Swimming Lessons [m/vv]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 12:04:29 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]
[attr="class","bishoptext"]

For a city slicker who'd never left Lumiose, the ocean was something unique to Bishop, a marvel to behold. Festival or no festival, he was determined to visit Slateport's beach and enjoy a day out in the sun. He had a general idea of what such a trip should entail, but the details eluded him. That was why, despite packing most of the right things — swim trunks, a towel, sunglasses, sandals — he had not brought any sunscreen.[break][break]

Without a doubt, Bishop was going to be burnt to a crisp, but that was a problem for a later time.[break][break]

After letting his Obstagoon and Scrafty out of their Pokéballs so they could enjoy the sun and surf, too, Bishop waded out into the water. He stopped when it came up to his waist, realizing with sudden consternation that he did not actually know how to swim.[break][break]

Luckily, he quickly discovered that he did not need to go much farther out to have a good time. The crashing waves were a delight. Who would have guessed an activity so simple could be so enjoyable? Plus, the water was cool on his sun-warmed skin.[break][break]

All of the waves were mild, so when a particularly large and aggressive one slammed into him, it caught him off guard. The wave swept him off his feet; he fully submerged in the water, all sense of direction gone in an instant. He flailed, feeling himself get dragged out into deeper water. Something bumped against his hand. Instinctively, he grabbed at it, anchoring himself to whatever it was. Only when he'd righted himself and broke the water's surface for air did he realize it was warm and fleshy. An arm?[break][break]

A woman's arm, to be precise.

[break]

[attr="class","bishopooc"][break]

NOTES

+ Mission: Sunny Day (VV)

[googlefont=Roboto Flex]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.bishop]--accent:#B65050;[/newclass]
[newclass=.bishop]font:13px Roboto Flex;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext b"]color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext a { font:13px Roboto Flex;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishoptext i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc"]} .bishop .bishopooc b { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc a { font:13px Roboto Flex;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishopooc i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;letter-spacing:.5px } .bishop .bishopooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoppkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
but i still haven't found what i'm looking for
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 22:04:01 GMT
nina larson Avatar
by contrast, nina had lived fairly close to the beach her whole life until recently. trips back were savored, and while she was enjoying the festival, she was also taking plenty of breaks to relax on her own out on the waves. in the wake of a string of traumatic events, the water had become a bit scary; but after plenty of clamperl diving and mantine surfing, she’d finally warmed up to it again.

it felt good to be out here. she floated on her back and closed her eyes, cradled by what corners of the ocean hoenn had been left with. nearby, several of her water-types were out enjoying themselves as well.

nothing in her ears but the lap of waves, she had nothing to warn her about the man who suddenly grabbed her by the arm. panic exploded through her instantly. she pulled away with a scream, turning only to realize with relief that it wasn’t onyx lamore. still, random guy grabbing her arm!

”what the fuck? let go of me!”

she kicked towards him. she’d be damned if she was going to be attacked again. the head of a shiny milotic rose out of the water, prepared to defend once it had assessed the situation. her mudkip, however, had a quicker reaction.

“kip!”

a water gun was fired at ethan, though not particularly powerful.

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 13:19:32 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

As soon as the woman screamed, Bishop let go. He knew better than to hang on; women were fierce when they sensed imminent danger. And then a blast of water hit him, probably from the woman's Pokémon, though it felt like little more than someone tossing water on him from a bucket.[break][break]

"Sorry, sorry!" he yelled, wiping water out of his eyes with the heels of his hands. He found himself staring at the blue-haired woman who looked ready to knife him in the guts.[break][break]

In apology, he held up his hands and offered her a lopsided grin.[break][break]

"I can't swim. Thought I was drownin' for a second and grabbed the first thing I thought could help."

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto Flex]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.bishop]font:13px Roboto Flex;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext b"]color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext a { font:13px Roboto Flex;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishoptext i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc"]} .bishop .bishopooc b { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc a { font:13px Roboto Flex;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishopooc i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;letter-spacing:.5px } .bishop .bishopooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 9:01:16 GMT
nina larson Avatar
nina’s adrenaline had skyrocketed. she stood there as he wiped his eyes and apologized, brow furrowed as though still trying to decide whether to hit him or not. was this some weird pick-up move?

his explanation softened her face, but her suspicion remained. before rocket, nina had lived the life of a conman. a hustler. she had told more lies in her life than truths.

she knew there were other people like her out there, many with much simpler motives.

”uh-huh.”

the pokémon behind her had relaxed more, but the mudkip was still glaring, maybe the least convinced.

”so why are you just out here in the ocean if you can’t swim?”

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 17:55:32 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

The woman's question made perfect, logical sense. Most people avoided the ocean if they couldn't swim, or at least they didn't venture farther than the shoreline. Fear of drowning was a powerful motivation.[break][break]

Bishop was not most people.[break][break]

He merely shrugged. "Not gonna let that stop me from enjoying my first time in the ocean," he replied. "Anyway, I figure I can learn really fast. Survival instinct and all that. But yeah, maybe I'll stay in the shallower parts for now."[break][break]

By the glare of the Mudkip and the doubt on the woman's face, he knew he was outstaying his welcome. He turned to leave, then cast a backward glance at her and grinned again.[break][break]

"Thanks for not knifin' me in the guts. Cute Pokémon, by the way."

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto Flex]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 9:28:23 GMT
nina larson Avatar
her expression was softening up more. though there wasn’t quite a smile on her face, there was a tinge of something. it was parts amusement and sympathy, beneath the fading adrenaline and kneejerk fight response.

she couldn’t imagine never having been to the ocean, or never having learned to swim. she would simply have turned out a different person.

at the compliment, mudkip approved with a ”kip.” or maybe he was just agreeing.

as bishop turned away, nina made a quick decision.

”hey, wait.”

a pause, as she considered one last moment, before offering, ”you want to learn how to swim? i’ll teach you.”

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 2:44:18 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

"Wait."[break][break]

Bishop stopped and turned to look back at the woman, one eyebrow raised. A grin slowly spread across his face at her offer. It was not a malicious one or even insolent, but there was a cockiness to it, like he was unsurprised she had become agreeable.[break][break]

"Yeah, sounds like it could be useful someday," he said jokingly, though there was no greater truth to his words.[break][break]

Back in Lumiose, there had been no reason for him to learn how to swim. Living on an island like Hoenn, however, meant that sooner or later, knowing was a matter of life or death.[break][break]

Bishop turned fully to face his new acquaintance. "Where do we start?"

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto Flex]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 0:05:31 GMT
nina larson Avatar
the look on his face looked like some kind of satisfaction. it almost made it difficult to believe him again, for a moment, but he was sticking to his story pretty well so far otherwise.

this guy really couldn’t swim, and that was sad to her.

”you never know,” she agreed. her smile was a bit tight, but there was amusement in her eyes despite her skepticism.

where to start? ”with names, i think.”

she held out a pink-manicured hand.

”i’m nina. i’ll be your swimming instructor today.”

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 10:58:49 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

Bishop shook her outstretched hand in a friendly manner. "Ramsey. Nice meetin' you."[break][break]

His new name still felt foreign on his tongue, especially since he'd only heard it before in reference to his father. But with time, he was sure to get used to it.[break][break]

"Nice to meet you, too," he said to her Pokémon, smiling at them. They were cute, especially the Mudkip.[break][break]

"Mine are over there," Bishop said to Nina. He jerked his thumb in the direction of the beach, where his Obstagoon was napping on the beach blanket and Scrafty was building sandcastles — or trying to, anyway. "They're a couple'a cowards, but I love 'em." He laughed.

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto Flex]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 11:17:35 GMT
nina larson Avatar
“you too.”

she shook his hand, before hers fell back to the water. mudkip was looking a little more friendly now, perched on the milotic and watching intently. he liked to be included and acknowledged.

when ramsey pointed over to the beach, her eyes followed. obstagoon and scrafty. was he a dark-type trainer? interesting… both of those pokémon definitely had a sort of vibe, and pokémon often a tendency to fit their trainers in a certain way—but as she watched the scrafty harmlessly building its sandcastle, she decided not to be so judgmental off the bat.

”they should meet my mudkip, then. i’m pretty sure he’d try to take on a giant sharpedo if one looked at him funny.”

she wasn’t sure where his baseless lack of fear had come from, but it occasionally concerning.

turning her attention back on the man, then, she commenced their training session.

”so, ramsey, can you float?”

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 11:26:17 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

"I'm sure your Mudkip could teach 'em a thing or too. Ain't that right, buddy?" Bishop shot the small Pokémon a grin before turning back to Nina.[break][break]

Floating, huh… He tried to recall if he actually knew. He'd seen a few bodies floating in Lumiose's river, but they had been corpses. Maybe it wasn't much different? Because floating in an upright position didn't make sense at all.[break][break]

"Let's see."[break][break]

With some hesitation, he leaned back into the water and lifted his feet from the ocean floor. He immediately started to sink and thrashed his limbs in an instinctive attempt to return to the surface.

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto Flex]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 12:13:57 GMT
nina larson Avatar
”kip!” the mudkip agreed, of course.

as ramsey leaned back to attempt to float, nina winced. how were you supposed to explain this to someone? it occurred to her it would likely be more difficult that she had initially thought.

”woah—“ while most of her ducked back from his thrashing, one hand went out to his shoulder to try  help steady him. ”you’re okay,” she tried to assure.

once he'd righted, she suggested, ”hmm. let’s try it just like, from the front. like a dead man’s float.”

she proceeded to float upright, probably not unlike how he'd been remembering.

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 12:37:37 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

Oh. Okay. That should be easy enough.[break][break]

Bishop complied, taking a deep breath before submerging his face in the water. A spike of adrenaline went through him at the thought of not being able to stand upright for breath, but he lifted his feet from the ocean floor again and relaxed his body, pretending he was one of those corpses.

And, to his great surprise, he did float.[break][break]

It was a strangely peaceful experience. Water filled his ears, muffling all noise. He felt utterly weightless, which was a weird feeling considering he was a big guy. He also felt vulnerable with his back exposed, so he rolled over — with some effort but minimal thrashing that time. The sun hit his face as he turned it toward the sky.[break][break]

Bishop grinned at Nina. "This ain't bad at all."

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.bishop]font:14px Calibri;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:16px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext b"]color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishoptext i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc"]} .bishop .bishopooc b { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishopooc i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;letter-spacing:.5px } .bishop .bishopooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

nina
she/her
twenty-five
december twelfth
castelia city, unova
heterosexual
thief
associate
just a liar
wherever i go
5'6'' height
5'6'' height
awards
680 posts
nina larson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nina
nina larson
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2022 11:45:38 GMT
nina larson Avatar
he was doing it. he was floating, and that meant she was well on her way to successfully having taught someone to swim. it felt nice to teach someone something new, especially something she enjoyed so much. now, his smile was not so much suspicious as it was contagious, and she grinned back.

“good! good job. uhm… okay. the easiest stroke is on your front i think. so…” flip over? no, they weren’t that far yet, maybe.

her scarred face twisted in thought a moment.

“actually, stand up. show me your stroke. like, with your arms.”

@bishop

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Swimming Lessons [m/vv]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2022 13:45:08 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

It was easier to stand up this time. Bishop right himself and fell into a quiet pensiveness as he thought back to all the times he'd seen people swimming in movies and TV.[break][break]

"Maybe something like this?" he ventured, windmilling his arms in his best approximation of a stroke. He felt like a fool, but who knows, maybe he was right.[break][break]

Back on the beach, his Obstagoon had woken up and called out to him. There was confusion and a little distress on the Pokémon's face.[break][break]

"I'm okay!" Bishop shouted back. "If you need food, it's in the cooler!" And that gave him a sudden idea. Turning to Nina, he asked, "Hey, after this, you want a beer? I got some with me. Nothin' fancy, but consider it a thank you."

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.bishop]font:14px Calibri;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:16px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext b"]color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishoptext i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishoptext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc"]} .bishop .bishopooc b { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:800;text-transform:uppercase; } .bishop .bishopooc i { color:var(--accent); } .bishop .bishopooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;letter-spacing:.5px } .bishop .bishopooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]