awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2021 16:14:31 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessica got a message saying that she was assigned a task. This task: help a Delibird traverse Mt. Chimney so it could deliver its gifts.

Okay, bet.

She loved the feeling of being relied on. It made her feel like she was an important asset, that her skills were being recognized. So, as she made her way to the bottom of the mountain, she hummed to herself, seeming way too excited for a potentially perilous mission. And perhaps dressed too cutely for it as well.

When she arrived, Jessica spotted the Delibird waiting there. She smiled, trying to give it a pat on the head. It gave a squawk.

"Okay, okay. No pats."

Then she spotted him. .

"Oh my gods. Hey there, snow boi!" she said, waving at him.

You know, not really realizing that the man that she had thrown snow balls at and played in the snow with was... her boss... in Rocket.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2021 10:29:45 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gifts. Sure. That's what the Delibird was carrying.

And to anyone that chanced a peek into its tail-sack, that's exactly what they'd find. Holiday gifts wrapped in colourful paper awaiting their recipients. Only those that thought to dig to the bottom would find the reason Rocket had gotten involved in such a delivery.

A blue-furred midnight Lycanroc keeps pace at Gavin's heels.

Snow boi? His brow arches.

In contrast to the light, airy demeanor he'd adopted outside the Weather Institute, Gavin-on-the-job is dour and sharp of gaze. He acknowledges her with a curt nod.

"Merlino," he corrects, then thinks of . "Gavin, if you'd prefer."

The Lycanroc prowls ahead, taking point; unlike its trainer, the threatening aura it exudes is far from subtle.

"Jessie," he says, after a pause, recalling that had called her as much. It could be an alias, so he clarifies, "Your name?"

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
dancin' down on sunset strip
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2021 2:32:20 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Gavin Merlino, he said. Personally, Jessie liked "snow boi" a lot more, since it was cuter. But, whatever.

Why did his name ring a couple of bells in her head, though? She wasn't exactly sure, not yet.

"Jessica Black. Jessie's fine too, though. Nice to meet you."

Her mouth was spread into a grin as she looked from Gavin to the Delibird. Her own Pokemon, a Delphox, stood not too far away from it, looking cross. Perhaps it was because of the scarf and little hat that Jessie had thrown on him, which she had made herself.

"Sorry about the ass whooping we gave you the other day. I suppose me and got a little excited."

She didn't look that apologetic though.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2021 20:08:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin nods as she confirms her name. "Likewise."

Her apology draws a low huff of air from his throat. "If you considered that a win, you've clearly never had a real snowball fight."

They got downright dirty in Galar, at least among his cousins and their friends. They'd sooner pelt you with chunks of ice than snow, and they didn't obey any courtesy rules such as avoiding shots to the face or other sensitive areas.

Really, Jessie and Eris had been tame.

Gavin's breath mists in the cooler air, wisps of black threading with white fog. "We're off, then. Have you been with Rocket long?"

Lycanroc lopes a few paces ahead of them, fur bristled along its rocky spine.

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Dec 17, 2021 3:51:41 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie laughed, shrugging as a hint of a blush tinted her cheeks.

"Honestly? No, I haven't. I came from Canalave City, and then I moved to Slateport, so my experience with snow is next to none," she admitted.

"I still had a lot of fun, though. Especially pegging a few times. Though he got me in the face really good."

Spoiled brat.

Keeping up with the underboss, she glanced over at him with curious eyes as he asked her about her history with Rocket.

"Actually, no, not really. I joined recently. My family, they're all apart of the league in some way, whether as a civilian or in the law enforcement. My dad..."

Jessie couldn't hide the scowl on her face.

"He just became a councilman. So you could call me the black sheep of the family."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2022 21:50:29 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Canalave," Gavin echoes. "Sinnoh, right?"

He's been to the region only once, and not to the city in question. Slateport he knows far better, having lived in the port city himself for a time until he'd saved up enough money for the house in Fallarbor.

"I spent summers in Galar and Kalos," he says. It's only a partial lie. He'd lived in Galar, spent summers in Kalos to get away from the snow rather than seek it out. But she didn't need to know that. "So snow's nothing new to me, but it's funny to see everyone in Hoenn lose their minds over it. It is weird, the weather we've been having."

He's lived in Hoenn for near half a decade, now; long enough to know snow isn't normal.

"Ah, you're one of those Blacks." A councilman's daughter? Fascinating. Useful, perhaps. But he makes a point not to eye her up like a choice cut of steak in Rocket's banquet. "You know, black Wooloo are rare and valuable. So you should think of that as a good thing."

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 21, 2022 4:19:44 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie nodded.

"The one and only. Ever been?"

She missed it. The sea breeze, the port that she'd visit every day when she left school to pick up a snack on the way back home. Sure, Hoenn was similar but... it wasn't home.

It'd never be home.

"Ha. So you're probably wondering what the fuss is about then? Well, for me, it's magical. It's something I've only seen on movies or on TV shows. Or maybe news reports of far away places like Galar. So to experience it was like a dream. It was different than I'd imagined it'd be though."

A lot wetter, even though Jessie knew it was frozen water. And harder. It really hurt when she got pegged in the face by a snow ball.

"Those Blacks. Yeah, I suppose so," she said with a scoff, though she'd rather not be associated with them.

There was no hiding her past. The Black name held too much weight.

"You think so? Like... I'm some sort of shiny individual I guess?" Jessie said, mostly as a joke.

However, she was also trying to convince herself that she was more than her name. Because it was always something she'd struggled with as a girl. And now.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 22, 2022 4:34:00 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"To Sinnoh, yes," he affirms. "Once. To Sunyshore."

He'd wanted to go to Canalave, to visit the library and see the great bridge, but it had been his father's trip and there was no reasoning with Thomas Quinn when it came to such frivolities as sight-seeing. They'd only been there a few days.

"Different?" His curiosity seems genuine. "How so?"

He can't imagine what it would be like, to see snow for the first time well into one's adulthood. He'd been born and raised amidst the snowstorms of Circhester.

He chuckles at the thought of a shiny human being, but nods.

"Yes. One that stands out among the rest." And if she stood with Rocket while the rest of her family were staunch supporters of the League? Well, that was a good thing so far as Gavin was concerned. "Rocket don't care where you're from. Only what you do."

Well, except if where you're from was beneficial to them, but...

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 22, 2022 22:40:55 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
"I've been a few times. It's quite the place, right?"

But enough boasting about Canalave and Sinnoh. Jessie didn't want to reminisce for too long, less she begin to crave home too much. So, she answered him instead.

"You know, in shows, it looks all soft and fluffy. But it can actually be super hard and hurt a lot. It's not what I thought at all. And it's super wet. I was soaked."

She may sound like a fool, but it was the truth to her.

"That's kind of what Mars told me, when he was training me in the abandoned warehouses. I had to prove myself useful, that I'd be loyal to Rocket."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2022 23:53:42 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"In shows, they usually use fake snow," Gavin says as they walk. His boots crunch down the snows and carve a path that the Delibird might follow safely up the mountain. "But the real thing can be light and fluffy, too. Only that tends to upset the kids who want to play in it; you can't really go sledding or pack snowballs with fluffier snow."

His lip quirks at some long forgotten memory, dredged by their conversation.

"My cousins used to pack their snowballs so tight it felt like being pelted by rocks."

His cousins had been assholes, at least on his father's side.

His smile fades to suit a grim, determined countenance when conversation slips to the topic of Rocket. The look of an underboss.

"Loyalty is paramount."

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Mar 4, 2022 23:57:39 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie looked at Gavin like he had a third head. Of course, packing snow so that it felt like rocks sounded so foreign and dangerous to her.

"How evil were your cousins?" she said with a teasing laugh.

But she and her siblings always did something similar. At least when competing with each other in board games or games in general. Sabotage, trying to be the winner.

There were probably several times that and her mother had to intervene for safety of their children.

Jessie noticed the slip into seriousness, clearing her throat and nodding.

"Of course it is. made sure I knew that. I've known him for a long time, and I'm glad he's training me in a way that isn't favorable."

She paused her words for a moment before speaking.

"If you're concerned about my ties to the Blacks, you don't need to worry. I've pretty much severed my ties to the name and the League. Of course I care about my siblings, but it won't interfere with my work."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2022 16:11:42 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Evil," Gavin assures her, but leaves it at that.

Perhaps the Quinn cousins were wicked youths, but it had been Gavin to find his niche within a terrorist organization. What could be more evil than that?

He shakes his head at her concern.

"If Martín trusts you, I trust his judgement." hadn't brought any concerns about Jessica to the underboss, so Gavin could only assume there were none of paramount importance. He hadn't known the admin as long as some others within Rocket but an understanding had been forged between them. "So long as you're willing to stand against them should they get in our way... but if they stay out of the conflict, then that shouldn't be a problem. Civilians shouldn't be dragged into this."

It was Blackwell's biggest flaw, Gavin thinks. Involving the innocent.

They're closing in on their destination, the Delibird chirping at their heels.

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2022 1:58:54 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Civilians. It wasn't the majority of her siblings that concerned Jessie.

It was .

She didn't voice this concern to Gavin. Her brother was a police officer in Slateport. There was certainly potential for future conflict, given he didn't know of her affiliation.

, on the other hand... he wasn't much of Jessie's concern. She had parted ways with her father months ago. Their relationship had been strained for ages now. Even if he was a councilman, that didn't strain her position in Rocket.

"It shouldn't be a problem. I assure you," she said pleasantly, smiling at Gavin.

The top of Mt. Chimney was approaching. Jessie felt like a bit of warmth was coming back to her, perhaps slowly.

"Do you know where exactly he has to go...?" she asked.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,870 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Apr 1, 2022 23:19:36 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Not a clue," Gavin admits. "Figured you might, or the 'bird itself."

He'd gotten involved for one reason only: to get to know a member of Rocket. It was important to understand those who worked beneath you. What made them tick, what might make them turn. He considered Rocket as his family. You didn't always like your family, but if you had to spend time with them, might as well understand who you were dealing with.

He decides that Jessie is one of the decent ones. He wouldn't begrudge working with her again.

"We just need to make sure he gets wherever he's going without losing a certain package. No idea why he's decided to lead us up a mountain for that, but..."

Gavin shrugs.

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
hey, snow boi! [m/ww]
POSTED ON Apr 18, 2022 16:15:56 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
"No... when I tried to talk to him earlier, he just sort of squawked at me and seemed impatient. Like he was mad I was taking up his time," Jessie said with a sigh.

She wished that she had some sort of inkling of where they were going, though. She knew that DELIBIRDS had a good sense of direction, otherwise she'd be sure she and her boss would be lost in the mountains right now.

"Maybe there's some kids needing presents up the mountain? I don't know who'd want to live on a mountain, though... no offense," she added quickly, as she remembered Gavin was from Galar.

"The cold is just bothersome to me."