he/him
July 30
Canalave City
gay
student
civilian
15 height
15 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @august
August Gallagher
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 18, 2021 3:41:34 GMT
August Gallagher Avatar
August set down the latest load of pastries and wiped away the sweat that had beaded across his forehead. This bake sale meant a lot to him, suicide prevention and crisis intervention for LGBT+ youths was undeniably something he felt was worth a day of manual labor and salesmanship. He knew what it was like to feel alone and unwanted, and if there was anything he could do to help others who were in similar situations, well, he had to do his part. Seeing the booths come together and the many volunteers bustling around raised his spirits.

Or, at least, they raised his spirits a smidge. There was just one wet blanket dampening his mood.

He really shouldn't have forced Finley to join him as a volunteer today. The price seemed small, completely insignificant, at the time. His friend's only condition for offering his assistance was that August had to hear him out and let him rant as much as he wanted to He initially didn't mind of course, he loved hearing Finley talk and always wanted to be a shoulder for him to lean on, but if he'd have known the day's exposé would star Ophelia he would have dragged along someone else.

He thought Finley was over her and that he was over Finley. The twinge in his heart whenever Finley's tone got a bit hopeful told him otherwise. Goddamnit, why did she have to show up out of nowhere. He could have stayed blissfully ignorant to his feelings and how truly one-sided they are. Why couldn't he just let go already?

He bit back a groan and forced a smile as Finley started up his rambling again. Was he even going to help at this point?

close tab

played by

Captain

Finn, Ziggy
He/Him
November 26
Sinnoh
?
Research Assistant
Civillian
single
25 height
25 height
awards
48 posts
Finley Black DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @finn
Finley Black
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 18, 2021 22:33:44 GMT
Finley Black Avatar
The buzzing chatter of excited volunteers mixed well with the sweet fragrance of freshly baked and packed treats, creating an overall positive environment for everyone involved.

Well, for almost everyone.

"I just mean-- what the hell is she even doing here? Of all places?"
The orange runt barked out, sprawling his arms in the air with exaggerated emotion. Ever since coming back from that damned museum last weekend, the teen hasn't been able to shut himself up. From his twin sister to his best friend -- no one in his immediate vicinity has been safe from his woes.

Finley set a crate full of wrapped goodies beside August before bringing his arm across his forehead, wiping the leftover speckles of sweat. "Honestly though... do you--" He threw himself to the left, nearly knocking into the other. "Do you think this might mean something? Like what if...no, I'm just being fucking stupid," He looked away again, his eyebrows bent downward, a frown drooping further downward. "Unless..."

close tab

played by

Popcorn

he/him
July 30
Canalave City
gay
student
civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @august
August Gallagher
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2021 20:54:44 GMT
August Gallagher Avatar
It felt like targeted stabs to his chest the more Finn speculated about Ophelia. He wanted to snap at him to just forget about her, but he knew he had no right. His friend's erratic movements were getting dangerously close to knocking over all their hard work, so with a sigh he placed both his hands on Finley's shoulders to still him. His heart fluttered with the contact but he tried squashing the feeling out.

"You're not stupid Finn. Look... Do you want it to mean something?" Before giving his friend a chance to answer, he continued on, some of his true feelings forced themselves out despite himself, "I- well, I don't like it. She must know how hurt you were and she still has the balls to approach you out of nowhere? Plus, only an idiot would have turned you down in the first place, I mean you're the complete package right?" August felt his face heat up as he realized what he said and did his best to laugh it off. He hoped it was convincingly #nohomo and hated his uncontrollable mouth. He took a deep breath and steadied himself.

"Never mind that... In the end it doesn't matter what I think. Figure out what it is you want from her first, whether that's leaving you the fuck alone or talking things out; I just want you to be happy so I don't have to listen to your obsessive ranting for the next 10 years haha" he unconsciously tightened his grip, "You know I'm here for you no matter what, I'll have your back whatever the case may be."

close tab

played by

Castaway

Lia, Filly
She / her
sixteen
February 10
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Heterosexual
Florist
Civilian
5 height
5 height
awards
18 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ophelia
Ophelia Reyes
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2021 20:50:05 GMT
Ophelia Reyes Avatar
Every once in a while, Ophelia steals glances in the boys direction. But every time she does, all she sees is pained expressions, exasperation, and flailing hands. Finn wore his heart on his sleeve, which meant his emotions and his thoughts as well.

He was upset about something, and he had seemed perfectly fine up until the very second he'd made eye contact with her. What was more concerning was that August's soft smile had fallen to the wayside, too. Neither of them were happy, now, and so she did her best to keep her distance from them.

After all, the only reason she could think of was that they were mad at her. And given the context of her last meeting with Finn? Where she had pleaded for him to stay and talk to her, and he'd shrugged her off and walked away? It had to be her.

Unfortunately for everyone involved, however, Filly is the one chosen to retrieve the crate of goodies the two boys had helped unload. Her, one small teenage girl with arms as wide as noodles. It was smart, really, she wasn't being sarcastic at all.

"U-uhh.. hi there, you two. I'm.. um.. I'm here for the crate? Is it alright if I take it from you?"

But how was she supposed to manage lifting and carrying it all by herself?
close tab

played by

Captain

Finn, Ziggy
He/Him
November 26
Sinnoh
?
Research Assistant
Civillian
single
25 height
25 height
awards
48 posts
Finley Black DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @finn
Finley Black
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2021 4:10:02 GMT
Finley Black Avatar
Finley dragged his head back up towards his friend. When it came to Ophelia, he would become almost like an abandoned puppy - so full of hope, but so frightened of betrayal.

"...Do you want it to mean something?"

Yes. A Thousand times yes. All he wanted was to turn towards her, smile, and return to their days of walking around the city, talking and laughing about the stupidest shit they could think of. He wanted to lightly knock her on the head whenever she did something naïve and listen to her rave about flowers until 1am on a school night.

This wishful thinking clouded his ears from the ramblings from August. He would nod, maybe offer an "mhm", but would ultimately return to his forbidden thoughts about Ophelia. That is until he felt his friend's grip tighten.

"Yeah, dude, of course." He mustered a half-smile for him, but the internal pangs of regret still ate away at his insides.

The sudden feminine voice nearly shattered whatever was left of him. "..." Finley gritted his teeth. He wasn't ready to see her again -- to hear her again, and yet, here she was! Never late to ruin his day.

A strained smile and a pair of dim eyes turned towards Ophelia. 'Go away' his heart wanted to scream. 'Just take it and leave.'

And yet, despite himself, Finley walked over to the crates and picked one up. "...I don't see how you'd be able to carry this, so just tell me where to go and I'll do it for you."

-
close tab

played by

Popcorn

he/him
July 30
Canalave City
gay
student
civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @august
August Gallagher
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2021 5:03:16 GMT
August Gallagher Avatar
The half-hearted smile that Finley offers him shatters his heart. He alone couldn't change his mood the way he knew she could once upon a time. And of course she is here, helping like the wonderful, kind, generous, and saintly person she is. Of course she steals his friend's attention the moment she opens her mouth. Of course Finn offers her assistance without a second thought. Of course August is going to be left to deal with his bitter feelings on his own, once again.

Even though his own conscious is screaming at him to not interfere, he interrupts. "Don't worry about it Finn, I can carry it and she can lead the way. I practically forced you to do this with me anyway, no need to push yourself." He forces a smile and he can't tell if his lie is convincing or not. He turns to Ophelia and finds he isn't quite able to meet her eyes. "That is, if you're alright with me lending a hand."

He wants to hate her, and looking at the two teens beside him; the ideal height difference between them, perfectly juxtaposed aesthetics, and a tension that could be easily cut with a knife; he thinks he might. But that would make him a bad person, wouldn't it? To hate someone so good intentioned and unassuming. So instead he hates himself for thinking, even for a moment, that either of them owed him anything. Hates and regrets that he opened his mouth and put himself in the middle when he's known his place was always on the sidelines. He chuckles to himself at the irony of having a crisis at a crisis intervention bake sale.

close tab

played by

Castaway

Lia, Filly
She / her
sixteen
February 10
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Heterosexual
Florist
Civilian
5 height
5 height
awards
18 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ophelia
Ophelia Reyes
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2021 16:47:36 GMT
Ophelia Reyes Avatar
Her heart is in a panic, as, just as she suspected, the boy’s body language and expression had changed the moment she opened her mouth. It felt awful, like she was the cause for all of their pain. It made her stomach hurt and her voice quake.

”N-no, wait— you don’t have to—“

Awkwardly, Filly reaches out with her hand to stop Finn. She doesn’t really know why, as he’s right. She can’t pick up the crates herself she is far too weak. But to make the situation worse, August steps up to interrupt and assist, talking to Finn about how he could carry it instead so as to not put him out. And then August turns his cheek to her, causing the girl to suck in a breath and appear nervous.

”Of course! Only if you’re sure you want to, I mean. I don’t want to put you out or anything, I’m really sure I could handle it on my own so I don’t have to bother or inconvenience you both.”

Her voice shakes and August won’t meet her eyes. Finn is already carrying a crate and instead of being at all useful, Ophelia just stands there looking nauseous.
close tab

played by

Captain

Finn, Ziggy
He/Him
November 26
Sinnoh
?
Research Assistant
Civillian
single
25 height
25 height
awards
48 posts
Finley Black DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @finn
Finley Black
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2022 0:32:11 GMT
Finley Black Avatar
Finn's eyes flicked over to his friend, August, as he offered his assistance instead. It was the type of gesture to be expected from a solid guy like him. Knowing how he could be, he was probably trying to save Finn's ass from talking to Opehlia. More interaction meant more pain, which ultimately meant more rant sessions like today. He doubt his friend wanted either, and so, he willingly sacrificed himself to the guillotine.

Naturally, the whole situation evoked a grateful smile from Finn. All hints of pain had thoroughly drained away from his features, leaving behind his old self. His Ophelia-less self. "Push myself?" He laughed and rolled his eyes. "I'm fine, asshole. But if you wanna act all macho, go grab the other crate."

With that settled, Finley's gaze averted back onto the girl next to them. He tried to muster up the best straight face he could: furrowed eyebrows, a frown, dull eyes -- the whole thing. But he wouldn't be surprised if a glint of pain snuck its way in.

"Just lead the way, Ophelia."

-
close tab

played by

Popcorn

he/him
July 30
Canalave City
gay
student
civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @august
August Gallagher
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2022 3:39:49 GMT
August Gallagher Avatar
His crush's genuine smile sent his heart briefly into the stratosphere. August rolled his eyes at Finn. "Alright, alright. Sorry for questioning your stamina O Great and Powerful One," He picked up the nearest crate and shot Finn a wink, "Still... If your arms get tired we can take as many breaks as you need." August sniggered and momentarily felt the tension ease between the three of them as they walked over their haul.

They mostly worked in silence while they unpacked each box, and August just felt thankful to be able to steal glances of Finn hard at work. Once they were done, one of the volunteer managers directed them to work sales at a stand all together. When would either of them address the elephant in the room? he thought. August nearly resigned himself to the pungent awkwardness, but he didn't want the rest of the day to be ruined. He courageously tried to break the silence.

"So, uh... how about the weather? Ah, shit, wait... I mean... Finn! Any new projects you're working on?"
close tab

played by

Castaway

Lia, Filly
She / her
sixteen
February 10
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Heterosexual
Florist
Civilian
5 height
5 height
awards
18 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ophelia
Ophelia Reyes
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2022 21:48:09 GMT
Ophelia Reyes Avatar
Her babbling falls on deaf ears- or that is at least how she interprets it. They seem to bicker between each other, and while it seems playful she can't help but feel a twist in her gut to suggest otherwise. She dips her head, stops talking, and lets them handle the crates by themselves.

But the sound of her name spoken in such a cold, detached manner. It makes her freeze and leaves her sad. It clings to her tightly, her lip trembles, but she only glances at him briefly. Silence permeates between them afterward, awkwardness settling in the fine lines between their footsteps.

August speaks up, asking about the weather. Filly opens her mouth to answer, only for him to interrupt and fumble before addressing Finn, specifically. Her ears redden in embarrassment and she tucks her chin again, avoiding eye contact. But she curls her hair behind her ear to listen, because she really is interested in what Finn might have to say.
close tab

played by

Captain

Finn, Ziggy
He/Him
November 26
Sinnoh
?
Research Assistant
Civillian
single
25 height
25 height
awards
48 posts
Finley Black DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @finn
Finley Black
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2022 1:15:56 GMT
Finley Black Avatar
Despite his calm expression and laidback laughs, Finley couldn't resist stealing a few glimpses from Ophelia. Her trembling lip, her redden cheeks, he noticed it all. Truth be told, if it weren't for August's persistent efforts to distract him, he might've been lost to her gravitational pull.

"Huh?" Mouth agape, the teen's gaze snapped back to his friend's call. The gears in his head took a second to click back into place, but when they did, his face instantly lit up with excitement. "Oh, yeah! I dunno if I told you, but my pops got me this sick Miata for Christmas. She's got a long way to go, but I'm shooting to get her up and running by next week."

For a moment, maybe due to his habitual nature, his eyes glanced towards Ophelia, as if to gauge her reaction. He used to always bombard her with his dreams of fixing up a car to take her around in, and so, a part of him grew curious if she remembered, or if she even cared. 'I'll need your help decorating it' he used to tell her, 'you know I'm hopeless with design.'

If their eyes were to meet, a tint of embarrassment would instantly flood his cheeks, forcing him to turn back to August.

close tab

played by

Popcorn

he/him
July 30
Canalave City
gay
student
civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @august
August Gallagher
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2022 2:02:22 GMT
August Gallagher Avatar
Even in the awkward silence it was obvious to August that Finn couldn't keep his attention off of Ophelia. He couldn't find it in himself to feel anything but numb. It was his curse to be far too attentive to every little thing about the ginger, and it only made him more and more aware that he wasn't even on Finn's radar. His head was buzzing and full of fuzz as his friend enthusiastically answered his question. For once, he couldn't focus on what he was saying. When he realized Finley had finished speaking he responded in an uneven tone, "O-oh, um... that sounds nice."

He was an outsider here. Shouldn't he know that by now? A shiver ran through him at the subtle glance the two beside him exchanged. He couldn't stand being in the middle of their tension anymore.

"Hey, um... I'm gonna take a snack break before the next wave comes. You two... you two should talk."

He smiled sadly and kept his eyes on his feet. He gave Finley a weak thumbs up and walked away as fast as he could.

close tab

played by

Castaway

Lia, Filly
She / her
sixteen
February 10
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Heterosexual
Florist
Civilian
5 height
5 height
awards
18 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ophelia
Ophelia Reyes
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2022 3:41:44 GMT
Ophelia Reyes Avatar
Of course she remembers. She was always listened, even if it didn't really interest her, because seeing him excited and enthusiastic about something he enjoyed was the most important thing to her. Seeing him smile, seeing his hands wave about as he spoke about something he was passionate about, it brought her endless amounts of joy.

So when he mentions the Miata, her eyes widen immediately without thought. She is caught red-handed and she glances away immediately, embarrassment tickling her cheeks rosy. He didn't want her to care, did he? But she has to wonder anyway if he still has those silly fuzzy dice she bought him for his birthday last year.

"What about this? This is cute," she had said. He'd laughed at her, but he'd seemed thrilled. Was he still? Had he thrown them away?

August interrupts her thoughts and relieves some of the tension by adding more. He sets down the crate and mentions a snack break, ultimately breaking off from the pair of them. He insists they should talk but all that brings her is dread. Her face pales as she looks between him and Finley, a deer caught in headlights.

"You really don't have to go, August, I'm sorry--"

Had she done something? Did he hate her? He won't look at her and he scurries away with haste. Ophelia glances at Finley, her gaze timid. She doesn't know what to say, but she knows she has to say something.

"A Miata sounds cool."
close tab

played by

Captain

Finn, Ziggy
He/Him
November 26
Sinnoh
?
Research Assistant
Civillian
single
25 height
25 height
awards
48 posts
Finley Black DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @finn
Finley Black
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2022 19:07:35 GMT
Finley Black Avatar
August's departure came without warning. One second Finn was off staring down towards the ground, avidly avoiding any temptation to steal another glimpse of Ophelia, and the next, his best friend was gone and out of sight.

'You two should talk'

Those words created a thick ball of mucus in his throat. Hesitant eyes frantically searched the ground and his lips twitched into an uncomfortable frown. But, before his awkwardness could manifest into words, Ophelia was the first to prompt conversation. "Yeah..." The word drooled out from his lips, slow and cautious.  "...I plan on painting her pink later. It'll be a pain in the ass, though."

But it would be worth it

Because it'll match that damned pair of fuzzy dice-- the way they planned it look all that time ago.

close tab

played by

Popcorn

he/him
July 30
Canalave City
gay
student
civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @august
August Gallagher
Heartache Bake [M]
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2022 23:47:48 GMT
August Gallagher Avatar
August stared blankly at the vending machine and breathed in deeply. If he turned 65 degrees to his right he could still watch the two in the distance, so he did his best to keep his eyes forward. Rows of lemonade were suddenly very interesting. Once he had a bottle, he slid down the wall and into a squat. He could see the two talking from the corner of his eye.

Good for you, Finn. Good for you,
he thought.

He decided he would give them a bit more time alone which would, in turn, give himself more time to come to terms with the inevitable end of his first love. Maybe he'd be able to stay friends with them at the very least. August watched condensation drip down his drink

When life gives you lemons...