Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
Civilian of dubious means
If you want to be strong, learn to fight alone!
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Coordinator in the Making! (open)
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2022 2:01:36 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher couldn't believe just teleported him to Lilycove! Without any of his stuff. It was a bit irresponsible. On the other hand...well, he was able to get in on the festivities, steal a good amount of cash, get more clothes, and manage to keep himself out of trouble for now. Best part...he wasn't stranded here, as he was able to get a gig on a cruise ship heading towards Slateport in a few days. Free food, a room, even if he had to share with one other person. But it was what it was, and a legit job was certainly better than nothing. But he had work to do! After securing tickets to see the Pokemon Contest, he couldn't help but be enamored by everyone's performances.

He was more excited than he had been in years about something. Even more than the prospect of maybe hopefully getting his twin into trouble. The costumes still remained a problem, but might as well try out some routine ideas he had. First up was Fletcher. Being on a beach and near the water with a bunch of fire types actually worked in his favor...since you know, water put out fire. For safety reasons, this is why he decided to train on a beach. He had started with Fletcher be because she seemed like the easiest routine to come up with. Starting with Flame Charge, he had her go to build up speed, eventually going in a circle pattern, hopefully leaving a trailing flame that'll last long enough for what he had in mind next. Dashing away from the ring of fire, Fletcher turned back towards it to go through the make shift ring. Only to use Ember to splatter the ring, and her using Aerial Ace for better precision.  Going through the ring just as it exploded around her, illuminating her own natural flame body, Fletcher the Fletchinder looked rather gorgeous.
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2022 4:38:17 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac's long week seemed to be getting longer by the day. Every time he thought he'd finally caught a break, more and more kept piling itself onto his plate. Well, you know what? No more! Not any longer! He was parking his butt in the beaches around Lilycove, he was wasting his day drifting around in an inner tube, and nobody was going to stop him!

[break][break]

For a while, Isaac's Pokemon followed his lead. Watson, his ever-present Totodile, was swimming behind him in large, listless circles. He was doing his best to relax, but as opposed to his far more weary trainer, the little croc was filled to the brim with energy. Even now, rather than letting the currents take him, he paddled his little feet quickly and restlessly.

[break][break]

It was a flash of flame from above that snapped Watson out of his aimless paddling. The Totodile bobbed in the water, watching with jaws agape as a flaming bird dove through an explosion in the sky. Okay, that was awesome! Way cooler than just sitting around and doing nothing! Filled with renewed spark, the Totodile paddled off, snaking through the water at great speeds to get closer to the spectacle.

[break][break]

Once it had arrived, the Totodile hopped out from the waters and sat down upon a nearby rock. He watched the coordinator-in-training and his firebird with bated breath, excited to see what happened next.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]234 WORDS /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2022 0:46:13 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
With a spin and burst, Fletcher almost looked like a mythical Pokemon. Or a legendary bird of some kind. The Aerial Ace wasn't completely accurate, it wasn't dead center. And so he had Fletcher to the same thing again, but with an attempted adjustment. It wasn't bad, but even though the desired effect is the same, it may look odd to the judges and audience if Fletcher didn't go through the center of the fire circle. After asking Fletcher if they got it down, and just needed that one little thing sorted out. The birb nodded and continued to practice. The red head had two other Pokemon though. Silky the Larvesta and Bones the "shiny" Alolan Marowak. He didn't know what to do with Silky though. Bones on the other hand...well, a dance!

Only problem...he didn't know the mechanics of Bonemerang that well, and his initial idea combined both that and Will-O-Wisp. Maybe Bone Rush, but that was more of a multi-attack...unless...well, maybe he could figure out how to incorporate, or even turn it into a dance? The idea was inspired by Melody when she showed him one of her contests involving a Mr. Rime. After talking to Bones a little bit, the ghost-fire type nodded and decided to try it out. Silky on the other hand...noticed that they had a new friend. Crawling on over, the Larvesta chirped and waved at the Tododile. Then started to talk to the water crocodile. The boy soon noticed it too, and while he kept a close eye on the two, left them alone. If the Pokemon wasn't doing any harm, why intervene?

A cry of distress distracted him to look over. Fletcher crashed! Panicking, Asher ran over and picked up the birb. Luckily, she was okay, just surprised. From what he could gather from her chirps and small demonstration, she tried to use Steel Wing to stabilize herself...but that didn't work out too well. But the important thing was that she wasn't hurt...

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2022 1:06:47 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]By this time, Watson was quite invested in the going-ons of this concert performance. By now he had taken a pair of shed Corsola branches that he had found in the water and was waving them around like glowsticks at an idol concert. When the Larvestra approached him, he excitedly barked in response, striking up a little conversation with the Larvesta. Everything was nice and peaceful, and the show was fantastic!

[break][break]

Or, at least, it was until the bird took a tumble. Watson let out a distressed squawk, dove into the water, and swam away full speed ahead. His destination; Isaac, who in all this time hadn't moved from his cozy little spot. He'd practically dozed off, the currently gently pushing him back and forward as he stared up at the bright blue skies. He didn't even notice Watson's rasping attempts at getting his attention. He didn't notice the gentle headbutts to the side he was receiving when those barks failed stir him.

[break][break]

But being flipped over? That sure got his notice!

[break][break]

Isaac coughed, sputtered, and spat out water as he popped back above the waves. "Ugh, what the heck, Watson?" Isaac started, but before he could voice his displeasure the croc was already taking off. Sighing, Isaac followed after him, wondering just what had gotten into the crocodile.

[break][break]

This was what brought Isaac over to the rest of the group. He and Watson arrived just in time to see the bird being scooped up, Watson pointing to it and letting out a series of distressed rasps. Fortunately, by now Asher had arrived onto the scene, and the bird was confirmed okay. Watson sighed in relief, but just in case walked up to the Fletchinder and gave it a pat on the head. It was a good bird! It worked hard!

[break][break]

After this, Watson pointed to Isaac, giving a bark of acknowledgment and pointing towards him. He then pointed to . . . the Larvesta. After all, Larvesta was the only one he'd directly spoken to today. He looked towards Isaac with an expectant gleam in his eyes. Was this really happening? Yes, this was really happening. Isaac sighed, rolling his eyes, before smiling at the Larvesta. "Nice to meet you, Larvesta," he said.

[break][break]

He then turned to the kid that was running this whole show. "And nice to meet you as well. I think Watson's really been liking the show you and your team were putting on," he said. "Your Fletchinder doing okay?"

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]414 WORDS /

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2022 23:54:16 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
The Tododile came back. With a human that was in an inner tube. The man walked up and gave the Fletchinder a pat on the head. Fletcher responded with a happy chirp and a wave of her wing. The Tododile barked and pointed at Silky, who waved one of her little arms at the group. The man finally spoke. And Asher responded. "That's Silky. She's a cutie." It was stated with such a matter of fact attitude one had to wonder about him. Then he spoke directly to the teenager, even asking if Fletcher was doing fine. "I'm Asher, and yeah, Fletcher is just fine. Just got scared." The Fletchinder hopped up and flew away to prove her trainer's point. Eventually landing on top of his head. "And that's Bones over there." The "shiny" Alolan Marowak side eyed the other trainer, still not sure what to make of him.

Asher was dressed in black capris and a yellow graphic T-shirt, his red shoes back where the rest of his newly aquired stuff was at. Still, it felt good to know that someone was enjoying his practice runs. The red head assumed Watson was the Tododile. "Thanks. I'm...trying to come up with routines so that when the next one comes around, I can enter it without trying to do something on the fly, especially since I've just recently got into contests. Practice makes perfect after all. By the way, who are you?" While he was sociable, Asher wasn't exactly naive either. He was homeless afterall. And had to survive in Slateport. Still, even with a name, he had to keep his guard up.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2022 3:22:09 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Okay, that was a relief. Isaac looked down at Watson, giving the Totodile an exasperated smile. "See? You totally worry too much." The Totodile huffed a little in response, before turning its eyes back to the skies to watch Fletcher go. He seemed like he was practically waiting for the show to start up anew so he could get back to cheering.

[break][break]

The rest of the team seemed to follow a similar theme, with a cute little Larvesta and a blue-bodied Marowak. As soon as a Bones was mentioned, a flash of light came from Isaac's pocket. His own Cubone, Duster, emerged uncalled. He looked the older member of his species up and down, the look in his eyes unreadable. Jealousy? Curiosity? Reverence? With Duster being such a closed book, it wasn't easy for Isaac to tell.

[break][break]

It seemed the quartet was there to try and come up with a routine for their next contest performance. It was a pretty recent decision, from the sound of it (and boy could Isaac sympathize, having only recently fallen into the current chapter of his own life). Clearly, improvising wasn't working, and so he was trying to tighten up his routines to make up for it.

[break][break]

Seeing the kid working so diligently towards his coordinator dreams felt too familiar to Isaac. He tried to shake the thought.

[break][break]

"Oh, right. I'm Isaac," he responded, realizing he'd forgotten the part where he introduced himself. Then again, it wasn't like he was planning on introducing himself to random strangers today. Even if their Pokemon, admittedly, had some sick moves. "I was just passing through when Watson saw Fletcher go down. Think it got him worried, and well, when Watson puts his mind to something half the time it feels like he's the one calling the shots here." Part of him figured that, now that the bird was okay, he'd just leave it at that and head back to the water.

[break][break]

Yet another part of him felt compelled to stay. Stupid core memories. "So. Whatcha got for the routine so far?" he asked. "Can't say I've done one of these myself. But I've been told I've got a pretty good eye for tips." It's just a shame he couldn't be back there to give them anymore.

[break][break]

Pah. Like they were even needed in the first place.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]389 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2022 0:37:42 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
The strange guy admonished his little Tododile, who huffed, and then watched Fletcher fly around no problem. Shortly afterwards, the guy's Cubone came out and stared Bones down. Who returned the stare. Who knows what was going on there, but so long as they didn't fight, Asher wasn't too worried about it. The blonde introduced himself as Isaac, a fairly generic name. Isaac then explained what he was doing, and explained his Tododile's behavior and tendencies. "Aww, that actually kinda cute. You're such a good boy, Watson!" He gave the Tododile a shining smile and a thumbs up. With that, he was ready to get back at it when Isaac asked him what he had so far. Even explaining that while he had no experience, seemed to have a good eye for tips.

"I'll show you what we got...but to be frank, I'm not sure how good of advice you can give if you've never done one. Not that I can talk, since I've never done one yet, either. But...anyways...Fletcher, you wanna go first?" The fire birb chirped happily, and started out with Flame Charge, first going straight, then a spiral, eventually forming a ring of fire. Slipping out of it, but the ring of fire still going, she lined herself up to go through it, firing Ember at the ring, timing it just right to let her go through in a dazzling array of embers around her, highlighting her Flame Body. With the precision, he wondered if she also used Aerial Ace...it looked better already.

Bones was next. Starting off with a simple Alolan dance, he then used Will-O-Wisp and Bonemerang for a literal ring of wisps around a bone that was circling him. Then using Shadow Bone, he knocked it up, scattering the wisps, caught the bone, then slammed it on the sand in a tough guy manner, ready to go. Or intimidate the shit out of someone. "That's really all I got for now."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2022 3:29:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Watson beamed from ear to ear at the compliment. He excitedly hopped up and down in place, making happy little rasps all the while. Isaac couldn't help but snicker at how cheery his starter was. "That's Watson for ya," he said, smiling despite himself. "Total scatterbrain. But he's got heart. Sometimes a little too much, if you ask me." Much as Isaac was gently roasting the croc, there was nothing but fondness in his voice. They really had a heck of a bond, huh?[break][break]

At the mention of advice, Isaac shrugged. "I may not've done one myself. But I've helped people set up for them in the past," he said. His little brother's junior league contest, for one. It was a moment he couldn't help but find himself coming back to as he watched these performances play out. Deja vu sure was a bitch, huh?[break][break]

Fletcher was up first, and Totodile's excitement only doubled at the reveal. He grabbed for the coral sticks again to start cheerleading the Fletchinder on as it went through that tried and true routine; spiral of flame, Ember to set off the fuse, Aerial Ace to stabilize its path through the ring as its Flame Body basked in the embers. "Honestly? I'm shocked you haven't done one of these yet," Isaac said as the performance came to a halt.[break][break]

Now it was time for the advice. Asher was right; this was going to be hard with how much less experience he had. But if he remembered some of the rambles Elliot went on . . . "It feels like a lot of people's first contest entry is shooting a ton of lasers to try and wow the judges with special effects. So you're already a step ahead of the pack by remembering this is a performance, too. Just enough flash to catch the judges' eyes, but you're keeping the attention on how fit and well-trained Fletcher here is," he said.[break][break]

"Honestly? If I'd add anything here, maybe some kind of dive bomb?" Isaac seemed a little bit shakier now that it was coming time for innovations, but dangit, he knew he had to try. "It'd be a good way to show that control, swooping down right in front of the judges without putting them in any actual danger. And it'd also give them a great up close look at Fletcher while they're all ember'd up. I know they already get a good look during the first round, but that extra glow should really add a bit more visual edge. And it'll put Fletcher right back in the front of the judges' minds."[break][break]

My, my, was that a bit of an underhanded tactic there? Maybe Isaac had some hustle to him after all.[break][break]

Next was the Marowak, and Watson wasn't the only one getting worked up this time. From the sidelines, Duster tried his best to follow along with the moves, albeit with little success. His bone spun slower, and the only special effects accompanying it were the occasional cloud of dust. The Cubone seemed a little frustrated with itself, letting the bone clatter to the ground at the end. It instead settled for watching the superior evolution's performance, a far-off look in its eyes.[break][break]

"If Fletcher's Cool, then Bones is Tough, right?" Isaac observed. Elliot was always talking about how the categories were really more concepts than hard-drawn lines, but it was easier for Isaac to understand this way, dangit. "And, yeah. Hell if I'd want to be on the wrong end of that glare. Guy's got some killer presence, and that can make or break a routine. I mean, imagine Watson doing the same thing. Bet it'd be a lot less scary." Sure, Watson had fangs for days, but he'd also lost a fight to one of those rubber clown toys once, so Isaac was incapable of finding him intimidating in the slightest.[break][break]

"I feel like you've got a good core going on. Hit some music in the background to match up with his movements, and you're like most of the way there. Maybe another attack or two in between, as a bridge?" Isaac wondered. "Like, does he know Earth Power or something like that? Cracking out some big magma-spewing fissures in time with the beat would make it even more clear that Bones isn't someone to mess with."[break][break]

Phew! That was a lot. Isaac could feel his brain smoking and turning just from the effort. But . . . in a way, it felt nice helping with this kind of thing again.[break][break]

A shame he didn't when it counted most.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]767 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2022 20:08:27 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher can hear the fondness that Isaac had for his excitable buddy. Still agreeing to give his opinion, Isaac went on. He was surprised to hear that Isaac was actually kind of impressed. The red head could see Isaac's point that too many people just spam attacks, and not do an actual performance or routine. But considering his inspiration...well, it seemed he learned a lot from it. A dive bomb of some sort might be a better idea for a bigger bang or force the attention even more on Fletcher. Nodding, he tucked away that mental note for later. Nice thing about sand was that it did pad well. The biggest issue with that idea was the landing. Hitting hard enough to cause a scene, but not so hard as to hurt Fletcher.

Fletcher wasn't just cool though, she beautiful. But Bones was absolutely tough. Chuckling about the Tododile, he paid attention to what Isaac had to say. A good core feeling for it, but maybe an additional move and music to go with the movements. Well, that problem needed money. Something that he was very tight on. The additional move...well..."Sadly, Bones has Double-Edge and Flare Blitz. And with his Rock Head, he doesn't take recoil damage. Otherwise, Bone Rush for the actual dance, Bonemerang and Will-O-Wisp for the in between, and then Shadow Bone for the interruption and finale. I do see your point about it feeling a tad weak though...maybe combining Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone for the finale might be better." And flashier maybe...

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2022 20:58:20 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]No recoil damage, huh? That leaned into the tough thing quite nicely. "Oh, that's perfect," Isaac said. "I can see it now. Same bit. Throw the bone up, send it spiraling in the air. But instead of waiting for it to come down, jumping up to meet it. Then catching it, launching down with a Flare Blitz, and landing without a scratch on him. Pretty neat idea, huh?" Isaac said. It was ultimately the same sort of performance, just with a little bit more pizzazz at the end. Sometimes, that went a long way.[break][break]

With that said, it seemed like his advice went over pretty well! Maybe Isaac was better at this kinda thing than he thought. Maybe, just maybe . . . nah. God knows he's been spreading himself thin in way too many directions as is. Was this what it was like actually having potential? Shit, where was this feeling years ago!? It would've saved him so much trouble![break][break]

"Fire types your thing, I'm guessing?" Isaac found himself saying. Sticking around wasn't originally on the docket today, but, fuck it. Watson clearly enjoyed being around here, and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't having a hell of a time watching the performances so far. Who knows? Maybe after this performance break, he'd even get to see some of his own ideas put into practice.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]228 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 0:49:27 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Isaac seemed to have the same idea. "Yeah, I was thinking the same thing there. So, it's mostly just music and fine tuning the timing...may have to refresh my memory and Alolan dances..." One of the few good memories he had was participating in some of the festivals as a dancer. But even he had to bail out a couple years ago no thanks to his twin pushing him down and breaking his wrist. Bones had evolved then, and took his place that year. The red head was snapped out of it when Isaac mentioned fire-types.

Well, wasn't this a tricky question. "Somewhat? I did...recently catch...a Zubat, Arbok, and Thievul...but yeah, fire types are my favorite as a whole." Dark types were cool too, but he wasn't a complete fan of poison types. But Zubat he did find kind of cool, and Arbok...well, they were injured, and deserved better. They joined him of their own will.

Bones had noticed the Cubone attempt to keep up. Even while Asher and Isaac were talking, Bones was remembering his own past. Walking up to the Cubone, he picked up the dropped bone, grabbed Duster's hand, and put the bone in the Pokemon's hand. Bones and Asher always fought. They learned to be strong by fighting alone, so that when they were together, they were stronger still. Both of them had gotten injured a lot by getting into fights...but they never gave up. This new dream...it was kind of fun. Bones started to give some advice to the younger Pokemon. On how to throw the bone to get it to spin similarly to his own. But also warned that since his bone had changed shape when he evolved, he had to modify it to how he currently threw it. Hopefully the Cubone would try to throw it again, but Bones would stop and correct the stance a little, and give encouragement to the little Pokemon.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 4:52:11 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"That's the spirit," Isaac said, an easygoing grin spreading across his face. "Thinking up new ideas is always important. But practice is what takes a good idea and shapes it into a great one."[break][break]

With that, Isaac took his first bold steps into "do what I say, no what I do" territory. But what else was he supposed to say? That he flies by the seat of his pants and improvises his ass off to surprising results? Sure, it's been working out for him so far. But it was A) awful advice and B) bound to stop working out for him soon. He couldn't keep running from his own misfortune forever.[break][break]

It sounded like the kid was the half-and-half type. He picked a favorite, but didn't let it define him. Practical, but personalized. An elegant style. "Not bad," Isaac said. "Especially as a coordinator, I bet it gives the crowd an idea of what to expect. Y'know, the signature on your performance. Then you can play into it to get your fans hyped up for the Usual Routine . . . or, every once in a while, throw a curveball to leave 'em all shocked."[break][break]

Shit, what would his signature be, if he were to perform? "I could never pick a favorite," Isaac admitted. "Though with how often I get jumped by a steel type trying to prove itself, you'd think I was made of magnets oe something![break][break]

As the older human counseled the younger, so too did the older Marowak do the same for the younger Cubone. Duster's annoyance ebbed away as the Marowak demonstrated its complicated spinning motions, both with its own bone and through showing Duster how to work with his. Duster studied the movements intently, replicating each motion to the best of his ability. His spins were slower, his rotations were clumsier, and he didn't quite capture the aura of grace and menace. But he was doing his best! Finally, with one last big, sweeping spin, Duster flung the bone into the air.[break][break]

Was that a wisp of shadow coming off of it? Nah. Couldn't be.[break][break]

Triunphant, Duster held a hand up, ready to catch the bone. A CLONK! to the head confirmed that he wasn't quite in position. Duster hunched down in a daze, rubbing the spot of the hit and chittering grumpily. Stupid bone. You made him look bad

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST! /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2022 1:34:23 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
"They're very recent captures. Noodles, the Arbok, joined me of their own free will since I tried to help it. The makeshift splint actually helped a lot. Thievul and Zubat tried stealing something extremely important to me. But still, good points for the long run, I need to really train all three of them." Asher found it funny that the man had steel type issues, even chuckling. It seemed Isaac didn't have a favorite type though. "I'm currently residing in Slateport City...where do you live normally? Before you ask, I have a job with a ship that'll take me back there." With some legal money in hand too. He didn't mind working an honest job for money, but his age really stopped him from getting something full time let alone a decent amount.

Bones watched as Duster attempted. He got it going at first, but failed the catch, getting smacked right in the head. Thank goodness for the skull helm. Without any kind of derision or even a chuckle, Bones walked up and rubbed the spot as well. Picking up the bone, the Alolan varient handed it back to Duster. Bones started to bark a little, going over when he first learned Bonemerang. Well, Asher's attempt at teaching him the move, which was at least somewhat successful since he learned it. Oh the fun times! And the accidents. If he didn't hit himself in the head or foot, he hit Asher in the face or shin. But the boy never lost faith in him, so why should he lose faith in himself? Bones told the Cubone to keep practicing. It may hurt a little, but once mastered, it can be just the right move to help protect either himself or a friend. Bones then described one such instance, where Asher was fighting two bullies, one of which was using a Crabrawler and the other a Yungoos. That Bonemerang was just the move to hit both of them to attract their attention while Asher fought the bullies. They ended up winning, but both were hurt. Bonemerang was a big part of his arsenal that helped him win though. It's okay to fail, just don't fail when you can't afford to. That's why you practice. So you'll be ready when the time comes.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2022 1:58:12 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Heh. Boy do I know the feeling," Isaac admitted as he heard how Asher pulled his team together. "I can't remember the last time I've gone out looking for a Pokemon. But they sure know where to find me!" Dugtrios in the garden. Bisharps ambushing him in abandoned warehouses. A Fennekin tag-teaming with a Koffing to try and mug him. "Even Duster here's a runaway. He stumbled upon me, and then just kinda stuck around. Took, like, months to get him to even accept a Pokeball."[break][break]

Oof. Location. Oh, that was a hard one. Isaac couldn't just come out and say the Rocket Sub. At best, the kid would call League personnel or ring up the Rangers. He'd probably think less of Isaac, too, which was a shame. At worst? The kid might actually be interested, and Isaac would be damned if he'd ever have that on his conscience.[break][break]

Luckily, he had his secondary "home" to fall back on; no home at all! "For now? I've just been wandering the region," Isaac said. "Never really been the type to put down roots, y'know? Hoenn's a real big place, and it feels like every time I come back to a place I've been before, there's something new to see." It still wasn't the type of life he'd advise, but with Asher already having a place to stay and a job on a ship, he was a lot less likely to be tempted by it.[break][break]

Wait. Job on a ship?[break][break]

Ugh. No. Even if it felt like a quarter of the region were secretly in on it, not everyone in Hoenn was a Rocket. Especially not some random teenager. He didn't need to do the whole Subway Employee bit to figure out whether Asher meant That ship or not.[break][break]

Duster listened at eager attention to Bones' story and advice. He even let out a quirk barking laugh at the mention of the two bullies getting smacked down by a Bonemerang. Okay. That was actually pretty impressive. And if Bones could step up to the plate to get a Bonemerang splitting targets like that, he could handle a little bit of verticality. He gave Bones a grateful nod, then stepped back to clear out a little area for himself. Then he let the bone fly, watching its trajectory as it sailed into the air. Higher . . . higher . . . a little bit higher . . . and now it was getting lower, and faster, and lower, and faster, and-[break][break]

Duster stuck his hand up, catching the bone right on his palm. With each second, the speed of the rotation slowed, until finally it had calmed enough for Duster to snatch it outright. Victory, thy name is Duster!

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]462 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2022 1:14:32 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Duster was a runaway? Or did a trainer dump him? Asher didn't pry, but it was curious. He found Bones looking up at Wela Volcano, having been driven from the place. Asher found himself having a bit of a similar experience, more so now than ever. But he took the then Cubone with him to his home, and taught him to fight. Snapping out of his nostalgia, he listened to Isaac talk about traveling the region. Eyes narrowing...something was a little off. But he also didn't care that much to pry. Until Isaac seemed to start sweating about his ship job, which was essentially cleaning duty. Now that was a little suspicious. What else could he be thinking of? Cabin boy for whoever wanted him for the night? Or something else entirely? "What's up? You're sweating a little more than normal. It's not that hot." Seriously...

Bones saw the Cubone try again, and managed to catch the bone this time. Nodding, Bones congratulated the young Pokemon. Bonemerang was one of the more complicated moves that they can learn. But was also a useful ranged option. Practice everyday to make it reflex on how to throw it and everything. Then after you stop thinking about it and do it automatically, then try something new with it. For him, using it for a dance routine was certainly new, so he had some practice to do. But basic use of throwing it in a fight to target a single opponent should be first. Then maybe think about trick shots or hitting two opponents with a single throw. You got to work hard to become strong. But also know that rest was important too. You gotta have your off days to relax and have fun.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights