awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON May 13, 2022 8:16:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Right in the backyard—well, there was a gym around the little town, however the caveat here was that there were no non-traditional challenges.

(Oh, dear Weather trio, save him.)

Most of his gym victories were obtained via non-traditional means, so this clearly meant he was lacking in the ‘traditional’ battle sense—he wondered if he could still manage an actual ‘battle’ no holds barred, just straight up fighting and no other weird stuff tied to it.

Here he was—once again.

It was… time for the second (and hopefully last) attempt for this badge.

Taking a deep breath, he then made his way inside the gym proper.

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON May 16, 2022 3:11:20 GMT
noah faber Avatar
"oh hey lars!"

pulling his elbow away from the reception counter, the gym leader is quick to greet the head ranger. noah is unsure if they've formally met; however, the shortened name has been tossed around in conversation enough for him to blurt it.

"you're right on time." noah jabs a thumb toward the heavy double doors in the back. "follow me."

should laurence do so, noah would bring him past those doors. a long hallway leads to the arena where the caged ring awaits.

on the way, he asks, "so! why'd you decide to challenge this gym?"

tl;dr and notes

POGGY

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON May 20, 2022 8:18:56 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Following the other’s lead, he took a deep breath—going through the double doors in the back before seeing the caged arena.

Were they going to have a Wrestlemania match in there?

And then he was thrown a question, to which he had this answer—

“It’s just to show that anyone can do it, regardless of position or whatever circumstance that’s available.”

Was he wanting to challenge the Elite four? That was an idea distant on the horizon, but for now, he was just here, trucking through whatever circumstances would be thrown his way.

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 7:03:52 GMT
noah faber Avatar
"show that anyone can do it?" noah raises a brow. a half-smile emerges, its curling edge tucked into his cheek like a vulpix's tail. "not sure if that line of reasoning works if you're a head ranger... and an avatar, man."

eventually, they enter the arena. in the middle, a caged ring shows itself, bathed in powerful pillars of stage light. on the side furthest away from the door they entered by, noah positions himself on a small elevated stage.

"alright, mr. anderson! if you can show me that you can hold your own in close quarters combat, you'll get my badge!" with a grunt, noah hurls a pokeball at the metal fencing. it cracks open and a red bolt of light is spat onto the canvas.

from the red, noah's falinks emerge in practiced formation, their small feet marching in place.

"ready whenever you are!"

a boxing bell would ring to signify the start of their clash.

tl;dr and notes

+ falinks sent out
you can have first move!

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2022 2:04:28 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I’ve been on my journey challenging gyms even before I became what I am now. It wouldn’t make sense if I didn’t finish what I already started. Besides, I’m already in too deep to stop,” he mused, before reaching for a particular shrunken-down marble.

Once popped to full size, he then sent out his ever-reliable Metagross, Ro, to face the—well that was interesting.

Huh. Wonder if that’s one of those Pokémon from the Galar region? he thought as he saw the six-in-one take the stage from the opposite side of the squared circle.

“Ready now,” he said quietly, and the Metagross let out a singular grating noise, before charging forward in an attempt to Meteor Mash the Falinks before they got moving—

Having all of them together was dangerous, for sure.

Metagross used Meteor Mash!

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2022 18:45:17 GMT
noah faber Avatar
"so you're sorta like a completionist, yea?" noah rubs his nose. "sorta like kyle with his games."

the bell clangs, and the light intensifies against metal and armored shell.

"FIRST IMPRESSION! one up it!" noah hollers.

while the falinks follow their brass with absolute dedication, they know when to flatten the hierarchy for unification. with sudden speed, they seem to disappear.

but within a blink's face, they remerge. angled closer to the underbelly of the metagross, they spring forth together for a possible, powerful bash.

tl;dr and notes

+ falinks uses FIRST IMPRESSION to match METEOR MASH or catch METAGROSS off-guard with the move's resounding speed.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2022 17:08:07 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Yeah, you can compare it to that,” he nodded—keeping an eye on what was happening within the space.

Fast and furious; that was the tempo of the match—as the six seemed to disappear, literally closing the distance and appearing from what was like multiple directions.

The singular red eye caught a flicker of movement; while letting the first strike crash against his underside; there was a reason for this—a sudden burst of Telekinetic energy emanated from the shining silver beast; an attempt to raise the six-in-one up and off from the ground—

To make them easier to hit on the next few turns!

“How long have you had your Pokémon?” he asked the other.

Metagross takes the First Impression hit; before winding up and attempting to lift the Falinks up using Telekinesis! (1 / 3)

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2022 4:37:02 GMT
noah faber Avatar
"awhile! my hariyama was the first pokemon i caught in hoenn!"

the falinks waddle their little feet in the air. lifted from the ground, their formation is broken, spread into a constellation of small, spherical fighters.

noah unclenches his teeth. casts his hand toward his falinks as like throwing a net.

"spread out as much as you can! wiggle wide!" the further apart they are, understandably, noah believes, the harder the metagross must work to hold its telekinesis.

and so, they shift and squirm. they create space between themselves within the invisible membrane of psychic power.

tl;dr and notes

+ falinks trying to spread out as much as possible to weaken the hold of TELEKINESIS

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2022 17:11:44 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Now I can’t wait to meet your Hariyama,” he said from the other side, before giving Ro a certain eyebrow point.

“But that’s going to be much later, right?” he added with a grin as the Metagross’s red eyes followed the scattered ‘pieces’ of the Falinks, trying to put as much distance between themselves as possible after they’d been hoisted up.

Oh no. Not on Ro’s watch, they weren’t.

With barely a shift in the air, a burst of rainbow-colored Psychic energy came erupting from above the Metagross, an attempt to slam it into the squirming, wiggling Falinks and hopefully hold them together—

Ro know he had to move fast, because Telekinesis didn’t last as long as he’d want it to, and because the next part of the strategy involved—

The shining silver beast then moved forward, beady red eyes still affixed on the leader of the ‘pack’. Or battalion, as it were.

Metagross then materializes a blast of Psychic energy and attempts to slam it down on the squirming Falinks!

Telekinesis in effect! (2 / 3)

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 9:50:33 GMT
noah faber Avatar
"maybe so!" noah shouts.

the falinks wriggle around; however, despite their diffusion, the brass, their leader maintains the peak of their scattered formation. like a lightning rod, its spartan crest defies the psychic decree.

"PROTECT!"

a shimmering screen emerges from the helmet's peak. psychic energy blasts across its pane, causing a myriad of color to spread in glimmering waves.

noah just had to bide a little more time.

tl;dr and notes

+ falinks PROTECTs.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 17:28:20 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The burst of rainbow-colored energy bounced harmlessly off—

Aha.

But of course, being versed in the art of protection moves, Lars knew that the other couldn’t use it a second time in a row—unless if there was a Z-Move, then that would throw him off his game.

“Ro! Move!”

The only words he needed to say. The Telekinetic force holding up the six segments was weakening, and he had to go fast. Bracing three of his legs into the floor, the Metagross reared up one of his front legs—

And attempted to aim a solid, Meteor Mash attack right at the head of the six.

(Knock the leader down, the followers lost direction. At least that’s how he knew stuff like this would go.)

Metagross’s attack is deflected! Telekinesis is wearing off on the next turn, so taking advantage of the opening Metagross then used Meteor Mash, aiming for the leader of the Falinks pack!

Telekinesis in effect! (3 / 3)

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 19:50:37 GMT
noah faber Avatar
"NO RETREAT, then COUNTER!"

although they are scattered like the points of some fate-touched constellation, they do not panic. they suddenly stand to attention in the psychic quagmire. their individual bodies flare as their bulk, agility and strength are enhanced.

the METEOR MASH still lands on the solitary leader; however, the brass strikes back like a cannonball attached to a pendulum. a COUNTER strikes the METAGROSS and the TELEKINESIS fades.

the helmeted spartan falls. when it lands, its UNCONSCIOUS body rolls off to the side.

but noah still has a smile on his face. the falinks reassemble without their leader, still poised.

"this isn't a falinks you find in the wild." noah says. "it's one trained by me!"

tl;dr and notes

+ falinks NO RETREAT / brass COUNTERS metagross
+ leader falinks faints

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 17:37:34 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Just how strong was Ro?

With one Counter from earlier and a second one just now, he was sure that the shining silver beast was barely hanging on—was it going to be a draw?

Not for him, though, as a loud, grating noise similar to a phone line cutting out rings through the space, making him flinch for a few seconds before the Metagross folded under the weight of his legs due to the force of the impact.

“Oof,” he hissed as he recalled the Metagross. At least he knew how much damage the other could take…

“And now it’s my turn once more,” as this time a Safari Ball is popped open to full-size and his Gardevoir, Lynette, emerged from within.

No words are needed as the Gardevoir’s eyes flare, before a chunk of rainbow-colored Psychic energy is chucked forward.

At the same time, she prepared a Moonblast just in case the other Pokémon hung on tenaciously.

• Metagross fainted!
• Gardevoir is now out on the field, aims a Psychic blast at the Falinks. Just in case, a Moonblast is prepared should the other Pokémon still get up even after the first attack.

close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,523 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 4:15:19 GMT
noah faber Avatar
noah cheers praise for his FALINKS. they strut in place, little feet rising and falling like jousting spears. but it is clear they're on their last legs. literally.

with the brass fainted, the remaining units are left vulnerable. a PSYCHIC descends, and while the FALINKS attempt to disperse on the gym leader's command, a GARDEVOIR is difficult to evade.

an eruption of energy blooms from the center of the ring, and in its pistil, lay noah's fainted FALINKS.

"thanks. all of you did great." the gym leader says as he recalls them. he pats the pokeball before casting his second.

a hariyama emerges, palms out in combatative posture.

"love what you're showing me lars! keep it up." noah says. "if you can."

his hariyama advances swift, a SURF carrying it closer to the GARDEVOIR on a tall wave.

tl;dr and notes

+ falinks faints
+ hariyama uses SURF to get closer to gardevoir (TALL WAVE)

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
round two [gym]
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 3:54:02 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Now they were evenly matched—and then the Hariyama decided to pull off a ‘dynamic entry’-styled entrance by riding a tall wave of water.

Lars could only guess what he was planning at the incoming attack, before Lynette looked up and decided to take matters into her own hands.

“I trust you, Lyn,” was all he said from his side of the field, eyes still staring up at the goddamned wave of water as the Gardevoir gathered a burst of lunar energy—

And fired off a Moonblast coming up from the bottom, aiming to try and knock the Hariyama down and off the wave of towering water!

• Gardevoir is out on the field!
• Gardevoir stares up at the incoming tall wave of water, before gathering a burst of Moonblast in an attempt to knock the Hariyama down from the wall of water!