thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 9:18:23 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
the transition from elite to captain has been more jarring than he expected. so used to being out in the field at days at a time, he's not used to sitting around in an office and doing things that he once considered mundane — like paperwork, for example.

but he's adjusting the best he can.

the only thing on his agenda this morning is to welcome a new recruit into his team. it's nothing he hasn't done before and so he doesn't think anything much of it.

for now, he sits in his office, impatiently waiting.
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
I can and I will. Watch me.
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 15:37:44 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
So, this is it.

No backing down now.

Not like she would back down, with how much thought she put into this before deciding to sign up. But, she still gets to be nervous, and how couldn’t she be, when it’s all so new and different from most things she’s done in the past? It’s kind of exciting, and because of that, it’s with a deep breath that she steps forward towards the office of Lilycove’s ranger captain.

Lilycove. The city she moved to after one too many things because associated with Rustboro. Back when she thought she just needed a change of pace. Back when she didn’t know her whole life was changing…

The office’s door is open, but she still knocks gently out of mere courtesy in order to announce her presence.

”Good morning, I–”

There's a pause the moment she enters, because the man sitting before her is one she can recognize without a problem. It had all been recent, after all, and the memories come rushing back the second she sees him.

”...Lance.”

Pink hues paint her cheeks, and her voice is almost a whisper.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 16:00:36 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
when knocks eventually sound at his door, he breathes a sigh of relief as he drags his gaze away from the window.

finally.

he swivels in his chair, turning to meet a familiar face. it's one he's not quite expecting to see, especially not here of all places. and so, for a brief moment, he's unsure of how to respond.

but that soon passes.

"...lia."

clearing his throat, he sweeps his feet off the table only to stand up, approaching with a bare smile.

"are you the new cadet?"
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 16:25:04 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
”Lance.”

She repeats herself when he steps closer, this time not as quiet. Almost as if to confirm it’s actually him.

He’s the ranger captain in Lilycove? Seriously?

How the fuck had she signed up without knowing who the captain was?

No, she had seen his name before, but she simply hadn’t made the connection when meeting him at Lavaridge. Their professions were never something they discussed, after all. They didn’t really discuss much at all…

”I am, yeah.”

After a few long seconds and a sigh, she offers a smile as well. Her cheeks remain a little flushed and she tilts her head slightly when looking up at him. Was he always this tall? No, it’s probably that she was wearing heels the last time they met, wasn't she?

”I didn’t know you were a ranger.”

Much less in Lilycove, of all places.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 17:17:36 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
no, they really didn't discuss much at all. how could they? they were too busy relaxing.

her answer doesn't soothe him, not in the slightest. so, with a sigh, he accepts that there's no way out of this and that the best thing to do moving forward is to simply act professionally. it's difficult, however, when he finds the flushing of her cheeks really cute.

"i'm actually your captain, too."

this time, his smile's more of a grin.

"ready to start, then?"
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 17:58:52 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
Can they act professionally? Lia tells herself they should, but it’s hard to think professionally when looking at him comes with the memory of the things they did back at Lavaridge. Definitely not the sort of things she’d choose to do with her boss. Fate is pretty damn cruel.

”You are, yeah.”

A soft and short chuckle, for she’s still in slight disbelief of this fact. But, she knows Lance is right, and that she needs to start treating him like her captain.

Lance…

”Would you rather I call you that, then?”

Captain Vollans.

It has a nice ring to it.

”Yeah… I’m ready.”

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 18:49:11 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
it's funny how the world works at times. it certainly can be cruel, but in this case? he's not entirely too sure yet.

but he'll find out.

"i'm not too picky about it but most call me captain or cap."

with a grin still prominent on his features, he nods, stepping past her and out of the door.

"come on, cadet."

and out to the field they go only to be greeted by a sandaconda, coiled and seemingly ready to strike. its tail rattles as it glares at the two rangers, though it remains at ease for now, perhaps trained to a certain extent.

"so, why did you become a ranger?"
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 19:15:12 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
”Hmm… Captain, then.”

That’ll take some getting used to, but probably not much, considering they hadn’t spent much time together to begin with – regardless of the things they did with that time. Once more, Lia reminds herself not to think about that.

Cadet.

Is that what he’ll call now? There’s nothing personal about it, and maybe that’s for the best...

She follows, and once outside, they’re greeted by a Sandaconda that rattles its tail. She watches it while considering what answer to give.

”Because Hoenn needs rangers.”

With a slight shrug, Lia turns to give him a faint smirk. That’s not all there is to it, but why would she share every detail with him? Maybe someday, maybe later, but not yet.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 19:23:53 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
there's nothing personal about cadet but who knows how long that'll last?

"that's a vague answer, lia."

not long, apparently, but who can blame him? there's a faint smirk on his face as well, though it's not playful, at least not in the same way it had been in lavaridge.

"what makes you think you'll be a good ranger?"
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2021 20:06:23 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
Lia is not a cruel person, nor is she mean, and the truth is that she has come to like Lance enough not to tell him how incompetent she thinks rangers have been with handling the threats that haunt their region.

Has he been incompetent as well? There’s the memory of all those scars, and she once again wonders what kind of things he has done to end up like that.

Is it because he’s a ranger?

Of course, she doesn’t ask, instead allowing the smirk to linger at her lips. Not playful. Not like at Lavaridge.

Lia. Not Cadet anymore, huh?

”It’s not a lie, though.”

Still, she knows he deserves more than that, especially being that he’s her captain. So, she sighs and meets his gaze, staring at him.

”I’m not self-centered enough to brag about my skill set. I just know I’m good at things once I set my mind to it, and I didn’t decide to do this on a whim.”

It definitely was no whim.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2021 9:52:19 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
there's no need for lia to tell him how incompetent the rangers are because he knows. he's seen it, experienced it, and it's what he aims to improve even if it's difficult with all the other captains in play.

so he'll start with lilycove.

he returns her stare, voice level as he responds.

"i don't need you to brag. i just need to know what you're good at."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2021 10:42:41 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
’I just need to know what you're good at.’

What is she good at?

A mind filled to the brim with knowledge of the past, a handful of languages that she can speak perfectly, a prowess at games of logic and strategy… What good do any of those things do when being a ranger?

In reality, she may only have a couple of skills that are useful, and a few more than need to be developed.

She knows this, and yet, she simply stares at him.

Under different circumstances, she’d playfully tease him for a comment like that one, but now?

”Hmm... I’m not here because I think that pokémon like me and that I can help all of them, so I’m sorry if that’s what you wanted to hear.” Now her tone is serious, and the smirk has disappeared. Still, she shrugs, truly never being one to brag about her own abilities. ”I have practiced archery since I was in junior high and I’m pretty decent in a pokémon battle, among other things. That's about it.”

Of course, Lia wouldn't bother with mentioning things if she didn't think she were actually good at them, but Lance wouldn't know this.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2021 12:18:18 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
it's not what he wanted to hear, but he lets it pass without commenting on it. he only asked to see where best she'd fit in the team, and based on her answer, he still has little idea. but it's only the first day, so they'll have plenty of time.

"i'm guessing you're a pretty decent shot."

unless she's still practicing because she's rubbish at the sport, but he doubts it.

"an essential skill all rangers should know is how to tame a wild pokemon without using..."

he pulls out a pokeball, popping it open to reveal absolutely nothing.

"...pokeballs. it's a pain to catch and release, so it's often better to just sedate them enough."

at that, the sandaconda rattles once again, rearing to strike.

"you're up, lia."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2021 13:36:43 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
For a second, she looks at him, simply considering things.

And then, once that second is over, there’s a smirk, perhaps with the slightest hint of playfulness to it.

”I might be. Maybe I’ll show you sometime.”

She knows she probably should be acting more professional with him, but it’s a struggle when he’s still calling her by her name. Maybe he really should have stuck with ‘cadet’. Maybe then she wouldn’t feel such an urge to tease him and flirt to distract herself from questions that annoy her…

Still, the smirk fades away when her attention turns to the empty pokéball, and it’s instead replaced by quirked brows – her gaze falling on the Sandaconda while listening to Lance’s instructions.

”That makes sense… I’m guessing the quickest way to do that is probably something like putting them to sleep, huh? But, if you wanna sedate it...”

Without bothering to finish her sentence, she reaches into her pocket for two pokéballs. Out of the first comes a Comfey, and out of the second a Bounsweet.

”Lei, SWEET SCENT. Sweet, PLAY NICE.”

A Comfey’s fragrance is soothing by nature, and when combined with SWEET SCENT it can also result to be alluring and distracting. PLAY NICE, on the other hand, is a choice she makes because Sweet has always been a friendly pokémon, and when using such a move, it can deter even wild pokémon from attacking her because they’re too busy making friends with her.

Lia may not have many skills that make a good ranger, but she knows her own pokémon well, and with the right approach, that can always have its uses.

The Comfey's floral fragrance spreads around them, and it really is a delightful scent.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
didya think
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2021 14:10:41 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
maybe he should be calling her by 'cadet' instead of her name even if he usually calls others on his squad by their names. their unique situation and past calls for it, but he's stubborn, headstrong, and adamant that they can remain professional.

her smirk tells him a different story, however.

soon enough, a delightful scent washes over them, flowing across the open field. sandaconda hisses for a brief moment before it slowly starts to lower back down to the ground, suddenly much calmer than it looked.

"good. now attempt to relocate it to the other end of the field."

he points across, then crosses his arms over his chest once again.