part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
Intervened Liquidation and The Grim Specter
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 20:29:49 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

“Cute,” she simply replied, decidedly leaving it at that after the tongue incident to see if that got to the other more. It was a bit of a cheap shot, but her partner here certainly deserved it all the same. After all, she had gotten Vio into this situation, so being the object of her entertainment was a just prize to pay, in the former’s opinion. A fair balance between work and leisure was important on balls like this. It would not do otherwise, really.
[break][break]
But still, there was work to do. She listened to the more detailed information given by her partner, who most certainly had done her homework on the subject. Vio could appreciate being spared that part of the process at least, even if it meant having to catch up a bit more here. Quietly, she took in the information and snuck in glances towards the man in question. Though she was not quite convinced. In fact, she had kind of dismissed that girl already for simple enough reasons.
[break][break]
She was too fancy. “That’s a bit incongruent, isn’t it? Someone worried about corruption, but willing to immediately go for murder of all things when there have to be easier ways? A professional killer that is being this suspicious when they could have come up with an easier story?” It was in her nature to pounce on possible holes like this. Mostly because, well, she was being trained to be a spy herself. A proper one, not just someone with talent, winging it. And someone of wealth would hire someone professional, someone that could not this easily be traced to them.
[break][break]
Violet briefly mused to herself, then reached for Elaine’s face. Briefly and faintly, she would nudge the other’s chin upwards as she leaned in. But, of course, she was just teasing, both as a proper cover and to gain the redhead’s attention fully. “There is also the opposite possibility. That this girl, whoever it is, serves a similar purpose to us. After all, we are quite suspicious ourselves, especially with allegations of corruption hanging over us. If I was an industry magnate who hired a killer, I would not let myself get caught dead anywhere near that person on the eve of the killing. No one gets that rich by taking unnecessary risks like that, least they are really lucky.”
[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.blboxfl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#COLORGOESHERE;[/newclass]

[newclass=.blboxfl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Freelancer/Ex-Ace Child Detective
Civilian
--- height
--- height
Let's Keep things a bit clandestine, shall we?
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2024 7:15:36 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
Elaine had heard the comment made at her after she had stuck her tongue out. It was only natural that with how blase she was acting that she get a bit of taste of her own medicine. But instead of finding annoyance from the comment, what she ended up feeling was completely different. A warm flushing came to her face as looked away for a moment. She had hoped Violet missed it but she could feel the blush at her cheeks.

It was hardly the first time anyone had called her cute but this one in particular...

That was close. I actually felt that one.

After taking a moment to breathe, she turned her head back to Violet, once again calm and collected. After teasing her, Violet had been working to make valid point after valid point.

"You are right. It does feel outlandish for someone to resort to murder especially if they have that much to lose. That would be under ordinary circumstances." Elaine took a sip of the drink in her hand before speaking again. "The same goes for that woman. If she is the assassin, she's taking plenty of risk by being in the vicinity with him. However, there are a few more details that point that way."

She had had her face turned completely to face Violet. Understanding why she had done that, she maintained an intense gaze into Violet's eyes.

"But circumstances are not ordinary. Not for him, at least. Don't underestimate the resolve of a principled man willing to go down for his cause. Ms Cora's corruption is enough of an eyesore for someone like him to take such risky action." With those words, she took Violet's free hand and turned them away from their quarry as she led them to a set of stairs that terminated at the viewing deck above the ballroom. As they made their way towards the stairs, Elaine continued to speak. "The resolve of someone willing to go down with their cause is unfathomable. If they're willing to take everyone else down with them, doubly so. And if they even feel backed into a corner, no matter how wrong the perception is, it goes further. I've seen enough of that kind of person in my time as a detective."

After all, it was one of those very kind of cases that led to her vanishing from the public eye for a while. She almost felt herself clenching her glass as a certain face appeared before. She hadn't had the same repulsion she used to have towards that face since she had left the cloud, but it was still a disgusting visage nonetheless.

"I've seen too many of that kind of person. Be it the principled or the non-principled kind."

After placing down her glass on a nearby table used to drop off used glasses, she continued. "Suffice to say, I live by the principles of Occam's Razor and the principle of eliminating all other possibiltiies. Try to play the reverse psychology game too much and you get burned. Emotions break the reverse psychology game far too often to count. Besides, you've probably already gotten understanding for the kind of people who are gathered here. Everyone here is sordid."

As she stood by the base of the stairs, she faced Violet once again, but this time with a smile and a wink. "But that's enough of boring you with my work. I invited you here so we could enjoy things a bit. So, let's focus on that for now. The viewing deck awaits."

Tag:

close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2024 17:31:44 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Principled men with conviction. No, she could never truly understand them. While she fashioned herself a free spirit, Violet knew that she was someone who seldom ever truly committed to something. Rocket had been one of the few times. Though even now she was bonding with someone that would do anything to bring the organization low, if given a chance. She had gleamed that much from their chance encounters so far. Maybe that was why she was drawn to this girl, as she had been to others. People with clear goals….fascinated her. Vio? She was a moth, being drawn from flame to flame. These people were flames indeed. And not just because they were redheads.
[break][break]
But still, because of that she had trouble imagining someone like this throwing things away just to take care of someone whose alleged failings they detested. She would at least entertain the other’s reasoning, listened, followed her up where they had some more alone time. She nodded, taking things said as they were and giving them some more thought. “I can’t say I made much the same experiences, but I am no, well, detective,” she ultimately surrendered, though she was not quite convinced yet. This all still felt like Elaine was going with a hunch there. But she had the experience, so maybe that just factored into the resolve. “I tend to live by Hanlon’s Razor, if we are to put it into those turns,” she replied with a chuckle as she looked around.[break][break]
Given that blush earlier, it took a lot of effort to not pounce on the opportunity that presented itself here, in more isolation. However, with a sigh, she discarded that thought. If she actually managed to distract the other at this junction and things went badly, the fallout from that would be too bad.
[break][break]
Hence, Elaine was spared. For the moment. “If you think this is the best lead, then we can pursue it, I think. I am just here to be a sounding board in that regard. A very pretty sounding board, but I can nod at appropriate times, too,” she further elaborated, smiling. Then, she just casually reached for and took the other’s hand as she joined her on the stairs. Vio was brazen enough to do that, but she would still allow the other to lead them upwards anyway. “I am enjoying myself, don’t worry. Emotions can burn you, but I personally derive a lot of joy from them. Some boring work isn’t quite enough to bring down a date with you, don’t worry.”
[break][break]

[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2024 4:51:48 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
Elaine found herself chuckling a bit. She had long lived life living under the terms of the most logical explanation. But the idea of leaving things to Hanlon's Razor was not an incorrect philosophy. In fact, it had served her well many times before.

But the cold logic that undercut any case was still her domain. No matter how much one attributed to stupidity, that still remained. Such was the reality of her life. In order ot view both the big picture and the minor details that were orchestrated by people, she had to choose her blade.

What Violet had said, too, was fine.

Taking her hand, she walked up the long staircase up to the viewing deck.

"Sorry about all of this." She had known that Violet had said multiple times that she had been fine with it all. But, she couldn't help it. "Ever since the incident in the Cloud, I haven't felt the same. This is the largest job I have had since then, but I felt like I just needed to have someone close by my side."

Elaine tapped her fist onto her temple a couple of times. "Nothing feels real. Neither the life I'm living now or the memories that I lost and regained. What was I resolved to do? What led up to that? And what is the core of my resolve now? The person who I was died, leaving behind someone else, you know? So I still haven't figured it out yet--where I'm going from here."

She would normally regret dumping her inner turmoil onto someone else, but that someone else was someone who could understand. By some manner or another, they had gone through a very similar experience.

That was why, as the two of them reached the top of the staircase, she was sure that Violet would completely understand her concerns.

As the they reached the viewing deck, the two of them could see what clearly looked to be an outer rim only 5-10 feet wide encircling the entire level. On its perimeter was a railing about half the height of an average person. Aside from the fancy rug that coated the floor, a couple of chairs and couches for people to sit on and view the hall below, and a few potted plants, the entire viewing deck was pretty sparsely decorated.

It was clearly meant to not hold very many people and designed with the intent of having people only stay up there for a short time.

It was crazy just how out of view they were now from the rest of the ballroom.

And from that position, Elaine noticed something strange on the chandeliers--particularly the chains that held them up to the ceiling.

"There's no way..."

On the a couple of links on each of the chandeliers was a strange discoloration that would not have been noted without someone actively looking around.

After picking up her phone and looking at the plans for the hall, she had come to a pretty startling conclusion. Given the place of one of the chandeliers...

"That's way too flashy a method."

Tag:
close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2024 17:37:07 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

No hesitation in accepting the hand, eh? Maybe Elaine was more comfortable with those sorts of things than Violet had expected. Or maybe the other just did not make the connection. Either way though, this was fine. It made things less difficult and felt quite comfortable as they climbed the stairs and the other opened up a little more. It kind of felt like the topic broached there was not one that this girl would talk about with a lot of people, so Vio appreciated how candid she was in that regard.
[break][break]
Plus, it did feel good for someone to tell her they needed her. Somehow she had…missed that. Had anyone ever told her that before? She did not know and it did make her blush, faintly. “You know, you would make a girl feel even more special if you just said ‘you’ instead of ‘someone’ there. But I still quite appreciate the notion regardless,” she mused while mostly listening to the other.
[break][break]
Then, she squeezed the hand she held a little more tightly. Obviously not painfully so. But she wanted to make the other more aware of it, divert her attention. “I know what you mean about things not feeling real. But this, this feels real, at least to me. And I am always willing to show you reality.” In fact, she had to discard one other option to make things feel more real once more. It would be too distracting and the moment was wrong. But she was committing that to memory still, in case she would actually go there, later. “After this, there is something I want to tell you. Something I have not told anyone else yet. But I feel you should know. It might even help you,” she ultimately continued, making a very weighty choice. It probably was not as grand as she made it out to be. Maybe the other had already figured it out, being a detective and all. But maybe Elaine had simply decided to not even investigate due to their relationship with one another.
[break][break]
Either way, this time she wanted to share something. Well, later. Because for now, they had something else to observe. The detective quickly found something. She was apparently confused by that. As was Vio, in a way. In another, it made sense with what had been disclosed so far. “Well, you did say that he was willing to go all the way to ensure this works, right? With nothing to lose? He might just be willing to move the target into position himself and keep her there. If they both perish in the incident – or he survives, injured – at least his legacy would likely be more untarnished. Not that I could truly understand the concept of legacy in that way, of course.”
[break][break]

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2024 7:46:18 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
Elaine was right. She felt right bringing Violet here. The more she spoke to her, the lighter she had felt. The more she spoke to her, the more things started to feel a bit more real. It was as if she was the perfect anchor to her.

And perhaps, Violet felt the same. She had even felt comfortable enough to announce that she had been harboring a deep secret. That was hardly a shock, but it felt nice. That she had someone to confide in and someone to confide in her.

After all, Elaine had her own suspicions about Violet, but she never tread down that path once. A detective's job was exposing the secrets that people had worked so hard to conceal. In a way, that was the kind of person she had become.

Without much effort, she could dig into anyone she was close to. However, doing so was something she had drawn that line in the sand to close off. Sure, she could suspect whatever she had wanted about them as she wanted.

But, digging in and exposing them was not something she could do. Not to someone she trusted nor to someone who trusted her.

That was why she would wait. If Violet felt comfortable to reveal more about herself, she would welcome that. If she wished to keep things silent and let the world pass as was, she would welcome that.

So, she simply smiled. There were no words she could say. She would wait and accept it. Whenever Violet was ready.

"Well, you did say that he was willing to go all the way to ensure this works, right? With nothing to lose? He might just be willing to move the target into position himself and keep her there. If they both perish in the incident – or he survives, injured – at least his legacy would likely be more untarnished."

Elaine's eyes widened. It was as if something had clicked in her brain.

"So that's it." The itinerary had a few people standing on stage with Cora. "It wasn't too flashy. It was so over the top, that it would leave a mark."

It was such a crazy idea. Driven by emotions so mad that the one who ignited it all would likely not survive.

After all, he was the only of the three suspects to be standing on the stage. If she flipped the chessboard and thought through that perspective, then...

"In that case. We know what's coming. The assassin will target that one." Elaine pointed to a specific chandelier. "In which case, the best vantage point will be over there."

Elaine pointed to a specific location on the deck. There was nothing seemingly particular about the location.

"In that case, wanna try to set up a trap?"

Tag:
close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2024 17:41:26 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

“Well, we suspect what’s coming, at least,” she replied. “Sorry, I don’t want to play contrarian here, of course. But if there are lives on the line, we have to be careful, right?” Honestly, she just assumed she should be. Frankly, Violet may have briefly interacted with this woman, but she cared nothing about her, as a person. The only one here she cared about was Elaine. Everyone else she didn’t truly care about, at least as far as their well-being was concerned, personally. And she meant that fully in the sense that she would gain nothing from their suffering either.
[break][break]
They were just kind of there. Like most people. It was only when she made a connection to someone that she actually started caring beyond any self-serving goals. But having just a few people that she cared about like this was still better than none. And it certainly helped her feel more like a complete person again, after what had happened beneath the waves. That much was true anyway.
[break][break]
But it also made her more cautious, here. Despite the façade that Elaine put up there, it was evident that she needed…validation. That she needed to succeed, as if showing herself that she still got it. At least that was the impression that Violet got from all this. That was why she did not want the other to fail at all.
[break][break]
After all, she was a Rocket, not a monster. While sometimes there were benefits in picking someone up after they failed, she did not see them here. Plus…she just did not want to see this girl hurt, period. “But yes, a trap sounds good. Though we should have a contingency, in case they got one too. Like, one to spring the trap, the other to at least push the client out of the way if something else happens.” Briefly, she thought about things herself, but she quickly came to a conclusion. “I can do the trap. That’s what I am good at, even if I might not look it. But I know nothing of protecting people up close.” That was just natural, after all. “Plus, if the woman still needs saving then, it should be you who is seen doing that. You are the one with a reputation for that.”
[break][break]
Plus, Violet did not like too much public attention. Being recognizable was not always a good thing when one did her best job either in the shadows or hidden in plain sight.
[break][break]

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
401 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Apr 29, 2024 10:44:38 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar

"Of course, we have to be careful." Elaine picked up a Pokeball and opened it, releasing a Growlithe. "But that doesn't mean that we can't be a bit flashy ourselves."

After looking at Fiamma who was wagging his tail while sitting, she grabbed both of Violet's hands and leaned in until she was able to whisper to her ear. "In that case, here's the plan."

The minute hands of the clocks had made one full revolution as the hour hand struck 9. As the lights in the hall dimmed, a woman walked out with a microphone in her hand.

"Thank you all for coming here. It means a lot to me that so many members of the community took the time out of their lives to be here."

It was a short speech. Much like any politician's speech, it was filled with empty platitudes upon platitudes. So much of a bore that she could barely keep up with it all--not due to any lack of capacity, but any lack of interest.

After all, this woman was clearly padding out her time here.

"Now, to introduce this new initiative, please share a warm welcome for our co-sponsor, Mr Anzai."

"Bingo."

As the man walked up with an almost serene smile, he shook the hand of the of the politician with a firmness that belied his demeanor.

Elaine tapped her fingers on her neck as she watched him begin to speak. But given his position compared to her, she was absolutely right.

"Thank you, Ms Aleina. It has been a very long night, but I am pleased to introduce this new initiative that I had been working on with the local government. After I speak on this, I am sure many of you will agree that it is something that has been coming to us for a long time."

It was in that moment, as if on cue, the lights shut down.

In the distance, up above them all, Elaine could hear it.

A creaking sound of metal rubbing upon metal.

A small chill.

A bark from a young pup.

Exactly as predicted.

Their trap had not been much. Elaine had simply taken a few quick precautions.

First, she had advised Cora to move only a few feet to the side for the announcement itself. Second, she had Violet and Fiamma stay upstairs to watch for the assailant.

All she needed was a minute change. Something small, but enough for the enemy to have to change plans enough.

Moreover, with the second pair of eyes, up there, they would be able to see every minute of it.

Including the moment when a silent noise split the chains.

Tag:
close tab

played by

Lime

Vio
Female
September 7
MAUVILLE CITY, HOENN
Bi
Vagabond
Associate
Single
244 height
244 height
Alive
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lime
Violet Fairbanks
POSTED ON Apr 29, 2024 20:37:46 GMT
Violet Fairbanks Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

“I know, it is probably kind of stupid. And dangerous. But it also feels right, you know?” Naturally, no one answered. Her Dreepy just looked at her, a bit confused, as she decided to talk to it while they were waiting for something to happen. Elaine had taken off, leaving a little ball of fluff behind. But that dog was in work mode, too, so Vio had decided to abuse the fact that she was here alone to bring out two of her own Pokemon. The Dreepy, which decided to take a little dip into the shadows now and the shiny Rattata currently nestling onto her shoulder.
[break][break]
She sighed, mostly to herself. When left to her own devices like this, the thrill of having the redhead around faded a little and left her with the worst of things – meaningful thoughts. And especially after having announced to reveal a secret later, doubt in that regard returned to her mind for a bit. But it was just doubt. A decision, once made, was one she would stick to, as she remained hidden in a corner herself. That was certainly not where she had imagined that she would spend her time during this occasion, but here she was. Working, again.
[break][break]
Fortunately, she at least came prepared to these sorts of things as well. From below, she could somewhat hear what was going on. The anticipation was palpable, but she could remain calm all the same. She’d seen worse. Even if she failed here, that would only slightly discourage Elaine. But even that one would probably cut her slack, given that she was supposedly a civilian.
[break][break]
Not that she would want to fail, of course. “Get in position, any other Pokemon you see, the usual,” she quietly ordered Dreepy, which had exited the wall next to her and then decided to float about into a more open space. Not that anyone would even notice a small little ghostly dragon in all the garish decorations to begin with. It had not evolved yet, despite being one of her oldest companions. But it had learned a lot. And, honestly, it seemingly loved using its small frame for things like this anyway.
Once it did notice the Bombirdier, it decided to float close to it, while Rattata notified Violet of the person on the deck that was ostensibly directing it. Both human and Pokemon waited for the moment of distraction to act – Dreepy by waiting for the Air Cutter to be started just so it could intervene with an Astonish, not to win any combat or such but to startle the dark type and throw off its aim. Just so it could still cause a scene but not hit where it wanted to. Violet, herself, simply decided to announce herself to the stranger. “You know, that kind of Pokemon is not exactly discreet at all. Do you want to be seen?”
[break][break]
Her tone was....almost dispassionate, maybe even bored. Certainly, she did not express much surprise at any of this at all.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights