Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
Civilian of dubious means
If you want to be strong, learn to fight alone!
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 18, 2022 21:23:53 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher Beran was out in the Night Market Bazaar. There was some sort of celebration going on or something, it was a more festive air than normal. The blazing red head wore a fox mask with his yellow T-shirt and ill fitting black trousers with a red cloth-like belt. Worn blue shoes rounded his outfit along with three pokeballs at his waist in an old holder that he had found when dumpster diving one day. While he was partially out here to enjoy the extra festive air, he was also here to get some of that sweet sweet dollar signs. Sadly, in the only way he knew how. Theft.

And so far, he hadn't had many good targets. A whopping two wallets. Whoo hoo. One had a mere five pokedollars in it, the rest being cards. Pfft, those were risky to use. The second one was only marginally better, with twenty pokedollars in it. At least he could buy himself some snacks. But enjoying anything else was practically a no go. But someone did catch his notice. He didn't know why, but he had a gut feeling that they had a lot of money stashed in a wallet. What the heck, in this crowd, who would know that he was stalking someone, just waiting to see where they kept their money and lifting it off of them? Let alone who would suspect a kid? Asher set off to stalk his prey...
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2022 10:15:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As it happened, Gavin does exude an aura of certain wealth. Perhaps it's his fine festival attire, or even simply the way he carries himself. In a civilian disguise, he's not recognizable as wanted terrorist Gavin Merlino. He's only another attendee looking for a good time.

Unfortunately, since he is a criminal, he's quick to notice when he's being followed.

He doesn't let on right away. He continues about his 'business', buying food from a market staff, adjusting his Blaziken mask, stopping to text someone on his phone. Let the kid think his guard is down, before...

He turns around when they're close enough and tilts his head.

"I do hope you're not following me."

DUO WILD
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 1:49:09 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher tried to find some easy targets on the way towards the man, but no luck. As it happens, he spotted the man buying some food, putting his wallet within easy reach of the boy. Oh, this was going to be good. At first, he slowly moved in, hoping the Vulpix mask hid his eyes enough so no one would know where he was looking at. As the man adjusted his Blaziken mask and started to text, Asher moved in for the swipe. But as he got close...something didn't feel right. Just as he decided at the last minute to think better of it, the man suddenly turned around and told him that he hoped that Ash wasn't following him. He'd long been had?!

But if nothing else, the red head thought quickly. "What? Ew, why would I follow a disgusting old man?! Weirdo..." He continued to walk. Oh, but he was going to rob the guy. Well...since the guy had long spotted him...maybe it was best to see if the man had any jobs that he could take? Guess he just need to keep an eye on the guy and see what more he can glean from him. Seeing a prime opportunity though, he snagged a wallet from an unsuspecting couple. Moving on, he stayed in the shadows, going through the wallet's contents as he kept an eye on the man. Maybe the guy would actually let his guard down if he ignored him long enough? Well, whatever the case, he was a big fish...too big for Asher to ignore.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 14:08:29 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Asher won't be able to see the amused smile that curls behind the mask.

"And how do you know how old I am, hm?"

Gavin's voice is deep, with a gravel in its edges thanks to years of smoking cigarettes. Other features are hidden by the mask, by the flowing festival garb. He's tall, that much can't be hidden by choice of attire.

He watches as Asher stalks off, snagging a wallet on the way. He reminds Gavin of a stray dog guarding its kill as he sneaks glances up at his would-be mark while rifling through that wallets contents. Though it was clear that Gavin had seen the crime take place, he does not shout or otherwise make a move to alert authorities or even the couple who'd just been robbed.

Unfortunately for Asher, Gavin does not let his guard down, nor does he ignore him.

He approaches.

"No one with real money carries cash, these days." He pulls out his wallet and shows its contents. A few stray bills for small purchases, but not the wad that Asher might've been expecting. "You ought to pick your marks more carefully, besides. I am not the sort you'd want to steal from."

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 0:41:16 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher ignored the old man and continued on his way. Sadly, as he was ruffling through his catch, the man actually caught him off guard. After the comment, as if to prove a point, the man emptied his wallet...definitely not much. And then mentioned a threat. Snorting and looking at the guy up and down, the boy responded. "A lot of people claim that. And yet, they're full of shit, and nothing happens outside of me getting a few bruises and them getting a lot more bruises. The only thing in your favor, was that I did get a bad feeling and decided against it at the last minute, so you might not be full of shit. That said, if you have some odd jobs a kid like me can do...I don't mind earning money more legitimately...just not many places will hire a kid." Let alone full time, nor enough to maybe live off of.

That said, he was no prostitute, or anything of the like. He had delivered questionable goods for Rocket and others before. And he was careful himself, and his Alolan Marowak made sure he was safe. They did occasionally get over their heads, but they'd been lucky so far. Maybe his luck just got a little better? Hopefully not worse...

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 14:01:27 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin actually laughs, a deep and rich sound.

"I would recommend against trying to fight me, kid."

He's armed, in more ways than one. There's a brief flash of steel as he shows one of the knives hidden among the thick festival fabrics. He has a gun, as well, and an entire belt full of pokeballs. His Pokemon would rip this poor kid to shreds.

"I am not what you'd call a legitimate businessman." His amber eyes, the only thing visible behind the mask, seem to gleam with humour. "Do you think I'd have spotted you out if I were?"

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 16:22:11 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher likewise showed off his tanto dagger. Granted, it was his only weapon. It also revealed three pokeballs. "Granted, you'd still win, but people will know you've been in a fight. I'm quite fiesty." Considering he's beaten up some adults, and not fatties, but actual, in shape people that knew how to throw a punch, he did strike above his weight class. Still, he knew when he was outmatched. He had developed some survival instincts after all. Though he did snort at the next few comments. "I've met a couple legitimate businessmen and women with good instincts. I wouldn't count all of them out. Again though, I did get a bad feeling and was about to back off when you turned suddenly and called me out."

Collecting the few bills and loose change that came out of the guy's wallet he waved them at their original owner, as if asking if he wanted the pocket change back. If not, he'd pocket them. "What makes you think all I do is legitimate jobs? You did just catch me committing petty theft. I do have a few lines that I won't cross, but I have done some odd jobs from Rocket before. Nothing big or anything. But I'm not exactly looking for big anyways." He half wondered if the man actually might turn into a good contact or not. Or if the guy was just amused by Ash. Well, hopefully the next round of responses will give him a more solid conclusion.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 16:31:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The balls on this one. It reminds Gavin of what he was like as a teenager, all puffed up arrogance. The memory is tinged with the melancholy of knowledge and experience, of time.

He flicks his wrist dismissively when the kid waves the money around. Pocket change.

"I don't mind earning money more legitimately," Gavin says, parroting. "Your words, not mine. I'm not implying you're above baser methods... obviously." He gestures vaguely at the wallets the kid had stolen.

When he mentions Rocket, the mood shifts.

"Rocket, hm? How do you know the jobs were from them?"

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 21:42:15 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Well, at least the guy didn't seem to mind him and his methods. Though the question about Rocket was a good one. "Hmmm...admittedly, a few didn't seem like Rockets. Or at least didn't give off that vibe. Some of the others did, roping in a person or two to do some small job so they could go home earlier. I can give some names of these grunts, assuming you're a Rocket yourself. You don't give off the vibe of some undercover cop or even a bad cop. Yes, I'm mostly going by my gut. It's not always right, but it's kept me alive this long..." He may not be a snitch, but the guy did bring up an interesting point. They usually didn't have anything identifying them except in large-scale operations.

Maybe some other types. But he wouldn't know.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 23:12:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin laughs. "Do Rocket have a 'vibe'? What vibe is that?"

He feels like an old man, questioning a teenager about vibes, but it's genuine interest that spurs the question. How were Rocket perceived to the youth? He had no interest in targeting propaganda toward them — quite the opposite — but he was curious.

Assuming you're a Rocket yourself. Yes, that would be quite the assumption, wouldn't it? Yet Gavin doesn't deny it, and the glimmer in his eyes suggests he might be smirking behind the mask.

"I am not a cop," he affirms. "Nor am I a grunt."

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2022 0:41:52 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
The guy laughed again. This time though...what was so rediculous about that? Puffing up and crossing his arms, he stared at the man. Asher noticed a certain glimmer in the eyes, like he was smirking behind that Blaziken mask. Was this puffery? The guy shitting with him? Or was this more...legit. And he had an actual higher up on the Rocket food chain here. But was that luck? And if so...what kind? He even confirmed that he wasn't a cop, nor a grunt. Quite the insinuation there, wasn't it. "Then what are you? And what about me has you so interested in such a tiny ass fish?"

That was risky. Bold as he was, he was ready to run if he had to. Unless Ash amused the guy some more with that line of questioning. Not that he kept the cliff notes version of what happened a secret, he had no problem letting people know he was, by and large, an orphan, forced out of his home to stowaway on a ship to here. With sacks of crap for parents and twin, and the only friends he had being his Pokemon.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Apr 28, 2022 18:38:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
What are you?

Such a simple question, but never one with an easy answer.

I am Rocket, he thinks. There is no separating the man from the entity that had molded him into this design.

"Someone you definitely shouldn't have picked for a mark." The smirk is in his voice, now, easily heard. "But I'll let that go."

Rocket was no place for children, but some of them had nowhere else to go. He thinks of and , of @piper and , and of countless others who'd turned to them as their last resort. Was this kid one of those?

"Do you do it for the rush?" he wonders. "Or because you have to?"

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON May 9, 2022 16:47:16 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher rolled his eyes. Was the guy deaf? He decided agaisnt it at the last minute. But he didn't say anything. If the guy didn't pay attention to the first two times he said it, what good would repeating it a third time do. What did catch him off guard was the question. He did like the rush of doing something exciting. But petty theft was hardly something he did for the thrill of it. He didn't have to think about it. "Because I have to. Pieces of shit parents that couldn't care less and a twin brother that took all of their affection and belittled me garunteed that. I left that crappy life in Alola. Even though I struggle here, it's eons better than staying with them!" He was bitter. And hoped that someday he can show them up. Or the opportunity to beat the crap out of his brother at the least.

"Why do you care? I don't want any pity from anyone, so if it's that, shove off." Asher was about to start to run away. What did this big shot want with him?

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2022 22:55:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
A noise of disgust rises in the back of Gavin's throat.

"Pity? No. Curiosity, is all."

If Asher runs, Gavin won't stop him. Though he isn't opposed to taking wayward Rockets under his wing and sharpening their skillset into something the organization can be proud of, he doesn't often seek out the role of mentor. Rather, he lets his potential students come to him.

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Night Market Enjoyment!
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2022 20:15:53 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
The noise of disgust stopped Asher from just running. Curiosity was what interested the guy. And purely that. Standing there, staring at the guy, Asher couldn't tell what he wanted. "Curiosity huh...looking for a potential successor or something?" Some people didn't have kids, but still wanted some kind successor, and didn't mind picking young minds to mold them into such. At least, that's what he'd seen in what little TV he's watched. Even if it wasn't completely true, it wouldn't surprise him if someone wanted a student. Someone to carry on their legacy.

But Asher didn't know the guy, let alone his legacy. Just that he talked a big game, and that it likely wasn't all talk like some people. And was it what he really wanted? If this guy was a big wig in Rocket, did he really want to get involved with people like that intimately? Overall, there's stories, some League propoganda, some truth, and so on. But then again...if his life improved...would it matter?

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights