem settled by a mere crush.

[break][break] the way his heart had filled when he'd thought they could be soulmates.

[break][break] he would never forget it.

[break][break] nor would he forget the crash when he realized they would never be.

[attr="class","flower"]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 17:18:20 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"It's not really something I can put into words, Jay."

But for , he'll try.

It hurts so much to think of her now, to think past the pain to a time when she'd been part of his universe. But never the center — no, Gavin would always be the center of his own, the axis around which his purpose spun.

That, he thinks, had been part of the problem.

"I felt safer around her than anyone else. Comfortable?" As expected, no words feel right. "It's more than that, it's... I'd look at her and I'd just feel happier."

He doesn't cry, his eyes don't water, but the words stick in his throat.

He crosses over to the window and forces it open. It sticks, too, grating with disuse. He lights a smoke and takes a long, grounding pull.
close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 17:31:15 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]

[attr="class","main"]
jay.

[break][break] he flinches.

[break][break] it's a nickname that would've brought him a lot more pain than it did currently. it helped that it was gavin who said it — not anyone else.

[break][break] gavin had always been able to help clear out the memories that had been stained red by others. he thinks of his brother's snapping jaws, of a sneering red gaze, of teeth sunken into his arm. his fingers go up to reach his left arm, brushing against the small bite marks that were surely still there.

[break][break] but it's gavin— so he allows it.

[break][break] he nods slowly as the other explains the meaning of love to him. with each word that the underboss utters, the feeling of understanding and acknowledgement settles in his chest, beginning to stitch the piece of his heart back together that had been so suddenly shattered apart. it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt — just. just knowing, somehow, made it hurt less.

[break][break] it helps that - somehow - he feels like gavin understands him too.

[break][break] he watches as the other takes to the edge of the room, pulling a window open. a cold blast of air into his lungs, and jayden has himself rising too, albeit slower. he walks over to the window, staring down at the deep drop below.

[break][break] there's a lengthy silence that passes and then, softly.

[break][break] "was it just her...?"

[break][break] he wants to know... wants to know if it's possible for him to heal. for him to feel this way again about another person.

[break][break] right now, he's sure it's impossible but perhaps knows something he doesn't.
[attr="class","flower"]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 17:55:09 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The twist in his gut tells him to lie.

But when his gaze snaps to Jayden's, sharp, it softens at the agony he finds there.

"No."

close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 17:59:26 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]

[attr="class","main"]

teeth dig into his lip, hesitant.

[break][break] everything in him tells him not to ask. doesn't need to say anything, his sharpness only softened by the concern that he feels for him.

[break][break] the bond they share, unspoken, forged together by trauma.

[break][break] "no?"

[break][break] he asks anyway.

[attr="class","flower"]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 18:11:15 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He'd hoped it would be obvious, that he wouldn't have to spell it out.

"No," he repeats, patient. "There was someone—"

Before? After? It's both, in a way, confusing in its complexity.

"There was someone else."

It's telling in the softness of his tone, the words he uses. Was.
close tab

played by

milky

jayden
he/him
december 25
ballonlea, galar
bisexual
wyndon ceo
admin
awards
4,151 posts
jayden cross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @jayden
jayden cross
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 21:09:58 GMT
jayden cross Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","buryme"]
[attr="class","top"]
[attr="class","title"]

[attr="class","main"]

someone else? he blinks.

[break][break] jayden tries to hide the surprise on his face, and for someone who is generally so emotionless, he is unable to hide it. the surprise flickers across his face, like ripples across the water.

[break][break] violet eyes focus downwards, past the window that gavin had opened. below them is a pier, of which a few people are walking. they are just tiny apparitions in the distance, flickers of sight.

[break][break] he tries to wrack his brain for anyone other than that could have shared such a close relationship with his mentor, but no one comes to mind. then again, jayden had never been really looking.

[break][break] his voice is quiet as he speaks. gentle.

[break][break] "did you love them too?"

[break][break] he doesn't look at gavin, just the ground below.

[break][break] how far would it be to fall?

[break][break]

[attr="class","flower"]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
broken hearts club ❤ [s]
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2021 3:00:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
With words like claws, tears wounds open anew.

"I did," is soft, amended, "I do."

Because love didn't stop when the other party was unwilling to reciprocate. It didn't care that he'd fucked it up with Emma or that Theo couldn't give him what he'd wanted so desperately to fill the void of his own creation.

His hands tremble.

A deep, steadying breath. He loathes himself for the weakness, the vulnerability.

"We can only hope that it gets better. That there'll be someone else."

But Gavin is not hopeful, not at all.