thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 19:35:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
x
-
@liza
Gavin can't stand politics.

Yet here he was, behind the same desk from which he'd scrutinized . Meeting with Sootopolis' citizenry was a frustrating but unfortunately necessary part of his job. They were agitated with the barrier and the lack of supplies; the knowledge has him equally on edge. They're trying to solve the problem, but it's band-aids slapped on gaping wounds. Too little, too late.

Rubbing at tired eyes, he fixes his hair in a compact mirror and tries to look like he hadn't just crawled out of the grave.

The office door opens: his next appointment. He's certain he doesn't know her, though there's a passing familiarity he can't place. Odd. He shelves the thought for later.

"Good morning." He glances down at his desk, then back at her, amber eyes sharp. "Ms. Borten. How can I help you?"

If she mentions candles, I may just throw her in the ocean.

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 21:39:58 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Oh gosh, oh gosh!

Liza is, like, so excited.

When she come into the office at her meeting time, the young woman looks calm as a cucumber. Maybe even a bit catty. Her stage face is on.

But inside?

Fuh-reaking. Out.

"Oh my gosh, like, hi." Her voice is dusky and sweet. The Fiore accent is thick on her tongue; she immigrated to Hoenn shortly before the barrier had closed around them.

Sitting down, she opens her purse and rummages around before pulling out a crumpled up paper. She smoothes it out before offering it to .

"Like, thank you sooooo much for meeting me, Mister Gavin." The paper she's offering is official. League. "Okay, so, like... I put in an application for Gym Leader, right? Like, could I have it be here in Sootopolis? Please?"
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 22:01:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
x
-
@liza
She's not what he expects.

Though his stoic demeanour does not shift, internally his expectations adjust to this reality. She's not here to yell, which is a plus. She seems thankful for the meeting, even, which is also a surprise. He takes it in stride.

Adjusting his glasses, he glances down at the paper, a frown touching his lips. The seal looks authentic, but...

"Why here?" Golden eyes scrutinize his guest. "I'm sure you're aware of our... precarious situation with Hoenn's League."

At least, he hopes she's aware. Arceus help them both if he's gotta be the one to tell her that the city's been occupied.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 22:55:10 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Oh, um. Well. I, like, live here." Yes, she had moved to Sootopolis knowing full well it was occupied. Housing was dirt cheap and it was a beautiful town. Easy choice.

She feels like that isn't the answer is looking for, though.

Liza is dense and can't read the room for her life. But she's not that dumb. So, she straightens up and pushes her hair over her shoulder.

"Kay, so, like, there are people who, like, aren't in Rocket who live here, right? Like, they deserve to have a Gym even if, like, you guys and League guys don't like each other."

Another folded up paper is pulled from her bag. It's creased when she unfolds it and offers it over. Hand written on lined paper, it looks like the details for the Gym itself. She has poorly drawn music notes and a Machamo in the margins.

"See, like, I want this to be all about working together, right? Like, all the people like me, like, learning to rely on each other. That way, like, we stay out of Rocket's way, you know? And, like, then the League peeps wouldn't get so super preachy. We'd all have each other." Ahe caps this off by drawing a star with her fingers in the air.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 1:08:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
x
-
@liza
"I see."

That explained why she was here.

He studies her plans for the gym, rudimentary though they were. Perhaps 's destroyed concert hall could be rebuilt, or perhaps an entirely new location snug within the crater's walls. That would be easier to control...

He looks back up at her.

"Our problems with the League extend far beyond a mutual distaste." Oh, if only that were the only quarrel between Rocket and their enemies. It would make his life as underboss so much simpler. "Should things escalate, you might be asked to stand in our way. What might you do then?"

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 17:28:08 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Um... come talk to you and work it out?" It's phrased as a question but Liza answers like it's the most obvious thing in the world. Duh, . How could you not know that answer?

"Like, dude, let me like... level with you a little." She leans in a little and lowers her voice as if about to share a huge secret.

"Like, I don't care what you or the League or whatever do. If they run the show or you guys do, like, it doesn't change my life, you know?" Leaning back, she nods.

"I, like, just want to hold contests and, like, sing songs on stage and stuff. I just thought this would be, like, the best way to do that, you know?"
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 21:53:18 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
x
-
@liza
And people called his husband stupid? Gavin manages to maintain his composure throughout, with only the arch of his brow to suggest some unspoken disbelief.

Still, we could use this.

He'd argue that League or Rocket makes quite a big difference, but it'd be like arguing with a brick wall.

"Let's say I'm on board with all of this." He's considering, at least. He levels her with his stare. "Do you have a budget, or are you reliant entirely on the League?"

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 2:34:36 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Liza had to think about that. She couldn't really pay for shit on her own.

"Hmmm... weeeell.... like, gave me, like, a grant for the Contests I set up. Like, I would just charge them for everything."

She shrugs. That kind of thinking wasn't on the table for someone like her.

"Like, I just want, like, a nice and simple place, you know? Like, then, like, I can do Contests and do challenges! Then, like, I can be part of the community here. I can also, like, work on my music! Hey, like, wanna hear my music?"

Even if did not want to hear her music, she was already in her purse again.

A jump drive with a Machamp sticker was produced and handed over.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
devil's choir [m]
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 3:02:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
x
-
@liza
If she said 'like' one more time...

She does. She says it several more times, and Gavin resists the urge of retort because in spite of his exasperation, his life has taught him patience. She might be stupid, but that also might be something he can use.

"If you truly think your performances could bring something to the city, we may be able to assist. Construction, funding..." Ensuring she was indebted to them in some manner might help to tie her hands if it came to war with the League. If they survived the meteor, they'd be right back at each other's throats. "Should the League approve your choice in location, of course. Consider it a gesture of good faith."

It was not. It was shackles wrought in gold.

He accepts the mix-tape, but merely sets it on the desk. He may or may not forget about it later.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights