Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 16:43:12 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]It wasn't weird that Ruby hadn't texted him. She really didn't strike Isaac as the type to be glued to her phone. Sure, it had been damn near a month by now without so much as a hey. But it wasn't like he'd been texting her much, either.[break][break]

It wasn't weird that she hadn't visited him in the hospital. Sentimentality was never her strong suit, especially not for someone she claimed to barely tolerate. He may have been kinda-sorta her best friend maybe in Rocket, but theirs was always built on a foundation of light teasing and eye rolls. Not mushy shit.[break][break]

It wasn't even weird when he made a rare appearance on the sub, only to find she'd been even more scarce than he was. She wasn't much of a socialite, so it wasn't a surprise that other grunts hadn't seen much of her. And it was no secret that she found the sub to be a dreary, dismal place. Why go there when she had a nice apartment over in Mossdeep?[break][break]

Maybe it shouldn't have been strange that Isaac hadn't heard from Ruby at all. Despite this, a nervous feeling gnawed its way through his gut. Last he saw her, she was mentioning serving in a war she didn't believe in. After that, she was gone. When it happened to , she had hopped sides and become a gym leader. She was safe and happier than ever before. When it happened to , she was a miserable wreck in League custody that he barely talked down from the ledge.[break][break]

The sheer spectrum of fates Ruby could have faced was nerve-wracking.[break][break]

What else could he do but venture over to that Mossdeep apartment? The uncertainty and worry were like a specter haunting Isaac, and only clarity could put it to rest. He wouldn't need to stick around long. He'd just need to make sure that Ruby was okay. He stood on her doorstep, silently thanking Jade for giving him directions the last time they met, and gave the front door a knock.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 17:42:22 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby was at least over her "moping around the house and making Jade worry" phase, but that didn't mean she didn't spend most of her time at home. At least she was actually doing things like cleaning and cooking for herself instead of ordering endless takeout and kicking the trash out of the way. Arceus, her sister was too good to her. Ruby was supposed to be the one taking care of her, yet Jade had spent a full... had it been a month? Time didn't have a lot of meaning to Ruby anymore. It was a lot longer than Jade should have spent making sure her big sister didn't waste away in her grief.

[break][break]She hadn't told Jade exactly what had happened, of course. Just that Cerberus was gone and that Ruby had been an idiot for not staying in the shelter with Jade. Jade had wept in her arms. Ruby had held her close and let silent tears escape for the first time in years. As it turned out, she'd been wrong about not being able to cry anymore.

[break][break]When the anger had subsided, apathy had slunk down to fil in the gaps. But Ruby's life didn't leave much room for lethargy. She needed to make money to live, which meant going back to doing grunt work for Rocket. The thought had been giving her chills ever since that fateful day in what was now called the Silent Icelands. She didn't balk at the idea of doing a crime syndicate's dirty work; that was par for the course at this point. But she couldn't stop a single dreadful thought from running through her head:

[break][break]Who else will they take from me?

[break][break]A knock on the door snapped her out of her stupor with a sharp gasp. Right. She'd been sweeping. Who the hell was knocking? Arceus, if it was Rocket... She took a deep breath and stepped around the half-formed pile of dust and debris at her feet. If it was Rocket, what could she do but fall in line and do her job? At least it paid the bills.

[break][break]She peered through the peephole. Well, she'd been partially right. The dread churning inside her settled a bit, but she refused to let complacency form in its place. Even if it was just Isaac, he was still a Rocket. There was still a chance he'd been sent to drag her out for some job or something. Might as well get this over with before she got any ideas.

[break][break]She opened the door a crack. "What?" Dammit, that didn't have nearly the bite she'd wanted. She just sounded tired and mildly annoyed.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

[attr="class","rubypokes"]

[newclass=.ruby] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby b] color: #7b6678; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby a] text-decoration: none; color: #7b6678; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #7b6678; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby i] color: #7b6678; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubytag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubytag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubynotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #7b6678; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubyw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.ruby span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubypokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #7b6678; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubypokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 17:59:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]From what little Isaac could see through the crack in the door, Ruby looked like a mess. Her hair was more unkempt than usual. The shadows of the door made her look surprisingly pale. Her voice lacked the usual fight to it, replaced with uncharacteristically mild annoyance that sounded more like a weary sigh than actual words. Something was wrong here, without a doubt.[break][break]

He tried to find words, but they got snagged in his throat every time. A part of him expected that, no matter where she was, Ruby would be okay. She was Ruby. She was tougher than anyone. If she wasn't okay, he expected her to be very much not okay. Exploding with rage, perhaps, or maybe melting into tears. Those would be horrible, but they would at least be ice breakers.[break][break]

Instead, she was Slightly Off. What the heck do you do with Slightly Off?[break][break]

"I just figured I'd pop on over. Wish you a happy new year, y'know?" Isaac said, as if he was the type to just naturally float around Mossdeep. If Ruby knew she was putting out bad vibes, she'd probably just slam the door in Isaac's face. She was never the most direct with the fiddlier parts of her feelings. "I was gonna ask if you wanted to go bar hopping the day of, but . . ."[break][break]

"Guess for once, we just didn't bump into each other."

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 17:41:49 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby looked unimpressed at Isaac's first attempts to get words to come out of his face. But in the stifling silence, Ruby had time to realize something: Isaac had an eyepatch. How the hell had it taken her this long to notice? Arceus, was she still that out of it? If only Isaac had seen her before she'd gotten to this point. That would have looked a lot more Ruby.

[break][break]She almost looked startled when Isaac actually started talking. Her brain had to take a second to process his words. "Oh, yeah, it's one of those," she said. Well, it had been. Jade had quietly wished her a happy new year when midnight had rolled around, but they hadn't done much actual celebrating. Fuck, another thing for Ruby to feel bad for thanks to these goddamned emotions dragging her down.

[break][break]Wait, shit, Isaac was still talking. She snorted derisively, grateful to have something to riff off of. "What, so you could have someone to babysit your drunk ass?" Okay, that was slightly better, but something about her tone still rang hollow, like her voice was still groggy after being stirred from its slumber.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

[newclass=.ruby] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby b] color: #7b6678; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby a] text-decoration: none; color: #7b6678; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #7b6678; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubytag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubytag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubynotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #7b6678; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubypokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #7b6678; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2023 5:05:15 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Arceus. She didn't even know what year it was. There was out of it, and then there was whatever the fuck was going on with Ruby. There was a touch of melancholy to her voice at the realization, but it was largely buried under aggressively neutral disinterest.[break][break]

At least his genuine hopes about the bar crawl awakening a hollow attempt at sass. Ha! There were signs of life to her yet! Isaac tried not to let his smirk show, lucky that the doorframe was blocking most of his face. "Or maybe I just want to see Ms. Above it All finally loosen up a little," Isaac teased. "I'd say you might pull the stick up your ass, but pretty sure you've clenched hard enough to snap it in half by now."[break][break]

He didn't just throw down the gauntlet. He practically flung it from orbit. This would rile the spark back into her![break][break]

Still, just in case, Isaac kept an eye out. Something was up, and he'd need to keep her talking in order to figure out just what it was. This wasn't going to be easy, especially when he could barely see how she was reacting to his jabs.[break][break]

Oh well. Screw easy. He was worried, and Ruby was worth it.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2023 19:24:25 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

If Isaac had said that out loud, Ruby would have rolled her eyes with an "I know what year it is, dumbass." She did, at least now that she'd remembered to add one. Time was just weird right now. Meaningless. Who cared what day it was, really?

[break][break]Isaac's barb probably didn't garner the reaction that Isaac had been looking for. Instead, Ruby straightened up, inadvertently opening the door a bit more in the process and looking downright pissed. "Just because I'm not a fucking idiot doesn't mean I've got some stick up my ass," she nearly growled, as if Isaac had legitimately offended her.

[break][break]With the door opened more, Isaac might have been able to see some of the apartment's interior. Despite Ruby's unkempt appearance, her living space was surprisingly well-organized. It was far from perfect, but there weren't items haphazardly strewn on the floor or anything like that. Actually, the floors were extremely clear of any hazards or debris besides some dust collecting in a few spots.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2023 19:47:01 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac blinked a little in surprise. He'd definitely twisted the knife harder than usual, but he didn't expect Ruby to take it that hard. Their entire friendship up to this point had been built on verbal jabs, and she never seemed like the type to let them get to her so severely. Her mood definitely wasn't where it should be, but Isaac couldn't help but wonder if her snap was a delayed reaction or true feelings bubbling to the surface.[break][break]

He made a mental note to give her more credit between the teases. Arceus knows she deserved it.[break][break]

As he thought about his next words, he couldn't help but notice her living space. It looked organized. Very organized. Her room in the sub was surprisingly organized for someone so rough and tumble, but this made it look like a mess in comparison. Both of those rooms made her look like someone pulled her out of a dumpster in comparison.[break][break]

Ruby wasn't the type to turn to chores to cope. That was, like, the opposite of breaking shit with a hammer. No, there had to be somebody else giving her some support. An SO? No, no. There's no way they'd leave her alone like this. That left one possibility. Silently, Isaac made a mental note to thank Jade for keeping his friend on her hinges.[break][break]

Of course, an open door went both ways. Before, when Isaac was peering through a crack in the door like Megamind hunting for bitches, it was easy to dismiss as a weird shadow on his face. Now both halves of his face were visible, along with the startling lack of an eyeball accompanying it.[break][break]

"Hey, c'mon. Give yourself some credit. You're a lot more than not a fucking idiot," Isaac said, his voice dropping down a little from its put-upon bravado. "You've actually got a pretty solid head on your shoulders. Even if sometimes you're too busy using it to headbutt people."[break][break]

"Speaking of butts, sorry for being one."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 18:37:41 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

One other thing about the apartment may have stuck out to Isaac, assuming he could see it past Ruby and the crack in the door: a Dusk Ball sitting next to a picture frame, turned just out of view, on a side table in the living room. In turn, Ruby got a better view of Isaac's face and the eyepatch he now wore. So it hadn't just been the shit light playing tricks on her.

[break][break]Ruby had been prepared to slam the door in Isaac's face. It would have been satisfying, a way to release that pent-up... anger? frustration? whatever that had been building up, falling limply over, and then struggling to get back up again for the past couple of months. Of course, most of it hadn't been Isaac's fault. He was just a good outlet. But then he went quiet, and Ruby's momentum stumbled to a clumsy stop. The strength drained from her arm, leaving it hanging from the doorknob.

[break][break]His next words were more of a disorienting blow than any insult could have been. How the hell could anyone become so sincere mere moments after an insult like that? The answer was probably "because it's Isaac," but trying to untangle what the hell that meant was beyond Ruby at this point.

[break][break]"What the hell is up with you?" she asked, completely missing the irony of the question. "Why are you really here?"

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 18:49:42 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Same as what's always up with me. Sheesh. You'd think with months of me pestering you, you'd figure out what my deal is by now," Isaac teased. He could already feel some banter slipping back in, but he bit his tongue and reeled it back. In Ruby's current mood, he didn't want to press her.[break][break]

She asked why he was here. "Didn't I already say?" he asked, a touch of curiosity in his voice. "I wanted to wish you a happy new year, and I realized I hadn't bumped into you in a while."[break][break]

"There gotta be some deeper reason for checking in on someone I care about??"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2023 19:38:56 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

"What, your deal of not actually being able to commit to being an asshole?" Okay, wow, that may have been Ruby's worst attempt at an insult ever. Even if it was true.

[break][break]She was about to point out that, yes, she'd heard what Isaac had said but had asked why he was really here, but then he asked something else. He asked if he needed a deeper reason for checking on someone he cared about. Fuck. Ruby and Isaac hadn't spoken since their ice cream outing with . Since then, the three-pronged METENO operation had happened. Despite him saying he wanted to be part of the meteoroid mining, the absolute mad lad, Isaac hadn't been there. And now he was at Ruby's front door with an eyepatch.

[break][break]Fuck, Ruby hadn't even thought to ask after him, had she? If Isaac was incapable of committing to being an asshole, Ruby was a master of being one by complete accident. And that should have been fine! Ruby wasn't exactly known for being the friendliest grunt this side of Rocket. Hell, that kind of thing could mean weakness in an organization like this. So why did it feel so gross right now?

[break][break]"For all I know, you're here to make me get back to work." There wasn't an ounce of an actual accusation in that sentence. "If you are, just tell me instead of giving me the run-around."

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2023 19:57:55 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"You're always throwing shit at me. I always laugh it off, throw shit back. I kinda figured that was just our way of bonding, y'know? You didn't seem like yourself, so I tried to goad you into the same ol' same ol'."[break][break]

Isaac sighed, a pained look in his remaining eye. "If that's really what you think of me, I guess I've had it wrong the whole time, huh?"[break][break]

A hot blush started to burn at the corners of Isaac's cheeks. "Well, I don't think any of that about you, okay?" he half-mumbled, averting his eye. "You're dependable. And fun to spend time with. And one of the most capable people I know. And if I've ever made you feel like you're not, then I'm sorry."[break][break]

If only Isaac knew how much more complicated the situation was.[break][break]

"Anyway, that's all, really. Not like I can drag you back in action when I'm still out of action myself." Between his guilt and the struggles with his eye, Isaac's smile was joyless. Nevertheless, he tried as hard to keep it up as Ruby tried to keep her venom, each to the same complete lack of effect.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Feb 2, 2023 22:34:34 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Okay, Ruby knew she wasn't firing on all cylinders (to put it nicely), but what the hell was Isaac going on about? "What, are you trying to be an asshole or something?" she asked, genuinely confused.

[break][break]And then, as if to prove that he very much wasn't, he called Ruby dependable. Said she was fun to spend time with. Said she was capable. And apologized if he'd ever made her feel any other way.

[break][break]"Stop," she bit out, punctuated by her fist hitting the door frame. "Stop fucking... complimenting me. Arceus, what the hell are you going on about? You're not making any sense." The fight was coming back to her voice, but it sounded pained. It was almost as if the fight wasn't against Isaac, but against herself. "What the hell do you mean, what I think of you? I just said you're shit at being an asshole, didn't I?"

[break][break]Even Ruby could see that Isaac's smile was hollow. "You look like shit," was all she knew to say about it.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2023 1:31:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]". . . Oh."[break][break]

Isaac's blush deepened a little as Ruby reminded him how little sense he was making. "I thought you were, like. Accusing me of not committing to being an asshole enough. Like, being nice one minute, an asshole the next, playing with your feelings. Y'know, that kinda thing?" He could feel a cricket chirp in the interim. "Arceus, it sounds really dumb when I put it that way, huh?"[break][break]

If he had any lingering doubts about their dynamic, Ruby cleared them up in a single, clear statement. Her observation brought a spark of life back into his grin. "Right back at ya, Rubes."[break][break]

"You wanna talk about it any?" He didn't press the issue or do any other digging. Honestly, Ruby could slam the door on his face right now, and he'd at least be glad to have seen with his own eyes (well, eye) that she was in one piece. But he had to at least put the offer out there for her.[break][break]

Somebody had to, right?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2023 21:45:05 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

"Oh," Ruby echoed back. "No, you're just... you." How else was she supposed to describe Isaac's Isaacness? "But you're fucked if you ever actually need to be an asshole to someone."

[break][break]Ruby smirked sardonically at Isaac's comeback. That was more like it. If he was gonna be concerned, he could at least pretend to be a dick about it. ... Arceus, what the hell was their relationship?

[break][break]"No," she said automatically, but the word tasted bitter on her tongue. The only person she'd told about Cerberus—aside from those who'd been there to witness his fate, of course—was Jade, and she hadn't even gotten the full story. It wasn't like Ruby could just tell her that she'd joined the world's stupidest Rocket operation and gotten one of her best friends frozen to death in the process. She'd been forced to bury the truth in her heart, and it ached for that.

[break][break]"But you're gonna find out, anyway, so fuck it." She finally opened the door fully and stepped out of the way so Isaac could come in.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Making a House Call [S]
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2023 3:54:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Gee. Be a shame if I was to make that my job description or something." There was a wry smile on Isaac's face, even if there was a little bit of pain behind it as well. Were he not so efficient at getting tasks done, he'd really be the worst Rocket, huh?[break][break]

At Ruby's smirk, Isaac understood. Even hurt like this, she didn't mind their dynamic in the slightest. If anything, him being a little brat might bring a little bit of normalcy into her life. He tucked that mental note away for the time being, though. There was a time and a place for those shenanigans, and this wasn't quite it.[break][break]

Especially not when he was about to learn the truth.[break][break]

Isaac entered the surprisingly pristine room. It stood out substantially compared to the very much not pristine Ruby. Again, Isaac found himself wondering how this could be. Then he noticed that some of the tighter corners and more isolated nooks were a lot more haphazard than the rest. Just looking at the difference in dust between them was like night and day.[break][break]

In that moment, it clicked. Isaac owed Jade for keeping an eye out on Ruby when nobody else could.[break][break]

"I'm glad you know me that well, at least," Isaac teased. Ruby knew he was inquisitive, clever, and frustratingly loyal. One way or another, through accident, intentional snooping, or just his dogged attempts at supporting Ruby, Isaac would end up learning the truth eventually.[break][break]

Might as well let it be on her terms, right?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]