October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
Treasure Hunt [Postdormitum]
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2023 3:36:43 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

The League was moving some of those weird "treasures" from the Ultra Deep Sea, and Rocket wanted someone to intercept the couriers and take the goods. "Someone" ended up being Ruby and one of the few people she could truly call a friend, . This would be interesting.

[break][break]"Hurry up, Slowpoke!" she called, hoisting her trusty nail bat over her shoulder. "They're not gonna wait for us!" Ah, it felt good to be ribbing on him like this again. He wasn't even being all that slow, but teasing him was fun. It helped distract her from how fucking creepy this place was. Dark caves, weird Pokémon (if they even were Pokémon), that freaking heartbeat noise she always heard in the background... This place made the Mechanical Kingdom seem welcoming.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

[attr="class","rubynotes"]

notes.

Cargo

[attr="class","rubypokes"]

[newclass=.ruby] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby b] color: #7b6678; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby a] text-decoration: none; color: #7b6678; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #7b6678; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby i] color: #7b6678; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubytag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubytag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubynotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #7b6678; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubyw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.ruby span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubypokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #7b6678; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubypokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2023 5:39:02 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Third verse, same as the first.[break][break]

In most regards, Isaac's previous cargo missions had gone off without a hitch. The caravan that he and had brought over to Rocket's forward base was untouched, not a single box of supplies missing. The one that he and had purloined was full of the Ultra Deep Sea's treasures, Ashley's efforts ensuring that not a bit of it went to the League.[break][break]

Indeed, if it wasn't from trauma he faced from the wanton loss of life, Isaac would've considered these absolute wins.[break][break]

Ruby didn't have the deep emotional awareness that lurked beneath Gavin's surface. She didn't have the easygoing, sunny disposition Ash faced the world with. In both her private and public lives, she seemed a good bit gruffer than either of them. It would be all too easy for most to think that this mission would just be a hat trick of wasted lives and ill-gotten gains.[break][break]

Yet Isaac knew Ruby well. He knew the sensitivity that she hid from the world. He knew the selflessness that she demonstrated time and time again, even when being called on it flustered her. He even knew the dreams that she dared not let anyone discover. She was one of the people in Rocket that Isaac found kindest and most dependable, though he dared not admit it.[break][break]

She was also a blast to mess around with. Isaac put his hands behind his head, leaning back and intentionally slowing his pace.[break][break]

"You sure about that? We're pretty important, after all." It was important to keep the banter flowing. That was their language. That was how they regarded each other. If he let it drop, she'd know how rattled he'd been from the last two missions, and that would be unacceptable. " 'Sides, have you seen these caves? They're a major pain to navigate, especially when a supply route lasts one, maybe two caravans before getting derailed, swallowed up, or just plain Lost."[break][break]

They were just a single cog in a far larger, far more hostile machine.

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2023 22:00:46 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

She wouldn't say this out loud, but Ruby was glad this wasn't a mission to derail actually vital supplies like food and medicine. She'd long given up on the delusion that she was a good person, but screwing people out of the things they needed to live just seemed like a dick move. Maybe Isaac was onto something with his thoughts...

[break][break]Ruby snickered at Isaac's quip. "Yeah, they're gonna roll out the red carpet for us when we show up to kick their ass and take their stuff." The reminder of the nature of these caves was more sobering, but Ruby took it with an annoyed roll of her eyes rather than the horror it probably deserved. "Seriously, this place is such a pain. You'd think it was trying to screw with us."

[break][break]It had been said as a joke, but now Ruby wondered if they'd stumbled into something even more screwed up than just a weird alien dimension. This place even had what sounded like a heartbeat...

[break][break]"So let's make this quick before we end up Lost," she added, hoping it blended in well enough with the banter to hide her nervousness. "Come on, I'm not gonna stop and wait for you if you lag behind."

[break][break]She knew that was a lie, but she really did want to get this over with before things got too Ultra Deep Sea-y.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

notes.

Cargo

[newclass=.ruby] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby b] color: #7b6678; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby a] text-decoration: none; color: #7b6678; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #7b6678; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubytag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubytag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubynotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #7b6678; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rubynotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #7b6678; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rubypokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #7b6678; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2023 23:04:00 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]" 'Course they are. They'll even break out the fanfares and the fruit baskets, just so we know we're loved." Isaac couldn't help but snicker at the ridiculous reaction he'd cooked up. Maybe in his dreams. Then again, when he considered it meant victory without a fight, maybe it was more in line with his dreams than he let on.[break][break]

At the mention of the Ultra Deep Sea's various forms of fuckery, Isaac's expression sobered. "Oh, Rubes. I don't think it's trying," he said, his voice taking a turn for the weary. "I know it is."[break][break]

Could anyone blame Isaac for thinking that? Between the Interdream Mist, the seemingly endless tunnel network, the presence of two of the most dangerous and hostile Ultra Beasts, and the fucking meat rocks, there wasn't a single good vibe to be found here. Was there some greater hostile consciousness at work? Or had the realm simply adapted to be as hostile as possible?[break][break]

Whatever the case, they weren't the ones who currently had to deal with it. Ahead of them, Isaac could hear what sounded half like a jackhammer grinding through stone and half like a chainsaw tearing through flesh. "Sssh. Y'hear that?" Isaac asked, his voice dropping down to a whisper. "We're close."[break][break]

Up ahead, a League caravan remained stalled out. A wall of stone and rubble held sturdy in front of it, pushing back against the best efforts of a Beedrill, a Fearow, a Dunsparce, and an Excadrill. None of their Hyper Drills were doing a thing to stop the wall, yet with no other exits in sight what choice did they have but to keep pushing?[break][break]

"Hey. Remember what I said about red carpets?" Isaac whispered, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice. "I think the Realm was listening."

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 17, 2023 20:25:45 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby snickered right along with Isaac's nonsense. But then his expression sobered and his voice turned weary as he claimed he knew this place was fucking with them. Her mouth tightened into a frown under her skull bandana, and this time, her elbowing had more desperation behind it. "Quit trying to scare me, asshole." It was a lot harder to pass that one off as a joke when she so desperately wanted to believe it was true.

[break][break]She didn't need to be told to shut up when she heard that awful sound up ahead. Well, they'd found the supply caravan, and they were stuck trying to Hyper Drill through a wall. That put a grin on Ruby's face, but it quickly faded when Isaac spoke up again. "Shut up," she whispered back, already pulling out Delphi's Ultra Ball. "Let's just beat them and take their shit."

[break][break]The smart thing to do would probably have been putting together a quick strategy and attacking in tandem, but Ruby wasn't feeling particularly patient at that moment. Instead, she tossed Delphi's Ball right at the Leaguers and said a single word of command: "Bulldoze!"

[break][break]The opposing trainers barely had time to even register the Garchomp's presence before she roared, stomped the ground, and made the cavern floor shake so hard that part of it jutted upwards to strike even the Beedrill. The only foe spared her wrath was the Fearow, who was able to fly high enough to avoid the quake.

[break][break]"Shit!" one of the League trainers shouted. "Fearow, Drill Peck!"

[break][break]While its comrades recovered from the sudden attack, the Fearow let out a mighty screech and flew right at Delphi, Flying-type energy around its beak spinning like a drill.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 18, 2023 2:19:13 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Yeah, no, that's not happening."[break][break]

Instead of burying itself into Delphi's chest, the Fearow found itself held at arm's length by a thick, powerful tail. Tarkus the Tyrantrum had hit the battlefield at just the right time, turning what should have been a dead-on hit into a near miss. The Fearow squawked in irritation, jabbing its head left and right to try and land a solid hit on Tarkus.[break][break]

Tarkus simply chuckled. He dropped his tail, wheeling around in a single, smooth motion as the Fearow jolted forward. Before it could find purchase, Tarkus smacked down to earth with a vicious Head Smash.[break][break]

Needless to say, the caravan operators were starting this fight on a bad foot. However, they weren't about to let these insults go without a fight. The Fearow furiously flapped its wings as it pried itself off the ground, the thick down of its Featherdance sticking onto Tarkus and Delphi. At this rate, their attacks would be far weaker than usual.[break][break]

This was the rest of the trio's time to strike. Dunsparce coiled up like a spring, launching itself towards Delphi at surprising speeds. Blue and red energy gathered around its head, the Dragon Rush looking almost like a meteor streaking across the sky. Excadrill tunneled into the ground, Tarkus swiveling his head around to try and catch wind of where he was burrowing. His efforts were unsuccessful; the Excadrill rocketed up and smashed him right in the chin with a heavy Dig.

The Beedrill glowered at Ruby, drills and stingers pointed right towards her. Its wingbeats reached a crescendo, the only warning it gave before it divebombed right towards her.[break][break]

Perhaps she'd be surprised when, before it could come close, Isaac smashed it right in the side with his backpack. The heavy bag full of supplies and backup Pokeballs wasn't enough to immediately knock the Beedrill out of the air, but it was enough to disrupt its dive. Now focused on Isaac, the bee let out a furious hiss. It was Isaac's turn to be on the defensive now, backing up and twisting his body out of the way of a furious barrage of Twinneedles.[break][break]

Worth it. Like hell was Isaac going to see another person important to him get skewered by a Beedrill.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 18, 2023 21:58:58 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Delphi turned with an annoyed growl to Tarkus. She could have handled it! Before she could start a proper argument, though, the Fearow stirred up a Feather Dance, covering her and Tarkus in a mass of down that would no doubt soften their blows. Delphi's ire immediately turned back to her opponent where it belonged, much to Ruby's silent relief.

[break][break]The other Leaguers were quick to recover and start commanding their Pokémon. Even with the Dunsparce slowed by the Bulldoze, its Dragon Rush was too fast for Delphi to dodge, forcing her to hold her finned arms in front of her for protection. The attack did some good damage thanks to its super-effectiveness, but the Dunsparce winced back after it'd scraped against Delphi's Rough Skin. The Garchomp smirked, showing off pointed teeth.

[break][break]The Excadrill was busy with Tarkus, which just left the Beedrill unaccounted for. Ruby looked to it just in time to see its stingers pointed right toward her, and then its wings buzzed furiously before it shot right toward her. She hurried to lift her bat and hold it with both hands, but then something else smashed into its side. Isaac's strike with his heavy bag may not have knocked it out of the air, but it did get its attention off her... and right onto him. Oh, hell no.

[break][break]"Fuck off!" Ruby shouted as she brought her weapon down onto the Beedrill's head. It wasn't as strong as a Pokémon's attack, but it was still enough to stop it in its tracks as it righted itself.

[break][break]Her furious gaze whipped to the caravan. "So that's how you little shits wanna play? Bring it! Delphi, Swords Dance! Grimm, Stone Axe that Fearow!"

[break][break]She had to move her bat to one hand to release her Kleavor, who immediately leapt at the Fearow with both axes poised to strike. She hit it once, then twice, the Sharpness of her blades ensuring her foe wouldn't last long under her onslaught. Splinters chipped off from the force of the attack and hovered ominously around the Fearow.

[break][break]Meanwhile, Delphi let out another roar, summoning swords made of light around her. They clashed together, empowering her enough to nullify the Feather Dance's effects.

[break][break]"Grr, Dunsparce, hit it with another Dragon Rush!" the person who was presumably the Dunsparce's trainer shouted.

[break][break]"Show 'em a real Dragon Rush, Delphi!"

[break][break]This time, the blue-and-red energy gathered around both combatants, and they launched at each other like two colliding comets. Both were sent skidding back, clearly pained, but between the initial Bulldoze, Delphi's Rough Skin, and the force of that final strike, the Dunsparce went down while Delphi was still standing, worn down but ready for more.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

notes.

+10 MP for KO'ing another Pokémon, +10 MP for assisting Isaac

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 18, 2023 22:45:17 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Ruby wasn't the only one with extra Pokemon at her disposal. Before the Beedrill could recover from his daze, Isaac lobbed another Pokeball down towards the ground. A purple Braixen emerged from a plume of silvered flame, brandishing a stick towards the Beedrill as if it were a weapon.[break][break]

The Beedrill tried to rush this new threat, but it was to no avail. In a single twirl of her stick, Miyuki sent a kanji-shaped plume of flame rushing towards the Beedrill. The force of the Fire Blast sent it flying back into the cave wall. Outside of the occasional furious twitch of its wings, it seemed down for the count.[break][break]

Excadrill and Tarkus were having a far more even clash, Metal Claws and Dragon Claws parrying one another out of the way. The Excadrill had the clear speed advantage, but Tarkus was surprisingly patient for one of his species. While the Excadrill burned his stamina on a lightning assault, Tarkus handled each blow as it came, keeping his energy reserved high even as he was forced onto the back foot.[break][break]

Finally, he saw his moment. As the Excadrill threw his entire body into a final crossing slash, Tarkus took a step to the side, allowing the Excadrill to shoot right past him. Before it could right itself, he smashed his tail atop it with enough force to kick up an Earthquake. No chance in hell the Excadrill would be getting up from that anytime soon.[break][break]

With more Pokemon on Isaac and Ruby's end, and two of the League's own fainted, their 2-on-4 quickly turned into a 4-on-2. Isaac could see the League officials fumbling with their own Pokeballs, but who did they have to protect them? A barely-conscious Fearow and a Beedrill that was just now pulling itself on the floor?[break][break]

It was all too easy for Isaac to cross the gap between them, rushing one League official and pinning his arm behind his back. The Pokeball dropped from his hand, Isaac catching it in the crook of his ankle to prevent its release from triggering against the floor.[break][break]

"Face it, buddy. You lost this one," he said. He wrenched his grapple ever so slightly, turning up just enough pain to emphasize his point. "Are we really gonna drag this out? Or are you gonna let me and my friend handle cart duty from here?"[break][break]

He refused to let this turn into another bloodbath. He had to end this battle before it truly began.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 21:01:22 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Before the Leaguers could send out more of their Pokémon, Isaac rushed forward and pinned one's arms behind his back. Smart move, but not one Ruby could pull off without dropping her weapon.

[break][break]"Delphi, grab one of 'em," she said instead. "No attacking yet. Grimm, block the exit."

[break][break]Of course, Delphi didn't have actual hands to grab with. Instead, she slipped behind the Dunsparce's trainer and held one of the blade-like fins on her arms to their neck. They grit their teeth, hands frozen at their sides before they could reach for another Poké Ball. Grimm, one eye on the barely conscious Fearow, stood at the tunnel the Leaguers had come from, her axes glinting in a shaft of light that penetrated the ceiling.

[break][break]"I shouldn't have to say it," Ruby said to her opponents, "but if you try anything... well, let's just say Delphi's got one hell of a trigger finger." The Garchomp's cruel, toothy grin matched her trainer's.

[break][break]The trainer in Isaac's grasp grunted at his painful hold. "You people are insane," he growled.

[break][break]"Lee," the one in Delphi's grasp said in a tremulous voice, "don't piss them off...!"

[break][break]"Yeah, Lee don't piss us off," Ruby said, tapping her bat against her open palm. Naturally, she avoided the nails; that was a mistake you only made once. "Besides, last I checked, you sent your Beedrill after us first. That thing damn well could have killed me, you know."

[break][break]"You fucks deserve it," Lee gritted out.

[break][break]"Lee, shut up!" the Fearow's trainer hissed. She had her hands up with her palms facing Ruby and Isaac, showing she wasn't trying anything funny. "Look, if we let you take the cargo, will you let us go?"

[break][break]Ruby pretended to think about that. Of course she was going to let them go. She was a Rocket, but... For a moment, her jaw clenched, and the memory of a face frozen in fear in its final moments flashed through her mind. She quickly chased it off with a cocky grin.

[break][break]"I think we can do that, yeah. What do you think?" she asked Isaac, knowing full well what his answer was going to be.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 23:08:03 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Nah."[break][break]

Lee writhed in Isaac's grip. The other trainers gaped in surprise. Even Tarkus raised a confused eyebrow Isaac's way. However, Isaac paid none of them any heed. Instead, keeping Lee's arm wrenched behind him for compliance, he walked over to the caravan.[break][break]

"Hey, buddy. Lee, right?" He hopped onto the back of the cart, patting the free space next to him. "C'mon. Take a seat. I've got a story for you."[break][break]

Gapes of shock gave way to gapes of confusion. Lee shot Isaac the filthiest of looks. "You're shitting me, right?" he asked. Isaac's expectant look, a disconcerting mixture of warmth and hardness, was proof he wasn't kidding around. The trainer being grappled by Delphi nodded, a pleading look on her face. If that what it was going to take, then he might as well bite the bullet and bear it.[break][break]

It was story time.[break][break]

"Y'know where I was earlier today?" he asked. "I was in a tunnel just like this one. Tracking down a caravan just like this one. Getting into a scuffle just like this one. Only difference is, I wasn't with my lovely partner here. No, no, no. I was with someone else. He's a lot like me, actually, but worlds apart in just one key place."[break][break]

"We gave 'em a deal, y'see. They give us the caravan, and we let them leave. No mess, no fuss, right?" The heavy sigh rolling out from Isaac answered his question before he even asked it. "Turns out, one of 'em wanted to be a hero. Came rushing me with a knife while my back was turned. And my friend? Well, I told you there was once place we didn't see eye to eye."[break][break]

"Unlike me, he didn't hesitate."[break][break]

Isaac leaned a little closer to Lee, his single eye burning with enough intensity to cow the other's glare. "You know what it's like, seeing the life flow out of a man's eyes right in front of you? A man you had no ill will towards, a man you never even knew, who just had his life brought to a screeching halt? Whose last breaths were probably spent cursing you, and whose last thoughts were probably spent hating you?"[break][break]

"Do you know what it's like seeing the life flow out of your friend's eyes, as each life he takes dulls him to the pain a little more than the last?"[break][break]

Never letting his eye contact break from Lee's, Isaac reached into the cargo hold of the caravan. He pulled out a green ball of goo, one of the many Sticky Globs that both factions had been tracking in lately. It made little sucking sounds as he tossed it up and down inside of the palm of his hand.[break][break]

"And to think. This is what your comrade had to die for. This is what my friend had to sell his soul for. A shitty little ball of goo." He gave it another toss in his hand, noting how its membranous surface rippled with each catch. "A shitty little ball of goo that someone's just gonna toss without a care in the world. Just . . . like . . . this!" He tossed the Sticky Glob at the cavern wall, the "precious cargo" popping with an unceremonious splat.[break][break]

He didn't even look back at the impact. "This what you think your life's worth, Lee?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2023 22:37:49 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby rose a brow at Isaac's casual "Nah." That wasn't what she'd expected to hear. Nor did she expect Isaac to drag Lee over to the caravan and sit him down for storytime. Then again, this was Isaac they were dealing with here. You had to learn to expect the unexpected with him.

[break][break]With one eye on Isaac and another eye on the other three Leaguers, Ruby listened as Isaac told the tale of another caravan he'd ambushed earlier that day. Someone had tried to be a hero and knife Isaac in the back, and Isaac's partner of the moment hadn't hesitated to end his life. Ruby hoped no one could see the way her breath hitched, then nearly stopped when Isaac went on to describe seeing the life leave someone's eyes. Maybe these guys didn't know what it was like, but Ruby... Ruby had seen it not too long ago, floating right in front of her in Arachne's bubble. What she'd seen of his face before turning away hadn't been anger, but pure terror as his life was drained from him.

[break][break]He'd been an enemy of Rocket, but Ruby hadn't had anything against him until he nearly broke her nose with his skull. Had that been enough to justify commanding Arachne to use Leech Life until he stopped breathing? Maybe not. Had she had much of a choice? Not really. He would have died, either way, with in the room. Ruby might not have had to look at the vigilante's final moments if she'd let Zev take care of him. Would that have changed anything? That was one Ruby couldn't even answer with a "maybe."

[break][break]Isaac described his partner's life leaving his eyes, too, but in a different way as he was numbed to the pain of killing. If she looked at herself in the mirror, would Ruby see something similar on her own face, despite her best efforts at joking around with Isaac and embracing her role as a Rocket? She didn't know if she wanted the answer to that one.

[break][break]The faces of the League officials ranged from horrified to confused. Ruby thought she even saw a flash of pity on one girl's face, but then she looked away as if trying to hide it. Even Lee's bravado started to wane. He let out a long sigh that even Ruby could hear.

[break][break]"No..." he finally said.

[break][break]"Then get outta here and leave the goods with us," Ruby said. "Don't try to be a hero unless you wanna end up like that other poor sap." She tapped her bat in her hand again for emphasis. "Show them the way out, Delphi."

[break][break]Delphi walked her captive over to the tunnel they'd come from, where Grimm stood aside and gestured for them to go through. Slowly, so Ruby and Isaac would know she wasn't a threat, the Fearow's trainer recalled her Pokémon, prompting the other three to do the same (though the Dunsparce's trainer had a bit of a harder time with it in Delphi's grasp). Lee glared at Isaac and Ruby like he wanted to walk right over and punch one of them in the face, but seeing his comrade still at Delphi's mercy made him deflate.

[break][break]"You'll pay for this," he muttered before following his comrades to the tunnel. Only when they were all through did Delphi release her hold on her captive, and she and Grimm kept threatening eyes on the four as they retreated. Lee stopped, fist clenched at his side, but one of the other trainers put a hand on his shoulder and whispered something. He slumped and kept walking.

[break][break]Ruby sighed. "All right, let's take this shit and get out of here." She sounded a lot more tired now, like she just wanted this job done with already.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2023 22:53:05 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Oh, trust me, buddy. I already have."[break][break]

What sounded like casual defiance was but a cracked mask over Isaac's pain, regret, and guilt. Maybe Lee and his allies would notice. Maybe they'd be too busy saving their own hides. If them getting out meant four less people died over a ball of goo, Isaac could care less about the details.[break][break]

He did, however, care about the details a little closer to home. With the League officials disappearing over the horizon, and Tarkus and Miyuki busy with excavation work, Isaac turned to face Ruby.[break][break]

"So."[break][break]

His grin fell. The look in his eye sobered. He looked away from her, instead staring at the footsteps the League officials left in their wake. Despite this, the tone in his voice stayed exactly the same, even without the bombast of his chilling mix of a bedtime story and ghost story. "When was yours?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2023 21:05:35 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Motherfucker.

[break][break]Ruby should have known Isaac would pick up on even that little detail. He was Isaac, after all, the unassuming clown who was way too perceptive for his own good sometimes. (And, apparently, weirdly horrifying when he wanted to be. She felt like she was always learning something new about him.) Ruby scowled and also looked at the dirt, letting the end of her bat drop to the ground. Delphi kept watch at the tunnel's entrance, still on high alert, but Grimm was beginning to settle down and watched her trainer, instead.

[break][break]"End of January," she said, voice nearly monotone. "Zev picked me out for a mission to take care of some vigilante getting in Rocket business. I knew what I was getting into."

[break][break]Yet she couldn't even look Isaac in the face as she said that.

[attr="class","rubytag"]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2023 2:34:10 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac winced as Ruby said what happened. This was around the time had mentioned SPECTRA, and had asked Isaac if there were any particularly promising Rockets among the recruit pool. Ruby had been one of the first names to come to mind for Isaac. How could she not be? She was hardworking. She had a natural talent. She fit the brutal edge Rocket needed far more than Isaac did.[break][break]

But somehow, Isaac never expected Zev to test her like this.[break][break]

Maybe it was because SPECTRA was an anti-Avatar task force. The idea of just killing an Avatar seemed . . . Arceus, what was the word? Impractical? Dangerous? Wasteful? Ugh. As if the idea of Rocket taking Avatars alive felt any better. But it wasn't like Isaac could just tell Zev no, and he genuinely did want Ruby to get even a fraction of the respect she deserved.[break][break]

Maybe if she was able to work her way up the ranks, she'd even be able to operate a proper front like some of the admins did. A grunt had little power in the grand scheme of things, but if Ruby could throw her weight around, her dreams didn't have to be as dead as she feared they were.[break][break]

Now Isaac could see the price of that progress. Now he could see the toll that it took on Ruby. Now he could see that, even with the dark bargain she made, she was maybe half a step closer to her dreams.[break][break]

Who the hell was Isaac even lifting up anymore?[break][break]

"Mine was half a year ago. Before Mt. Pyre, even." Isaac's voice was hushed and gentle. "There was some Pokemon breeder. Ran a hell of a mill beneath the surface of their manner. Were trying to beat the loyalty and Mega power into their Pokemon, 'em living weapons. Rocket just wanted to get rid of some competition, but me? I was happy to dish out some justice."[break][break]

"Turned out, there was some history. My Riolu, Knuckles, came from there. Sent her out when I was fighting the owner, and it all came flashing back to her. The fight was taking a bad turn. I was terrified and angry. She was terrified and angry. Everything we felt just . . . flowed into each other. Don't know which of us had the idea first. But when Knux evolved, it was like all those feelings came to a head."[break][break]

"She saved my life. But when she realized what it took . . . well, it hurt like nothing else. I thought I failed her. She thought she failed me. And 'cause of that, she ran. Didn't see her again til I found her vigil on Mt. Pyre."[break][break]

Isaac sighed, giving Ruby a small, comforting nudge with his shoulder. "Don't take it personal. You had your reasons. I had mine. Neither of us really had a choice. But . . ." God, what the hell was he even supposed to say? "It's gonna stick with you, no matter what."[break][break]

"It doesn't make you weak to admit it. Hell, if you ask me, it makes you stronger than a lot of people here."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
October 18
Pyrite Town, Orre
bisexual
"Freelancer" (Rocket)
Elite
Single
102 height
102 height
awards
460 posts
Ruby Garcia DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rubygarcia
Ruby Garcia
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2023 19:18:50 GMT
Ruby Garcia Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rubyw"]

Ruby's eyes twitched open wider for a moment when Isaac began to describe his—well, Knux's—own kill. Of all the people in Rocket, Ruby never thought Isaac would have it in him to take someone else's life. It hadn't been anything like Ruby's situation, but it was still killing someone. Isaac was right: That would stick with anyone. Well, unless they were a complete psychopath. That was probably why it didn't bother people like Zev.

[break][break]Arachne hadn't been nearly as bothered. She was a predator built to drown and drain her foes, and she'd been born and raised in the harsh region of Orre. Ruby thought she'd be prepared for the feeling of taking someone's life, but it turned out it was a lot different when it wasn't just some turf war gone wrong.

[break][break]"Try saying that to the higher-ups," Ruby said bitterly.

[break][break]She walked over to the caravan to help get it ready to travel again. In the past, she'd allowed herself to be vulnerable with Isaac, but that had always been in the safety of her own space. Out here, there wasn't any room for that. If she opened up here, she risked exposing her weak spots to an enemy who wouldn't have any qualms with taking advantage of them.

[break][break]Funny how the League could be just as ruthless as Rocket sometimes.

[break][break]"I think we're ready to go," she said. "Let's get this outta here before someone else comes along and tries to be a 'hero.'"

[break][break]She didn't want to replay the scenario Isaac had been in.

[attr="class","rubytag"]