awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2021 14:48:49 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Pretty much everything about Sam had always been rather unorthodox. Including the chain that seemed to be emerging where he brought his dragonair to every single gym battle.

This specific battle requested that Sam bring something that could fly, so here he was. Walking into the Fortree Gym with his dragonair hovering at his side. As he stood and signed himself in at the front desk, his dragonair looked around curiously. His bright eyes searched for things to look at while his wing like ears twitched around the room.

Sam set the pen down, finished signing in, and headed over with his dragonair to sit down and wait for their names to be called.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2021 15:08:52 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Claire was on her day off, so it was Ethan who had to summon Alexei. Although, there was going to be a slight delay because—

‘Yeah, he brought a Dragonair. Are you sure that can fly?’ he heard the receptionist’s skeptical voice over the comms line.

‘In Alola, apparently they do. I have yet to see how it can, though. I’ll be there as quick as I can.’

Five minutes later one of the doors off to the other side leading to the care center opened—revealing Alexei, who still had to use a crutch to get around. Blame the stupid doctors. Even they weren’t going to make him stop from attending to gym battles. It was part of his job after all.

“Hello,” he began. His eyebrows went up for a few moments because what were those markings all over—well, he couldn’t pry around that much could he?

“Sam, right? Let’s go,” he continued as he hobbled over for a hand shake before leading the other to the opposite door that led to the outdoor arena.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
alone with all my illusions
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2021 15:22:44 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"Sam Carter," Sam introduced himself and took the hand shake. "I'm the new caretaker of Mt. Pyre. A pleasure to finally meet you, Mr. Ivanov."

Introductions were a typical thing for Sam, so he fell into the introduction seamlessly and without much fuss. His nervous dragonair twirled around his feet and rested on the floor, glancing over Alexei and then moving his head toward the wound. It was a curious thing to see a human hobbling around. Usually when they were sick, they sat around.

Apparently this Ivanov was much like his own trainer, who refused to sit still long enough for most injuries he sustained to heal.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 17:49:38 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Once they were both outside, he closed the door with a silent click before pointing ahead.

“The aviaries are over there near the care center, while this part right over here is the—well, it’s the aerial arena,” he admitted sheepishly. “No fancy stands or anything, just perches for any Pokémon that would come by and watch. You’re bringing a Dragonair, right?”

He then reached for one of several chains he wore around his neck and was about to summon the rather sizable armada of Flying (and not-so-Flying) Pokémon he had with him, when he realized that Sam was bringing a Dragonair to the match.

“I hope you’re up for flying through any kind of weather,” he began as he reached for an extra pair of aviator goggles and handed them to the other man. “That’s what the entire thing’s about.”

A few moments after, the blindfold followed.

“See, it’s all about trust and flying straight into the unknown. You’ll be the eyes for your companion, and I’ll be doing the same. As for what I’ll be bringing along…”

A rumbling not too far away from where he stood was the giveaway that there was something—coming. Eventually, a Garchomp poked its head out of the dirt, before Alexei chuckled.

“They said in Alola, even Garchomp can fly. So this is going to be her first time too,” he laughed as the Garchomp emerged from the ground, shaking the dirt off before making a beeline towards where he stood.

Eventually he blindfolded the Garchomp as well, before looking skyward—and then laughing again.

“Hope you’re ready for things to get a little chilly. Try not to fly above the weather—and dispelling it isn’t a good idea either, you might get tossed back into the storm,” he added before getting on the Garchomp’s back.

“See you on the other side of the storm!”

With that, he flew off.

part 1: weather navigation! Hail storm with mighty Blizzards coming in! (1 / 5)

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 20:13:31 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
taking the blindfold offered, he put it upon his dragonair. he did panic at all. he was confident in sam. they'd gone through that contest together, after all. they could conquer anything, or so dragonair felt.

when the weather kicked up, sam moved a hand along his dragonair's neck, then watched as alexei took off. he mounted his dragonair and gave him a pat. the dragonair took off into the air, sam gripping tightly so he didn't plummet.

"safeguard!"

not only himself, but sam as well, was then shrouded in a veil of energy. that rainbow like energy, SAFEGUARD, was what would hopefully keep the elements from being too much to handle, hail included.

as they moved forward into the hail, sam nudged left and right, congratulated dragonair when needed, and thanked him whenever they avoided something or dragonair felt in need of encouragement.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 14:07:34 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The moment he entered the frigid weather, he snapped down the goggles and hunched down low.

Seeing as they were both flying with disadvantage (as they were both riding on Dragon-types through a Blizzard no less) the howling winds and falling chunks of ice made visibility almost zero.

“There—bank hard to the left,” he said as he guided the blindfolded Garchomp through the howling ice and snow. Turning sharply, the Garchomp very nearly flew straight into a falling cavalcade of chunks of ice.

‘Gee, are you guys trying to kill us both? That was an Avalanche I saw just now!’ he said over the small earpiece, to which there was a bark of laughter.

Not far behind him, he knew Sam was also traversing the drifts—and a powerful blast of cold air, coupled with a surge of snow thick enough to disorient, came soaring their way.

part 1: weather navigation! Hail storm with mighty Blizzards coming in! (2 / 5)

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 14:34:38 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
it was as they were flying through the blizzard that sam realized then he hadn't nicknamed his dragonair.

how he came to this conclusion was a bit silly. but really, he was just thinking that if this was the last time he was seen alive – as prompted by the most recent 'avalanche' like obstacle – that he'd not have named his pokémon. any of them. so he decided, no better place, right?

"dragonair, i'm thinking i'm going to name you colichis."

they fought against the wind. the dragonair gave a small whine, to approve of the name, before twisting his body. a beautiful DRAGON DANCE, which sam knew well enough to hold tight, and, to help in keeping the dragonair's movements fluid.

"colichis was a dragon who never rested, always vigilant in the tasks given in the stories i've read."

with a smile, he gave the dragonair a pet.

"fits you best."

a happy shrill was given from the dragonair as the boosts from that dragon dance helped it to overcome the tough snow. even with the elemental disadvantage.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 18:00:50 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Look, I know you want to use Sandstorm, but that’s cheating,” he hissed as a sudden crashing of large, spiked icicles came raining down dangerously close to where they were currently flying. “Not now—can you hold the urge in?” he asked, patting the Garchomp’s rough skin with his left hand.

The howling Hail storm continued to pick up in intensity, before the temperatures dropped even further—and a sudden crashing of even more large, dangerous icicles came raining down from somewhere.

‘Sorry boss,’ came Ethan’s familiar voice over the comms, ‘…but you did say make this as hard as possible for you and your challenger right? No hard feelings!’

“Haha, Ethan,” was all he could reply, tapping the ear piece once before careening dangerously close to another falling, large block of ice.

Not too far behind where Sam flew—the temperature dropped further. Icicles were coming in from above, and surprisingly below as well. Visibility was still there, albeit spotty at best.

However there was a shadow some distance away—a sign that they were flying the right path.

part 1: weather navigation! Spotty visibility and icicles coming in from above and below. (3 / 5)

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 20:21:27 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"we've danger above and below now, colichis. keep true, i'll direct otherwise."

with an encouraged call, the dragon trusted sam's movements. sam lead him up, then down, around spikes as they rose up from the ground and came down from above. one particular case, sam knew they didn't have time. so he brace himself by gripping his dragonair.

"dragon rush now!"

without hesitation the dragonair used DRAGON RUSH to blow through the threats in front of them, continuing forward. sam gave a chuckle and congratulated his dragonair with pets.

"well done colichis."

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2021 18:35:01 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Flying on a Garchomp’s back was very much different from the rest of his avians—for one thing, he had to be careful not to brush his hands a certain way due to how rough a Garchomp‘s skin was.

“I know it’s hard on you—we’re flying with disadvantage, after all. Don’t worry, we’ll be through this soon!” he said to the Land Shark Pokémon, who whined a bit at the wintry chill, but soldiered on.

Looking over his shoulder revealed that there was a shadow that was headed his way, and he knew he had to put some distance, and fast!

A sudden howling of Blizzard-force gale wins very nearly threw him off-course, however a barrel roll managed to save both of them as they flew closer to where the storm wasn’t as powerful anymore.

Back where Sam was flying—

This time, ice spikes from below would threaten to unseat him and his unusual mount as they passed through. The soft cackling of what could possibly be a Froslass could be heard echoing in the wind as well…

part 1: weather navigation! More icicles from below; this time larger ones. And possibly a Froslass cackling at everyone in the weather. (4 / 5)

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2021 12:45:48 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
there was a familiar chime in that cackle that sam assumed was just due to the species of whatever was causing all of the mischief.

moving his hand over the dragonair, he leaned down and held tight.

"do what you have to, i'll become as unhindering as i can aerodynamically, for your sake."

the dragonair gave sam an appreciative coo, flying and dipping through the air. the ice jutting up had caught the dragonair on the side, but he was quickly to recover, using a DRAGON DANCE to maneuver more easily around the obstacles that were presented.

"you sure you're alright?"

the dragonair had suffered a bit of damage, but nothing that would cause it to faint or lose itself within the storm winds. perhaps because he was too determined.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2021 16:56:08 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

And then—there it was.

The howling, battering winds were dying down as Alexei found the opposite side of the storm and flew straight out of it. Now he was busy brushing off the stray flecks of ice that had landed on the Garchomp’s rough skin.

‘So what do you want to do for the second half?’ he heard over the ear piece.

‘Sand,’ was all he said, chuckling softly as he continued to brush away stray ice flecks from the dual-type to relieve it of its discomfort. Surely the next weather would be much more forgiving for them…

Now, where was Sam?

part 1: weather navigation! waiting on the other side of the storm for Sam to emerge. (5 / 5)

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2021 13:55:49 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
the cold was moving away and sam found himself wrapped around his dragonair even as they landed gently. it was quite the feat, quite the storm, but they'd managed. he gave the dragonair a few pets as a congratulations but remained against the dragonair's skin. to keep him warm.

"what's next?"

it was sam's way of inviting the next challenge forward.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2021 20:12:33 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Hearing Sam’s voice made him turn around to see that the other had caught up to him after flying out of the contained blizzard.

“That,” was all he gestured, as the cold wind and snow fell away—only to be replaced by a buffeting Sandstorm. What made this even more—interesting—was the fact that there would be falling boulders within the grit.

“All you have to do is to catch me within the sandstorm, and you win the badge,” he continued as the Garchomp let out a cry of relief at the swirling grit.

“Catch me—if you can!

And off flew the Garchomp into the howling grit.

part 2: chase tag in the Sandstorm (1 / ?)

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
fight or flight? [ gym ]
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2021 19:03:13 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
if he could?

sam smirks, knowing good and well that he definitely can. he gives colichis a stroke on the neck and then gets onto his back.

"another safeguard, and use rain dance around us just to keep us as safe as you can."

the serpentine body takes off, into the sky. the dance exhibited is an excellent show, but it provides a cover from the harsh sands. the sand still hits, sticks to sam's body, moves between all the wrong crevasses and sinks into his clothes, but it is not as harsh of a thing as a bare sandstorm. because of his RAIN DANCE and the SAFE GUARD that begins to float around them, the sand storm isn't nearly as distracting as it could have been.

which gives sam just enough of an edge, while guiding his dragonair, to float above them. he looks to colichis and decides to take the chance. his next move is to let go of his dragonair, who looks at him in concern.

"aqua tail!"

sam rotates his body and the dragonair sees the plan. he twists his body, lashing his now extra powerful(thanks to rain dance) AQUA TAIL against sam's feet, which sam uses to bounce forward and wrap around alexei, attempting to 'tag' him... with a full body tackle.

sorry alexei. :grimacing: