Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Don't Stop Me Now 'Cause I'm Gavin A Good Time
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 3:56:05 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Uh oh, sisters. Isaac wasn't going to manipulate, mansplain, malewife his way out of this one.[break][break]

The job . . . okay, Isaac was going to be blunt here. It was a disaster. The fact that he was able to hold out until backup was teleported over was nothing short of a miracle, and they were less the cavalry and more the life raft. His entire team had been fainted, the warehouse had basically been reduced to rumble, and what few ill-begotten gains remained were now in League's hands.[break][break]

And to think, this was all at the hands of one man. Sure, it was one exceptional man; a top-tier trainer and gym leader armed with the power of shadows and literally trained to break up the exact situation Isaac was causing. But was Rocket command going to care? Or were they just going to be frustrated that many Rockets were thwarted by an army of one?[break][break]

With how Isaac had been ordered to head to Gavin's office, he had the sinking suspicion that it would be the latter. What was he even going to say? How was he going to defend himself? Would he point out all of the PD that the League had wasted in destroying their own stolen resources? The Grunts whose escape he had bought time for, both on their own merits and through his efforts at stalling until the warp crew arrived? The fact that he, a mere grunt, had gone (mostly) mano e mano with a gym leader using only his wits and his grits?[break][break]

They could be points in his favor. They could just be excuses and distractions. Isaac had never met Gavin in person. However, he'd heard stories. What the man could do to those that had wronged him or stood in his way was the subject of hushed whispers. When even Rockets feared what you were capable of, you were officially not someone to be trifled with.[break][break]

Ugh. No sense mulling over this for so long. This was inevitable, so he might as well pull the bandaid off and get this over with. He made his way to Gavin's office, shoulders squared, eyes sharp, and head held high. A quick knock on the door was all it took to let Gavin know that he had arrived.[break][break]

Arceus, may his fortitude be enough.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 22:31:46 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The door — a thick portal of heavy metal, windowless — swings open as if on its own accord. Only the faintest pink shimmer of a disengaging FAIRY LOCK offers hint.

Gavin sits behind his desk, unsmiling.

"Enter." A command, not a request. "Sit."

The room is cold, the air thick with an intense PRESSURE that makes it hard to breathe. When the door closes behind him, Isaac might notice the sudden absence of outside sound. Metal floors, metal walls, a metal desk barren of any trinkets or glimpses into the personality of the man behind it. There is only a laptop, currently closed.

Should Isaac wait for Gavin to speak, it's a long moment before he does. He scrutinizes the grunt with narrowed eyes of amber, pinning him like a Butterfree behind glass, stoic expression erring on the side of displeasure. If Isaac does try to speak, or after the moment passes, he at last acknowledges, "Merlo. You know why you're here?"

It was always best to get their own assessment of how much danger they were in.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 3:31:50 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Okay. Who the fuck designed their office to look like the Jigsaw Killer's latest piece of real estate? All sound died the second he entered the room. The walls, the floor, even the Arceus-damned furniture were all made of cold, undecorated metal. The air was colder than a walk-in freezer, pressurized to the point where he could feel his lungs straining with each breath. It was like Hell's icy core, and the devil himself was sitting on the other side.[break][break]

The silence was maddening. It was as if he was in a sensory deprivation chamber, but instead of soothing numb there was a bitter cold and an even more bitter glare. It burrowed into the recesses of his brain, and he could feel the urge to say something, anything welling up in his gut. As if to stop himself, he clamped a tooth down on the inside of his cheek. The urge to not die was stronger, and losing his nerve to mouth off in front of an Underboss was a recipe for disaster.[break][break]

Yet even as he fretted over the silence, even as the tension in the room smothered him, even as the inevitability of his failed mission loomed over him, Isaac made sure one thing was clear. He kept his head held high and his eyes locked on Gavin's. Perhaps the Underboss would be able to see the fear that flashed behind them, but it was like what he had told . You couldn't be brave if you didn't know fear. You were only brave if you faced it head on and refused to break.[break][break]

Finally, Gavin spoke, and Isaac could feel himself release a breath that he was painfully aware he had been holding. "I'm here because we had a warehouse full of stolen goods under our thumb, and under my watch all we have to show for it is rubble," Isaac said. The -buts . . . well, ideally, they'd never come. Nothing primed someone to distrust you more than hearing a "but."[break][break]

The -ands, on the other hand, had potential. But they were for later, not for now. It was of utmost importance that Isaac started by acknowledging his failings. Gavin wouldn't be able to rub his nose in it if he came out acknowledging it from the gate, and humble pie always tasted worse when it was being forcefed.[break][break]

All the while, Isaac kept that eye contact strong. It was the only anchor preventing him from floating off into the void of Gavin's office.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 14:29:50 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's office is steeped in fear, uncomfortable by design. 's discomfort is both evident and expected.

"Correct." He's read the report, but, "I want to hear it in your own words: what went wrong?"

. That's what went wrong. Gavin knows as much, but he's interested to see what far-fetched excuses might be pulled from the woodwork.

People got desperate when they were scared.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 15:43:38 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Of course. Of course Gavin wasn't saying anything. Of course he kept his voice so calm, even as cold, calculating malice radiated from his eyes. He giving Isaac an escape rope, and both of them knew damn well that its only use would be to hang himself.[break][break]

Isaac's conscious and subconscious were waging war. His reptile brain demanded flight or fight. The room was as cold and clammy as death itself. It felt hopelessly trapped between the weight of the air and the weight of Gavin's stare. Even Isaac's body fell under its sway, paling ever so slightly as he tried to stow his fear.[break][break]

Yet the conscious mind knew that none of these would help him. Flight; avoiding responsibility, saying what he thinks Gavin wanted to hear, trying to escape the room entirely. These were the tactics of a man who thought he was too pathetic to succeed. Fight: arguing the point, digging in his heels, clashing directly with the underboss. Those were the tactics of a man who thought he was too good to fail. Rocket had no use for either. Gavin had no use for either. And with the mood Gavin was putting out . . .[break][break]

" came to the warehouse. He came alone, with no backup, in an area outside of his gym's jurisdiction. I directed the grunts manning the warehouse to prepare an ambush, because I knew the fight had begun the second he reached rhe warehouse. Greyson is not someone who shows up for routine check-ins."[break][break]

"Unfortunately, breaking sieges is the man's specialty, and ours was no exception. I had hoped to keep him occupied for a while, at least enough time to start evacuating cargo. Instead, he had fought his way to my room in mere minutes, totaling the warehouse in the process. Once I saw this, I called for a retreat. If the grunts continued fighting, they would have all risked capture, and prisoners speak far louder than evidence does. Many made it. Others didn't. But Greyson had come alone, and he could only be in so many places at once."[break][break]

A pause. "So I engaged him myself. I knew there was little chance in winning. But I had radioed for backup when he first arrived, and that meant every second counted. The fight went poorly, but if I'm being honest, I knew victory would take a miracle by this point. Instead, my focus was on buying time for backup to evacuate any remaining grunts."[break][break]

That whole spiel was the what happened. But where, specifically, did Isaac go wrong? "I should have committed one way or the other. Had the grunts stayed in the fight, we had a chance, however slim, of winning. Had thry retreated from the outset, they wouldn't have been in jeopardy, and could have maybe focused on sabotaging our haul to prevent it from falling into League hands. Instead, I bit off more than I could chew, and had to salvage the situation on the back foot to minimize the risk to Rocket.[break][break]

In some ways, speaking helped ease Isaac. In others, it only scared him more. Nevertheless, he choked down the black bile of nerves, looking Gavin right in the eye as he spoke.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 17:26:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin listens in absolute silence. It might not be clear he was listening at all but for the intensity of the gaze that remains fixed on . He is very still, wisps of miasma the only movement as they're stirred by his breath.

There's a long pause after Isaac finishes speaking.

"Your backup," is all Gavin says, when at last he breaks the fragile silence. "How long did it take to arrive?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2022 2:22:40 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac left his pride at the door, both admitted fault and evaluated improvement, and refused to blink even under Gavin's withering gaze. And what did he get for all of that? Ignored. In any other situation he would've gotten kinda heated, but this room was as cold as the arctic circle. He had no heat left to fear. Only a strange, foreign feeling took its place.[break][break]

Intimidation.[break][break]

This wasn't like Cyberspace, where his sense of fight was literally stripped from him by force. This wasn't like the Hounds, where he was systematically worn down until he was helpless. No. This was a case where nothing was stopping Isaac from picking a fight, but he couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger. The only thing in his way was himself, a shiver shooting down his spine as he sat within the shadow of the colossus.[break][break]

Backup? Right! Backup! There were some of those there! "Couldn't have been more than thirty minutes. Heck, it was probably closer to ten, fifteen or so," Isaac said. And most of that time was probably spent on Isaac prepping ambushes and Greyson running down the length of the warehouse. Whenever the action did start, it was quick, explosive, and over in moments. Even Isaac's final "hold the line" moment was maybe five minutes max. The grunts whose Pokemon fell in a single counterattack? They were done in seconds.[break][break]

"Honestly, it was fast as they could've come. A SNAFU this explosive doesn't happen every day." Going up to bat for his men. Isaac really was ready to go down with the ship here, huh?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2022 4:08:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's impossible to tell what Gavin is thinking; his expression does not shift from its chilly stoicism.

Fast, but not fast enough. Isaac insists their competence, but Gavin's thoughts are elsewhere. Perhaps if we were to set up a more intricate network for teleportation in a nearby safehouse. A grunt shouldn't have been given command of the place, but even so...

"Were there any deaths?" League were unlikely to go in for the kill, but a collapsing warehouse posed a significant threat to life and limb. "Arrests?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 0:28:22 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"No deaths," Isaac said, voice matter of fact. "Greyson didn't have any mercy. But he didn't shoot to kill, either. Spirit Shackle was his favored tactic, instead." The memory of countless Rocket grunts lying prone against shipping crates, the floor, the wall, and even the ceiling, ghostly arrows protruding from their sides, still stuck in Isaac's head to this day.[break][break]

But that meant, if lethality wasn't the goal, arrests took their place. "Backup squad did the best they could. Turns out, luckily for us, Teleport trumps Spirit Shackle. Otherwise, it could've been a dozen," Isaac said. Between Tyrantrum and Decidueye, Greyson had basically laid waste to the warehouse's employees. At least the unconscious could be dragged away by their pals, or wake up and hit the road. The Spirit Shackled ones would've been fucked in any other case. "I was able to buy time to get a good few freed. But we had to beat a retreat before we could get them all."[break][break]

"Three didn't make it," Isaac said, eyes breaking with Gavin's for the first time. Instead, they angled down, as if in a moment of silence for the three that had been left behind. He waited until the moment had passed before locking eye contact with Gavin once more, no matter how tempting it was to keep himself away from the Underboss' piercing gaze. "Between the Shadow Sky and the Decidueye sniping from the shadows, the warp team decided it was too much of a risk."[break][break]

The regret about it was etched on his features, further exacerbated by the sheer Pressure that Gavin was putting out. How would the Underboss feel about this? Would he be furious at him for the information that was being given up? What sort of punishment would he have to endure? To a degree, Isaac wished it was them that had gotten spirited away, not him. But he wasn't under Decidueye's watchful eye, and they were, so they were the ones deemed expendable.[break][break]

"I'd've gone back for them if I could. But by the time Greyson was done with me, I didn't have a single teammate left. Man or mon."

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 1:35:25 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
No deaths.

A comfort, however small.

It's marred by the news of the three who hadn't made it out. Gavin remembers the first time he'd been captured by the League, in Kanto, when such a fate often ended in a Rocket assassination. How frightened he'd been. Does expect that same fate to befall the grunts who'd been left behind, knowing Gavin's roots could be traced back to Blackwell's era?

"If you'd have gone back for them, it would have been four arrests. We must know when to cut our losses." His deep voice is flat, devoid of sympathy. Here, he wears the façade of underboss. "What do you think will happen when I'm done with you?"

His golden gaze is fierce, unwavering.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 2:16:27 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]In a way, Gavin's harsh arithmetic almost came as a relief to Isaac. He was between a rock and a hard place. His inaction risked both the safety of the Grunts and the secrecy of Rocket's operations. His action risked bringing that three to a four, with a heavy asterisk on that four. Only one of those Grunts had a full team, let alone a Mega-capable Pokemon. Only one of those Grunts had been chosen to lead that workshop operation. Only one of those Grunts had rubbed elbows with Rangers and Beasts alike. Maybe those three wouldn't know much about Rocket's operations; they'd be outlets for Greyson's frustrations. But if Isaac had gotten grabbed? There's be a problem.[break][break]

Was it egotistical to admit that? Was it cruelty? Or was it just the truth?[break][break]

"You're right," Isaac said. Though the words settled heavy in his heart on the way out, they still needed to be said. He'd done everything he could for those Grunts. Perhaps if an opportunity for a prison break arose, he'd be right there on the front lines. But here in Gavin's office, there was no sense debating the point. "Thank you."[break][break]

And that left the question Isaac dread hearing. What did he expect Gavin to do with him? If he answered pessimistically, his lack of faith may be found disturbing. If he answered optimistically, his naive hopes may have been dashed twice as hard out of spite. And if tried to be cheeky? With an Underboss? With Underboss Gavin of all people? Oh, that'd be his head on a platter.[break][break]

He tried to think back to the flow of the conversation, but the Pressure in his head made it hard. Perhaps, with a clearer head, he would have noticed the distinct lack of leading questions. Gavin wasn't giving him enough rope to hang himself. Gavin was waiting for him to supply his own rope. Every question was simple logistics, baseline assessments of the competency of everyone on this mission. Isaac's opinion hadn't even been asked until this very moment! What kind of gotcha had such little heft put behind it?[break][break]

But Isaac couldn't see any of that. He could only see the metal walls of the room closing further and further inwards. He could see the air choking with a strange, shadowy miasma. He could see Gavin's eyes, boring a hole through his own yet still finding more layers to uncover. One way or another, this would be his doom, right? Yet doom never came. It simply hung overhead.[break][break]

Isaac swallowed down his nerves, maintaining that eye contact no matter how many shudders it sent down his soul. "I think you'll reprimand me duly for my failure," Isaac said. "And after that comes next steps. Whether they are discussed with the underbosses, by your lonesome, or even with me comes down to your judgment. But Rocket is not an organization that rests on it's laurels; there's always an after."[break][break]

The real question remained; would that order be a prison break, or Isaac's execution?

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 2:55:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's always an interesting thing, to see how someone new to Gavin's disciplinary methods answers such a question. Some would fall back on pride, on anger, worsening their impending punishment with every breath. Some abandoned pride in favour of emotion, begging for mercy that they weren't yet aware they'd even need. Some were apathetic, as he had once been. Whatever you think is best, sir. His own go-to answer, when Kanto's shackles had bound him.

Some, like , are merely matter-of-fact.

"I need no further discussion. Enforcement is my specialty."

But what Isaac is too frightened to realise is this: Gavin remembers his days as a grunt, cowering in fear of those who'd governed his fate. He remembers the helplessness of failure beyond his control. He remembers the hollow resignation as he'd been ordered to place his hand flat on a desk, the blade of a knife driven clean through the palm of his left hand, the years of physical therapy and surgeries to restore its use. Even now, as he gestures with his speech, the ugly scars are clearly visible.

"You've been reprimanded. Your understanding of where you went wrong is sufficient. You didn't give yourself command of that warehouse; I will want the name of the superior who did." A fool, they were, to place such responsibility in the hands of grunts alone. "You are not ready for command, but you've proven yourself more capable than the grunts you led through that battle. I will accompany you on your next mission assignment to assess if your competence is genuine, or fabricated. We'll go from there."

Gavin, too, is matter-of-fact.

"Any questions?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 3:16:54 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Oh.[break][break]

Gavin's words were like the sun's rays. They pierced through the cold and the dark to bring salvation. Whatever fears Isaac's mind had conjured up were gone, only a handful of simple, matter-of-fact words standing in their place. The mission was above Isaac's pay grade and out of his hands, yet he did the best he could to salvage the situation and that was worth more than he could know.[break][break]

Tension melted from Isaac's shoulders, and a smile spread across his face. He'd made it through the night. All that stood between him and sweet freedom was just a quick, dead-simple, teeny-tiny task; impressing one of the most legendarily terrifying Underbosses in Rocket as he surveyed Isaac on a mission.[break][break]

Double oh.[break][break]

At first, Isaac jumped to the worst; probation, or perhaps being taken "out for a mission" from which he'd never return. But with the clarity Gavin's words brought him, his mind fought back against the Pressure. Gavin's words weren't the kind of harshness you'd expect from an impossible survey. They weren't the faux encouragement you'd get from a spider, cordially inviting you to see its web. They were firm. They were matter of facts. They were the crucible into which Isaac would enter, and his future at Rocket depended on what came out of the other side.[break][break]

He paused. He blinked. And then his smile grew a hair. "Only one; when do we start?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights