Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Ruby's Sub of Jumpscares [M]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2022 5:15:08 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Were the labs always this dark at this hour? Isaac could've sworn the notoriously over-caffeinated, under-rested, and heinously-ambitious science team never let ten minutes pass without blowing something up. Yet here the labs lay, dormant and empty. Were they all at a sleepover or something?[break][break]

Pah. Not that it mattered, anyway. So what if it was dark? So what if it was alone? So what if, without any interlopers or witnesses, a ghost could kill, possess, or do worse to Isaac with no shot at failure? It was fine! Everything was fine! It'd be like one of Cygne's horror screenplays. Totally.[break][break]

Yet, as luck would have it, Isaac wasn't alone. In eyes still adapting to the darkness, he could faintly make out another figure. A woman, fairly short, in some kind of power stance- yep, Isaac didn't need to look any further, alright. Only Ruby Garcia, queen of the chip on her shoulder, carried herself like that.[break][break]

Briefly, Isaac considered the Usual. Go over, be all "hey, I'm Isaac, so what's the mission?" Yadda, yadda, so tiresome! He must've done that song and dance, like, 20 times this month! No, it was time for a change of pace. The notoriously unflappable Ruby Garcia was right here, in the dark, alone, surrounded by rumors of scary shit. He hadn't caught her notice yet, and he was an expert at sneaking quickly and quietly through the darkness.[break][break]

When would he ever have another chance to pull off a prank like this.[break][break]

A whisper of "Cupboards" to Watson was all he needed. The croc saluted, scampered off, and began opening and closing every cupboard door that he could find. It was as if a storm had broken out in the middle of the lab, even if any ominous breezes that followed were surely one's overactive imagination.[break][break]

As Watson set the scene, Isaac crept forward, making sure to avoid Ruby's sight to the best of his ability. "Do you believe in ghosts?" Isaac asked, throwing out his voice in a hushed stage whisper. Just loud enough to hear, just wispy enough to feel ethereal, and thrown so it sounded like it was coming from above. Perfect. He quickened his pace now, just as Watson quickened the pace of his cupboard slamming.[break][break]

Finally, he was behind Ruby. The cupboard slamming stopped. The room fell quiet. Isaac, without saying a word, held his hand just close enough to hover over Ruby's shoulder. This time, when he threw his voice, it came from below; a low, ominous voice dredged up from Hell itself.[break][break]

"What else could that white hand on your shoulder be?"

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST! /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2022 23:08:11 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ghosts on the sub... What a stupid rumor! Ghosts weren't real! People were probably just hearing the sounds of the ocean—everyone knew the ocean was weird as hell—or, at worst, a Ghost-type Pokémon playing pranks. Yet Ruby had gotten stuck on night-patrol duty to figure out what the noise was. What, was the rest of Team Rocket too scared to do it themselves? Actually, now that she thought about it, wasn't someone else supposed to be doing this with her? She hadn't seen anyone else around, though. They'd probably chickened out.

[break][break]At least Ruby had Cerberus at her side. Not because she was scared or anything, but because Dark-types were naturally strong against Ghost-types. Ruby may not have had the best education, but she at least knew her matchups when it came to her favorite types. And if having someone else by her side made the weirdly empty labs less quiet and empty, that was just a bonus.

[break][break]Cerberus suddenly raised his head and sniffed the air. Ruby, too, straightened up, already ready for a brawl. "What is it?" she whispered.

[break][break]Clack! Clack! Clack! Clack!

[break][break]Her gaze snapped toward the source of the sound of cupboards being opened and shut rapidly. Cerberus growled. "Who's there?!" Ruby shouted into the darkness. She fished for her flashlight and clicked it on, only for the beam of light to flicker out in an instant, casting a brief shadow on the wall. "The hell—?!" She smacked it a few times, trying to get it to work, but all it did was cough out a few pathetic attempts at light before dying completely, illuminating the morphing shadows a few times with its last breaths.

[break][break]"Fuck," she whispered. Great, she didn't have a light. But that didn't matter! She had Cerberus, and he'd have the advantage against this little prankster. Everything was totally fine—

[break][break]"Do you believe in ghosts?"

[break][break]What was that? What the hell was that? Did Ghost-types talk? Ruby looked up toward where it sounded like the voice had come from, but she didn't see anything. Goosebumps raced across her skin. Why'd the scientists have to keep the labs so damn cold?

[break][break]"Gh—! Whoever you are, I'm not falling for it! Get out here so I can kick your ass!" Adrenaline coursed through her veins, and she chose to weaponize it, preparing every inch of her body for battle. Ghosts weren't real. Whatever it was, it was something she could fight. It was fine.

[break][break]She didn't even let the creepy voice below her finish its sentence before she spun around and snapped her foot out in a panicked low kick with a "Fuck off!" Shortly after, Cerberus spun around and let out a Roar, aiming to knock whatever was behind them back.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

[attr="class","rubypokes"][attr="class","rubypokes"]
[attr="class","rubypokes"][attr="class","rubypokes"][attr="class","rubypokes"]

[newclass=.ruby] width: 400px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby b] color: #7b6678; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby a] text-decoration: none; color: #7b6678; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #7b6678; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby i] color: #7b6678; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubytag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubytag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubynotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #7b6678; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubyw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.ruby span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubypokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #7b6678; padding: 5px; width: 390px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubypokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2022 0:21:52 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]BONK! The low kick smashed right into Isaac's leg. His knee jerked up, and before he could set it back down Cerberus let out a roar mighty enough to send Isaac flying into the cabinets. He hit them like a bug going splat on a windshield, slowly sliding down until he was slumped on the floor. No way this could get worse.[break][break]

A pot from on top one of the shelves wobbled off, falling onto his head with a CLONK! Okay, now it got worse.[break][break]

"Glad to know my partner this mission's a good fighter," Isaac slurred. He lifted the pot just enough to peer up from under it, as if it was a stylish hat and not a painful bludgeon. "Good. Means when the ghosts come, we can kick their butts!"[break][break]

Slowly, reality returned to Isaac. He pried the pot off of his hand and hucked it to the side, rubbing where it hurt most. "Anyway, now we've got the scares out of our systems," Isaac said. "Good on you for passing that test, by the way. But are you ready to take on the real deal?" Why yes, Isaac was totally passing that off as a test instead of fucking around and finding out.[break][break]

That said, something didn't seem right. Why were there cupboards still slamming? "I said, now that the scares are out of our systems," Isaac repeated, shooting a pointed stare into the darkness. "Damnit, Watson, we're supposed to be done with the cabinet thing!"[break][break]

Isaac felt a tug on his pant leg as he said this. He looked down just in time to see Watson, who was shooting him the most quizzical look. "Wait. If you're here, then who's-"[break][break]

BANG![break][break]

It was as if every cabinet slammed down at once. Isaac paled as he realized that his little imposter shtick may have just pissed off whatever phantom really ran this joint.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]316 WORDS /

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
[/quote]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2022 22:34:03 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby's panting was ragged as she turned fully around to watch the figure go flying back. Ha! She knew it! Whatever it was, she could hit it! Emboldened, she stomped forward to deliver a full beat-down on this "ghost," but when she got closer...

[break][break]"Oh, great. It's you." What was this guy's name, again? Ivan? No, Isaac, that was it. All the fight drained out of her system, and her panting turned into gradually steadier breathing. Of course it would be the overly dramatic goofball who'd pull a stunt like this.

[break][break]She saw the pot coming down half a second before it landed on Isaac's head with a satisfying CLONK, and she let herself laugh at the spectacle. Even Cerberus joined in with a few deliberate pants, his form of chuckling. "That's what you get for messing with me, dumbass!" she exclaimed. Combined with the unexpected compliment on her fighting skills, that little taunt was already making Ruby feel better. "'We'? What are you gonna do, hide under that pot?"

[break][break]She crossed her arms and gave Isaac an unimpressed look. "I wasn't scared. You just got the drop on me, and look how that turned out for you. 'Sides, there's no such thing as ghosts. Now tell your buddy over there to knock it off." She jabbed her thumb toward the still-slamming cabinets.

[break][break]Yet Isaac's buddy, a Totodile apparently named Watson, was right there at his side. But if it wasn't him making all that noise...

[break][break][break]BANG!

[break][break]Ruby tried not to jump at the sudden noise, but she still flinched as she spun around. "Okay, it's not funny, Isaac!" she said. "Call off your other little friend out there!" That had to be what it was, right? Just Isaac continuing to mess with her?

[break][break]Cerberus, meanwhile, began barking and hopping in place, hackles raised. Ruby tried to pretend that he was just excited for a fight and not trying to signal that something was wrong.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

[newclass=.ruby] width: 400px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby b] color: #7b6678; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby a] text-decoration: none; color: #7b6678; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #7b6678; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubytag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubytag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubynotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #7b6678; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubypokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #7b6678; padding: 5px; width: 390px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 1:25:14 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac rolled his eyes at Ruby's gloating. "Yeah, yeah, 'cause you totally weren't panting like you'd run a marathon a minute ago," he said, still rubbing the back of his head. "And you totally needed to call in gravity for the tag team on that one."[break][break]

The real blow wasn't to his honor, though. Now, it was Ruby's callous disregard of the humble pan! Did Ruby not know that Isaac had the weapon of a hero in his grasp? "Hiding behind it sounds like a waste of a perfectly good bludgeon," Isaac said as he got to his feet, picking the pan back up. "Just you wait. I'll turn this frying pan into a sanctifying pan."[break][break]

Even Watson was booing that one. Isaac didn't even realize he could make that sound.[break][break]

"Getting the drop on someone is both half the fright and half the fight," Isaac pointed out. "Strike first, laugh last. Though, something tells me the drop's long, long been gotten on us." His own pulse quickened and his own tone started to take a turn for the nervous as the reality of the situation settled in. But, dangit! He was here to sow fear, not show it![break][break]

"Watson's my only Pokemon out this time, honest!" he said, perhaps a little too quickly and worriedly. Nevertheless, he had the receipts; five fully sealed Pokeballs on the belt he just flashed, with Watson's the only one remaining slack. "I'm not opening up the whole armory on this one. More Pokemon are out, more targets for the ghost to mess with. No, no, we're gonna need to handle this one carefully."[break][break]

"You watch my back, I watch yours, and if anything jumps at us too quickly we kick the piss out of it?"

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]292 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 21:09:28 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

"Hey, gravity was just a bonus," she said, completely disregarding Isaac's first point.

[break][break]At least Isaac was arming himself in some way for this. Not like a little frying pan was going to do much to a ghost—a Ghost-type Pokémon, that is. But she could appreciate the hustle... if he hadn't immediately ruined it with his horrible attempt at a joke. She didn't know Totodile could boo, either. "I'm with the little guy," she said.

[break][break]At least she wasn't the only one feeling nervous, though Isaac seemed more open about showing it. Ruby clenched her fist and glanced around for any sign of danger. When it came to fight or flight, Ruby always chose fight. Which was why the idea of something she couldn't fight... Nope, she wasn't gonna think about that. It was just a Ghost-type Pokémon, and Cerberus could take care of that.

[break][break]"Okay, fine, it's not your Pokémon," Ruby said. "But it's not a ghost, either! It's probably just some Pokémon messing with us." Whether it was a wild Pokémon, another Rocket playing a prank, or even a saboteur didn't matter to Ruby. All that mattered was pulling the sheet off this "ghost" and punching the real problem in the face before it could complain about its plan being ruined by some darn kids.

[break][break]"For once, you have a good idea. Cerb, stay close and keep your ears open."

[break][break]With an affirmative ruff, Cerberus joined his trainer in facing toward the cabinets that had been making all that noise a moment ago. Not that it was guaranteed to come from that way, now that Ruby thought about it. A Ghost-type could just fly through the walls and sneak up from behind them... but that's what Isaac was for. Adrenaline filled her veins, causing her whole body to feel twitchy with the anticipation.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 21:27:43 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]And so, the two advanced back to back, flashlights out, weapons and hackles raised alike. Cerberus kept his eyes forward, and Watson kept his own eyes on the group's back. Far from the pestering and infighting they showed earlier, now they were brought into a far more cohesive unit.[break][break]

Unfortunately, the sub had other plans. The cabinets that had been making all this noise a while ago seemed to fall still, especially while Cerberus' glare and Ruby's flashlight were fixed on them.[break][break]

Instead, a new sound took its place. Drip. Drip. Drip.[break][break]

A drip in a submarine was bad news without any ghosts present. A leak in an underwater vessel? That was basically flirting with death. However, the sheer risk of one of those breaking out in the sub meant that Rocket took these issues very, very seriously. There's no way that a leak would've even gotten to such a point . . . right?[break][break]

Weirder still, each drip sounded further and further away from the duo. It was as if whatever was causing the sound was trying to escape. Maybe it wasn't a drip from the ceiling, but instead water dripping off of the head of someone, or something, that had gotten onto the sub. But how would anyone have even gotten onto the sub without being noticed?[break][break]

Whatever the reason, each drip trailed deeper into the bowels of Rocket's labs.[break][break]

Isaac sighed, his grip on his frying pan tightening until his knuckles turned white. "Great. Sounds like it's inviting us in for a tour," he groaned. "Guess we've really got no options but forward, huh?"

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]267 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 19:25:02 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby would have been more surprised at the duo's cohesiveness if she weren't still on edge. Without even thinking about it, she clicked on her flashlight and—wait, hadn't this thing been dead a second ago? She stared at it for a few seconds, waiting for it to go out again, but it shone onward, lighting the path forward.

[break][break]The batteries just got loose or something, she thought. Definitely nothing freaky going on here.

[break][break]But of course it was too late for the light to show what was making all that noise with the cabinets. Little bastard must have gotten away when they saw the light coming.

[break][break]Ruby wasn't ashamed to tense up at the dripping noise that followed. It didn't take a brain surgeon to realize that a leak in a submarine was bad news; anyone would get a little freaked out over that. But before she could mentally curse whoever was supposed to be doing maintenance on this thing, she realized that the sound was getting farther away with each drip. Okay, that wasn't how leaks worked. So then what was that? Some wet person or Pokémon trying to get away from them? There were Water/Ghost Pokémon, right? Yeah, that had to be it.

[break][break]"Tch. More like it's running away from us." Whether she really believed that or not, saying it out loud helped bolster her courage, which was absolutely not fleeting, no matter what the sweat droplets on her forehead said. "Let's catch this thing already and kick its ass."

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 21:31:34 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Yeah. Yeah! We'll teach this thing not to mess with us," Isaac said, gleefully latching off of Ruby's fake courage. It meant he didn't have to bring his own to the table. Why pass up such a convenient source of delusion? Maybe if they sustained themselves off of it, their fear wouldn't be so written on their faces.[break][break]

It totally was courage causing their footsteps to pick up speed, too. It wasn't fear! Not in the slightest! With each step, the dripping sound got a little louder, a little nearer, and a little more echo-ey. "It's getting closer! I think we're gaining on it," Isaac said, noting the difference. The sound seemed to be funneling them towards . . . a door? Huh. "Should be right ahead. We get in. We get even. We get out. Piece of cake. Right?"[break][break]

Yet despite Isaac's bravado, he found himself lingering by the door. Not because he was scared. No, it was because he was being tactical. Making a move without his companion would've made them a less unified front. And it'd also make him rude! No, no, he couldn't be a rude boy on a mission like this, now could he?[break][break]

"So, uh. How're we doing this?" he asked as he waited by the doorframe. Was that a slight shake in his hands? Nah. It was clearly nothing. "If we go in guns blazing, we might catch it off guard. But! We might just end up playing into its hands. Maybe instead we should try and ambush it? Catch it by surprise. I mean, the sub's only so big. I'm sure it won't be a problem if we just. Waited out here."[break][break]

These were blatant stall tactics. But sometimes, slow and steady won the battle. Why work harder when you could work safer? Er, smarter?

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]303 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 19:22:53 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

At this point, the latching was mutual, a cycle of faking it 'til they made it... or at least convinced the other that they had. That was still faking it, though, wasn't it? Oh, who cared? As long as Ruby wasn't literally shaking in her boots, she was fine with it.

[break][break]Her muscles tensed when she realized they were, indeed, catching up to the noise. Out of a desire to fight, of course, not because she was afraid! "Right!" she said, probably too enthusiastically. Whatever this thing was that was messing with them was in for a world of hurt.

[break][break]Yet when Isaac paused by the door, so did Ruby. Normally, she would have just kicked the door down and started kicking ass alongside her Pokémon. So why wasn't she? She glanced at Isaac again. Right, maybe he was coming up with some kind of strategy. Ruby didn't usually care about strategies, but when facing an unknown threat, maybe having one would be a good idea for once. Yeah. That was it.

[break][break]She narrowed her eyes at Isaac's "strategy" of just sitting and waiting for it to jump out at them. "Hell no! If this thing's a Ghost-type, it can go through walls. I'm not gonna just sit here while it gets away." If she couldn't sustain the cycle of leeching off each other's courage, then she'd just have to feed off Isaac's poorly hidden fear to make herself feel better. That was totally the healthiest option right now!

[break][break]Without even waiting for an answer, she threw the door in front of her open. She took a half-step before she realized that she didn't fully trust Isaac not to just stay out there and leave her facing a gh—enemy alone. She reached back and grabbed him by the wrist, then stepped inside.

[break][break]"All right, you little shit!" she called into the room, flashlight darting around. Cerberus, fur still standing on end, barked in solidarity. The room looked like some kind of storage space for fancy science equipment, but that thought was a distant second to checking every nook and cranny for a sign of this "ghost." "Come out and fight m—!"

[break][break][break]SLAM!

[break][break]Her grip on Isaac's wrist tightened painfully as she turned her head to the door that had been slammed shut behind them. A cold sweat broke out over her body. Even Cerberus jumped away from the sound with a startled whine.

[break][break]Fuck.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 23:44:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac didn't care that Ruby's deathgrip was cutting all of the circulation to his wrist off. Hell, if his hand wasn't too numb to move, he'd probably be clinging onto hers in turn. His eyes nervously scanned around the room, trying to adjust to the darkness. Was it darker than the previous darkness had been? The hell was this? Advanced darkness?[break][break]

"It was the wind," Isaac said, so quickly that his words were practically tripping and falling on top of each other. "Or. You know. The currents. Yeah! It's fine. You know how the stabilizers on this thing can be. If the sub's not a-rockin', then the League comes a-knockin'. It's a good thing, really."[break][break]

In the darkness, Isaac could barely see. In what little light Ruby's flashlight shed (he could've sworn it was more earlier?), mechanical devices laid piled high atop various shells. Ceri could probably name them all and what they did by heart, but Isaac? He could barely tell any of these apart from your average toaster. But at the very least, they were all off.[break][break]

Wait. What the hell was that whirring sound? And why did it leave Isaac practically jumping out of his skin?[break][break]

Steeling his nerve, Isaac took a deep breath or 20, then started moving over to the source. "Well. Time for all that asskicking we were talking about, I guess," Isaac said. It was deeper into this storage closet than it sounded at first. Much deeper. Just how deep was this freaking closet? It seemed every time Isaac thought he passed the last shelf, another showed up in the periphery of his vision.[break][break]

As the hallway stretched far into the depths of the closet, Isaac and Ruby would come to a shelf that didn't quite match the others. For one, the mysterious whirring noise was at its loudest now, sounding like a drill boring into Isaac and Ruby's ears. For two, the source of said sound was being illuminated by a flickering light on the shelf; a simple centrifuge. The flickering lights caused shadows to spill from around it like a corona of pure darkness. For third, if Isaac and Ruby would stop the centrifuge, they would notice that it held only a single test tube.[break][break]

Inside the test tube was a thin yellow liquid sitting atop a thick mass of red.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]364 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 0:40:31 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

"Shut up, that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard." Ruby's words tumbled in a panic out of her mouth, but dammit, complaining about Isaac's bullshit was the only way she was going to feel better about any of this.

[break][break]She let go of Isaac's wrist and focused back on the room itself. Ah, dammit, was her flashlight dying again? It seemed even darker than before. She growled in frustration and smacked it a couple of times to no avail. Great.

[break][break]"What the hell is that?" Ruby asked, mostly to distract herself from her own shudders. It was some kind of... whirring? Coming from deeper inside the room? How big was this storage room, anyway? "Did some dumbass scientist leave it on?"

[break][break]"Yeah, someone's ass is definitely getting kicked." Ruby made her way further in, passing shelf after shelf after shelf after—okay, seriously, there was no way one storage closet was this big. How much crap did the scientists need, anyway? Finally, the whirring was close enough to feel like it was drilling its way into Ruby's ears, which was just another annoyance to add to the list.

[break][break]"Again, what the hell is that?" Ruby had never seen a centrifuge in her life, apparently. She shuddered a bit at the sight of the shadows spilling around the light; she blamed the headache she was quickly developing. When it came to a stop, Ruby saw the single test tube with the strange liquid inside. She squinted her eyes, trying to figure out what it was. "Is that... blood?"

[break][break]Cerberus stiffened up and began to growl at the shelf. Ruby turned to follow his gaze to the still-moving shadows. "It's fine, Cerb, it's just the... shadows..." She trailed off. Hadn't the shadows been moving because of the centrifuge? But... the centrifuge had stopped. She glanced around frantically for anything else that might be moving.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 0:57:48 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"And you say I'm the one being ridiculous," Isaac said. Blood? In a test tube? In the middle of an infinitely deep closet in the dark and sinister labs of a haunted submarine full of criminals? No, no, that didn't make any sense. At least, until Isaac took a step forward and took a look at the test tube. His eyes widened. His face paled. "Fuck my ass, that's blood."[break][break]

Okay. None of this was okay. "Science team's gotta be pulling a prank on us at this point," Isaac muttered, unable to take his eyes off of the test tube. "Yeah. Yeah, that's all this is. Any second now, we're gonna blink, and it's gonna turn out we're on the wrong side of some one-way mirror. And they're all gonna be yukking it up back there. It'll be just like-"[break][break]

Goodness. That was a lot of laughter. At first it was little more than a distant peal of laughter now and then, barely tickling at the edge of Isaac's ears. However, by each second, it got closer and closer. The shelves started shaking and vibrating, like bushes that a dangerous predator was crouched within. The walls themselves were starting to feel like they were shrinking around Isaac and Ruby, following hot on the heels of the laughter. His mind and his body alike were being squeezed, tightly, oh so tightly.[break][break]

He couldn't take it anymore. Squeezing his eyes shut and letting out an alarmed war cry, Isaac swung the pan with all of his might. He expected it to clang right into a wall, a shelf, an asshole, anything! Instead, it simply swooshed right through thin air. When Isaac opened his eyes, he realized that the room was a lot wider than he'd feared.[break][break]

Maybe that would be a comfort. But any relief that the duo felt would be interrupted by the whisper caressing their ears.[break][break]

"Missed me."

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]318 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
[/quote]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2022 20:14:41 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

"I told you it was blood!" In any other situation, Ruby might have made fun of Isaac's choice of words, but she was still too tense for that kind of teasing. The blood itself wasn't enough to freak her out, even if seeing it all separated like this was weird as hell. If anything, it just confused her. Why did someone need to spin blood like that? Science was weird.

[break][break]Isaac's mention of this all being a prank made Ruby clench her free hand into a fist. She didn't care if it got her in trouble; someone was getting hurt for pulling all this crap.

[break][break]She looked around with increasing agitation at the sound of laughter. "Like that?" she asked. Was it getting closer? Yeah, it was definitely getting closer. She stepped away from one shaking shelf, only to bump right into another one. When had that gotten so close?! And whatever happened to this room being ridiculously big? Now it felt like the walls were about to snap shut on her!

[break][break]Without even waiting for an order, Cerberus leaped into the air with a snarl and lunged at something unseen. Yet he never connected with anything. Instead, he let out a confused whine at the apex of his jump and tumbled back down to the floor. Isaac, too, swung his pan at seemingly nothing and completely whiffed.

[break][break]"What are you two doing?! There's nothing there!" Right, yeah, there was nothing there. If there had been, then at least Cerberus would have hit it; Dark-types beat Ghost-types, right?

[break][break]"Missed me."

[break][break]Ruby spun around at the voice right in her ear and reeled her fist back. Luckily for her hand bones, she stopped when she realized she was still right up against a shelf. "What the—?!" She turned back around to see that the room was back to being way too big for just a storage closet in a submarine. Her breath caught in her throat, and she felt dizzy from the sudden change. She gripped the shelf behind her and took a deep breath that was a lot shakier than she wanted it to be.

[break][break]"All right, assholes, it's not funny anymore!" she shouted. "Now cut it out so I can punch your nerd asses in the face!"

[break][break]The laughter began to die down. For a moment, Ruby began to relax, thinking that the jig was finally up. But then, another noise began to drift up from the darkness. Was that... crying...?

[break][break]"Sis... how could you...?"

[break][break]Ruby's blood froze in her veins, draining the color from her skin. Slowly, she turned toward the source of the all-too-familiar voice. A pale, blonde girl floated in the air, arms and legs limp and head hanging down as if she were suspended by a string in her back. Slowly, she lifted her face until her clouded green eyes met Ruby's wide, shocked brown ones. Something squeezed the inside of Ruby's chest. She barely had the breath to whisper out a single word:

[break][break]"Jade...?"

[attr="class","rubytag"]

[/b][/b][/div]
[/div]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2022 23:56:11 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]". . . Elliot?"[break][break]

Clearly, Ruby wasn't the only one seeing things here. However, where Ruby was seeing her sister, Isaac was seeing his brother. He moved with the same jerky, puppetlike motions, the warmth in his bright blue eyes and life behind his smile making those unnatural movements stand out all the more. The details around him were somewhat fuzzy. After all, Isaac hadn't seen him in four years. However, the softness to his voice was unmistakable.[break][break]

"Why'd you go? I miss you."][break][break]

Hearing it was like a punch to the gut. His brother hadn't done anything wrong. And he just ran off without a word the second he turned 18. They hadn't spoke since. Sure, he sent an anonymous care package home every now and then, but that hardly counted. For all intents and purposes, he'd abandoned him. Why? How could he even justify it?[break][break]

Maybe it was because, the older he got, the more Isaac couldn't help but see the features of a man he hated written in his face. Maybe it was because, for all intents and purposes, he'd basically stolen the life and childhood that he should have had. Maybe it was because he knew his family would be better off without him, anyway. Even if Elliot missed him, he'd grow out of it. For his own good.[break][break]

Yet, looking into the eyes of his brother for the first time in years, he could hardly bring himself to harbor those thoughts.[break][break]

He wanted to say something. Anything. He had to, goddamnit! However, his voice snuffed itself out like a candle in the wind as soon as it tried to leave his throat. His thoughts were fading into a harsh, droning static that stabbed into his brain like a thousand tiny knives. He could feel tears welling in the corners of his eyes, but he couldn't squeeze them shut or even bring himself to look away.[break][break]

After what felt like an eternity, he forced himself to blink. By then it was too late. Elliot was gone. Instead, floating in his place was a figure of about the same age. The rocket uniform he wore looked almost too big for him, rippling in a nonexistent breeze as it hid his scrawny figure. His close cropped hair sat beneath a Rocket cap, tilted that slightest bit over his face to cast it in shadow. His skin was an unearthly white, practically radiant enough to cast the room in a pale, white glow.[break][break]

He also, most importantly, appeared to have no face.[break][break]

"I was their age, you know."

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]429 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]