john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 2, 2022 22:08:36 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The beach is far from John's favorite place.

Sand gets everywhere, the throng of people all hours of the day are exhausting, and the noise. Wingull, children, partiers -- it's all too much.

But most of that falls away once night comes.

Practically no one cares to be by the water after dark; when the chilled air of night is made all the colder for proximity to the ocean. And that's why John loves it.

The noise of people and screaming 'gull is replaced by silence, broken up only by the crash of mild waves. Without his other senses being so abused John feels like things look better and he can smell the salt on the air in a way that makes his blood rush for reasons he can't possibly explain.

The sand still sucks, but what can you do?

It's this love for the beach at dark that draws him to it this evening, a half-empty beer bottle dangling from his fingers. He stands ankle deep in the water with his trousers rolled halfway to his knees with eyes shut. He's at peace. At peace and completely oblivious to the stars in the sky growing closer, and closer, and closer.
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
webnovelist / council assistant
civilian
if desire is the heart’s intransigent verb.
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2022 16:46:59 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

nagi wouldn’t have pegged the beach to be one of his favourite places. [break][break]

the concept of one certainly hadn’t appealed to him: grit in his toes, sweat in his hair, people. and all he had was this — the vague, unpleasant concept of a beach, pieced together from late-night travel tv and postcards — before he came to hoenn. until, shacked up in the lilycove motel, he had found himself shaking sand out of his sneakers every night, counting the stars and listening to the crash of waves into the bay.[break][break]

it’s lucky, then, that his newly-formed habit had followed him even after he'd packed up and moved his boxes from the motel to mauville. head canted up at the sky, lungs brining in the sea air, the glint of the minior’s shells as they plummeted seemed at first to be a trick of the light. dirt smudged on his glasses.[break][break]

nagi blinks. the dirt shifts, growing brighter. closer.[break][break]

“oh. shit.” [break][break]

god. fuck. of course, hoenn.[break][break]

he steps forward, then back, a panicked jig digging divots into the sand until the whistle of descending rock overrides all sensible thought — and then he sprints one shoe flying into the sand, another splashing into the surf, seawater soaking into his socks and up the hem of his pants, he stumbles in a mad dash towards the one other person still standing on the beach, struck dumb by some water-bound revelation. [break][break]

move, moron, nagi thinks. what comes out of his mouth, in a crackling, hoarse yell, is: “up! up! up![break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"] [break]

[attr="class","pkspr pkmn-litwick"]

[attr="class","credit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[newclass=".naggy"]--accent:#717E95; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto;
font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote b, .naggy blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .naggy blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .naggy blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .credit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .naggy .credit a { transition:0.5s all } .naggy .credit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
everyday i think a little less like how i did when i was younger
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2022 22:15:14 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The whistling is lost under the roar of the waves, but the shouting is not. John initially wants to just ignore it, can't whoever is freaking out tell he's having a moment? That he's trying to make the most of this little serene space he's carved out for himself? But the words are just particular enough to get him to open his eyes and throw an exasperated look over his shoulder.

"What, man? What do you want me to --" the first Minor lands. Whistling turns to a pitch high and loud enough to be more akin to screaming as sand and surf are flung into the air. A gout of steam rises from the water. John's eyes fly heavenward only just in time to dive out of the way of the next landing.

He's kneeling in the water when he goes frantically digging through his pockets. His slacks soak through from the thighs down and the front of his shirt has gone translucent. Later he'll complain about how gross it is and how hard it's going to be to get to a dry cleaner -- for now he throws out a pokeball and shouts a command almost simultaneously.

"Dess! Use HYPER VOICE! At the sky!"

The Exploud casts a long shadow over her kneeling trainer. She leans back to look up at the moon and falling stars before letting out an ear-drum popping scream into the night air. Several Minior previously on course to turn John to paste are thrown off course. Their momentum broken, they more stumble than crash into the sea. With barely a splash to announce them.
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2022 16:59:55 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

quick thinking, nagi thinks. a split-second after, the blast of the exploud’s HYPER VOICE sends him reeling backwards, eardrums reverberating. [break][break]

the minior patter into shallow water. the stranger on the beach saves himself from becoming a smear of red paste polluting hoenn’s pristine shores. nagi exhales, tension unwinding from the rigid set of his shoulders — but the stars, blinking not-so-far above them, offer only a moment’s respite. the dopplering tone of rapidly-descending minior wrenches through the air again before he's barely taken a breath. [break][break]

he splashes the rest of way into the water, and thrusts a seawater-and-sweat soaked arm at john. [break][break]

“we should —” his voice is scratchy from his earlier yelling. his eyes comb the shore, flitting across flimsy beach umbrellas and discarded towels; there is nothing sturdy enough nearby to serve as reliable shelter. “ — get out of here.”

[break][break]

[newclass=".naggy"]--accent:#717E95; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote b, .naggy blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .naggy blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .naggy blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .credit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .naggy .credit a { transition:0.5s all } .naggy .credit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2022 2:37:07 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Okay, that was a good reaction. Cool. Unfortunately there's more Minior coming and, embarrassingly, John can feel himself locking up. The whistling of the approaching pokemon brings other images to mind that make his palms and neck sweat. The image of them growing closer. Of falling debris.

The cold touch of a wet hand pulls him out of the moment. He jolts in place before whipping around to look at the young man who's grabbed him.

"Y-yeah, yeah let's move," he pulls loose of the boy's grip only to switch their roles -- grabbing hold of the stranger's bicep, John starts to hustle back towards shore.

"Dess! Keep us covered, girl!" John calls over his shoulder as he struggles to move quickly while even just the few inches of water complicate matters. His Exploud keeps her eyes skyward, and ensures that if the whistling isn't enough to give one a headache her HYPER VOICE will get them the rest of the way there.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 25, 2022 2:47:39 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

with all the running he has had to do since he touched down in hoenn, it’s a wonder how nagi hasn’t built even a shred of cardiovascular fitness. he's already starting to wheeze. [break][break]

how is he going to apologise to the stranger in the afterlife, if his lack of stamina gets them both killed? sorry for being a loser, pls forgive[break][break]

the exploud’s HYPER VOICE tugs him out of his thoughts before he can embark on his panic doom spiral — loud and piercing, an air raid siren taking matters into her own hands to bat the projectiles out of the sky with unerring precision. if not for the spectre of impending cranial damage, nagi would be thoroughly impressed. he tables his admiration for later. survival comes first.[break][break]

water drags at his ankles. he almost trips, heaved upright only by the man's grip around his bicep, coarse sand tearing at the heels of his waterlogged socks in their drunken, headlong stumble.[break][break]

"there!" [break][break]

his arm flails outwards, index finger stabbing at the murky silhouette of the seashore house further up the shore. the lights in the shack have been dimmed, the shutters down, too late in the day for any summertime beachside attraction to court customers. minior litter the sand around it, denting the slate roofing. 

[break][break]

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2022 17:41:03 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The boy in John's grasp grows heavier with every step. Wheezes, stumbles, clutches tighter at his sleeve. John doesn't begrudge him. He only pulls harder and tugs him closer. The grip on his arm is joined by one around his shoulders, and then he has the boy practically under his right side as he all but carries him onto shore.

"Come on, bud!" he shouts over the whistles of Minior and Dess's screaming, over the huffing and puffing of them both. As the boy flags John rallies. Time in Hoenn has turned his adrenal system into a system of spirited first responders -- quick to rush through the whole of him in a moment of peril. Knowing that if he isn't pumped full of fearful chemicals Rocket or Ultra Beasts or now apparently fucking space will take him.

The shout of 'there ' is enough to kick them into overdrive. This fear and need to run exists to find safety and the prospect of relief a roof would give right now is enough to propel him forward. He goes from practically carrying the young stranger to doing so in earnest. He hauls the boy further up until his dragging feet no longer hinder either of them and begins a bull rush towards the shuttered shop.

"Dess! Switch focus! Get the door!" he shouts and the Exploud races ahead of them on heavy feet. She HOWLS as one of her fists freezes over and blows the door off its hinges with an ICE PUNCH. John throws both himself and his passenger into the dark interior of the building now open to them.

"Well shit," he murmurs from his new place on the ground. Already his hand reaches for the wallet in his back pocket as he rolls over onto his side. His eyes search out the boy who'd saved his life (and whose life he likes to think he's now saved in turn).

"How much do you think that'll cost?"

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2022 4:37:54 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

he’s up on the balls of his feet, then his toes, and then the man has tugged him off his feet and into the air, nagi dangling like a ragdoll in his grip. part of him — the bit paper-mache’d out of petty, fragile pride — bristles at the treatment: i can run on my own. the sensible part of him remembers that yeah, uh. no. [break][break]

at least he isn’t left to stew in his humiliation for long.[break][break]

the door flies off its hinges; they go flying in behind it, hurtling into the building in a desperate, forward dive, nagi slack and useless all the way down. sprawled on his belly, damp forehead plastered against the floorboards, he swallows, coughs, tries to get his breathing back under control. the man’s voice rises in a question over the roaring of his pulse in his ears. [break][break]

he shifts, pressing his cheek into the floor, head turned just enough to make out the man’s silhouette fumbling about in the dark, blurred through the sweat-fog over his glasses. he doesn’t feel like getting up yet. with his adrenaline draining, he probably couldn't.[break][break]

“d’rno,” he mumbles, directed more into the ground than at the man. his second attempt at intelligible language goes better. “ten dollars and a kit kat?” [break][break]

outside, the minior continue to fall. whizz. thunk. whizz. thunk; the apocalypse symphony in common time. [break][break]

he’d still be out there, if not for the stranger.[break][break]

"doesn’t matter. i’ll pay for it." he gestures out at the doorway — framing a rectangular slice of beachside sky and letting a draft in — at dess, and then in the general direction of his still-intact skull. “it’s the least i could do.”

[break][break]

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 2:05:42 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
"A kit kat?" John asks with a tired grin, "Those worth a lot where you're from?"

John rolls fully onto his back before trying to sit up. His whole body gives out a figurative groan, one he makes external with his own literal one. Oh god he's getting old. Why does his everything hurt so bad after a little running and a tumble? He tries not to think about it too hard and redoubles his efforts. Somehow he manages to pull himself up into a sitting position.

"Don't worry about it," John waves off the young man's offer and -- feeling ambitious -- grabs hold of a nearby bit of furniture and rises up onto his feet. It's not anymore fun than the sit-up. His knees click.

"You pulled me out of the pan and I kept us out of the fire, far as I'm concerned that's even," he says reassuringly before reaching for his wallet again, "besides you're a ki-- you're young. Wouldn't feel right letting you pay."

Meanwhile Dess settles in the unobstructed doorway. She settles onto her arms and lounges there, staring up at the sky. Her massive body blocks most of the view and some of the draft.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 16:49:23 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

“i’m a working adult.” nagi builds his case by enunciating the last two words with the sulky, aggrieved petulance of a teenager sticking it to the man (and also the man). “we can go halfsies.” [break][break]

petty spite is a powerful motivator: he’s not about to be one-upped by some geriatric. the sight of the man heaving himself to his feet, joints popping, has nagi rallying. he pushes himself up onto his elbows, and then to his knees, and, finally, up — an undulating, unglamorous squirm that nonetheless gets the job done. he's vertical. vaguely. [break][break]

he props his tailbone up against a table behind him to take the weight off his shaking legs. being vertical sucks, but no longer pancaked against the floor, nagi's eyes growing accustomed to the dim light — dimmer, now, with dess' imposing figure guarding the doorway — the man is no longer an oblong blur in the dark. blond, slacks, a soaked-through button-up; office wear? then — [break][break]

“... are you a trainer? you and dess — “ a mimed gesture, his hand karate-chopping an imaginary minior out of the air. “ — good instincts.”

[break][break]

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 0:09:51 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The response from the young man in front of him makes John want to roll his eyes. Like the feeling almost makes it through his brain and to his face before he can catch it. But he does, just barely.

'Working adult ' the kid says. At what? The local Burger Kingler?

"Mhmm, sure, 'halfsies '" he agrees despite the impulse to double down. At the end of the day this kid saved his life, it wouldn't be fair to heckle him. Arguing also isn't anywhere close to the top of his priorities right now. Not with his back aching and his mind reeling and the knowledge that 'holy shit he almost died out there '.

The kid's question that follows cements this position for him. It's flattering, the question, and it perks him up a little despite the pains and the existential dread.

"Nope," he replies with a smile, popping the 'p' as he plants hands on his lower back and stretches backwards. Something else pops.

"Just a working adult," he continues, voice strained by the motion but a clear playfulness still managing to color it.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
incoming! [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 16:50:46 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

nagi purses his lips, mouth curving into a downturned little moue. he knows, with the acute, hypersensitive intuition of every insecure young adult fresh out of the throes of puberty, that he isn’t being taken seriously. [break][break]

still, the agreement to split the cost of the door is enough of a compromise. maturity means knowing where to pick his battles. [break][break]

“could’ve fooled me,” he says, and shrugs. raising the world’s sulkiest olive branch. [break][break]

he heaves his butt up onto the table — a last-ditch spurt of strength from his jelly-arms before they tap out for the night — and scooches backwards to let his legs dangle off the edge.[break][break]

“i’m nagi,” he says. “and you, sir?”[break][break]

he can't help himself; the stress on the sir pushes the title past a polite and formal ‘mister’, into the territory of ‘most esteemed elderly gentleman’. [break][break]

[break][break]