awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 4:50:41 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The little trip down to the Lilycove Memorial involved a small detour somewhere where Alexei had picked up a bouquet of white lilies, all the while accompanied by the troublemaker riding atop his head—and the other presence following behind them.

No matter how many times he’d tried to shove the Duskull back into the Safari Ball, it absolutely refused to go inside.

It was… fucking determined to see this all the way through.

So what this meant for him the entire damned way was that the hairs on the back of his neck were always prickling because of the too-close spectral presence trailing behind them.

All the while, Zelle enjoyed her ride atop Alexei’s head, smug-ass little smirk on her face.

The two (well, four if you count the two Pokémon) then made their way out to a quiet little park, where the stark white marble memorial stood, names carved into the rock from all sides—a literal Rosetta stone of the fallen in the Three-Day War.

It… it was a grim reminder that a few years ago, something had happened here—and had forever changed the course of Hoennian history.

time for a little history lesson ft. Zelle

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
it gets lonely in this gangster's paradise
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 19:11:26 GMT
Guillermo Marceliño Avatar
Alex was a self-proclaimed two city man, with one of those being Fortree and the other being Lilycove. Memo had never wondered why he’d picked those two, aside from the obvious as being the latter’s gym leader, and so he had never asked.

He had a strong feeling that, while this trip was partly for his own benefit, most of it was for Alex’s peace of mind. This was cemented by the lingering presence of the Duskull, whose accompaniment Alex had seemed to begrudgingly accept, if not tolerate.

He kept a gentle but firm presence between Alex and the ghost at all times, though it often hovered higher than his five-foot-four frame could reach. Still, he was there in case anything were to happen, following along quietly as they stopped and bought flowers, then headed into the park.

They came to a stop at the base of the white stone memorial, and Memo waited for Alex to clue him in on what this was all about.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 19:32:16 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Now they were here.

It was time… to tell everything.

About how he hated one particular person for doing that.

“Well, see,” he began as he slowly began plucking flowers and placing it along the little carved niches that dotted the sides of the structure, “…well before you came here, strange-ass shit started happening. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the concept of Ultra Space, hell I don’t know much of it myself, but…”

He trailed off, stopping for a bit as he ran a finger across one of the deceased ex-champion’s names, , before continuing.

“These strange things came out from what I presume is the ‘middle’ of realities. Like how there’s a nether void between worlds. Some big-ass sci-fi mumbo-jumbo and all that.”

Absently, he reached into his pocket for something, and found a little square of paper. How… ironically convenient.

As he continued laying flowers, he continued.

“Strange Pokémon-like creatures started appearing all over Hoenn.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 19:58:57 GMT
He was quiet as Alex started talking, but he couldn’t help the small laugh that escaped him at strange-ass shit.

“Funnily enough,” he said, softly, “strange-ass shit has been happening since I got here. The entire time I’ve been here. I think it just happens all the time.

He scanned the memorial for names he might recognize but didn’t find any, allowing Alex to continue his explanation.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 20:17:17 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Makes you wonder, doesn’t it,” he hummed quietly at the thought.

The thought of how Hoenn seemed to attract almost every single fucking calamity that could be thrown at the face of humanity.

“I remember seeing this clown-like thing, with an exploding head. The Slateport Night Market almost blew up had it not been for the efforts of everyone… who was there. That was the start of it.”

He took a deep breath, and continued.

“And then, not too long after that, a strange-ass tree grew in the middle of Littleroot. That was a fucking mess and a half. Someone tried to poison the damned thing, people died… I almost came close to dying there myself, but thank fuck I didn’t.”

And then, just when he thought everything was quiet… they started appearing en masse.

“Then these… these blue-skinned people. Started appearing. Right here. Not in Lilycove, but across the region. And they brought strange… things. From that space between. Everything was off the table. It was… it was war.”

The haunted look was there, right there, in his eyes as his fingers absentmindedly began folding a tiny paper crane while he was talking.

“The Three-Day War… a lot of people fought for their lives.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 20:24:22 GMT
It did make him wonder. What was so special about Hoenn that disastrous, tragic shit just kept happening? It was like a record in a player, doomed to circle forever.

Memo assumed the clown-like thing was Blacephalon. He’d done a quick scan of some of the more recent Hoennian history after he’d gotten affirmed in as a Ranger. He remembered the news stories, though he hadn’t been here for the actual event.

The mention of Littleroot made him stiffen, though he didn’t know if it was the memory of flames dancing in his head, or Alex’s mention of dying.

He felt his anxiety spike.

He wanted to reach out and take Alex’s hands-- wanted that affirming, grounding touch-- but they were busy, so he stuck his in his pockets and waited, respectful.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 20:29:10 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Lots of people fought, and lots of people… died. Just… died.”

His hands came to a stop, looking at the little crane he’d assembled in his hand, before gingerly putting it atop the part of the memorial he could reach.

“Not only people, but… but Pokémon as well.”

As if on cue, Zelle unlatched herself from her favorite perch, to hover around the staring Duskull—who for some reason, began floating towards the memorial—specifically, headed right for the little paper crane he’d left perched atop the marble.

“From out there, in the deep… more of Zelle’s kind came. They came… because she called out to them.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 20:33:26 GMT
He watched Alex stretch up to place the paper crane atop the memorial, like a transient crown. Beautiful and tragic in its impermanence. He listened to him talk about dying-- about people, dying, and then--

Oh.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 20:40:12 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“They came. Eight of them. So fussy, so squishy—and yet nothing like her,” he dropped off for a few moments, before Zelle turned to look at Alexei and made a face at him.

“What? It’s true, Zelle, they’re tamer than you!” he broke the solemnity for a bit, chuckling quietly as the Phione made a ‘pfffffffbt’ noise before circling around the Duskull, who was trying to poke at the paper crane but only phasing through the paper.

“Eight of her kind came… but only seven returned to the deep.”

At that point, Memo could probably guess what he was trying to allude to.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 22:07:20 GMT
He laughs, despite himself, at the look on Zelle’s face when Alex proclaims she is nothing like her family. He can relate.

They joke for a second-- his new family, he realizes, with a squeeze of his heart-- before their attention is drawn back to the Duskull. It nudges at the paper crane, to no effect.

Eight of theme came, but only seven returned.

“Oh.”

The weight of it sinks in, shrinks the world to a pindrop.

He does reach out, now, weaving his fingers with Alex’s. A gentle touch, a grounding reminder-- a comfort, hopefully.

“I’m sorry, love.”

It sounds an empty platitude, even when it comes from such a place of strong emotion. But he doesn't have much else to offer.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2022 17:11:07 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I… I wasn’t… able to protect all of them. I… I failed them, I failed her, all because of a морская ведьма1 who got too fucking greedy,” he went on.

For once, his voice sounded so… drained.

Tired, exhausted.

Silence fell between the two, his mind barely registering the light pressure of the other hand that had laced around his.

“And… and I haven’t been able to… stop thinking about her siblings. I’m… I’m pretty sure the other Phione hate me,” he whimpered.

“I’m fucking sure they do… because I wasn’t… I wasn’t able to stop her, from the aftermath…”

The actual, living Phione turned around sharply, and if Memo was quick enough to notice it, Zelle made a very displeased hissing noise. Kind of sounded like a wet Purrloin, really.

Normally, the little squishy Water-type was playful borderline chaotic, but to hear her ‘mother’ mention ‘that’, it clearly made her angry.

1 — sea witch

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 18:07:32 GMT
The depth of emotion in Alex’s voice when he slips into his native tongue is always a divide, a chasm, so much more so than anything Memo could ever put into words. Whenever it’s a gentle and teasing lapushka or-- or this, obviously spoken with derision, it sets Memo’s bones on fire in more ways than one.

“That’s not-- it’s not your fault, Alex,” he says, trying not to sound exasperated. Why does his love carry such heavy weights? More importantly, why has no one else come forward to tell him this is not his burden to bear?! Memo gets angry, in that moment. He's angry and sad and he wonders if it's maybe the location, some geas in the air.

“There are too many variables to contend with. You said it yourself-- someone else got greedy.”

He squeezes Alex’s hand.

“I’m sure they don’t hate you, love,” he says, unable to stop himself from trying to plug all the holes, soothe all the hurts. “They were probably angry, and grieving. But they shouldn’t hate you.”

Shouldn’t. As though Memo gets to decide that.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2022 16:32:38 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Zelle was still making the same angry angy angery hissing noise, the more Alexei dwelled on the thoughts of the ‘sea witch’ (one ) who he’d gotten into a tussle with during the aftermath of the Three-Day War down on the Lilycove side of things.

She would never forget the face of that bitch—

“What…makes you say?” he choked out, his throat suddenly running dry as the Duskull continued to attempt to phase the little crane off the top of the memorial, but its stubby little arm only went through the paper instead of making it move.

“How…how sure are you… that they don’t hate me?”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 20:12:14 GMT
Memo frowned. “If they do hate you, they’re wrong to,” he said, a spirited streak of protection slicing through his voice. If he had to swim out there himself, find them, and drag them back to tell their truth, to stop this from being another of Alex’s festering wounds, he would.

He would do literally anything in his power to stop this man from ever getting hurt again.

“It wasn’t your fault. You didn’t-- you asked for their help and they gave it.” He was trying not to sound petulant, frustrated-- angry on Alex’s account. “And, yes, it was a big loss and they probably felt pretty powerfully immediately after. But that’s-- you tried your best.”

He was so self-martyring, and it hurt. How dare these mythical, ephemeral, fleeting beings from the deep let him carry this weight by himself for so long?!

“Zelle doesn’t hate you, and that was her family,” he says, trying a different tactic, voice leveling itself out, words carefully chosen, staged. “She obviously has very strong negative feelings towards the correct person.” If the angry hissing was any suggestion, of course.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
the answer [m][c]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 18:50:13 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The little blue blob continued to hiss, angrily, whenever any mention of the ‘sea witch’ was brought up. That was one thing she was never going to forget. Never, ever.

How she hated being so helpless.

“I know she doesn’t hate me, at least,” he continued quietly. It still weighed on him, even now.

The Duskull, on the other hand continued attempting to knock the little paper crane off from its perch, but only unsuccessfully phasing its stubby limbs through the paper. Like it knew.

“If… if there was one thing I could change about the past. It… it would be that.”

Because how he hated having the blood of another on his hands, more so if it wasn’t his fault.

(He wasn’t going to talk about the first Mike, oh no. Not yet. That was another thing altogether.)