She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Freelancer/Ex-Ace Child Detective
Civilian
--- height
--- height
Let's Keep things a bit clandestine, shall we?
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
Intervened Liquidation and The Grim Specter
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 2:17:13 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
The night sky was still--a pitch black canopy, cloudless and starless, with only the gentle glow of the full moon to light up he world beneath. Of course, none of that was needed. The streets of Lilycove were lit up at night by numerous streetside lampposts.

The nightlife of Lilycove City had hardly had even the time to settle as the summer breeze sifted through the streets.

Standing in front of a convention hall was a young woman in a black dress--a familiar one she had once worn at a Soiree in Mossdeep. Despite the formal dress, she looked out of place among the many other well-dressed individuals walking towards the hall. Rather than walking with purpose like the others, she merely stood off to the side on the sidewalk away from any similar people walking forward.

Fiddling with her phone, Elaine flipped between the various different contacts. The initial contact from her current client. The file with the tickets to the event. The contact with her Plus one.

She sighed as locked the device and looked out a the trickling number of individuals.

"It's really been a while since I've had a case like this. I hope it all works out."

She clenched her fist as she muttered, hoping nobody would hear her.

"Assassination, huh..."

It was hardly like it was some large politician or even a councilman. However, a local politician had teamed up with a local corporation to announce a new initiative. Details were sparse, but Elaine had a few guesses as to what was being announced.

And yet, she was paranoid for a supposedly good reason.

Oh well, I guess I'll just recieve the details when I meet her inside.

close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 8:19:34 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

It was an odd dichotomy, really. On one hand, she was quite glad that the other had called her back this time. Especially since it had included an invitation to a party that was right up her alley. Or, given the status of it all, right up her promenade would be better. This was an occasion much more befitting her perceived station than her last date at least. No underground fighting and hotdogs, but instead refined people wearing expensive dresses. Granted, she only had one of those available at the time herself which she had hustled out of an particularly wealthy mark. But she took quite the good care of it, so the façade could be kept up quite easily.
[break][break]
It was well-maintained and clean, maybe a few seasons old in terms of fashion, but she had chosen something outside of the then-current selection to begin with. A white, armless piece, which gradually shifted into a faint purple towards the ankle-height skirt. A bow on the hip and a partially see-through window below the neck acted as accents, breaking up the seeming monotony of the dress. Violet thought it looked quite well. And she loved looking good to begin with, which put her into a fairly good mood as she approached the other on this still relatively warm pre-autumn night.
[break][break]
Walking at a leisurely, yet purposeful stride she did not want to seem to be rushing. Instead, she greeted her date with a genuine, yet muted smile, befitting someone of her station. “Good evening, Elaine. I am glad to see you again.” And there wasn’t a hint of deception of this. After what they went through at the ocean, she had felt a bit odd around this one. But certainly not in a bad way.
If possible, she would seek to take the other’s hands into her own while facing her, if only briefly. “You do look good like this. But also a bit distraught. Is everything alright?” This was a happy occasion, after all, but the other had seemed a bit too focused looking at her phone when she’d come into vision. Judging by what had happened to them on the ocean, Vio could not help but ask, really.
[break][break]

+ ooc notes

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.blboxfl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#COLORGOESHERE;[/newclass]

[newclass=.blboxfl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 21:34:59 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
In a moment of surprise, Elaine found her reverie cut short. Though her time to collect thoughts had come to and end, it was hardly an unpleasant surprise. After all, the person she had been waiting for had arrived.

"Indeed, it is wonderful seeing you again, Violet."

Her date at this function was the young woman she had partnered with and risked life and limb with recently in that unfamiliar space. For all intents and purposes, this reunion was quite hot on the tails of that incident, and yet Elaine had promised to see her again. Suffice to say, even within that hellscape, Violet was one of the few things she could say she looked back on fondly.

And so, with a moment of elegance she had not expressed in a long time, Elaine performed a short curtsy before Violet took her hand.

"You do look good like this. But also a bit distraught. Is everything alright?”

It was at moments like this that Elaine hated the fact that her emotions tended to be displayed with unceremonious conspicuousness when she had her guard down. But there was little she could do about it.

"Things could be better. But I guess if it weren't for the fact that this gala was tied to a case, I wouldn't have even been invited here."

Elaine shrugged as she let out another sigh and put away her phone. "I was just reviewing a few of the details I had with me. But we can go over that more later. How have you been doing since...that day?"

Elaine couldn't help but pause as she struggled to come up with a word to describe the incident.
close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 21:41:15 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

A curtsey. Wonderful. She had always known that the other had class and was cute, of course, but seeing it in action was all the more delightful. Violet did enjoy parleying with people on a similar wavelength than herself. It was something that she had sensed during the speed-dating, one of the reasons as to why this girl had been the only one that day to receive her number. During their trip to the bottom of the sea she had seen a different side of Elaine’s, of course, a less superficial one which was coming through now. Honestly, she put more import on that in the end.
[break][break]
The former was what made the other a nice date to go out with. The latter was what made her someone Vio at least thought she could talk to, so she did that in earnest. “I have been doing reasonably well since that day. It would be a lie to say that I don’t still think of what we learned down there every now and then. But since I wouldn’t even know where to start doing something about it, I decided to instead try and live on as I would.” Especially since that helped her cope with her realization that maybe she wasn’t quite as content to just be Violet as she had told herself she was. But for the time being, she would remain. After all, in many ways she was way too deep into that particular lie to just start letting it unravel to begin with.
[break][break]
Going on a date with a detective was probably not the best way to do that. But in this particular case, she was decidedly throwing caution to the wind. “Though I have to say that this will probably help as well. Doing something useful, structured. But I also have to reiterate: you can also simply call me over if you want to talk or just spend time together. I would enjoy that, too. Might be a bit blunt just to say that, but you do seem like the kind of person who would want to not burden others, or to get too caught up with things or yourself to consider it. So, I figured I’d just say it.” Violet added a smile to these words. Maybe she was being a bit assertive here, but that was just her old persona bleeding through a bit. And she figured if the other disliked her how she was, then things would not be meant to work out anyway.
[break][break]

[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 4:05:10 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"Going that way's probably for the best." It was a simple answer, but given what both of them had gone through in the Cloud, there was really only so much they could do. It was the answer she had come up with as well. Who knew how much time it would take for Elaine to reconcile between her self before and the self that was left behind?

"Both of us will figure it all out. Eventually." Despite the wistful gaze she had given, her mind was made up. The sands of time would fall and change would come with that ever present movement. Who she was now would solidify over time. Reconciliation was inevitable.

“Though I have to say that this will probably help as well. Doing something useful, structured. But I also have to reiterate: you can also simply call me over if you want to talk or just spend time together. I would enjoy that, too. Might be a bit blunt just to say that, but you do seem like the kind of person who would want to not burden others, or to get too caught up with things or yourself to consider it. So, I figured I’d just say it.”

"Yeah, you're right." Elaine chuckled as she realized that she had been far more grandiose than necessary.

"Next time..." She smiled at Violet who had taken her hand. "It'll be an afternoon over some tea."

Yes, that would be far nicer than something like this. Perhaps something a bit more quaint was warranted.

"You know, I had initially been questioning whether I should be keeping silent about the case tied to this gala, but I realized something." But for now, the current event held priority, so Elaine quickly shifted topics. "It would probably be more fun to work on this case together. The party will be ongoing and so there'll be plenty of time to relax."

Taking the hand that had taken hers, she pulled Violet along with an innocent smile on her face. "So, come along~ I'll explain all the details of the case after we meet the client. It'll be fun~"

It was a bit of an unusual type of date, but hopefully not one Violet would reject.

close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 16:49:09 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

“I would like that,” she replied – and it meant a lot more than it might initially appear, really. Violet was not exactly the kind of person who would be entertained by just having some afternoon tea, most of the time. But that was for marks or people she did not know at all. But with someone like this, whom she felt like she could actually be open with, at least to an extent? It seemed like a pleasant prospect indeed. Really, that was something she could use these days.
[break][break]
Though this little mission of theirs was one of those useful things as well. It was right up her alley, though she naturally would have liked some more information ahead of time. Just winging it was also her style, yes, but she did kind of want to impress her partner/date, so she wanted all the advantages. Vio was needy like that, sometimes. “I probably would have found out anyway,” she boasted, though it really wasn’t much in her opinion. One would have to be particularly inattentive to not notice one’s date working a case, after all. She had had enough mildly distracted ones to recognize one so severely off.[break][break]
Naturally, she allowed the other to lead her and nodded at the prospect of gaining information along the way. “I can’t say that I ever worked a case in this way, so to speak. But I know my way around parties and I like to think that I am one of the smart ones. I will certainly be able to be of help. I do expect praise if I do, of course.” Vio chuckled, saying that. But she definitely meant it, too. Praise was her biggest weakness, after all.
[break][break]

+ ooc notes

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 16:36:23 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"Phew, guess I'm glad I said something at the start." Elaine wiped a mote of sweat from her brow as she took a quick sigh.

"Alright then. This is going to be a blast. I promise." With a vigorous smile, she pumped her fists up in a jubilation rarely seen on her. Though, for a short moment she found herself giving a bit of wry laughter. "Though, potentially that could be quite literally."

But without a moment to give Violet a chance to retort, she began to pull her date in with her towards the entrance and the party's security.

The difference between the interior and exterior was much like that of sunny day and a moonless night.

The main ballroom had numerous decorations hanging around the windows. The walls were all line with gold and red. Multiple tables were lined up to her right with a bounty of food. A large balcony floor overlooked the entire ballroom, connected to the ground by a pair of intersecting sets of stairs. Multiple electric chandeliers hung from the ceiling.

It was all so very stereotypical.

For a gala hosted by a local politician, it was still incredibly gaudy. Though Elaine had multiple experiences dealing with balls and galas, it was hardly something she was ever used to. After all, for all the events she had been to, she was still but a commoner in the eyes of those who were there. The only thing at that point really masking that was the thin veneer of a façade that her dress (and her partner) had provided.

"Miss Highland! It's good to see you." Near the stairs was a black-haired woman in a beige dress who looked to be in her late 40s. Though Elaine could see singular white hairs upon her head, her appearance seemed to belie her age as most of the wrinkles on her face had been completely hidden by what was likely make-up. After seeing Elaine, she immediately signaled the people she was with to walk away before beckoning Elaine (and by extension Violet) over to her. Thankfully, she had not been referred to as Detective at this point. As far as keepin things inconspicuous, she "I'm assuming she's aware of the general situation."

"She is." Elaine nodded before turning to her plus one.

"In that case, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Cora Aleina, a local councilwoman in this city. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Suffice to say, she's my client and subsequently, my reason for being here."

close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2022 19:19:12 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Well, that was kind of cute. So far, she had not really seen this energetic side of the other. Sure, brooding and controlled was cool and all, but when it came to people, nothing beat a bright smile. Which she requited with a slight one. Yeah, she was kind of an hypocrite at times. Then again, no one had told her that it was cute, so she had an excuse. One she perpetuated by not praising the other, too. So, yeah, hypocrisy. “I would prefer not to be blasted though. But I am certain you will keep me safe, too,” she instead replied, just casually moving herself into a slightly inferior position. It was just how she operated, really. By now, she did it without even thinking about it, too. Which probably was not a good thing, but it did work sometimes.
[break][break]
Plus, she was being pulled away without much time to think or speak, so that was all well and good. Vio took a good look around as she was being led in. Partly, to just take in the scenery, but also to take note of escape routes and the like. That was just the professional thing to do as far as she was concerned, really.[break][break]
The same kind of professional courtesy was extended to the client, whom she observed carefully. Typical politician kind, in her opinion. Made up well enough to hide the age but muted in choice of hair colour and dress, fitting in with the crowd without wishing to become the centre of attention. People like that hardly needed to, after all. She was already the reason for at least some of the people to be here. Did not have to dress up like a peacock to gain attention.
[break][break]
Then again, they, too, were here because of the lady. Violet gave a brief bow in greeting and a nod in response. “A good evening to you, Councilwoman Aleina,” she started, dodging the Mrs and Ms question right out of the gate by using the official title. “Violet Fairbanks. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, though it is kind of sad it has to be under such circumstances.” And the immediate direct towards the reason they were here, before too many inquiries would come her way. It was not meant to deceive, really. Just nature.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 3:44:00 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"Well then, it truly is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Fairbanks." The local politician took a quick curtsy. "You're fine with me divulging the details of the case to her, Detective?"

"She's a trusted partner of mine, so to speak. It's better if she's aware too," Elaine said. "Though it's really more a matter of if you're fine divulging that information or not. The assassin will still strike all the same."

Cora turned her head as she looked back and forth between Elaine and Violet a few times.

"Fair enough." She sighed before continuing. "This gala was something I set up for one reason. I was planning to announce a new environmental protection initiative I had been working behind the scenes to get started. It was a grueling amount of work, but it was something that I finally was able to set up."

She seemed quite chipper for someone who had been hiring a private detective. "But that doesn't mean I didn't end up stepping on some toes. Alas, my work had amassed a few enemies in the process. And that brings us to today."

She placed a finger on her head. "I've been targeted for assassination. Someone wants me dead. So, I figured I'd do something a bit bold. I'd pull together everyone who could possibly be the killer or at least the client into one space and smoke them out. Find a decent-seeming detective who was low-profile enough to smoke them out. Admittedly, it's not the best plan, but it was the best thing I could put together on short-notice."

Elaine sighed as she heard the slight dig at her. Low profile. It was hardly incorrect nowadays, but her glory days were hardly low-profile. Still, it was a fact of life for her now.

There were definitely some contradictions, but for now, Elaine decided it was best to avoid bringing those up. The Beedrills' nest was best left alone and observed from a distance.

"Suffice to say, a place like this is a pretty great location for silent assassination. There was one case I had where an assassin used fluorescent paint on a chandelier chain to target it and drop it from a far. It was grisly case. So, I also had her give me full blueprints to this place."
Elaine winked to Violet as she waved the phone in her hand.

close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 19:25:42 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

A trusted partner of hers? That phrasing saw Violet mentally perk up. She…guessed that there was some trust established between them. At least she felt like she could trust the other enough to help with an endeavor like this. But she had not exactly succinctly put it to a point like that.
[break][break]
And it was really rare to hear someone say something like that to her or about her in her presence. Hence, the faint blush on her face and her being quiet while her partner handled the client for the time being. That was also because Violet was not sure she fully agreed with that woman, but knew that things could hardly be changed now. So debating matters was kind of pointless.
[break][break]
Besides, that woman did not matter beyond being client and target. She was not going to act in any capacity that would truly impact their task beyond what was already done. So, it was better to focus on their own work for the time being. And in order to do that, she kept a covert eye out as they talked to see if anyone paid special attention to them. After all, if someone wanted to kill her, foreign elements approaching her at this prime of an opportunity would raise an eyebrow.
[break][break]
Yet, either their target did not notice or was good enough to not be noticed. Either way, she could not tell. Best focus on her partner and the little anecdote she brought to the floor. “That certainly would be a spectacular way to do it. Yet, that would also need a lot of prep time and access. Easier to do when you are the one controlling the situation. But since our dear client has set everything up and on reasonably short notice, I guess it would be something more ad-hoc and flexible to do. Especially since this is such a good opportunity and includes all potential culprits. You would really want to be able to do it in a way that can quickly and easily be pinned on someone else, right? Especially on a rival in a two-for-one kind of deal.” Naturally, being praised quite a bit so far, Vio all but immediately got carried away in this morbid discussion without even really noticing.
[break][break]

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2022 0:28:49 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"Correct on both fronts. The entire event is basically going to function as both bait as well as prevent super elaborate plans from being enacted." At least, that was the aim. There was no guarantee that the assassin or client in question would take the bait. The sight of a painted target would be tantalizing but the prospects of a trap were also there. It was a Catch-22 to put it lightly. "But you also can never know whether some people will still figure out ways to be a bit more elaborate. Regardless, more intel is better in this kind of situation than less."

"That's really the gist of it. The entire event will last about 5 hours. The unveiling of the initiative will begin in about three and a half more hours. I've hired some 'security' in the meantime, but let's hope you can figure this all out before the need to use them arises." The woman put her arms down to the side for a moment.

"Any questions for now? If not, I can leave you two to your work and to enjoy the festivities. Can't say it will be a fully merry time given the gravity of the situation but I hope you can at least have some fun here together."

close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2022 22:48:04 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

There was but a light shrug. At the end of the day, they could do little more but overthink this in some capacity without further input, so theorizing was probably pointless. Vio was no detective. Whie she did try to act on logic as best as she could, intuition was her weapon of choice still. It had quite a chance to backfire, of course, but when it worked, it worked best in her opinion. Which probably was what mattered most right then.
[break][break]
“Indeed. And it is probably best if we did not spend too much time near you, least we make it obvious that something might be going on here,” Vio replied, before describing a brief curtsy, indicating that she was still exchanging some form of pleasantries. “Would not want potential rabble-rousers to be too guarded around us, after all. So, if you would excuse us~.” Saying that, she would try to hook her arm under Elaine’s and carefully move them both away from the one who had painted a target onto her back. There was no way to have fun while being too close to that one, after all.
[break][break]
“Though I do suppose that you already have some form of plan, correct?” Her follow-up would come more quietly, once they were a few feet removed from the target.
[break][break]

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 1:15:52 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"Well, then. Enjoy the festivities a bit. I know it's still work I've hired you for, Miss Highland, but I hope you can have time to enjoy the gala at least."

Elaine could hear the politician's voice begin to trail off as she found herself pulled away by her partner in crime. The most she could really do was smile and wave. Even a small 'alright' would have been drowned out as it got more and more distant.

Well, it was not like Violet was wrong. The longer that she kept around the client, the more attention they brought to themselves. If Elaine was going to find out the supposed assassin, she and Violet were better off not drawing attention to themselves.

Luckily, the pull of her partner here had brought the two to an area by the drinks that saw very few people coming in and out. It was at least one of the lesser populated areas of the venue.

Far from too suspiciously out of the way. Far from too close to be overheard.

"Unfortunately, at this stage, right now, the best we can do is gather information from the others. Luckily..." Elaine pulled up her phone with a new file, aside from the blueprints. "I got a list of the invited guests in advance. With that, we have a few ways we can attack this."

Elaine let the hand holding her phone fall down to her side. "For starters, I'm sure you realize that this gala is meant to unveil a new environmental initiative, but at the same time, rumors have been spreading about corruption. Needless to say this entire announcement event is meant to draw the public eye away from those rumors. With that in mind, I did enough research to cut our search down to three potential suspects."

As she said that, the long list of guests was truncated down to three names.

"So, our plan of attack can really depend on how we want to try and pull information. Do we want to take a more passive route and overhear the suspects while we look for any potential spots to assassinate someone or do we want to go talk directly to the suspects. Time is limited. Regardless of why they're planning this, the strike will likely happen when she attempts to make the announcement."

Tags:
close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2023 17:32:29 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

“I wonder about one thing,” Violet started, though she was actually quite intent on hindering the detective’s line of thought, rather than assisting it. But that was just in her nature. She had to tease, at least a little. Otherwise things just got too dour. Though she was also a firm believer in that thinking too stringently about things tended to narrow one’s mind to the possibilities one might see when distracted. It was all about that outside the box thinking that especially employers liked to rave on about. Only they did it wrong and she did it right. [break]
At least she liked to think that. “The sensible thing would have been to have us meet up together an hour earlier, so that you did not have to expose all over yourself like that in here. I wonder if you wanted to surprise or impress me more by having all of this being rather sudden, rather than setting up in a stuffy hotel room first.” It was more of a casual musing, but she did like to see what the other would say to this. If nothing else, it might sharpen her sensibilities to what working together did entail.
[break][break]
Though she also did not exactly want to be mean here. For once. “Don’t take me wrong though. I dearly appreciate you trusting me enough to bring me along for this.” That was what she just let stand there in order to make her position clear as day, while she started to look around the room once more. “I think talking to them will be useless. Mostly because I still think that none of them will actually go for the kill themselves. These people have money. And when you have money, you pay others to do the work while you get to watch and reap the rewards. My gut tells me that we are not the only ones in this as a duo.” Getting an idea, she chuckles to herself, briefly, before shifting her gaze – away from the guests, towards the staff. “Thing is, any of those names are too big to move around without notice. But especially with things being shifted around, if only a little, they probably keep in touch with their accomplice. Who would be someone beneath notice.” Vio briefly took the other’s hand and shifted them a bit sideways – so that Elaine could see a waiter speaking to an elderly gentleman behind her. She frankly did not know whether or not that was one of the people on the list. Just the general principle.[break]
“Do you see what I mean?” Once again, she chuckled, simply because of what she did not say there. Namely the implication that Elaine would have to not be distracted by her own face to see what was going on.
[break][break]

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2024 3:51:47 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar

She was good. Elaine would normally go at these kinds of cases solo, because she had managed to solve most cases by keeping clandestine movements and setting things up. But, since that incident at the sea, she couldn't help but feel like something was wrong.

Suffice to say, it was great to have someone she could bounce ideas off of and who would be prone to giving good ideas. It was also great to have someone come to a similar conclusion.

"Well, duh. A debriefing in a hotel room wouldn't be any fun. This is cutting short an assassination attempt and so I thought you'd have a bit more fun going in a bit blind."

Elaine knocked at her head and stuck out her tongue for a moment as if to try to avert herself from an apology and just say 'Silly li'l Elaine'.

As soon as Violet said her piece, she had shifted their positions ever so slightly so Elaine could see who she was talking about in her peripheral vision.

"But your deductions have so far been spot on. I'd respect someone who had the will to pull the trigger themselves, but the vast majority of times I've been in this kind of case, the only ones who do that are those that don't have the power to get someone else's hands dirty." Elaine made sure to keep a hand on Violet's as she continued to speak.

"The crazy part is that you had the fortuity to catch my prime suspect out of my three on the first guess. Of all the people interacting with another, it just happened to be him. Taizo Anzai, 63, the CEO of Anzai Metallics. He's a pretty prominent member of the sector for accumulation and manufacturing with metals like Lithium. Despite this, you wouldn't guess that he's a pretty staunch environmentalist. That man has supported numerous evnvironmental intiatives over the years and though that cut into his business, it gave him a lot of influence from local communities that have cooperated with him as a result recently."

She paused as she grabbed a pair of drinks from a nearby server who had walked by them before passing the one of them to Violet. The moment he was out of earshot, she continued.

"Now while one would think he would be in support of Ms Cora, the complications lay in what I spoke of earlier--the allegations of corruption. He has been pretty steadfast in his criticisms of her and has fought against her campaigns multiple times though he has never run for office himself. Suffice to say, he's pretty principled. But he's also at the center of some suspicious transactions, though that was something I had to put some effort into digging up after I put him on my radar."

As she continued on, the waiter walked away from the elderly gentleman.

"But that waiter is not the suspicious accomplice. That is actually the first time they had encountered each other. In fact...speak of the devil."

A younger woman approached the older man. She was probably the same age as Violet and Elaine. Her long, purple locks were tied into a ponytail that rested upon her shoulder. Her blue dress held a long slit that allowed for a leg to poke out. "Out of all of the three suspects, those two are the ones I have seen together most. On the guest sheet, he was registered as coming in solo, but those two have been together at least three times so far. In fact, they were even watching us when we were talking to the client. The rest have been interacting with only different people."

Tag:
Ret Con? I never knew him.
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights