December 23
Lumios City
heterosexual
EMT, medical student
Cadet
Single
10 height
10 height
i wish i was special (you're so very special)
awards
51 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nettie
Nanette Sanguine
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 6:39:22 GMT
Nanette Sanguine Avatar

It seemed that every Sanguine hated heat, and Nanette was no exception. So it was some form of cruel irony that her chaperoned training today was at Mt. Chimney. Ranger gear was durable and breathable, but even then Nanette was quietly boiling.

It could have been worse, she figured. And she wasn’t about to look so pathetic in front of Miss Anderson. Chin up, shoulders back, Nanette made sure to keep her posture upright. The idea of looking sloppy in front of anyone, let alone a superior, was unacceptable. There was anxiety pooling in her gut, mild as it was. It was one thing to train with senior rangers…it was another thing altogether when this senior was also a council member. Good impressions were important. Nanette would not tarnish her family name in front of Miss Anderson.

Mila, at least, seemed totally at ease. Her rapidash was ambling about, tossing back her bright mane and reveling in the sheer heat. Nanette was already daydreaming about a cool shower and a tub of ice cream when they got home. The shower was set in stone. The ice cream was only if she did a half-decent job today. If she made a fool of herself…well, she might as well pack up and quit on the spot.

Good morning, ma’am.

At the sight of her superior, Nanette drew herself to full height (not very impressive at just an inch over five feet, but she had to work with what she had) to stand at attention. They were the same age, her and Miss Anderson. But the differences between them seemed nearly insurmountable.

Thank you for taking the time to oversee me today. I hope I can exceed your expectations.”

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Verdanturf Ranger Captain
Single and Ready to Mingle
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 17:48:29 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Elinor’s eyes trailed the path up ahead. Memories flooding back to when she had last visited Mt. Chimney, on that day she had trailed the Fiery Path in search of a lost Runner. A Runner she later found dead. An unpleasant memory for sure, but one could say it was formative in her behavior as a Ranger.

Today she was going to help another Ranger taking their formative steps into this world. And as she came ever closer, she wondered just what sort of experience this would have.

A loud screech appeared from up high. Elinor looked up, reassuring herself that it was indeed her Talonflame having seen their charge. She was correct. The bird flew ahead only to circle in the air as she came closer and closer.

Just before the woman was within sight did she take a quick moment to let her hand run over her standard Ranger uniform. It had been a while since she had last worn it, so it felt almost alien to her. And yet as she presented herself to the new Ranger, she looked nothing short of the poster child for a Ranger recruitment advertisement.

The new Ranger was the first to spew forth pleasantries, however genuine they might be. Elinor replied with a courteous smile and said. “Oh think nothing of it. It is my pleasure to help.” She gave a short waving gesture, as she continued. “But I am glad to hear that you are ambitious, though I must warn you. I have very high expectations. So, as long as you meet them, I will be pleased.”

She gave a short theatrical pause as she moved on to the identity of the woman. “Your name was Nanette Sanguine, correct?” She had been one of several files Elinor had read today, but still, the name Sanguine had stuck to her. Where had she heard it before? “Would you prefer that I address you by your given name or surname?”

OOC: Mission thread for link

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

Trish

Nettie
she/her
twenty-three
December 23
Lumios City
heterosexual
EMT, medical student
Cadet
Single
10 height
10 height
awards
51 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nettie
Nanette Sanguine
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 23:11:46 GMT
Nanette Sanguine Avatar

I’ll do my best, ma’am,” Nanette’s said, her expression earnest. “You can call me Nettie, if you’d like. Otherwise, Nanette is fine.

Were they really the same age? Miss Anderson was so collected and at ease. In a word? She was cool. Whereas Nanette felt the exact obvious in both a literal and metaphoric sense. Maybe it was something gained with experience. Nanette swallowed minutely. Even thinking of the word “cool” was agonizing. But she would make for a poor ranger if she couldn’t adjust to the heat. And she didn’t want to give others a reason to write her off as a spoiled rich girl who couldn’t handle sweat.

There wasn’t any place like this in Kalos, so I’m excited to start today’s expedition. Was there anything else you’d want us to cover while we’re here, ma’am?

Climbing would be a welcome change, at least. Maybe the sights and sounds of Mt. Chimney would be enough to distract her from just how warm it was underneath the flak jacket.

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 5:36:11 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Nanette offered Elinor the use of a nickname or her given name. Elinor looked thoughtful for a second before she spoke. “Nanette it is then.” Perhaps when Miss Sanguine had proved herself, then Elinor could use her nickname.

Elinor’s gaze watched for every minute detail of the poor woman. While Elinor was no mind reader, she got the distinct feeling of nervousness from Nanette. Elinor had to remind herself that this was natural given the inexperience of the woman.

“I do not think there is… Wait, actually. A warning is only fair, I suppose.” She gave Nanette a small theatrical pause, allowing the woman’s mind to wander for a brief second if it was so inclined. “Unlike some of my colleagues who prefer to teach by example. I like to think that experience is the best teacher. So it will be your responsibility to get us to where we need to go safely. I will not interfere with your decisions unless they threaten to get us killed.”

Perhaps it was a bit dramatic. But even a basic expedition could turn dangerous quickly. That’s why the Talonflame circled them high up in the sky, watching them, making sure they were safe, and keeping themselves ready just in case.

“So unless you have any questions or some such, then…” Elinor gestured for Nanette to lead the way.

OOC: Mission thread for link

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

Trish

Nettie
she/her
twenty-three
December 23
Lumios City
heterosexual
EMT, medical student
Cadet
Single
10 height
10 height
awards
51 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nettie
Nanette Sanguine
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 22:13:07 GMT
Nanette Sanguine Avatar

Yes, ma’am!

Nanette gave a little salute before turning to Mila. She understood Mila’s excitement with the heat and the new scenery, but having a rapidash who had only ever done long rides across sloping terrain and dressage shows suddenly barrel up a mountain was asking for disaster. It was something they could pick up in time and with baby steps. Then she would crest the mountain with her steed as bold and confident as Miss Anderson.

I know, I know. We can have a ride after this,” Nanette soothed. Mila’s snout pressed against her cheek and Nanette patted her side before pressing the button on her pokéball.

Once the ball was fastened back at her belt, Nanette turned to Elinor with a small smile. “Shall we?

And then she was pressing on ahead. Most might expect people of her breeding to be inexperienced, prissy, and arrogant. Nanette knew her limits, and knew that she had much to learn. She wasn’t new to things like hikes, though, and she liked to think she was quite hale and hearty. Pebbles skid beneath her boots, clattering on the sloping ground. The parameters for today were to reach a certain height. Not quite the crest (she wasn’t a volcanologist, after all), but decently high that no common tourist would be up there. There was an altimeter in her pocket to keep tabs, and a myriad of other tools in her pack. Fortune favored the prepared.

If you get hungry, please let me know. I have extra protein bars with me, and enough water for two,” Nanette said over her shoulder.

Blades of rough grass brushed her knees. Nanette had read about different biomes when she had decided on her ranger route. In mountainous terrain, fescue thrived. And in the mountains came hardier pokémon, too. She thought she saw some peeking through grass and overturned stones.

If you don’t mind me asking…can I ask how you got started as a ranger, Miss Anderson?

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2022 13:12:53 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Nanette seemed to understand the assignment. Elinor gave a small approving nod when Nannette informed the Rapidash that they wouldn’t be bolting up the mountainside. The Rapidash seemed far too excitable, Elinor could only assume it was either inexperienced or undisciplined, both only bad traits if one didn’t take them into account when planning.

With the Rapidash situation dealt with, both women began on their ascent. Nanette taking the lead. Elinor traveled slightly behind her. Her boots thudded securely against the pebbled path they took. Her eyes shifted from up ahead to the woman and back again.

Elinor sent the woman a warm gracious smile when she offered her food. “I am pleased to hear that. But do not worry, I did bring my own supplies as well. But thank you for the offer.”

Elinor’s eyes searched the path they walked for signs of Pokémon having come through. There were a few to be seen. But the tracks seemed rather old, there should be no dangers for now. Nanette pulled her attention away from the tracking and onto a more personal matter.

“I do not mind at all. I am afraid it’s not quite the exciting story that you might be expecting. I am but one of many that were charmed into joining the Rangers by a sweet-talking Recruiter.” She grew silent for a moment letting Nanette process that.

“And what about you? What made you pick this path?” Curious eyes rested upon Nanette for now.

OOC: N/A

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

Trish

Nettie
she/her
twenty-three
December 23
Lumios City
heterosexual
EMT, medical student
Cadet
Single
10 height
10 height
awards
51 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nettie
Nanette Sanguine
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 18:46:41 GMT
Nanette Sanguine Avatar

It was a question she got occasionally, and Nanette always considered her answer carefully. Because there were a thousand reasons and perhaps a million outside factors, all equally as important, that led her to where she was today – dressed in ranger red and blue, standing atop the craggy heights of Mt. Chimney with her capable, lovely superior. So, naturally, Nanette could list any one of those reasons and they would be true.

I’ve always wanted to help people and Pokémon. My mother is a surgeon in Kalos, and I’m good at science. When I came here, I knew I wanted to help, somehow. I was stuck between choosing a residency at a human hospital or Pokémon center or becoming a cadet.

She paused only to traipse over a fallen log – the wood worn and ashen. Her arms were aloft to keep her balance, graceful as a dancer. Once across, Nanette continued, and her tone was thoughtful.

When I could talk to a recruiter, that solidified it for me. That I could use my knowledge in an immediate way. Not to be rude, but Hoenn is…well, it’s a bit crazy. So I want to help with that, even a little.

For all Nanette’s private gripes about the heat and the constant dampness, she was growing to love this region, its people, and everything else it had. More than anything, the people of Hoenn persevered. And while they themselves were more than a little insane, the people here – whether born and raised or more seasoned transplants – were passionate. It was hard not to be enamored with that ferocity.

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
slow ride [ M ]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2022 7:47:45 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Elinor listened. Nanette’s reason for joining wasn’t new. But it was one Elinor had grown fond of after certain events. The wish to help those around you, the knowledge that your skills might be put to better use than monetary gain.

Elinor watched as Nanette crossed a fallen log. She noticed the grace and elegance that the woman applied to the task. Compared to that, Elinor’s own movements were sort of rigid, direct, and perhaps even blunt in their application to the task.

“Oh do not worry. You are completely right about Hoenn.” Elinor replied. Gaze turned to the sky to make sure her avian companion was following them. The Talonflame soared high above still.

“I am glad to hear that there are others out there like me who want to help.” Elinor paused. Pondering for a moment if she should continue. “I do fear for Hoenn’s future. With the way things are currently going, people like you and I are needed now more than ever.” She gazed toward Nanette trying to gauge how she responded to the pressure hearing such comments from a Senior Ranger would surely apply.

Though of course, Elinor did make sure to look ahead from time to time, to make sure neither she nor Nanette would be walking into something dangerous.

OOC: N/A

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights