awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 17:02:12 GMT
Guillermo Marceliño Avatar
As a child, Memo had hated pumpkin carving. The smell, the feeling of the guts on his hands, the fact that his family called them guts, the sharp knives that made him nervous… it had been overwhelming and awful and many tears had been shed and chanclas brandished.

But he’d loved the final product, the way they lit up with candles, and the shadows they threw over the front porch. Loved to draw faces in the dew collecting in their ridges in the morning while waiting for the school bus.

He’d been so busy, though, that the season had just… snuck up on him. That and, you know, there was an impending apocalypse looming all their heads. He’d been at the grocery store buying last-minute candy for handing out when he caught sight of a pumpkin display and had whiplashed between oh, neat, pumpkins to oh SHIT, PUMPKINS in point oh-two seconds.

As a result, bustled in the door with two of the biggest gourds he could find (an orange one for him and a white one for Alex) as well as a bag of carving implements and a cheap low-thread count sheet (and a metric fuckton of candy).

“We forgot to carve pumpkins," he lamented, hurrying to set up a carving station at the kitchen island. “Where did the time go?”
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 18:18:37 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Honestly, I don’t know!” he exclaimed, watching as the other man came in, armload of pumpkins, a sheet, and enough candy to make even the Easter Scorbunny jealous to all hell.

“Were you able to get enough candy?” he followed up afterward. He couldn’t help but worry that the other looked so harried, so rushed, so… stressed about pumpkins.

And then, he noticed that one of the pumpkins was white.

“Oh, don’t tell me I’m going to make pumpkin pie with all the insides once we’re done?” he mused, walking over and giving the other an affectionate forehead kiss.

“Also, you should calm down,” he went on. “You’re stressing out big-time.”

From somewhere, bleating noises baa’d their approval.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
it gets lonely in this gangster's paradise
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 21:32:50 GMT
“Yeah, I bought, like, one of everything,” he said, setting down bag after bag of goodies. This was his first Halloween in Hoenn, after all; he had no idea how many trick-or-treaters they’d get, and he wanted to be prepared!

Also, he wanted candy for after, but that was beside the point.

“Oh, uh.” He paused to receive his kiss, then ripping open the sheet package and tossing it over the island. “If-- you want?” He didn’t sound very excited by the concept.

Memo still didn’t really enjoy carving pumpkins, and honestly, the idea of eating… the stuff that comes out of it? Yeck. But he liked the finished product, so he had to power through

Alex’s next comment caught him off-guard.

“I am?” he asked, blinking.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 14:27:29 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“You… you don’t like pumpkins, or anything… am I right?” he inquired quietly, waiting for the other to either confirm or deny this.

It was going to be a bit of a shame, really, because he knew most of the staff at the Sanctuary went crazy for the pumpkin pie he’d make for everyone to share whenever this month came around.

“You are,” he nodded. “I just… know. Gay man’s intuition. You should learn to trust that, too. Pretty sure you have one, you’ve just been ignoring it or something. Or not using it at all,” he continued with a sage tone.

The sheet had been spread, and the pumpkins laid out on it.

“So… what design are you going to carve into yours?” he asked next. Admittedly… he didn’t have a fucking idea on what to put on his, if he was being honest. This… this was crazy in and on itself.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2022 23:39:07 GMT
He crinkled his nose, a face of half-disgust. “They’re not my favorite thing,” he admitted, shucking the plastic on the cheap carving kit he’d bought at the store, “but… it’s our first Halloween together you know?” He shrugged, setting them down to search the kitchen for a sharp knife. “It’s about making memories.”

He found a kitchen knife and set it gently on the island.

“Well, I am stressed,”
he said, hating how it sounded like a confession-- like a sign of weakness-- and he tried to hustle right past it. “Because, you know, end of the world? We’re all a little stressed.” He waved his hand, dismissing it.

“I was thinking a Noivern. You?”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 27, 2022 13:05:22 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Everyone’s stressed, you know,” he remarked as he was unpacking the chocolates his boyfriend had bought. Admittedly it looked like he’d raided a fucking candy store and literally got the entire stock. There was just… so much.

“Love,” he began, not realizing how the other man’s mannerisms were slowly rubbing off on him, “…you do realize that this is a whole fuckton of sweets, so tell me… is this really for the kids or is some of this for you?” he teased the other as he found something he never thought he’d see—gummy bears.

“Mind if I grab a pack for myself? I’ve… been wanting to do something for a while.”

As for what design he was going to carve on his pumpkin?

Well, seeing as the one he had was white, there was nothing else to it.

“Obviously. Wooloo.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Oct 28, 2022 22:50:31 GMT
“Yeah,” Memo said, thinking Alex was agreeing with him, thinking that was the end of it all, and they could move past it, “everyone’s stressed.” Now they could-gag- carve their pumpkins, eat some candy, watch Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School, and have a nice evening.

Alex admonished him for the sheer amount of sugar he’d brought home. He doesn’t comment on how his pet names are worming their way into Alex’s vocabulary, but he notices it, and it makes him smile. “Have as much as you like. It’s for-- well, not all of it is for us. But it is for us. And I didn’t know how many Trick-Or-Treaters you usually get and, you know, with the dome, and supply shortages I-- I didn’t want to be underprepared.”

He was stressing again. He exhaled a long, measured breath.

His smile grew when Alex revealed what his pumpkin was going to be.

“Oh, that’ll be so cute. You should put them in a witch's hat or such.”
He thought of their little gaggle of lambs all dressed up in costumes. “Actually, we should do that in real life.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2022 16:47:26 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“What, get them all tiny little witch hats and have them run around?”

He was sure that William would be on board. Smokey, and his suspected progeny—that would be the tricky ones to convince.

“Do you think we have time to make them tiny little hats they can wear or something?” he mused as he went over to a closet and rummaged around for a bowl, before ripping open the packet of gummy bears and dumping it in.

He then made his way over to the bulletproof cabinet, and pulled out a bottle of vodka from the one of the shelves.

What would happen next, hopefully, wouldn’t disgust the other as he unscrewed the cap from the vodka bottle and filled the bowl, making sure that all the gummy bears were submerged in it.

“I’m making drunk bears,” he gestured at the bowl as he sloshed the bowl around a bit, making sure to move the bears around and then reaching for the plastic wrap and covering the bowl.

“That can soak and wait while we… carve the pumpkins. You… you’ve got this, okay?”

He knew the other had just admitted that they didn’t like pumpkins at all, however they were going to have to power through this.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 2:29:27 GMT
“Yes!” he says, a few octaves below an excited squee and two seconds away from clapping his hands together. He exhaled. Take her down a notch, bud. “Or… we could do them all a different costume but in the same theme! Like… Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, or something.”

Memo was lost in visions of a platoon of lambs in costumes. He wasn’t even paying attention to the drunk gummy bears Alex was making (thought if he had noticed he would have made a face about you’re just using plain vodka?)

Alex kind of shook him out of his idyllic daydreams.

“Yeah,” he said, in a long, measured exhale, as he reached for the box of nitrile gloves he’d bought so he didn’t have to… touch the stuff inside. “Yeah. I can do this. But… you go first?”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 20:13:33 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I don’t think I have enough Wooloo for that yet, you know,” he chuckled at his suggestion. “I only have… what, six?” he went on, doing a quick mental count and then realizing that yes, he only had six.

(Only six? Were there plans to get more? Definitey!)

“You want to rope in your own Wooloo while we’re at it, you know? If we’re going with the theme?” he cackled.

Once the gloves were laid out on the table for them to take, he realized that there was nothing else to it.

“Well… you’re the one who knows how to carve, can you show me?” he admitted a few moments later as he took a pair for himself and picked up the knife.

“Like, how do you do it.”

He wasn’t being an ass, he was just… really, completely, honestly lost on how to do it.

“Do we like, cut a hole at the top of the pumpkin and scoop everything out inside first or something?”

He was literally new to carving, because most of the time he would just make the pies outright and not like, put designs on them and stick candles in or something.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2022 20:13:09 GMT
Seven,” Memo corrected, voice mock-scolding as he clicked his tongue. “Forgot about Ovejita. For shame.”

Of course, his little lamb was a part of the family. Their family.

He forced himself to look back at the pumpkin. It was a dizzying thought-- one that made him so happy he might cry. So, instead, he focused down the enemy and steeled his expression into resolve.

“Oh, you’ve never carved a pumpkin before?” Memo asked, expression breaking into something softer and curious. It wasn’t something he’d done in a long time but, given Alex’s predisposition towards bleeding out, he imagined activities centralized on sharp objects weren’t very prevalent during his childhood.

“Yeah, that’s exactly what we do,”
Memo said, face going a little pale as he mentally said a prayer and plunged the knife into the pumpkin.

Despite the strangeness of, you know, stabbing something, this part wasn’t too bad. Carefully, he carved a circle around the pumpkin’s stem, about three-quarters as wide as the gourd. As he retracted the blade, the dreaded sticky orange guts clung to the knife.

“And then we, you know,” he said, already cringing at the smell, “gut it.”

The pumpkin top came off, revealing the goop and seeds inside.

the guillermo/ceej anti pumpkin carving experience is REAL
tricking or treating
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 20:40:19 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He then did a quick mental recount in his head.

“We’re still a couple sheep short,” he chuckled. “If Will’s gonna be Snow White and Smokey’s gonna be the evil King-Queen, then that just leaves us with five or six sheepies to be the dwarves, counting Ovejita of course. So we’re missing a couple more.”

What he did not tell the other was that there was the possibility of him adopting a couple more wayward Wooloo… boy…

At the surprised exclamation of him not having carved a pumpkin before, he nodded.

“Well… yeah. Usually, when Halloween came around they would already be carved when we saw them. Then all we did was go out and get ourselves candy. With me as the white-sheeted ghost of course.”

He watched as the other attacked began hacking away at the pumpkin.

“How… how can you tell when you’ve scooped out enough of the insides?” he asked, quickly preparing a bowl so that the other could start slinging the innards of the poor pumpkin in them.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 19, 2022 23:53:09 GMT
“We could use Atalys,” Memo offered, delighted to be distracted from the task at hand-- the smell was already making him nauseous, bringing forward vivid flashbacks of kicking and screaming on the kitchen floor as his parents forcibly drove his hands into the cold, smelly innard of a beheaded pumpkin: Ester trying to soothe him, Mira much too old and ladylike for this, Oli threatening to upend the gut bucket over his head as a joke. “She’s not a Wooloo but. It’d be better than Jove, anyway.”

He heaves a sigh and hovers his hands, clad in nitrile gloves. The dust from the inner lining coats his fingertips.

“You were always a ghost?” he asks, half a laugh at the irony of it. “Always? Didn’t you ever want to be something else?”

Alex offered him a bowl. Memo closed his eyes and said a little prayer and reached in.

“It’ll be hollow when-- when we’re done,” he said, scooping a big handful of seeds and orange goop and trying really really hard not to heave. He slung it in the bowl and went back for more. “We gotta get it all empty. Might have to cut a little bit off the sides, I think. I haven’t carved a pumpkin in forever so I can’t quite remember.”

tricking or treating

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2022 20:33:50 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The moment he mentioned Jove, he couldn’t help but break down into a fit of the giggles.

“You know that your not-Wooloo isn’t going to agree to that. I mean, the little shit ate some part of my jeans!”

Alexei hadn’t forgotten about that, definitely not. He was… considering telling the other about the two more Wooloo that would be joining the little flock once the papers were completed.

But not now, not yet.

“That was the only thing that was easy enough to do. Well, they didn’t mind anyway. I was just shooting up more and more with each passing year, though.”

Yes, it was difficult being a beanpole.

He then watched as the ‘guts’ were placed into the bowl, and then realized that they would have to do this twice… oh boy.

“You… you need help with the innards?”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
pumpkin queens [m]
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2022 23:15:32 GMT
“Oh, yeah, I remember.” The image of Jove taking a chunk out of Alex’s pantleg flashed in his mind and he, too, dissolved into giggles, forgetting about the lurking pumpkin stench for a second.

“It would be funny though. Maybe we can get him to hold still long enough to weave some of that fake spiderweb stuff through his horns… then he can just stand there and look grumpy and be a natural Halloween decoration.”

He looked his boyfriend affectionately up and down.

“Yeah, it must suck being tall,” he said, the sarcasm heavy in his voice, sardonic smile curling up one corner of his mouth.

Another big chunk of pumpkin viscera was scooped out and flung into the bowl.

“If you want you can start on yours. I’m… going noseblind, I think, so I’ll be okay.” And the gloves protected his hands from most of the blech.

tricking or treating