Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
Civilian of dubious means
If you want to be strong, learn to fight alone!
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Initiation (Rocket Recruitment)
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 15:19:39 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
It took a while, but a date, time, and place was set with whoever this rocket guy was. To say that Asher was nervous was an understatement. The guy had given him some seriously bad vibes just before he was about to rob him. Then got caught by said guy.  The following conversation wasn't bad...but was awfully weird to him. But on the other hand...he needed a more consistant place to stay. And he did find a new love in contests. Hopefully if things go well, they could make use of him in that regard. Could be a good win-win. Assuming he didn't totally screw things up.

Bones, his oddly colored Alolan Marowak, was out and at the ready to attack should things go south. Silky was above on a railing, also ready, with Fletcher the Fletchinder close by. Noodles the Arbok stayed by the door, curled up. It was just waiting for the guy to arrive. Ash of course still had his tanto dagger in the back of his clothes, in easy reach. If he did have some kind of initiation, he hoped it was theft related. He wasn't comfortable doing anything worse aside from roughing up some debtor.

Rocket Recruitment Mission
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 17:17:29 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin approaches with caution.

This kid likely couldn't contend with him alone, but there's no guarantee that he is alone. This could be a setup from the League, or from one of the rival gangs who always seemed to think they could tread on Rocket's turf.

Sharp eyes pick out shapes in the gloom.

"You may want to tell your Pokémon to stand down." His deep voice rumbles in the quiet. "You don't want to give the wrong impression."

For his part, he appears to be alone but for the miasma that shrouds him.

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 20:50:06 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
The amber eyed teenager rose an eyebrow as Bones remained stationary, unflinching at the miasmic man. But Asher remembered that voice. That was him. Looking at Noodles, the Arbok did relax a little. Fletcher and Silky the Larvesta remained on high alert, but otherwise didn't move. "If you're as strong as you claim, you could bulldoze my entire team with two to three Pokemon and not even feel sorry for me. Besides, they don't know you. They don't know if you intend to do me harm or not. I'm sure your own would be on guard if I came in all shrouded like you as well. Try not to worry about them too much, if you really don't intend to do me in, they won't so much as look at you funny. Caution never hurts either, I would have thought you would appreciate that a little."

Standing up from the stairs, Asher took several steps forward to greet the man, though still stayed several feet away. Unlike last time, he didn't wear a mask or anything. Just his standard street clothes, which clearly looked worn and dirty. "So, big man, whatcha want me to do? I assume I'll get some benefit out of this as well. Namely a place to stay..." Might not be the smartest thing to say, but it was getting to be inbetween his part-time jobs. He was going to be desperate for cash soon.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 22:14:19 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Who says I don't appreciate caution?"

He's a cautious man himself. It's why, in spite of the illusion that he's alone, several shadow Pokémon stalk nearby. They're not so far from the ocean, and his patron's presence can be felt. He's prepared, if this turns sour.

"I offer advice for your sake. My Pokémon are trained to kill."

They wouldn't hesitate, if it seemed like their master was in any danger. There seems to be no hint of that thus far, and Gavin's shoulders are relaxed. One hand rests at his side, the other lifting a cigarette to his lips. The cherry blooms in the dark, grey smoke mingling with black miasma.

"We can go over the once I know you're certain. This isn't a decision one can come back from."

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 2:39:35 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher shrugged. And even waved away the "advice." Yeah, he already knew not to cross this guy in a bad way. And he had no intention of doing so. But come on...surely he could understand why his Pokemon were out. The same reason his was. Luckily, Ash did see that the guy's shoulders relax, and speak up a question. Ash looked down at his feet. Honestly...he didn't feel like he had much of a choice. "Hoenn's foster system, or any region's, is shit and lacks appropriate supervision. Alola had long since stopped being my home, along with the so called family I left there. The streets doesn't allow me to focus on any kind of education or my new passion for wanting to be in Pokemon Contests, since survival has to be the focus. If that means I have to sell my soul, then I'll sell it. I'll steal whatever you want me to, I'll go into battle if necessary. I might be able to be pushed into take a life, but only in the most extreme of circumstances. Treat me right...and I'll be a loyal Rocket member till the day I die."

The red head gave the man a hard stare...one that said that he meant every word. He was very much resolute to do this. If it meant he could pursue his new passion and makes survival so much easier...well, it was the best option for him. And he'll prove it to this man.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 13:18:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin listens, silent and intense, as shares his story. It's one he's heard before, for certain; he wasn't fond of children in Rocket, not even teenagers, but for those who felt they had nowhere else to go? Rocket could be the family they'd never had. It had become Gavin's family, in time.

He puffs on his cigarette, exhaling slow.

"I will never ask you to take a life. Work under me, and there will be only one who can make that request." While not an outright statement of his rank, the words are telling enough. Only one man in Rocket can supersede his will. His fellow underbosses could challenge it, but why should they? "We have trained killers. If your talents are suited elsewhere, your hands need not be bloodied as well."

He is beginning to understand, through Rockets like and , that there is value in allowing their agents to make those choices for themselves. Better a clean conscience than a defector, after all.

"We offer room and board at headquarters, and you'll keep a cut of the earnings from jobs you take. Have you any other expectations?"

Humor, albeit brief, presents in the tug of a smile.

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 15:12:23 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher relaxed at the kill comment. That was good in his eyes...he could rough someone up, and even has stabbed a bitch or two, but nothing fatal or anything like that...and he really didn't want to go that far. Ever. Ash didn't really know how he faired in an actual Pokemon battle either...most of his fights were other children, some older, but often had both human fights and Pokemon battles. The man offered him room and board at their headquearters, and he'll keep a cut of the earnings from any jobs he took. Other expectations though...was okay for him to be a little selfish?

"I...do have a couple...well, more like some questions. I know it'll cut down on time for me to take on jobs and even practice contest routines...but any chance at an education? Even just a GED? I'd technically be in either eighth grade or a freshman in high school. Oh, and food as well? Anyone from Rocket been in contests and can give critiques to planned routines to upcoming contests? Safe places for any Pokemon I catch or keep? I'm assuming that last one would also be at headquarters, but just want to make sure..." Ash wasn't blushing. Nope. Not at all. He turned away in embarrassment, and hoped he wasn't sounding like a choosing begger or something. He always worked to earn his keep.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2022 1:43:25 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The question of education reminds him all too well of 's own assumption that Rocket affiliation might wholly consume one's life; perhaps they needed to market themselves better. So, he tells the same thing he'd told his brother.

"I earned my PhD in Kanto." He'd still been a grunt, even. "What work you do for us may cut down on time you have to yourself, but so long as you are adept at time-management, it should never eliminate it completely. A normal life is possible."

A shadow passes overhead as his SHADOW CORVIKNIGHT swoops down to land on a nearby roof.

"Room and board includes food," Gavin continues, patient. The question about contests is unexpected, but he offers it consideration. comes to mind, though Gavin's not sure how interested the former underboss is in contests post returning from the dead. "I know of several individuals who have shown interest in the contest circuit. I'm sure you'd be able to find like minds. We're not devoid of outside personalities and interests, you know." He smiles a little, at that.

Bright embers scatter as Gavin taps on his cigarette.

"You'd have your own space at HQ, yes." The questions, many as they were, don't seem to bother him. "Anything else?"

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 22:52:46 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Ash listened intently. Who knew the smoker had a PhD?! Maybe it was just the movies talking, but he didn't think that Rocket had anyone actually gone to college or anything. Or maybe that was just his dumb kid brain thinking. Time management huh...well, if anything has gotten better, it had been that particular skill. Especially with his two part-time jobs that he had. Great to hear that room and board did include food. And it sounded like Rocket had several members who dabbled in the contest circuit. The man didn't at all shy away from his questions...that was also a good sign. Terrifying as this guy could be...it did show Asher that this boss also had a different side to him.

But that was all the questions he had. "I think that covers it. I think I'm more sold on it...so give me what you got." His Arbok started to move back towards Asher, coiling loosely around him. Bones stepped up to his side, ready for the trial to come, even as his Fletchinder flew down and landed on his left shoulder, and Silky the Larvesta used String Shot to get over to him and sit at his right shoulder. Snickers and Kraken were in Pokeballs, but he had them with him as well. But everyone was ready for this Initiation test.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 23:18:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Reaching the end of his cigarette, Gavin drops it to the ground and crushes the cherry beneath his heel before pocketing the butt. (No one likes a litterbug, after all.)

"Excellent."

He'd come prepared for outcomes both good and ill, and so Gavin doesn't hesitate to launch into explanation.

"There's a warehouse not far from here where the League store confiscated goods from the harbour. Pokémon, weapons, cash... all of it is useful to Rocket's ends. Do you think you're up to the challenge of breaking in?"

From inside his blazer, Gavin produces a map that he hands the kid.

"This is the estimated layout of the place. Might've been a few alterations since the last time we raided it, so keep an eye out for that. If you don't think you can get past the guards, I can always create a... disturbance."

On the roof nearby, Corviknight quarks.

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 0:54:48 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
The man seemed satisfied, and put out his cigarette, and putting it in a pocket. Not a litterer...well, that's unexpected. Ignoring that for now, the Rocket underboss explained there was a warehouse not far from here where the League stored confiscated goods from the harbor. It if it was like most warehouses, it would be easy to get in normally, assuming the cameras were outdated and no longer worked, not to mention guards. The miasmic Rocket produced a map that Asher unrolled to take a look. He also let out Snickers the Thievul, so they could take a look at it as well. Yep, not that much different compared to most others. Just need to be on the eye out for guards and cameras. Most modifications would maybe be barbed wire, an electrical fence maybe, perhaps updated security measures. Ash heard the disturbance part, but didn't say or do anything.

Main concern was the goal. "Is there something in particular you want out of there, or is the goal to incompacitate the guards so you can just roll in and take everything? Before I can really answer your question, I'd have to scout it." Which meant heading back to where everyone else was to grab a hat and/or mask. Probably both. Not knowing how good the League's budget was for this particular facility, that could influence a lot on security measures. Bones or any other one of his Pokemon could easily provide the disturbance as well...but he wanted to reserve that option until he at least scouted it.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 1:59:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"That is entirely up to you." His smile curves his lips just so, but never meets his eyes. "This is a test, after all. I'm not going to give you all the answers."

He wasn't throwing him in entirely blind; he'd be there for back-up with his shadows if anything went amiss, and he'd given the building's floorplan up to help get a head start. But if he wanted to prove that he was Rocket material, he was going to have to pull his own weight.

"Handle the mission however you please, and take what you think looks useful."

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 1:07:06 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Really? No particular goal...this seemed to reflect a test that no one even knew about let alone study for. Well, guess he'd make the decision whenever he scouts it. Honestly, it wouldn't be telling him the answer at all. Maybe not a test no one studied for, but one that they haven't even gone over the material over. But whatever. Nodding, he took the blueprints with him, and returned his Pokemon before walking away upstairs. He decided to grab both a hat and a mask, the same mask as from the festival, along with a jacket. Heading towards the place, he tasked Snickers the Theivul into scouting the area, and Fletcher to assist.

He's never had a big job let alone something like this before. But he has had to scout out areas first, and had tried to teach his Pokemon how. Hopefully that training was going to pull off. He also taught them what various types of common security cameras looked like. Ash himself walked past the warehouse, where there were two guards there, and two cameras. There was a Houndour and a Growlithe there as well. Easy marks for Bones and Kraken. Who knows with Snickers. Going around, he tried to stick with rooftops. Looked like a single patrol. What worried him was the truck in the back with what looked like four to five people there. There was a red head talking to someone, a Ranger of some sort. No, that was red and black hair with ear piercings that looked good on him.

And Ash got a vibe from the guy. Baton and cuffs...not exactly common Ranger gear he would imagine. Being behind the warehouse, he waited for Snickers and Fletcher to come back as he just watched the scene. Snickers jumped up to where he was, and Fletcher flew on down. Taking out the blueprints, he started asking questions and mapping out the area. Hmm...he could sneak in with Snicker's Dig attack. Or he could try to melt a hole in the fence...no, that would be too loud. Silky could use String Shot to get one of the side patrols while Fletcher worked on that camera...no, best go up and go to the security room. But how do you get up there? Fire escape looked promising, but there was also a patrol there. Along with a dumpster.

Socks would have to do it, along with maybe a tiny distraction. Dig, then use Noodles? No, Silky would do just fine there, being her cute little self and giving him to get to the roof. Oddly, each side only had a single camera. Luckily, Asher's jacket had a hood to hide his red hair. But he was going to wait for the truck to leave, along with those Rangers. Gavin did mention that they had some Pokemon in there. Stolen or poached, so it would make sense to have them there. Oh well, guess he would have to settle for less of a prize.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 3:04:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
While scouts the warehouse, Gavin keeps his attention on the truck. The engine runs even as the rangers loading it talk and laugh amongst themselves, informing their intention to leave with whatever cargo was inside. That was fine, so long as they didn't return to catch Asher in the act.

When his Aerodactyl circles close, Gavin signals it and instructs the DARK PREDATOR to tail the vehicle. Now, at least, they'd have warning in case the rangers doubled back.

No alarms yet.

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 19:11:03 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Truck left. Just for good measure, Ash waited some extra time, and then sent out Silky to cause a distraction. Snickers used Dig from the ally way to the other side of the dumpster. The Larvesta used string shot to get over there and bless her sweet heart used her body as a sheild to block the camera. All the while waving at the ranger or guard, whatever he was. Ash took that opportunity to climb the fire escape while listening to the guard coo and try to coax the little girl to get on out of here. Once Ash was at the top, he waved at Silky, who saw it, and sulked at the guard, but slowly crawled on her string shot to get leave.

Ash put his shoes back on, then ran to the door on the roof. Locked, naturally. But he did know how to pick locks. Doing so, he peaked in, and saw that there was a camera pointing down the stairs. Closing the door, he went to the vents. Luckily, he was small. Crawling in, he tried to be as silent as possible. He wasn't very successful at first, but luckily whoever was below him, Ash heard say something about it probably being a Rattata or Raticate. Once he was stable, he could follow them to most places that he needed to go. Hopefully even the security room. It took nearly twenty minutes before he found the damn place.

Sadly, it wasn't completely there, but nearby. He had to wait a little bit for a patrol to leave. Crawling out, he went to the security room. Looked like they hadn't gone around to updating everything. It was just a plain room with a door lock and deadbolt. And not particularly good ones either. With Bones out, he picked the lock, and stared at a couple of guards. Who looked at him. Who looked at them. Who looked at him. Bones broke the silence with a Bonemerang, hitting both of them in the head and knocking them out. Using their handcuffs and duck tape, the made sure they stayed silent. Oh, and he did wrap ducktape around their eyes too. He shut down the cameras from there, not needing a password or anything. What kind of cheap ass operation were they running?!

Ash had Bones near the door, and kept one of the radios. He was in. Looking through the manifesta, aside from the five guards outside, there was another six inside. Not counting the two in the security room. Really? A place this large he expected at least fifteen to twenty. Unless that truck took some of them with them. It did look like the truck took away poached and stolen Pokemon, signed off by an . A cadet...but at the same time, the one guy did look like he was put in charge...maybe the cadet was up for promotion or was trying to prove himself. Either way, he kept Bones here, and had Noodles and Snickers out. Him and his snake and fox can surely get the rest? He had more handcuffs and ducktape now...