twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 20:56:17 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

It was a brief reprieve from a long week. The tournament was winding down. The event with Groudon was winding down. He'd seen things that nobody could be privy to. Not even his guest.

But!! A look at the hanging clock on the wall in the kitchen made it clear that she'd be there any minute now. Having put the last of some dried chanterelles over a mushroom risotto in a slow-cooker, he stepped out into the living room. It was a small house, but it had two bedrooms and a bathroom. He stepped to the front door, swinging it open to meet her.

"Oh! Welcome! I... it's quite the mess, I've been busier than I'd care to admit." He said, looking back to the living room, with its two couches, small TV, and fireplace. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this."

The Ivysaur he'd grabbed just to wrangle his Espurr did just that, keeping the restless cat climbing all over his black and violet cotton pajamas, and not making a mess of the blackout curtains in the middle of the summer. He didn't seem fazed by this.

“Dinner's pretty much ready, you can grab a bowl whenever you'd like.”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 2:12:30 GMT
Deleted Avatar
 it was certainly not an every day occurrence, being invited to a boy's house. Alice tried to fix herself up best as possible, wrapping a yellow bandana around her head to keep her bangs out of her eyes. the simple sundress had a nice snow-flower pattern to it with a blue background. they matched her white sandals.

"hi -" she managed to say after knocking, seeing Giona in his pajamas of all things. an Espurr and Ivysaur seemed to be climbing all over him. her cheeks turned slightly pink, wondering if she was overdressed. "ah, that's okay." Alice says instead, waving it off. in her arms were some store-bought treats. she didn't have the cash on her to make from scratch.

she had to bring something, right? "since you were cooking, I brought some dessert" she tries to smile "I... I didn't know what you liked, so I brought a variety of treats." rice squares, cupcakes, cookies... even a marzipan or two.

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 3:08:27 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

His hair was strewn around. The normally blended white and charcoal grey hues were separate strands, all pushed down from what was probably wrangling the cat. His eyes lit up, watching her greet him. In a sundress, bearing a gift, no less. Giona bent his arm to catch the cat sliding down his shoulder. He tucked Espurr under one arm like a football, and led her into his home with a knowing nod.

Giona walked to the kitchen, and dug two bowls out. He set a spoon in each, and scooped out a mix of mushrooms, rice, onions, and italian sausage into each. He walked back to the living room, setting both on a low-sitting coffee-table next to the couch. If she joined him, she’d find that it had the texture of a wool flannel shirt, and the softness of a pillow.

"Oh! You didn’t have to do that. It would’ve been enough of a gift to have you in my home." He said, sitting down on the couch with his back straight. "Nonetheless, I trust you to have atleast brought something you’d eat too."

The room was minimal, casting painted white walls against dark wood colors and textures, occasionally broken up by a black throw-rug. The television already seemed to be playing a narrated nature documentary about the humble Pikipek. Ivysaur sat next to Giona on a black rug, and rolled onto its side like a dog. Giona lowered the volume enough for the two to hear eachother, and turned closed captioning on.

“So, have you been to this town before?”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2021 0:21:55 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Alice would follow, glancing around curiously. she had a whole Ranger cabin to herself outside of Lilycove. she'd never been in a house that someone actually owned. her mentor had rented it from Ranger HQ, his base of work, but she had acquired it in the man's will. paying off the rent let her 'own' it, but the money from the will had dried up quick. she was left with nearly nothing.

hence why she worked a lot.

the young woman would sit next to Giona, eyeing the mushroom based dish. luckily she really did love mushrooms - it was a good choice! "I bet you have a lot of company" she smiles kindly "the food smells delicious and it looks nicely prepared - lots of people would love to come over and try it out." though her cheeks did tint pink at his statement.

"I did though; I... I love trying lots of sweets. I have a sweet tooth, you can say" she laughs lightly, knowing whenever she did spend she always bought treats "but no - I haven't been this far into Hoenn. I mostly stick near Lilycove. it was embarrassing how long it took to find your house."

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2021 20:27:08 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

His finances were... a mess. One of the few rockets who openly paid taxes, and parked his money in a savings account not owned by the company. Ontop of that, he got an advance on his Gym Leader stipend to make moving to his new home easier. They really treated this city slicker like a king in this mining town.

She blushed as he spoke, and that seemed to egg him on. The cat he'd wrangled seemed to finally calm down, which he dutifully put on the arm-rest of the wool-covered couch next to him. He eyed her up and down, and smiled gently, in between bites.

"I have friends from work coming by a week from now. I suppose I'll cook for them too." He said, sitting down on the couch with his back straight. "But enough about me... What have you been up to?"

The coffee-colored curtains lining every window seemed to glow, but they left the room dark. It was either that, or the harsh summer's day causing the wooden floor to swell and splinter. They seemed specifically designed to block out the sun.

“Oh, that's a shame. I suppose I should've given instructions too, with the address. If you ever need to stay on this side of the country, you can take the other of the two bedrooms here.”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2021 1:21:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar
shoveling the food daintily into her mouth, she grins at the taste. it is a lovely blend of various ingredients. but Alice isn't one to be a glutton, so she is polite in her portions. "work?" she hadn't been able to catch lots of the news lately, unaware he was now a Gym Leader "anything important?" and she also remained unaware he was in Rocket.

considering his question, she chuckles once she swallowed another portion. "I've been doing a few jobs lately" Alice informs Giona "fighting off pirates who stole some Exeggutor with a Ranger was one of them. I felt like the help; she was so amazing with commanding her Pokémon." Kaida... she wondered how the woman was right now. she didn't seem very social.

"I have leagues to go" but she didn't mind "when I'm reading I'll take the Gym challenge. not gunning for the Elite Four though; I'd be happy with just a badge or two." she waved off his apology though, smiling. it really was her fault for not entering the GPS into her Rotom Phone. Giona really was a nice person, offering a spare room to someone he barely knew.

"thank you" she adds "it's better than spending precious money on motels. and more hygienic too."

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2021 2:16:54 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

There was something unavoidably dainty about her. He was a city slicker, as much of a pod-man watching his programs and delaying the inevitable as the rest. But he... felt masculine around her. Then, her question came. "Oh... I was able to afford this thanks to... my new job as a gym leader. League council expanded the gym challenge to ten."

It was either that, or open up about being in Rocket. Doing poaching and racketeering. Doing those things while living in a cramped bunker, of all things. The fact that he had so many outings into the civilian world was what saved him from being sheltered. He let silence hang in the air, as he finished eating, and walked his bowl directly to a dishwashing unit installed under the kitchen counter.

"Yeah... It's an interesting feeling to have, right?" He said as he returned to the couch, eyes lighting up. It made him think about his hike with Remiel that turned into investigating a disturbance at Mount Pyre. "That's interesting. Do you know this ranger's name?"

He then saw fit to go out on a limb again. To calm his nerves he feigned interest in Ivysaur. In scratching the belly of the toad that laid on its side like a dog.

"You know... You can even stay over tonight, if you feel like it. You'd be able to fly home when the sun's out, and not risk contending with whatever's out in the night sky.”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2021 23:17:42 GMT
Deleted Avatar
really? Alice couldn't contain her surprise - and happiness for him. "oh, that's wonderful, Giona" she beams "congratulations!" he must be quite a strong trainer to have secured a spot. many people had aspirations for Gym Leading. not many the League would trust with such a responsibility. it just goes to show he was humble; he didn't brag about it. that was good. she didn't like people who did that. it was... a big turn-off.

"if you need any help with Gym stuff, I'm always around" true, a Ranger duties was different than a Gym Leader's duties but "I have... some experience with paperwork and cleaning." Rustboro... did it have a gym before? she couldn't recall. then again, she was still quite new to Hoenn. newer to the news that they gave out too. she hadn't bothered to really focus before on the News Network. maybe she should now that she had been mentioned.

"ah, yeah. her name is Kaida" Alice begins again "I think she's an experienced one, but not big on talking" or smiling for that matter "which is okay. the work was more important at the time" she shrugs it off easily. when Giona offered her the bedroom, she turned pink. calm down, girl. separate rooms, he meant. separate rooms! "I don't actually fly anywhere" she replies truthfully "I take local transport... not a lot of water or ice types that can fly." she chuckles lightly.

but, he did need an answer. she doubted the buses would stop running but, he was being so sweet about it... "sure" why not? "it'd be nice to sleep on a bed for once..." instead of a sleeping bag on the ground. yep, she had to save up for a bed still. when you're a Rangers' apprentice, you do a lot of field work. can't lug a bed everywhere in the wild.

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Jul 31, 2021 23:36:58 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

It almost felt like a lie. Almost. Truth be told, the League could simply be paid for the position. That, and he submitted a cover letter noting how close the Rustboro gym could be to the trainer school. "Thanks. It takes a while to get anything done, but my last job as a line cook was way too fast."

The ranger being terse wasn't a surprise, but he didn't turn his nose up at it. Kaida seemed like someone who knew when to mind their own business, for one. He smiled, and nodded as she spoke of them.

"Yeah... It would've been different if they didn't have their priorities in order." He said, before seemingly spacing out for a second. Thinking all the near-misses he had, the carelessness to not just cycle out his old Rocket pokeballs. The League officials, ranger or otherwise, who probably knew and looked the other way. He'd play along even if it was a sting operation, just for the chance to talk to her. The documentary narrator mentions Unova's White Forest, a habitat of wildly fluctuating size and visitor volume per capita.

He then exchanged a glance with her, just quickly enough to watch her turn pink briefly. A corner of his mouth went up, but he suppressed a smirk. "Oh. I'm glad that worked out."

"For once? Oh, you poor thing. Just know that if you're ever in the area, you can rest here.”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2021 23:36:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar
a line cook? "that explains why this food is so good" she giggles, placing her empty bowl on the table. the talk went back to sleeping arrangements pretty fast, Giona remarking she was a 'poor thing'. instead of being offended, she laughs "I survive just fine" she waves off any bad feelings she might have about her own situation in favor of making him feel better "I have a sleeping bag."

maybe that warranted a better explanation. "m-my friend, who died... well I told you he was a Ranger. there was a lot of nights where I slept under the open sky" Alice's eyes glossed over briefly before shaking herself free of memory "he was a second father to me, or maybe even a big brother... I do admit now that he's gone, living isn't easy." he always paid for the electricity, the water...

"but - thank you, Giona. it helps to know that someone's got my back."

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Aug 5, 2021 18:39:24 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

He'd spoken like that to push her buttons. It was a long-lasting trend. Early on, he'd assumed that was drunk, and decided he'd rather deal with someone who was mad at him than someone who was checked out altogether. Wasn't a wise call to make, but in his own weird, combative way... he had principles. "Well, okay. I'm sure it's different out in the field."

He feigned interest in the documentary for another minute, while trying to pull the hair out of his face. To try and regain a sense of control at nobody's expense in particular. He then looked back to Alice, putting on a gentle smile as she continued.

"As hard as that is... I'm sure it must've been beautiful to see all the stars. To see the dark blues of the sky, without the big city air pollution." He said, before going oddly quiet. He bit his tongue behind his lips. This was just like when Jayden questioned him skipping stones across the sea. When he had to appeal to nature, because his own aesthetic preferences weren't even worth talking about.

He then nodded, as she brought up what it was like to lose him. He swallowed a lump in his throat, thinking about something similar. "Oh... That's... yeah. When I had to move out, I lived with my older brothers for a while. I can't imagine the kind of pain you're going through, losing someone that close."

"It means a lot that you'd trust me like that. It just makes me wonder... Do you get along with that community of Rangers?”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2021 4:55:12 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"it helps to have friends" Alice would reply gently, casting a glance at the television "for a long time, the Rangers were my whole world. I didn't bother getting close to anyone else, because I thought I had it all figured out." work and more work. she felt like she had to repay the man who saved her life years prior.

the young woman smiles sheepishly. "I was mad at the Rangers for... I dunno. I guess I was mad they didn't make a big deal about my friend's death. there was a small funeral they paid for, but nobody really showed up. it wasn't a thing like the others who lost their lives at the three day war. more important people."

she shrugs idly. "I guess, I'm still processing that hurt... I help the Rangers with jobs sometimes, but other than that? I tend to keep to myself" it was the truth, and Giona deserved it "they don't seem to remember me as an apprentice, so I don't remind them." those that did were a bit awkward around Alice. like they didn't know what to say.

"work and friendship are different" she adds, glancing back at Giona "some people are doing a job. they're friendly enough to you, but you never see them again after that. real friends stick around. they help you out. you help them out. that's why I trust you. you don't know me but you're offering a roof over my head. food. so..." she turns pink again, chuckling.

"that's why I appreciate you."

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2021 5:59:07 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

He'd found himself relating to her more and more. He hadn’t any deaths in his community that he could remember, but his world was incredibly dense, and pulled everything into it. It was all for Rocket. got a council seat for Rocket. The man who mentored him became a pariah for Rocket. He’d even pulled others into his orbit, too. He couldn’t express all of this to her. With a gentle smile and a hand slowly curling over hers, he offered what of it mattered. "I’ve been... consumed by my work, and my life around it too. Thank you for letting me escape."

Even then, that felt selfish. Needy, too. She went out of her way to visit him, and he didn’t do much, save for make dinner. The least he could do was get a word in to reassure her. “That’s frustrating. I don’t think your friend was any less important to them. They must’ve... wanted there to be closure after the war ended.”

"As hard as that is... they could reach out to you whenever they have time to. I’m sure that other people in your line of work have lost people before. My friends at work are... weird like me, but you’re welcome to join us, the next time we get together." He said, before going oddly quiet. He tried and failed to steer the conversation back to what they did for eachother. Nonetheless, it was this passion of hers and the fact that they weren’t just talking past eachother that felt so refreshing. That put a smile on his face.

He then nodded, as she brought them full circle. Having been reserved before, he tried to sit a little closer, as if he was peering into her eyes. "There’s a difference between people who make time for you, and people who don’t, even when they’re able to. You’ve noticed it by now. I’m sure that... they have lives outside of work too."

"And again, it means a lot that you... went out of your way to be here with me.”
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2021 18:30:21 GMT
Deleted Avatar
his hand found her own. Alice glanced down at it, but did not move her head so much. her eyes only before they lifted back to Giona's face. he thanked her. she... didn't know what she did to be thanked, but she smiles regardless. it is a weary, torn smile but happy regardless. "of course" she says simply.

she wanted to be smooth. to say something clever and witty, but... she was not that type of person. "it'd be nice to meet your friends" Giona didn't seem the type to haplessly include people. he seemed selective with good friends, but was friendly toward everyone. kind to everyone. Alice was the same way, even if she was terribly solemn these days.

she wondered what they were like, his friends.

as she ponders this, she's still aware of his hand in her own. "I guess I was so far in my own little world" Alice admits softly "I didn't reach out either. it's not just their fault. it's mine too." which was the first time she ever admitted such a thing. consumed by her frustrations and annoyance at the Rangers, at other people... the young man beside her offered a listening ear.

"you're a good person, Giona" she adds to his words with a more genuine smile "why wouldn't I come visit you?"

close tab

played by

planetofthevapes

catello casimiro
he him
twenty-four
june 20th
Mauville City
ask him
rocket member
executive
125 height
125 height
awards
342 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jonah
giona ferrara
oh! it's you!
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2021 0:27:40 GMT
giona ferrara Avatar

His hand found hers, but upon a non-reaction to it, he slowly pulled his hand away, sheepishly. Slightly embarrassed. Furthermore, she indulged him with a weary smile. One that reflected patience. His face went beet-red. "..."

However she felt about her own ability to communicate, he had a similar emotional blockage. It was like he just had a subconscious thing getting in the way. When he hit on his male co-workers, he did so in a way that was either incredibly passive or easy to brush off as a joke. Either way, he found himself incapable of relating his emotional needs to others. “...Yeah. They're all more outgoing, and sometimes have to drag me away from work.”
An understatement, but he couldn't fully cop to being where he was in Rocket because he was a gifted ass-kisser and teacher's pet.

"Right. Well, given the circumstances, I don't blame you for needing to be alone. I'm sure that in time, you'll be able to... find out who your friends are, in that community." He said, turning to face her with his body a little more. The collar of his pajamas parted just enough to show his collarbone and neck. What he'd said in his conversation with King rung true; the average person was an animal, were it not for having a person's social graces. He wanted to be her dog.

He then nodded, and paused to regain his composure. Still red, he looked to her, but had to distance himself from it. "I don't know. I guess... everyone else I know is consumed by work right now too."

"Either way, thanks. When we first, you were concerned about scaring me away, but I think I needed you here.”