Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2022 17:07:54 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

—IT'S OVER—

It rang over the silence, a hushed shout.

— THE CHALLENGER CLAIMS HIS FIRST VICTORY —

'twas an early dawn at the Kalos' International Airport, the sun still hidden under the horizon.

— A NEW ROOKIE TAKES THE STAGE —

Within a half-empty terminal, the screams of crowds barely managed to disturb the silence as a triumphant scene unfolded within one of several flat screens lining the columns about, the sound parsed, compressed and with the volume down low enough as to turn screams to whispers.

The image of a young man pumping a fist in the air filled the screen, a stadium-full of screams rising in volume along with his fist.

On a row of seats across from the screen, a hooded youth sat leaned forward, heel rising up and down irritably, arms leaned atop his thighs with a device in one hand and a little red book hanging open off the other, a thin, dour line stretched over his lips.

"Tch!" He clicked irritably at his PokeNav screen, snapping the device shut before throwing it roughly into the duffel bag besides him. "Greedy bastard."

He shifted his gaze up to the screen, staring tiredly at the figure on the screen.

— HIS NEXT 3 MATCHES HAVE ALREADY BEEN DETERMINED —
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
we survive only by our nature
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2022 2:53:36 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
near the gate to a flight back to hoenn, iseult sat in sunglasses, a scarf partially unfurled and pulled around her narrow shoulders. her hair was tied in a way it wouldn’t normally be, plainly looped and held almost precariously in the jaws of an even plainer clip at her back.

mostly, she’d been on her phone, picking through the news, and through the multitude of inboxes she was obligated to keep up with. work was never done; however, as she finished up an email, her attention was finally drawn to the whispering roar of the crowd on the screens. only a moment later, she caught a too-practiced earful of frustration close by.

a shaded glimpse found the boy's eyes on the screen, and hers returned there as she asked casually, ”is this in galar? i haven’t paid much attention.”

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2022 21:11:09 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

A jolt shook the young man's shoulders as he was suddenly spoken to, his gaze shifting away from the screen and towards the voice.

"Huh?" He utters eloquently as his head turns, eyes falling on the speaker, his mind registering the question and supplying an answer before thinking about it. "Kalos. Easy mistake, though; stadium's new. The Galarian style's been popular overseas of late."

While his mouth ran free, he examined the woman across from him.

She was vaguely familiar. Had he seen her before? Well, that didn't matter.

"... I'm- John." He said after a moment, the pause in his words brief enough to miss. "Sorry if I disturbed ya earlier."

He turned his gaze back to the screen; the stadium had disappeared, a news set taking its place with mildly known Kalosian commentators going over the Pro Circuit's newly started season's stats.

His lip curled slightly at the sight.

"Why? You a fan?" He asked, forcing a grin as he leaned back on his seat.
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2022 3:46:35 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
she didn’t catch him jump, eyes already on the screen.

”here in kalos? really?” there was a touch of genuine surprise on her face. ”and i thought i kept up well enough.”

her eyes shifted over towards him again with a smile at his introduction. it was polite, warm. it didn’t seem to notice the odd pause, but she had. perhaps he was deciding if he recognized her or not. it was a look she saw often enough.

a fan? ”you could say that.” it had been forced down her throat until she’d learned to have an appetite for it. training was not a hobby; it was an expectation. ”i’ve been going to tournaments since i was a child.”

”iseult—and you didn’t disturb me.” smile curling a little more, kindly mannered, she leaned in his direction an inch to add in lower tone, ”although i do hope things get better.”

after a moment, recognition crossed her own face.

”you’re captain sullivan.” she was sure of it. ”i watched you in the star tournament last year, in hoenn. very impressive. congratulations.”

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON May 8, 2022 18:35:57 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

He managed to swallow his nerves at her words, his lips tugging into a bitter smile as he looked away.

"Yeah, me too." He didn't expect them to, but it was a nice sentiment.

Her name was pretty- heck of a lot more unique than John, too. Yet, he couldn't recall meeting anyone with that name... Her face still remained rather familiar, though...

And apparently, so did his.

"Guess ya really are a fan. Thank ya kindly! No, really, I appreciate it. 'Twas a lotta work and everyone forgot 'bout it like a week later." He said jokingly, chuckling as he scratched at his cheek, before pulling his hoodie off his head. "But jeez, guess the hoodie trick only works in film. Now I feel a lil' silly, haha."

Silly Doug, Life wasn't a movie... it was an anime.

"It's a pleasure to... meet'cha, Iseult?" He half said, half asked, giving her a grin and shrug. "Sorry, it's been bothering me for a while now. Could swear I've seen yer face somewhere 'fore."

He tapped his chin in thought, but nothing immediately came up.

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON May 10, 2022 22:36:53 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
she kept up with things. maybe that made her a fan.

”a week? surely not.”

her gaze followed his finger to his cheek, and the scar beneath his ee. a hood didn’t cover that—not well enough, anyways. sometimes, a particular feature on a person’s face could be quite memorable. all it had taken was the right turn of his head, a certain angle of light.

”it works sometimes,“ she assured knowingly, ”but like i said, you made an impression.”

there was no look of surprise on her face that he found her familiar.

”you might be thinking of my father, ingolf babineaux. the politician? well, he’s retired now...” she smiled. it was not just one politician, but an impressive line of them, tracing all the way back to old royalty—but she wasn’t going to elaborate to that extreme. not at that moment.

”i’ve been on tv a time or two myself. just little things with my father, though, mostly.” in silent support, off to the side somewhere. waiting for her time to come; however, as she got older, the press did occasionally turn her way. 

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON May 11, 2022 18:25:31 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

"That so? Guess I should just be happy 'bout that." He said through a short-lived chuckle, his grin quickly slipping off his face as he leaned back on his seat. "... Yeah. Even people outside of Hoenn remember, too. I was lucky to leave an impression on 'em as well... very lucky."

It was the only reason he could carry out his plans.

On the tv, as the camera pulled away from the victorious trainer's back, motion graphics filled the screen as the commentator's began speaking once again, the image of one John D. Sullivan appearing next to a battle record and several pro-circuit stats.

Winning the HsT was a pursuit he had only undertaken due to his youthful ego, but it had turned out more fruitful than he could ever have imagined.

But that wasn't important; he couldn't help but tilt his head ever so slightly as she mentioned her father...

"You are Ingolf Babineaux's daughter?" He asked, brows flying up.

Two years ago, the name would've meant precisely nothing to the then self-absorbed bugcatcher. Too much going on with his life for him to worry about politics.

Now, however, it was one of several names he oft came across while studying the past 10 years of Hoenn's political landscape. If memory served him right, not just him, but the family name in general was...

"Hoooh... Then that must mean... Hm." He uttered as he stared at her in a slightly different manner, tilting his head. "Say, do you happen to work at League HQ?"

The blanks in his memory were slowly filling in, the clues falling into place like puzzle pieces.
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 2:35:47 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
”with all due respect, luck plays no part in skill. do not reduce your victory, mr. sullivan. you are a champion, and the world has seen it.”

though the volume was low, his name from the television speakers caught her trained ear. she glanced up at the screen, and then smiled back at him.

”you deserve the recognition.”

she nodded at her father’s name, as then as he trailed off, she assumed the direction of his thoughts. surely, they were drifting in the same direction as many did upon the realization. it meant she was, technically, a princess. being that it had often been something their opposers utilized to argue against their place in the region’s modern politics, frustration battled harder with her family pride as she grew further into adulthood.

she was pleasantly surprised at the mention of league HQ, rather than the implication of her bloodline.

”i do. i’ve been working as councilman ’s assistant while i continue school. it’s given me plenty of opportunity to witness the inner workings of hoenn’s politics; however, much of it is just answering emails.” she raised the phone in her hand with the softest chuckle.

”i imagine you frequent HQ as well, given your responsibilities? the region’s military has been quite active in recent years.”

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 4:39:29 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

"Aw shucks... yer pretty good with words, ain't cha?" He said, pulling onto his hood slightly as he grinned with slightly dusted cheeks. "I'll just take yer pretty word for it, then— Thank ya kindly!"

With the reveal of her job, everything made sense.

"I knew I had seen ya somewhere!" He said with a snap of the fingers, rather pleased to finally figure things out; it would've niggled at the back of his mind the whole time they spoke if he had just let it be. "So yer that guy's secretary, huh?"

He gave her an empathetic look, holding up a fist in a universal 'do your best' sort of gesture.

"My condolences. I dunno the man personally, but that's a face I wouldn't wanna see angry." He said with a shudder. If there was something he had learned while working this past year and a half, it was that your boss was always angry at you, whether you were at fault or not. "But... the inner workings, huh? That sounds interesting. Can I have yer phone number? I would like a heads-up text if they ever decide to gut our healthcare. I swear Silph's been planning it ever since I broke his arena, that petty git."

He was joking, of course.... Half joking, anyway.

He finished his words with a scratch of at his chin, brow furrowed; he wondered how much of the theory he had read was reflected in reality...

At her question, he paused mid-thought, blinking at her, before shrugging his shoulders.

"Yeah; pretty sure that's how I first saw you! ... Hn. I mean, yes, but also, not really." He said, leaning back on his seat and letting his gaze drift up, scratching at his cheek as his lips pursed. "I'm called in plenty 'nuff, but rarely as Cptn. Sullivan. Usually, they want Doug, Mauville City's Gym Leader."

A position of somewhat dubious authority & influence; he would've had a hard time explaining to anyone who asked just what exactly his responsibilities and expectations truly were. On paper they were few- in practice...

"The military's busy for sure, but I'm just a Captn'. 3rd off the bottom of the barrel, Commissioned rank wise." He said with a shrug, dropping his chin atop his awaiting palm casually, masking his distaste. "I ain't 'qualified' to even sit at that particular table, let alone speak..."

Qualified shmollified. Bah! A lot of military rank came simply due to time and 'experience', as opposed any sort of qualification or merit.

Not that Doug could point fingers on that front- he had only been made a Captain at his age for appearances' sake, and he knew it better than anyone.

"Ya mentioned studying before?" He said, leaning back on his seat whilst looking at her, grinning. "College, yeah? Guessing a Politics Major?"

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 9:06:42 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
iseult nodded with a smile at his gratitude.

”of course.”

she was careful not to give anything away in her expression when he offered her condolences about assisting councilman . the man had anger, certainly. she’d seen it, exploded, spilled out all over his floor, and chased with booze. but, all things considered—and among those things being loss of limb and a looming apocalypse—she did her best to withhold judgment. for now, at least.

this was his grace period.

”it is an honor to serve hoenn through my assistance to councilman black. he has my utmost respect, and i have no complaints to speak of.”

she didn’t acknowledge the prickly comment about , however amusing.

”as for my number,” her cheeks swelled brightly with good humor, ”i’m afraid it’s top secret—but if i ever do hear something, i’ll be sure to reach out. i’m rather good at finding people.”

it made sense that the captain would visit the league more often on gym leader duties. in regards to him being unqualified to sit and speak here or there in the army, she only furthered her support.

”ah. well, i’m sure it’s only a matter of time.”

he was right about her studies, of course. she, and every other true babineaux who had existed for the last several centuries. she had, quite literally, been born for this.

”indeed, i am. one more year, and then it’s on to bigger things, i hope.”

the sprinkle of doubt was not for herself. it was for the world, as it sat in the weighing hand of fate.

”perhaps i will stay in hoenn a while.”

for now, it was her only option.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 2:09:19 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

He grinned, holding his chest as he faked a grimace.

"Ah, the ol' 'don't call us, we'll call you'. Rejection my old friend, yer sting smarts as ever." He said, faking a sigh before grinning cheekily. "Works for me! I'll keep an eye on m'mail box, then."

He waved his hand dismissively at her reassurances, though he looked quite happy to hear them all the same. With any luck, she was right, and a promotion was on the way.

When she brought up the possibility of staying in Hoenn, he could only tilt a brow at her, wondering why she would ever do that. In the end though, he wasn't one to tell someone he had just met what to do.

"Well... Not too bad an idea! Best place in the world if ya wanna build a career young, yeah?" Doug said with a laugh. "Provided you survive, anyway! Heck, I've heard one of the candidates doing well on the polls is only 'bout 23!"

One... , if he recalled right. She was family of and , if his cursory research wasn't incorrerct, so she wasn't exactly starting from nothing, far as the people of Hoenn were concerned.

The Councilmen and women could be trusted to empty their seats every couple of months, provided their names wasn't . Be it through pressure, responsibility, or mortality rates, rarely did Hoenn's leadership last long, often disappearing into the night and becoming seemingly forgotten by the population at large.

Perhaps because of that, Hoenn was one of the rare countries in the world that enjoyed exceedingly young, successful politicians. Commissioner hadn't even been 30 years old yet when she was sworn in! Middle aged men like were actually a rarity in Hoenn's political scene.

There was also the fact that Hoenn's politics were exceedingly inclusive, allowing even people from other regions in with nary a peep from the population. Doug wasn't sure if it was because the people of Hoenn were extremely progressive or extremely apathetic, but he wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Not until an openly Rocket candidate tried to run for office anyway.

"So, which college ya goin' to?" He asked, tilting his head slightly. "Do you actually go, all presential-like? Only 'round the end o' my second year of college, but I've never actually been to the grounds- online schoolin' n' all that; kinda curious if it's any different from high-school."

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2022 1:48:46 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
captain sullivan was amusing, and her smile remained a tickled pinch in her cheeks at his theatrical lament.

it was true about the success of young entrepreneurs and politicians in hoenn, but that was not the reason she was here. she might’ve also pointed out that those who obtained such influential seats in their government did not often last long; but she refrained, respectfully.

”i’m attending the university in ever grande. i do go to classes, but much of it is online and on my own while i’m finishing up the program.” she paused, a touch of weariness in her eye as she summarized, ”lots of writing.”

turning the question on him, then, she asked, ”what about you? where is your school? what’s your major?”

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 14:10:07 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

The subtleness of her weariness was contrasted by Doug's immediate hiss and grimace, the words 'lots of writing' striking a nerve with lethal precision.

"Lele above, I can only imagine." He said in an almost whiny tone, head craned back dramatically.

He was only on his second year of a bachelors and it still felt as though the essays would kill him before Rocket or triads did. Lazy bastards should hurry up and get the job done before his next Logistics test!

"Me?" He grinned, before parroting. "Bulwark Hoenn Military Institute, Mauville branch. 'mIlItArY ScIeNcE MaJoR'... The art of murdering- no wait, what's the general always say...? Ah yes, protecting an entire nation, down to a science."

He wrinkled his nose, before rolling his eyes. He leaned over closer, looking around with excessive, exagerated furtiveness before speaking loudly and frankly.

"'tween you n' me? I've always been more interested in Enthomology— buuut I wasn't really given a choice in the matter. Military Program n' all." He said, sighing as he shrugged his shoulders and waved his hand in the air airily. "I've only ever stepped into the actual campus a couple times. Looked nice. Would be nice to swing by more often, I think."

He crossed his arms over his chest, pursing his lips.

"Digital classes really wear the shine off college life, huh?" He sighed. "I haven't made a single bestie in the past 2 years! It's been borin' as sin."

Classes could be fun, but logistics continued to whoop his ass, which wasn't very fun at all, and it really felt like he was missing out on a crucial part of the college experience.

Realizing these had to be the most first world problems to ever come out of his lips, the youth snorted in self-amusement before grinning at Iseult again.

"Sorry to suddenly ask, but... what'cha think 'bout Hoenn, right now?" He asked, tilting his head. "Wonderin' what picture a future politician sees."
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 8:40:06 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
the art of murdering. that was an interesting way of putting it.

the way sullivan rolled his eyes made her wonder about a side of things she didn’t often see. the military was not only made up of those who had made the choice to serve, but those who hadn’t had any other due to circumstance. countless dreams, gone by the wayside. it was a shame that any boy who preferred to be an entomologist would ever have to get blood on his hands instead.

”hoenn is lucky for your sacrifice, captain, but i do hope one day you’ll be able to pursue your passion.”

when she looked up entomology later, it would not be anything within the realm of what she would have guessed.

at his sentiment about digital classes, she smiled a bit weakly, and admitted, ”i sometimes wonder about the normal experience—but i can’t imagine keeping up with everything if it weren’t online. i’m always running around some place, multi-tasking.” fun had never really been on the agenda.

then came the question about hoenn. what did she think about it?

”hoenn is a beautiful region which has suffered enormous hardship. war, terrorism, constant extraterrestrial threats... hoennians have known more loss than anyone ever should, and it's  heartbreaking that many of them now seem to expect tragedy at every turn.” most who had been there for any significant length of time had become desensitized, or crumbled in one way or another. ”but i do believe that much of its conflict stems from underlying, infrastructural issues which can be resolved. with the right steps taken by its government, hoenn can begin to heal in many ways.”

behind her smiling lavender gaze, a promise twinkled.

”i have hope, and you have my word that i will do what i can to push for a better future. hoenn is my home now, too.”

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Terminal [Iseult]
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2022 2:48:55 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Terminal

Youthful Politics with

He laughed.

"Shit, am I ranting that much? Sorry, I really ain't tryin' to get pity 'ere." He said with a lazy smile, leaning his head onto his chin. "Just comes out sometimes. Sorry to subject'cha to my whining... 'ppreciate the kind words, though. I hope so too."

It didn't seem likely, though.

He could only sigh to her words regarding college life, finding them all too relatable. His mouth opened briefly before closing again, his gaze focusing on the floor as he considered his words.

"Ya... you never feel like yer missing out?" He asked softly, eyes closing as he tipped his head, palms together while he leaned his weight forward on his elbows.

Hoenn had offered him many unique opportunities during the past 2 years— yet, more often than not, it felt as if he were squandering his youth by choosing to stay in the region.

An entire world was open to him now; yet, he stuck to a tiny, dangerous island nation... because Rocket was there? It didn't make sense to him. But he still couldn't bring himself to leave.

But on the topic of that dangerous island nation... a smile gently tugged at his lips at the future politician's hopeful words, burying the cynicism he knew wasn't like him in his chest and taking the refreshing words at face value.

He would rather believe she was being trustful, no matter how idealistic it all sounded.

"Those are some lovely words, Ms. Babineaux." He said, his eyes twinkling mischievously as he leaned his head onto his palm, grinning. "If you don't mind me asking... have you given your political platform any form, yet?"

She was a college student; that alone meant she probably had her own politics leaned towards, be it left or right leaning. But furthermore, she was a politics major. This woman lived and breathed politics...

That was very interesting to him.

"I've been readin' a bit on related subject matters— getting acquainted with Miss 's own politics from these past 4 years, recently... among other things." He said as he casually slid the little red book closer to himself.

He wondered if the commissioner would be re-elected... not that she had been elected in the first place, but he thought she had good chances; might well be the best choice, even. "Just wonderin' where yer own politics fall."

Whatever anyone said about the 'competency' of the league, it was a simple fact that Dahlia's government had faced catastrophes never before seen head on and triumphed over each and every one of them for four years straight.

If Hoenn was any smart, which admittedly, it almost never was, it would know what was good for itself and allow a good captain to stay at the ship's helm.
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights