awards
34 posts
part of
TAG WITH @blythe
blythe rosewood
MURDER MOST FOUL — closed
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 21:01:12 GMT
blythe rosewood Avatar
on a dreary night in the outskirts of slateport city, blythe recovers from her third bout of vomiting that day.

though her fomantis is in her arms, emitting a sweet scent from the bulb atop her head, the heady aroma does little to completely extinguish the rancid stench of rotting flesh, trash, and refuse emanating from the cordoned off house blythe now stands in front of. she's already expelled the contents of her stomach three times since attempting to enter the house with her coworkers and gather evidence, and yet every subsequent attempt has resulted in her eyes watering and her mouth filling with saliva. the body, stabbed 19 times and carved in such a way to make the corpse seem as if it is smiling even in death, must have been sitting there for weeks to stew in its own stench. it's only now that the police have been called for a wellness check, so they're left to pick up the pieces and bear the malodor.

it's been hours since she's been called here. while her coworkers forge ahead, pressing smelling salts to their noses and praying it will help, she's remained outside for as long as possible. it's the first time she's ever seen a dead body. the first time she's ever even had to smell one. what could have ever prepared her for the visage of it's bloated corpse, the way the blood seemed to coagulate into a gelatin-like consistency around his midsection?

she shakes her head. god, if she thinks about it any longer, she'll go crazy.

the best she can do is scan the horizon, clutching her fomantis, diantha, close to her chest as if the little bug is a stuffed animal. her colleagues said the detective would be here soon. she hopes that's the case—maybe she'll finally be able to go in.

@kian
close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 21:22:10 GMT
Deleted Avatar
it's a wonderful day, truly it is. not for the fact someone has been found dead, no, for that's a horrible discovery; rather, kian has been grabbing at the low hanging fruit for most of his career so far. he needed a higher treat, a bigger fish to catch. no more of that horrid desk he's been confined to for the past year! perhaps this is the moment he needs to prove himself to his superiors. he was so excited for this day that he even got his favorite cup of coffee from his favorite coffee place.

except he doesn't like coffee, and he had never been there before, and it was actually kind of expensive but it was too awkward to back out of the purchase with like five people waiting behind him- but that didn't matter! nothing would ruin his mood. well, maybe a dead body. but what are the chances of that?

only willful ignorance, an awful contradiction, or poor briefing could explain the odd enthusiasm coming from kian! now approaching the scene, he pulls the yellow tape above his head and flashes his badge. god, how he has waited for this moment, being allowed to step foot into the scene after a cool badge flash... part of him felt like he didn't belong here! maybe he didn't. he really shouldn't be so chipper considering the situation.

he's quick to slide up to a cop on the sidelines, one that didn't seem to be doing anything at the moment other than scanning the horizon. he's quick to hand her his coffee, whipped cream and all, with only a single sip taken- he hated it! but that's alright. "alright, fill me in! what's going on?" she seemed a little... pale, but it couldn't be that bad, right? surely not.

close tab

played by

sonetine

she/her
February 24
Oldale Town
bisexual
police
cadet
0 height
0 height
be kind!
awards
34 posts
part of
TAG WITH @blythe
blythe rosewood
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 21:32:36 GMT
blythe rosewood Avatar
a man with black hair sidles up past the yellow crime tape, flashes his badge, approaches her, and then shoves a coffee into her hands.

a coffee. a single cup. she looks down at it, and then she looks up, and she searches his hands for another cup, imagining that he might just be helping her out, but when she finds nothing, she looks back down at the single cup. is it a gift? is that it? blythe must confess, she's not very thirsty right now on account of all the vomiting, but old man fylleman always told her never to look a gift horse in the mouth. so, blythe, mustering the biggest smile she can (which looks a lot like she's genuinely in pain), lifts the drink to her lips and takes a very demure sip.

and it tastes like shit.

it tastes so bad tears spontaneously reappear in the corners of her eyes and she can't help but cringe, which she masks with another incredibly painful smile.

"mhm, mhm!" she hums, pressing her teeth up against her upper lip with a caged look in her eyes. "soooooooooOoOoOoO yummy!"

oh. thank god. he's asking about the case! she can finally stop acting like she likes coffee. it's with a wider smile that she sets it down on the house's stoop, clutching her fomantis even closer to her chest in the process. she looks even paler than she did before—is it the coffee's work or the fact that there is a dead body just about three meters further into the property? it's anyone's guess, and blythe knows the least about it.

"uh, yeah! sooo," she begins, gently tapping her fingers together as she glances back to the murder house behind her. "guy got stabbed a bit. really messy... not very fun to be around. um... if you wanna go in, you better prepare yourself. it's not really pleasant to the nose."

blythe then glances back to kian and takes a closer look, peering with narrowed eyes. "so, are you, like, the..." she pauses, searching for the right moniker. "...deeeetective?"

yeah. he looks like a detective! ...sorta.

@kian
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 21:46:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar
oh, thank god. at least someone likes coffee here; he thought, for a moment, that he had wasted a pretty penny buying it! "you like it? good! i'll remember that." he nods to himself, taking a mental note. random expensive coffee from random, albeit nice, coffee shop! he'll have to remember where he got it from next time so he can tell her, such a reaction makes him fear that she might be hooked! oh, how frightening coffee can be, although he doesn't quite understand it! he'd never fall to a simple drink, no sir.

a stabbing, hm? a homicide! he's been put on a homicide case. that's cool, yeah. d... dead bodies, and stuff. there's a pause in his step, before he resumes his stride toward the front door. he does faintly remember being told that before being sent off here so, it's not like he didn't already agree to this! "yes, the detective! that's me." wow, he sounds hella suspicious! but fear not, it's just his own excitement getting to him. "and please, this is the least a detective should be able to handle!" he confidently steps towards the scene, not a shred of hesitance in his step. for a second, you might believe he really knows what he's doing!

it's not long before he's back out on the street, vomiting his insides out. there goes that sip of expensive coffee, truly a waste of money! with a stumble and an outstretched hand on the wall to hold himself, he looks up at his newfound police... sidekick? yeah, sidekick sounds good. this random police girl that he merely walked up to, walked in with, then pulled back out is now his sidekick. every cool detective needed a sidekick... and someone to pull along on this rollercoaster of a day. "a... are bodies supposed to look like that?" he holds his mouth once more. this... wasn't how he expected his first real day on the job to be!

wait! is this how he was going to present himself in front of his sidekick? no! it was a shameful display! pale-faced and all, he pulls himself together for a moment, straightening out before stumbling forward. "gotta... head in eventually... but maybe you first..." alright, he's still working out the whole overwhelming nausea thing, but he's got the spirit.

close tab

played by

sonetine

she/her
February 24
Oldale Town
bisexual
police
cadet
0 height
0 height
be kind!
awards
34 posts
part of
TAG WITH @blythe
blythe rosewood
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 3:40:03 GMT
blythe rosewood Avatar
blythe sees her life flash before her eyes as the detective summarily decides that he'll remember just how much she likes coffee.

what does that mean? does that mean he'll be getting her coffee more often? that he'll show up to every case with a cup of coffee just for her? that she'll have to deal with this petty, white lie for the rest of her damn career? absolute despondency floods into the woman's consciousness as she stares blankly at kian with a dopey, vague smile that doesn't reach her eyes. old man fylleman's words echo into her mind once more, that it must mean this man is a good person with how eager and willing he is to gift her something so special, but the words have been tainted, poisoned. how will she survive like this?

"aha... thanks!" she says, face blank, voice trailing. what has she gotten herself into?

finally, he moves onto the case, putting coffee into the past for good. apparently, he's the detective on this case, here to help! so blythe follows eagerly after him, only to very soon thereafter stumble back outside of the house, vomiting and retching and struggling to keep their stomachs down. yes, the detective surely misunderestimated the state of the house, rife with vermin, viscera, and gore, and he's dearly paid the price for it, along with blythe. somehow, the sweet scent from her fomantis only makes the stench worse. the aftertaste of the coffee even worsens the sting of bile on her tongue.

in the immediate aftermath, sweaty-faced, the good-natured officer glances back up to the detective. are bodies supposed to look like that? "i don't know!" blythe exclaims, throwing her arms up, complexion a little green. "this is my very first one..."

wait... weren't detectives supposed to be used to this?

so used to it he is, he even offers to let her go in first! this must be the mark of a real detective, blythe decides with a nod and a smile. first, though, as they're standing outside in the tepid warmth of a midsummer night, blythe finally realizes she has yet to introduce herself to the man she's been vomiting beside for the last five minutes. "i can go in," she proffers him a trembling smile before extending her palm to his. "i'm blythe, by the way!"

regardless of the status of their handshake, blythe will soon thereafter point a pale finger to a pile of smelling salts nearby. "you'll wanna put those against your nose."

@kian
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 4:07:56 GMT
Deleted Avatar
that blank face, the dumbfounded expression; behold, the generosity of your boss(?)! it was very unlikely that kian held any real position over the girl but, with his own mental acquiring of a sidekick, he now had to show how good of a boss he was, and that meant drinks! if anything his desk job had taught him, it was that people loved getting drinks for free! he got so popular by doing so that he became the go-to guy for getting the drinks. but such truth could intimidate his new sidekick with how generous he is, so he opts to not give such crucial info on his character! stay humble, or something like that.

"you don't know?" hm, how odd! he was pretty sure bodies were like, what police dealt with. perhaps his new sidekick wasn't truly a cop... no, his first suspect couldn't be his watson! that would mean his judgment in selecting her would've been off, which can't be. besides, if he did that, that mean he would also be a suspect here! despite his pale complexion and rattled brain, he still firmly grasps her hand and shakes. "detective kian forrest! pleasure to make your acquaintance!"

you know, a lot of things felt backwards here.

"well, blythe!" if that's even your real name, "i appreciate the offer, but i assure you, a great detective-" taking one step back into the home, he immediately jumps for the salts. "-knows when to take their sidekick's lovely advice." placing it onto his nose, it gives very mild relief for a room reeking of death. as eccentric as he acts, this was still a murder scene, and he at least understands the gravity of that.

kian doesn't notice the glances of the other officers as he, once again, steps into the house of death. uneasy glances, lack of confidence, an overall disliking for how noisy he can be. well, not like you can blame them. it really wouldn't be shocking if him being sent on this case wasn't some error or ploy to get him booted from the force. he's quick to go for the evidence, sifting through both the known and unknown, peeking and poking at unusual corners. yep, definitely a murder scene, and definitely a human body!

"is there nothing more than the body? with such a... display..." he avoids looking at the body whenever he can, only motioning slightly towards it, not risking an accidental glance. "... isn't it usually accompanied by some kind of... calling card? yeah, calling card. some way to mark it as their work, you know?" he was grasping for straws here. maybe this was just some one-off case but... if by some dumb luck he stumbled into the right question, maybe he could, like, do his job. scary concept.

close tab

played by

sonetine

she/her
February 24
Oldale Town
bisexual
police
cadet
0 height
0 height
be kind!
awards
34 posts
part of
TAG WITH @blythe
blythe rosewood
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 21:40:43 GMT
blythe rosewood Avatar
detective kian forrest! blythe squares the name away into the back of her mind and hopes that it will edify, as very few pieces of information tend to do in her mind. luckily for both of them, it's unlikely she'll be forgetting this encounter anytime soon, if only because it marks the very first instance in her incredibly short career that she's stared death so closely in the eyes.

of course, he's a detective, so it's likely not the first time for him. in that case, then, she'll defer to his judgement, living up to the 'sidekick' title he so eloquently and generously bequeaths to her. while the title could be insulting for some individuals claiming fame to far more pride than blythe does, it is nothing more than another sign that she should be following kian and not the other way around. he's evidently more experienced, almost supernaturally intelligent, and incredibly keen to the invariable details and superficial clues endemic to murder investigations. in some ways, it is flattering that she's been chosen to be the sidekick of somebody so illustrious! the idea nestles deep in her heart and warms it, even as kian stumbles back out of the house and fumbles for the smelling salts. she follows suit, and finally, both of them reenter the house with no more waterworks or vomiting.

it's still unpleasant, though. the body lies slumped against the far wall, a mess of blood and viscera, barely recognizable as a human rather than a miserable pile of flesh and violence. some officers meticulously collect photos of the crimescene with respirators strapped to their faces, while others seek fresh air out the back door, many in the same state blythe and kian had been moments before.

of course, blythe is also averting her eyes. she's seen the body enough to know what it looks like without even glancing at it.

"i think because, maybe, the calling card is... on the body," blythe manages through a gag and a cough. she sends a pointed glance back at kian with a tepid smile. "i dunno... if you look at the face, the corners of the mouth are... cut. upward. y'know, like..."

like it's smiling at us. she shudders.

@kian
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 3:29:59 GMT
Deleted Avatar
it's not every day that someone recognizes the genius behind kian forrest; probably because, to many, he's a clown. a traveling circus of increasingly ridiculous assumptions and events that boil over into either very entertaining or very frustrating interactions. But those carried along with his tidal wave of stupidity often fought back against the waves, until now. Today, he met someone who truly understood his greatness, that he was a mere diamond in the rough! (read as: someone potentially as stupid as him)

"well, that's quite... gruesome. have there been any cases like it?" amidst talking, he quickly draws out a partner of his from its pokeball, an expansion of fluttering wings creating a soft buzzing noise as a teardrop face stares blankly at kian, then around at the room, and very clear panic washes over it as it does a spiral to the ground. it takes a moment, kian watching the stationary bug with a raised brow very it slowly rises once more. "sidekick, meet other sidekick! dewdrop here has been with me since i started my career so, naturally, she's as good at this as me."

he gives a very confident nod, the bug pokemon staring blankly once more. while dewdrop herself was rather competent, especially for a pokemon, kian was definitely not. floating off elsewhere, avoiding contact with the body if possible, it began to fly around the scene to look for whatever it could find. without dewdrop, kian probably would've been fired a long time ago.

"cut upwards, hm? kind of like it's... smiling." the gravity of the situation registers for a moment in the detective's mind, sending a shudder through his spine at the creepiness of it all. "we should, uh... get out of here as quickly as we can. were there any finds before i came on scene?" dewdrop was still diligently searching but, lessening the pokemon's workload would be for the best!

close tab

played by

sonetine

she/her
February 24
Oldale Town
bisexual
police
cadet
0 height
0 height
be kind!
awards
34 posts
part of
TAG WITH @blythe
blythe rosewood
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2022 19:48:45 GMT
blythe rosewood Avatar
yeah, it's gruesome. doesn't blythe know it. she nods with a smile pressed up against her teeth, tight and trembling at the edges. she wants nothing more than to get out of here. "i dunno," she admits on the topic of similar cases. "i guess there would be documentation at the station or something? but... i'm only a cadet. i dunno if i have the clearance..."

at least kian's partner makes this trip marginally more tolerable. as the masquerain flutters from its pokeball in a flash of light, blythe's eyes immediately catch on the pattern emblazoned on its fluttering wings, and her smile loosens inch by wretched inch. she glances down, and her fomantis is also looking, leaning forward in her arms, teetering on the edge of disaster. what an incredible pokemon! is it also a detective? is it the master detective that kian is? against her better judgment, blythe's attention follows the little thing around the crime scene, watching even as kian directly addresses her.

"huh?" her head snaps back to the hero in this situation. she stares blankly for a moment longer before she recognizes that he's only paused in preparation for her response. she hesitates, lips trembling, before she seems to understand the question she's been asked. "oh! uh... i've like... not been in here a bunch. y'know, cuz... throwing up. and stuff." she laughs without mirth.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK.

a loud, quite silly sound reverberates through the fly-infested crime scene as dewdrop disturbs a bloody clown nose, sending it to the ground. evidence? or... a bit?

@kian

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights