awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
Operation: Harmony [C]
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 0:14:53 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
The elevator ride to 's bunker lab felt like a decade, though that was probably just Oscar's anxiety creating time dilation. Oscar was pinching his palm, occasionally looking to the underboss as if he he wanted to say something before deciding against it. At one point he did build up the courage to speak, but ended up only being able to get out some small talk.

"Blackstone was kinda hard to find ha. Thought it was Lulu's place for a second."

Oscar turned his head away, cursing himself for his cowardice. Why was he scared, it was not like he was in trouble or anything. He just thought--Gavin's request was---well. Oscar groaned loudly, running his hands down his face. "Look I'm not saying this a bad idea, it's just not possible! We're gonna get ourselves hurt if we try--"

Ding! They were here.

The doors opened, and Oscar cringed as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "I dunno man, I'm just fucking freaked out." They stepped forward. "Genesect's programing is not like a behavior, it can't just be taught to stop hunting shadow pokemon. What if this hurts one of your pokemon--or Genesect--or--where are we going again I've never been here..."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 0:53:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Blackstone is visible from most points in the city." The logo was a dead giveaway, but the mention of 's lab makes Gavin shrug. That was a good point. "I should have been more specific."

Gavin is calm in contrast to Oscar's mounting anxiety. Though he notices signs of nerves in his friend's demeanor, he allows the broaching of the topic to be done on Oscar's terms. He has a feeling he knows what it's about.

He's not wrong.

"No, it's not a behavior," he agrees. "It's programming. Which, it stands to reason, can be reprogrammed."

They descend via elevator to the lowest level of the lab, where a card reader requests CLEARANCE V. Gavin swipes his card, and the doors open for them.

"This is my personal laboratory. I don't want to interfere with M.A.G.M.A's work." He was an underboss, but he'd still get in trouble if they damaged something important with unplanned volatile testing. "Whatever risks we take here will be dwarfed by the risks on the field of battle, should Genesect choose to attack Lugia instead of our enemies."

close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
Rosemary, heaven restores you in life.
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 1:31:45 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Oscar sighed as Gavin cleared the way to his work space. He was one hundred percent right; Oscar knew Genesect was a constant risk thanks to its programming, but he always tried to avoid fixing it because it seemed beyond him. Genesect was Cadis's creation at the end of the day, and only he knew how it worked. Without him, changing Genesect's programming seemed impossible.

Oscar pulled out Genesect's red pokeball, scowling as he looked upon it. "Not just Lugia." His tone was hoarse, determined yet tired. "Genesect attacks any shadow pokemon, ultra beast, and poor Chu-e without hesitation. For something created by Rocket, it's ironically the perfect weapon against us." He squeezed the ball, looking up as the doors to Gavin's lab opened. "It's too valuable to be such a danger. I will do what I must, Genesect will become an asset once more!"

Stepping into Gavin's lab was momentarily overwhelming, it was far larger than Oscar anticipated. Who knew they could stuff this much down here? Oscar quickly realized he was gawking and refocused, lifting his arm forward as he opened Genesect's ball. The cybernetic hunter appeared in a burst of red, temporarily facing away from Oscar before quickly turning around.

It lifted its arm as a greeting, proving that at the very least it remembered its courtesy training. Oscar wondered if it even understood what that meant, but in the end he was just glad it kept doing it. Oscar raised his hand, "Hey Genesect. You ready to train?" Genesect turned toward Gavin, staring down the Underboss with expressionless contempt. Oscar chuckled nervously, "You remember Gavin. Come on, you know he's cool." Genesect seemed unconvinced. 

Oscar sighed, "We should probably just get started. What's first boss?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 1:48:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
From the sounds of it, Gavin is fortunate not to be a target himself. Then again, Lugia isn't consuming him from the inside out the way Necrozma seemed to have done for .

"Best you keep good hold of it, then." It would indeed be a devastating weapon in any hands but their own. "Trust me, I have no desire to cause harm to Genesect. It's a fascinating specimen." He'd like to have one of his own, someday, if it became an achievable goal.

Genesect doesn't seem to think so fondly of him..

He lifts his hands as if to show the artificial creature he's not hiding any tricks up his tightly tailored sleeves.

"First, I'd like to know the level of control you can exert over its programming. Do you have any say in its hostility, or will it simply attack its priority targets regardless of your intervention?"

close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 1:59:19 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
As Gavin attempted to show he meant no harm, Genesect continued to stare. It was waiting for something, as if expecting a behavior common to Gavin. The only thing Oscar could think of was Shadow Lugia, Genesect was probably waiting for Gavin to send it out. Oscar rolled his eyes at Genesect's oddities and answered Gavin's question. Or tried to.

"It depends on the priority. I can divert its attention--ugh give it a rest Genesect he's not gonna send it out!" Oscar had taken a wild guess to stop Genesect's incessant staring, and to his surprise it worked. Genesect finally looked away and stepped forward, becoming more curious with its surroundings than Gavin. Perhaps it just needed to feel safe.

Oscar sighed, "Sorry, where was I? Right, so as soon as Genesect locks onto a priority target it is going to attack. The only way to keep it from doing so is to distract it before it can lock on. Usually it's really easy, I just yell at it and it'll look at me and won't go aggro. That's the key though, not giving Genesect enough time to recognize a priority target. A second too late and there won't be any stopping it besides just withdrawing."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 2:04:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's expression shifts from mild confusion to amusement as Oscar snaps at the artificial Pokémon. "Oh. Lugia? She's not with me today."

The Guardian of the Seas was patrolling those very waters, stretching her muscles while also keeping an eye on any threat that might stray too close to her crater home.

"She doesn't much like being shot at."

He could plead with her to avoid a conflict, but the proud legendary would not simply stand and endure Genesect's attacks even at the behest of her chosen. For Gensect's safety and that of Gavin and Oscar, he'd decided against getting her involved in the preliminary stages.

"Can you convince it to incapacitate, rather than kill? I am rather fond of my shadows, and your Genesect is powerful."

close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2022 16:38:56 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Oscar rubbed his chin, glancing at the wandering Genesect. He felt uncertain about Gavin's strategy, but he supposed it was worth a shot. The worst case scenario was that it did not work and they would have to try something else. Oscar snapped his fingers, "Genesect, brief with me." Genesect turned toward Oscar and marched to him immediately. It knew better than to delay when a mission was at hand.

When Genesect came close enough, Oscar would place his hands on its shoulders and reposition it so that its back would face Gavin. Genesect would briefly try to look over its shoulder, but Oscar would force back its attention by snapping. "Keep your eyes on me no matter what." Genesect complied, its large red eyes locked with Oscar's. 

Oscar took a deep breath before he began, "Now Genesect, I need you to listen very carefully. Gavin is about to release a priority one target, do you understand?" Genesect nodded, its body tensing as if preparing for combat. "Good, now what I need you to do is not attack it. Keep yourself from attack for as long as you possibly can, and when you can't hold back any more you must use nonlethal force. Are my instructions clear?"

Genesect hesitated to nod. These orders were--highly unusual. They went against its programming, was it even capable of fighting against that? After a moment of contemplation, Genesect would nod. Its loyalty to Oscar outweighed its confusion. It shall try its best. Oscar sighed, looking to Gavin and nodding to give him the go ahead to release a shadow pokemon.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 3:46:33 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Even among his beloved shadows, Gavin has favourites. When gives him the all-clear, it's a particular luxury ball that he takes from his belt.

His SHADOW MILTANK does not see as much combat as the others, though he does make efforts to interact with her when bonding with the rest. She seems at ease with her surroundings, as if she's been in the labs before, but eyes the GENESECT warily.

"Stay calm," he orders, allowing his SHADOW MIASMA to wreathe her. "Stand down."

She huffs, but does not make any move toward aggression.

close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2022 14:49:30 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Gavin sent out his shadow milktank, and the presence of a possible foe made Genesect tense up. Oscar kept its head facing him, "Remember what I said. You can do this." Genesect hesitated for a moment before slowly nodding. Its orders were highly irregular, but it would do everything within its power to fulfill them. Oscar nodded back, and when Genesect felt prepared it would turn to face the shadow pokemon.

Two seconds went by, and then Genesect's cannon began to charge.

Oscar was prepared though, and he would bitterly withdraw Genesect before it could even get close to firing. He squeezed Genesect's pokeball, harshly breathing out air as he pantomimed throwing it to the ground over and over. As his frustration subsided, he looked to Gavin sheepishly.

"It just can't be easy for once, can it..."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 11, 2022 9:53:46 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's what he expects.

Gavin looks neither surprised nor disappointed as, after a brief hesitation, the Genesect begins to spin up its lasers. He does tense in preparation, fingers curling around Miltank's pokeball in preparation to recall it.

There's no need; Oscar acts first.

"It never is," he agrees mildly. "Any ideas?"

Or was reprogramming the only hope?

close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 21:51:32 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Oscar sighed as he rubbed his lower jaw, attempting to jumpstart some sort of revelation. Usually he would need some coffee and a shit-ton of lollipops but he would have to make do with forcing it. It took a few seconds of silence, but Oscar would soon begin to talk out his thoughts.

"Genesect was tamed using conditioning. Genesect is a machine, most of its thoughts are programmed into it. However, part of it is still a living creature--and that part can learn naturally. I would reward it for desirable behavior with activities it enjoyed: target practice, body waxing, paint jobs, more screen time, etcetera. For undesirable behavior, I would threaten it with a shut down. Genesect is terrified of being shut down; I have only been able to do so by earning its trust. It would fight back against a manual shut down from the start, so I would force it when I wished by refusing to charge its energy. This caused it to be more--receptive of my training."

Oscar began to rub his chin feverishly, his eyes darting from side to side. He was in the zone. "That worked for unprogrammed behaviors, but programmed behaviors need to be--well reprogrammed. This should just mean a software update, but the software Cadis implemented is hyper-encrypted. Its impenetrable by design. This was likely done so that the League could never reverse engineer it if it were captured--but it has come to bite us in the ass. It would take far too long to break its programming, and time is not on our side. But--if we can add a surface level interaction--one that does not change a behavior but reacts to it--perhaps we could force change!"

Oscar clapped his hands together, "Like an electric shock! If Genesect received a shock or some other stimuli every time it targeted a shadow pokemon or ultra beast, it could reset its so called 'thought process' and maybe allow it to correct itself. Are you keeping up so far, I get kinda incoherent when I'm KILLING IT!"

Oscar pumped his fists, he felt pretty good about what he came up with so far...

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2022 20:14:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Conditioning.

Gavin loathes the word. It makes his skin crawl.

Even as Oscar continues, Gavin can't help but to be reminded of his training in Kanto. Under threat of death if he refused and promise of time in the labs if he was a good little soldier, they'd taught him to kill on command and never question his orders.

Reprogrammed.

They'd done that to him, too. He'd been a scientist, once.

It's as if there are insects crawling beneath his skin. He feels hot and uncomfortable. It's panic, though he suppresses it in the presence of another. His throat is dry when he swallows.

He forces a smile at Oscar's enthusiasm.

"It could work," he affords. "Do you estimate the risk to Genesect will be minimal?"

close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2022 0:19:20 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Oscar was oblivious to Gavin's discomfort, the underboss hid his feelings well. He maintained a cheery demeaner as he thought on Gavin's question, it was a valid concern and Oscar took his time considering it. Eventually he would nod confidently, "If we do it right Genesect won't feel any pain. It probably won't even notice anything happened. What I have in mind is a mini-shutdown controlled by me. It will freeze Genesect and perform a soft reset so that it will forget that it was targeting a shadow pokemon or ultrabeast--you know until it sees one again."

Oscar thought a second more before sighing, "It's a temporary solution though. The freeze should ideally only be a few seconds long, but that is enough to leave Genesect vulnerable to attack. We will eventually have to reprogram it properly--when time allows." Oscar looked to Gavin, his dire expression being enough to clue the underboss in on what he was thinking.

"It'll have to be after the meteor--if we survive that is."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,891 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2022 1:41:25 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

"When we survive," Gavin insists, firm.[break][break]

Though it came across to others as arrogance, an inflated sense of invincibility and self-worth, in reality Gavin's insistence against their impending fate was a coping mechanism. He did not want to die.[break][break]

He was terrified of death.[break][break]

So, in lieu of thinking further on the meteor that might soon snuff out his flame, Gavin focuses his attention on the task at hand.[break][break]

"Can we try this now? Or does it require setup?"[break][break]

He means the temporary solution, of course.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=.twtgm] --accent: #765d75; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,811 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 14:28:36 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Oscar tilted his head, scratching his chin as he considered logistics. He might have gotten a little ahead of himself, as the labor involved began to mount higher and higher in his head. He could certainly start now--but he really did not imagine spending his night working on Genesect. What a drag.

Though--Gavin did not need to know he could start now.

Oscar winced, "Fuck, I'll need a little set up. I can get the tools together within an hour, but Genesect needs time before I can shut it down. I mean, I could shut it down whenever but like I said it fucking hates being shut down. Gotta make it comfortable first, might take a bit. I can start at the crack of dawn though."

Nailed it.