part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2022 4:21:00 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

IN THE WALLOWS OF DEPRESSION

RASCAL'S LILYCOVE LOCATION can't hope to capture the same vibe as slateport's. it lacks the rowdiness its patrons have learned to associate with the name. instead, the joint is sparsely populated, catering to middle-age league employees who look to drown out hoenn's bleak future. they succumb to the notion that they'll retire for the night, weary, only to repeat the next day for the rest of their lives.

depressing.

loud, mainstream music plays over the sound system. the television behind the bar is muted in comparison, suffocated by the saturated bass of a sound system older than tonight's bartender. a half functioning disco light paints the stage in revolving colors of red and green. an open mic sits on an empty stage, ready for someone drunk enough to tinker with the karaoke machine.

fernando hadn't expected company. he hadn't expected much of anything. he was more than content to round out several reports on his laptop while nursing hard cider. but all that changes when he catches a familiar sight of white hair and bare shoulders. he grimaces inwardly, out of sight, reflecting on his best course of action.

against his better judgement, he finds himself pulling up a seat next to her.

he puts two fingers up to pull the bartender's attention.

"rough day?"

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2022 4:39:02 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]her body stills at the presence, at the voice that follows. and as he settles into a stool beside her, pale bangs shield dull eyes.

the half empty glass in her grasp is barely even a lifeline but it's clutched all the same.

"you could say that," she murmurs. each day has been rough as time shuffles on from the latest aqua assembly. here, without her lab coat to be a makeshift shield... the deep cuts of war unfurl in low bar lighting. it looks gnarly up close. jagged edges start at the shoulder and dip down across to the bottom of a hip. and somehow, it's better than it was before. no longer bloody, painful, and opening whenever she moves.

her mobility has returned, at least. and with it, her staggered return to work.

today had been particularly hard. he's right on the money with that one, at least. work piles up between being stuck in a hospital and during the holiday season. and while illeana reyes has performed admirably under pressure, there's an air clinging to her that didn't exist before. not quite an insecurity but perhaps a wariness? a feeling of constantly having to watch her back, as if her sea counterpart is about to return at any moment.

even his presence sends her skin mildly crawling... a first of, unfortunately, many. she knocks back the rest of her drink to combat the sensation but it does nothing in the end.

"what about you?"

[newclass=.illie] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2022 4:49:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“SAME,” he lies out of habit. there’s no malice or ill intent behind withholding the truth. it’s instinctual at this point—an easy way to abate the small talk he’d have to trudge through had he answered in any other manner.

the bartender is on them instantly. there’s hardly anyone else needing attention and fernando—rather, anyone new coming in is the most interesting thing to happen in the last ten minutes.

two of whatever she’s having.

he looks her over again. thinks back of how she used to look, so bright and hopeful. she was barely an intern back then, when they first met.

actually, make that four.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2022 5:03:19 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]his answer is chewed on with a short silence. whether it's a lie or not makes no difference to her. not really, anyway.

he's still here, settling in and ordering drinks of his own. and maybe the company is almost welcomed but she's still finding her footing after the past few months. their relationship has cracked and she sees glimpses of the past laced into the present: when she was bright eyed, bushy tailed, and so full of hope.

and isn't it sad to recognize where her hope went? looking back, she'd say it died with .

"four?" only then does her head turn to regard him. bags settle beneath usually brighter eyes and there's a not quite far but not quite near look behind her expression. she had tried to tame her hair into a high ponytail but even that, in the end, looks haggard.

[newclass=.illie] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2022 5:16:19 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“INDEED.”

her question is just that, a question. it doesn’t post near close enough of a protest to stop the bartender from reaching for a bottle underneath the shelves and pouring a short line of glasses.

it’s been a rough day.

when they’re poured and presented, fernando takes one off the end closest to him. raises it up to clink against the next one, moving independent of her action. still, his eyes look at her expectantly.

there’s no question that he expects her to follow.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2022 2:10:42 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]a hum of agreement claws out of her throat. it's a flat note, exhausted even before it takes its first breath.

"i see," she offers finally, eyes lazily observing the bartender's work.

and eventually, four glasses are presented in a neat row. fernando takes a glass and his eyes drift toward her. expectancy burns holes into her body until she feels like nothing but hollow bones. it's not exactly an unfamiliar sensation, per se, but it's slowly begun to make her skin crawl like thousands of centipedes.

her fingers wrap around glass and raise it up, anyway.

"cheers."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2022 2:21:09 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“CHEERS.”

his glass cuts to meet hers with a decisive clink. one sharp sound of contact before throwing it away in one smooth swing. he swallows both the burn and the harrowing grimaces that comes with it. even with the first shot, fernando’s disgust is palpable.

he shakes his head with disapproval.

so, reyes, how are you holding up?

the aftertaste sears hot enough to make him desperate enough for the next.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2022 2:50:34 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]the alcohol burns as it goes down. it leaves a scrunched nose and a more prominent frown. and where it ignites the throat, it also paints over everything else.

the empty glass is discarded for the full, the soft clinking sound feeling like it rings loudly in her ears.

"fine," she offers with a roll of scarred shoulders. it's barely a passable lie but things between them are weird, unsettled, changed. besides... does her boss really want to hear about the deep recesses of her mind?

no, definitely not. and so, she deflects the question back to him, spiking it over the net like one would a volleyball.

"how about you?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2022 2:57:36 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“BUSY,” is the only consistent truth fernando will ever answer willfully. when isn’t he?

chaotic.

and when is the region anything but?

so, fine, i guess.

is the only suitable answer he can come up with. a mirror of her own but with an acceptance built on years of consistency. this is his new normal.

they kill their drinks way to soon for anything to sink in. left high and dry, fernando waves again. with the bartender hovering nearby, he shrugs in her direction.

your pick. it’s on me.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2022 22:28:38 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]he outlines what almost feels like the norm for him.

is there ever a time where it's not chaotic, busy, or otherwise? no... she doesn't think so.

"the usual, then," she murmurs. somehow, she expected as much. "do you ever get tired of it?" the chaotic busy, anyway. he'd probably work himself to death if he could.

drinks come, run empty, and go all in quick succession. alcohol dulls and numbs what she needs, what she wants. and when the choice is left to her, she simply... sticks with routine.

"the same, please." she flashes a tiny smile in the bartender's direction and it comes off exactly how she feels: tired, ripping at the seams.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2022 4:32:35 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“OF COURSE,” he answer nonchalantly.

in a perfect world, none of this would be an issue. the fernando that sits across of her would be enriched by his own grandeur. a lifestyle of lavish indulges would leave him crippled in idle vices.

all it takes is one little change to set someone on a particular path. somehow, their world creates this exact scenario. pairs them up, dreary and exhausted.

burnt.

who doesn’t?

he raises a new glass, grimace and all.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2022 23:54:38 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]of course... the answer is expected. it tastes bitter in her mouth, sticking to tongue and teeth until she's hurrying the shot process along to rid herself of the taste.

it barely works, anyway, by the time the first shot goes down.

the second is raised, gestured toward him, and then swallowed all the same.

and when empty glasses clink back into their old space, she heaves a soft sigh. her head turns fully toward him. the smile is worn, frayed, struggling.

"i dunno, people who love their lives?" the laugh is bitter, slightly broken... much like herself, really.

been cut open like an animal does that to someone. breaks them down, knocks over what little foundation they have, and forces realization to settle in: you're not invincible and you will die.

the clock keeps on ticking.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2022 0:48:01 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“ARE YOU SAYING YOU DON’T?”

her laugh turns his frown upside down. it’s bittersweet, mocking, a counterpoint to an implication that steers her down a beaten path. to be reminded of morality is one thing, to believe in your purpose is another.

you can always step down.

he cannot let her forget that, no matter how far she falls.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,119 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2022 23:12:30 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]is that what she's saying..?

the question throws her into contemplative silence. she's prided herself on her ability to get back up after being knocked around. the stubbornness to not fall kept her going for so long. and like all things, it eventually expired.

it leaves her in a state of limbo: existing in no realm yet longing for both.

"i -- i'm not sure." she settles on the truth because when has he ever known her to lie? "depends on the day, perhaps."

she could step down. maybe sometimes, she even should... but what else would she do? she was made for this. born and bred to be the best for her family's legacy, beaten down until all she knew was her work.

and what do you do when you're nothing like you were made to be?

you become better.

"i'll step down when i'm dead, fernando."

otherwise, there's no place for her at his side. an unsettling thought, really, but it's one she keeps close to her chest in a box marked for anxious thinking.

"there's still work to be done. you know that as well as i do."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
DECOMPRESS
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2022 0:44:59 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

DECOMPRESS

“INDEED.”

there is always work to be done. no one knows better than him. no one else has put in the work, the hours, the pain and sacrifice that he has. he’s compromised more than just his youth and potential of living it up. he’s changed himself, molded himself to be someone that fits what the worlds needs instead of bending it to what he wants. morals, mindset—

everything.

but does he hate his life. his body grows weary. his mind falters. this does get tiring. but it is him. and no one loves fernando more than fernando himself. and fernando loves no one more than himself.

so their agreeance matches but their onset on life does not.

to commit yourself to a life you hate—

his smile dies.

you’re better than that reyes. you could have the world.