thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2022 7:52:23 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin shakes his head.

"I've got plenty of proteges, but I'm not looking for a successor."

That would indicate an end to his reign as underboss of Rocket — would suggest, on some level, that such a thing were possible. He won't so much as entertain the possibility of his death or deposition. He is not immortal, but neither is he old or infirm.

"You could say I'm a... talent agent, of sorts." His lips curl into a smirk, the mask shifting with his expression. Recruiter would be more apt, though that would skirt too close to the truth. "So curiosity comes naturally."

He was always looking to expand Rocket's ranks; it was part of his role as underboss.

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
Civilian of dubious means
If you want to be strong, learn to fight alone!
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2022 15:44:42 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Oh? Well, guess that shouldn't be too surprising. But what was said next made his eyebrows raise. "So, a recruiter then. So, whatcha' look'in for? I do have two part time jobs that are pretty seasonal, but I do like them enough..." If what the guy was looking for could work around those, and hopefully any other interests he might gain, it could be promising enough. "But if the pros are worth it, I would quit them." So long as the cons weren't too bad. He wouldn't kill if he could help it. But robbing and/or theft is something he can do. Well, has done. At the least, a stable shelter would be very nice.

Afterall, he was homeless, and relied a lot on abandoned warehouses or storefronts for his shelter, and often sneak into work out gyms for basic amenities. Or the kindess of hotel staff that he would help out on occasion. If he was required to battle, he would...he'd been in some fights. Might not be the greatest battler, but he has held his own. But he also needed to know what the guy was looking for in a recruit.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 12, 2022 17:07:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I'll let you draw such conclusions on your own." He wasn't going to come right out and state, "I'm a recruiter for Team Rocket," because without further vetting this kid's reliability, it could put Gavin in a dangerous position. He'd stepped away from the thickest parts of the crowd, out of earshot but certainly not out of line of sight. And if the kid were to call out in any way, it wouldn't be difficult for them to be heard.

Still, just in case, Gavin's fingers close lightly around a pokeball at his waist. A quick escape, should he need one.

"If you have reliable income, that may be preferable to whatever I could offer you." He'd rather not see a kid join Rocket unless it was a last resort. He made exceptions on a case-by-case basis in his own recruiting. comes to mind with a twinge of sorrow. "Where are you staying?"

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
Civilian of dubious means
If you want to be strong, learn to fight alone!
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2022 21:20:52 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Well, that made sense, particularly in this crowd, even if they weren't particularly close, anyone could be eavesdropping. Plus, the old man didn't know him. Didn't know one, how reliable he was, and two, how trustworthy he was. Trust may works both ways, but some things can only be done more privately. The man started to move away. Curiously, he followed the man. After hearing the comment, Asher did freeze. He did like the bakery he worked at, plus one of the hotsprings in Lavaridge Town. But they didn't keep him and his Pokemon fed, nor did they keep a roof over his head for long. If he wanted some form of comfort...maybe, Arceus forbid, some actual human comradarie, this may be it. After being asked where he was staying, Asher shrugged. "My jobs don't keep me and my Pokemon fed, nor do they let me keep a roof over my head. I'm homeless, relying on abandoned warehouses and shops in the Outskirts. Not exactly the safest of places, but shouldn't be an issue for a big shot like yourself. Hell, I managed to survive there this long. Just ask around about a kid with an Alolan Marowak that's oddly colored. Oh, and the kid has red hair and a fiesty attitude. I'm not famous or anything, but most people tend to figure out pretty quickly who you're referring to, and most at least know about where I'm located. Name's Asher Beran, if you need it, not that anyone is likely to know it there...I keep to myself most of the time. There's a fixer that's on the corner of Wall and Green streets that I frequent for odd jobs. I tend to get housing information from him. But since I'm off for the next four days, I'll be visiting frequently for jobs. If you can leave a message with him or just wait around for me, I'm usually there around eight-thirty to nine in the morning. He may charge you to deliver the message, but I don't know, I think you can intimidate him enough to deliver it for free. Assuming you're not just hanging around there waiting for me. Sound good?" Hopefully that was enough...and he may actually get a stable income...even if it wasn't the most legal of means...

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2022 22:08:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Homeless. As Gavin has assumed, but was now confirmed.

There's a weight in the pit of his stomach that goes ignored. It was hard to stomach the idea of kids in Rocket when he thought of those like , but was it colder to turn them away when they needed the money? There was no need for it to turn to a career of violence. They were changing things, in Rocket. He was changing things. Not all of them were murderers.

In particular, he thinks of his brother . How much it had torn him up to so much as take the life of a Pokémon. He hasn't killed a man, though. He hasn't been forced to kill anyone. The Machamp in Sootopolis had been an unfortunate accident; not that Declan Walsh had been aware, given that it was the grounds for Rowan's accreditation and promotion to Beast.

"I'd prefer to involve no other in our communications." Middle-men got messy when they weren't aligned with the organization. "Do you know of somewhere we might meet without, mm, prying eyes?"

He casts a meaningful look around the Night Market.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights