Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Onward to a Pain My Heart Knows Well [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 2:52:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Cil seemed more on edge than usual lately. Considering this was Cil, that was saying something.[break][break]

Isaac would be hard-pressed to blame him. There were three camps of people that had emerged from their twenty year Galarian vacation. There were those who were thankful to return home, ready to put the horrors they faced in another realm behind them and return to the life they so dearly missed. Then there were those who didn't seem to remember a thing, dismissing their time in Galar as some sort of shared dream.[break][break]

Then there were those who had lost everything.[break][break]

Isaac recognized Cil's pain all too well. He saw it in , and just remembering the look on her face was enough to break his heart. It was a pain that he, too, had known so well. 20 years was enough for him to internalize Galar as his own, to the point where he had even forgotten they were returning to Hoenn. A week spent savoring the family and city he adored, the knowledge that it would all be in good hands while he was gone, and the reminder of what he had left to fight for in Hoenn were all he had left to ground him.[break][break]

Even then, he found himself pining night after night, staring into the lingering dream vapors that his Musharna had captured for him.[break][break]

How much worse had it been for Cil? He was no longer simply feared, but beloved. He was no longer Rocket's lap dog, and instead made a mark that could well and truly be considered his own. He was, against all conceivable odds, happy. Then he was torn away from all of that, from family, from titles, from freedom, and dragged back into a war against the people he'd spent the last 20 years protecting.[break][break]

Ugh. No. Isaac knew he couldn't ask about . As much as he selfishly, naively hoped that Cil of all people would understand, this was neither the time or place. Maybe those would never come.[break][break]

Today, he wanted to focus on Cil. Their last encounter in the "real world" had gone . . . poorly. He'd never held him in that same shining esteem he once did. But now, he could see the man he thought Cil was still existed. He lurked just under the surface, held back by the same chains that twisted everything Rocket touched into monstrosity. In some ways it was agonizing. Isaac had been too late. On the other hand, when he was still so painfully real and still so painfully close . . .[break][break]

It didn't matter. Whether he could be some mythical perfect person or not, he was still a person. He didn't deserve to have everything he wanted dangled in front of his face, only to be so cruelly snatched away. Nobody did.[break][break]

That was why Isaac had requested this meeting with Cil. Was "reporting on key intelligence related to recent operations" a bit of a stretch as a reason? Maybe. But Isaac was no stranger to operating in half-truths and embellishments. He could move mountains without telling a single genuine lie.[break][break]

Maybe, just maybe, he could move some of them for a kindred spirit. He deserved that kindness.

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 17:52:17 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Though the life he'd lost to memory had fractured around him, this life continues as usual. His duties as underboss are unchanged in spite of the trauma he'd endured. It is only the shackles of that duty that feel heavier now, slumping his shoulders and weighing him down.[break][break]

He has slept more in the past week than he often slept in a month, yet he still feels exhausted as he drags himself to the submarine each day. The absence of bags beneath his eyes only draws attention to the sharpness of cheekbones and pallor of skin.[break][break]

is ordinarily the one to keep him in check, but this is a pain that they'd suffered together and now endured apart.[break][break]

He knows that his husband will likely spend today, as he has spent other days, at the site where the Tree of Life once stood. Cillian does not join him. He had offered, once, and never again. This was something his husband seemed determined to do alone.[break][break]

So he works, instead, and schedules meetings as usual.[break][break]

His sharp mind has been dulled by loss and trauma, and he does not connect the cryptic words to their purpose. He takes them at their face, instead.[break][break]

"Merlo." He is curt, straight to business. He ignores the ghost of a crown upon the other's brow. "What do you have for me?"

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 POST GOODBYE GALAR

[attr="class","pkmn"][break]

[newclass=.twtgm] --accent: #765d75; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 18:25:51 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]How did a more well-rested Cil look more tired?[break][break]

The man's face was so pale and bony that he looked like he was being stretched to his limits. Maybe he was. He'd been one of four kings of Circhester, having all the freedom Rocket denied him with only a quarter of the crown's burden. Now, after twenty years of thriving in that life, he was ripped away from it all.[break][break]

His voice lacked the rich timbre of Circhester's king. It even lacked the unwavering authority it possessed when they'd last met days ago. The outward veneer was still there, but there was a hollowness beneath it that should have been a triumph but instead felt strangely heartbreaking.[break][break]

Isaac should have been relieved to see Cil thawing. But to see him in such pain . . .[break][break]

"Well, its probably no secret that the Galarian operation's been . . . a Lot for everyone to take in," Isaac said. "Especially those of us who were more deeply involved with it than others. There were a lot of us crowned king, some in really high positions." Such as, say, one of Rocket's most notorious underbosses.[break][break]

He sighed. Ugh. This was hard. Isaac was trying his his best to be clinical and mission-focused about this whole thing, but it wasn't easy. He was a bleeding heart, and this shake-up to countless lives meant so much more to him than as a potential obstacle to some dumb mission.[break][break]

"Are you holding up alright?"

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 6:32:55 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Above sharp cheekbones, below a furrowed brow, Cillian's golden eyes narrow.[break][break]

It felt almost like an interrogation, which was backwards considering the very purpose and essence of this room. The memory of their last meeting here was paradoxically both fresh in mind and twenty years behind them.[break][break]

"Dancing around your point makes it no more appealing," says the underboss coolly, lifting his chin. Though he lacked the steel crown upon his brow, there was no less authority in his presence. He was still a powerful man in Hoenn. "Out with it."[break][break]

He's sure he already knows where this is going, and he's proven correct.[break][break]

"Why shouldn't I be?" Though his voice is steady, the tense slope of his shoulders betrays him. "It was a memory, nothing more."[break][break]

He still hasn't talked to . He thinks that to acknowledge their loss might shatter them both.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 POST GOODBYE GALAR

[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 14:54:26 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Memory.[break][break]

That was an interesting way of putting it. Many people in Hoenn doubted if what they'd experienced was even real or not. Even Isaac had to catch himself sometimes when he found himself referring to it as a dream.[break][break]

Yet here was Cil, even his attempt at dismissing the thought giving it the reverent title of memory.[break][break]

He tried not to let his gaze linger on the man's tightly-pinched shoulders. He knew Cil was a fortress of a man, and would not take kindly to any fallen walls or caved-in doors. The last thing Isaac wanted was to be the messenger that got shot for his observations.[break][break]

Yet here he was.[break][break]

"Things aren't always as they should be," Isaac said, instead latching onto Cil's other word choice. They both knew that well. There was a time when Cil even candidly spoke about his doubts as Rocket changed their definition of "should be."[break][break]

It was a bitter thought, knowing that if he asked those same questions now Cil would have his head.[break][break]

"And its okay if they aren't. How the hell's anyone supposed to take 20 years on the chin like that and keep going like they 'should be?' "

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 1:00:21 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Though it's clear he seeks to comfort, Isaac serves only to frustrate.[break][break]

"There is no other choice."[break][break]

He could not afford to collapse, to give in to the pressure building against those walls that had once held so firm. A single crack in their foundation might allow the grief to flood through, to compromise him entirely.[break][break]

"I have responsibilities, and so do you. Real ones."[break][break]

Even as he says it, his heart aches with the denial. She may not have been real, but his grief for her loss was as tangible as anything.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 POST GOODBYE GALAR

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 1:17:42 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Y'know, you told me once that everyone's got a choice."[break][break]

Was Cil in the mood to have an ironic yet meaningful callback? Probably not. But Cil was circling around the topic like a vulture around the carcass that had once been his hopes and dreams. It didn't matter that he was a Rocket Underboss. It didn't matter that he was the chosen of a Legendary. It didn't matter that, if he wanted to, he could have Isaac snapped in half like a pretzel.[break][break]

If he didn't find a way to face this grief, one way or another, it'd consume him.[break][break]

"You're right. We've got a lot on our plate. Arceus knows you've got a lot more than me. But you know who else you've got a responsibility to? The guy that's key to holding all this together. The guy that's gonna have your back when nobody else does. The guy who, if he goes down, you're gonna be fucked without."[break][break]

"Yourself."[break][break]

For too long, Isaac had neglected himself. In his youth, a stifling home environment lead to him dismissing the idea that he'd ever had worth or potential. When he finally fled it, he drifted through life without a care in the world, becoming exactly the ineffectual burnout he was told he'd be. As soon as he found his worth, he tried too hard to share it with others, even if it meant throwing himself onto the pyre with reckless abandon in hopes of lighting their way.[break][break]

In a way, it was heartening to know that he wasn't alone in his mistakes.[break][break]

"I'm not telling you to say fuck it all and go crazy or anything like that. But, c'mon, man. I know that you know people." His entire room was a monument to that fact, psychological warfare in the stylings of Marie Kondo. "And I know you know what happens when they're pushed too far."[break][break]

They break. Just how Isaac refused to.[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2023 1:17:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

No. Cillian was not in the mood.[break][break]

His eyes narrow, fire blazing in their golden depths.[break][break]

He immediately thinks that is referring to as he launches into his spiel. Though Lugia's PRESSURE is absent, today, Cillian's surly mood generates an atmosphere of its own. The underboss appears as if he might lunge over the desk to grab Isaac by the throat at any moment. Don't presume to lecture me about my marriage.[break][break]

Isaac saves himself, barely, by going a different route.[break][break]

"You're either blind or an idiot. I'm not sure which I prefer." He has quickly tired of this conversation. "You want to know what my choices are, Merlo? I do my fucking job, or I follow my daughter to the grave."[break][break]

Isaac wouldn't have known, of course, about the tragedy that Cillian and Temp had witnessed. They'd neglected to say their goodbyes to the others. They'd spent those precious moments stumbling through a bloody battlefield, searching for a blaze of red.[break][break]

"My brother betrayed us. My sister disappeared. Do the math."[break][break]

There were only so many recent betrayals in Rocket, and only one disappearance so significant as to destabilize the position of an underboss. Cillian doesn't hold Isaac's hand. Let him put those fractured pieces together himself. Let him remember the Mahers.[break][break]

To them, it's been twenty years. To Walsh, to Rocket, Rowan and Lulu's absences were fresh.[break][break]

"I am looking out for myself. The only one pushing here is you."[break][break]

His fingers tremble with pent-up rage.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 POST GOODBYE GALAR

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2023 2:02:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]There it was.[break][break]

Some faced loss in the Hoenn. To them, Galar had been their escape, a chance to put the struggles of their lives behind them and enjoy a fresh start of 20 years. Others had faced loss in Galar. To them, Galar had been their prison, a purgatory where they didn't even have the comforts of home to spare them of their pain.[break][break]

Cil's first loss wasn't just the fact that his siblings were gone. It was that his siblings had left. If there was one thing Isaac knew, it was that you didn't just leave Team Rocket. If they could find you, they would kill you. If they couldn't, they would hurt you in any way, shape, or form possible. If Cil's sister disappeared, she may have taken the easy route and abandoned him to his fate. Or, worse still, she may have paid their brother's blood price. In either case, Cil was despondent.[break][break]

With loss fresh in his heart, Cil had been granted in escape. He'd lost everything in Galar, but just like the cities they had ruled over, he rebuilt with twice as much splendor. He'd found happiness. He'd found love. He'd found family. He'd found independence from the group whose presence now hung over him like the sword of Damocles.[break][break]

It ended in his daughter, the symbol of his future, dying on a blood-stained battlefield before he was spirited away back into Rocket's clutches.[break][break]

Cil's suffering had stretched across worlds, as if life punished him for daring to be happy.[break][break]

"I'm so sorry." Even as far as The Usual Platitudes went, genuine pain bled into Isaac's voice. It wasn't every day that someone could mean the words in two senses. "I . . ."[break][break]

What could he even say? "I didn't know?" No shit he didn't. Clearly, Cil didn't want anyone to know any of this. Isaac had only found out because he was on the target of an outburst, and there were even odds Cil would make sure he wouldn't live to tell a soul.[break][break]

"They couldn't do that to you, right?" They could. Cil may have been Rocket in Isaac's eyes, but that didn't mean he was Rocket in Walsh's. To Walsh, he was another cog in the machine, used for all he was worth and replaced when that came to an end. Even if that wasn't how things would play out, it was certainly how Cil believed it would, and that mattered just as much.[break][break]

"I understand." He didn't. "I'm here for you." He wasn't wanted. "I was trying to help." He'd done the opposite. Nope, nope, nope.[break][break]

Sighing softly, a mask of professionalism crept over Isaac's face. "Not a word of this gets out," he promised, because in this moment he knew operational security was the closest thing to tender, loving care Cil would accept. No well wishes. No cliches. No misaimed advice. Just hearing Cil's words and giving him what he wanted.[break][break]

It still didn't sit well with him. Was throwing himself into his job 100%, neglecting selfcare even more than usual, really the best option here? How long could Cil try to stand firm against the pressure before snapping? By the time he was in a position to do something about it, how much more of himself would have rotten away? How much already had?[break][break]

There was a darkly ironic humor to it. For all the tension between them, Isaac and Cil really were cut from the same mold. In their pain, they kept moving, because what else could they do? The alternative was unacceptable. Yet Cil's beacon was his duty and Isaac's was his love. When they tried to be a guiding light for the other, they only succeeded in clashing.[break][break]

How could two men be so, so similar, and yet so, so different?

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2023 9:37:56 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Part of him longs for to give him an excuse. To push harder, to justify Cillian's urge to wrap shaking hands around the other's throat. The call for blood burns in his eyes, unsatiated by the response.[break][break]

Nostrils flaring on a sharp exhale, Cillian's anger simmers.[break][break]

With no outlet given, and without much warning, he brings his fist down hard against the cold metal of his desk. Teeth clench at the pain that flares up through his arm, grounding him in a way little else could, these days.[break][break]

It's everything he has not to burst into tears.[break][break]

Breathing as though he'd just been in a fight, Cillian glowers at Isaac, searching for the lie. Yet for all his trust in Merlo had been damaged by their divergent paths, he believes him in this. His fingers uncurl from the fist against his desk. A subtle crater in the once-smooth plane betrays exactly how hard he'd struck its surface. His hand smarts.[break][break]

"Good," he grits out.[break][break]

What he means, though he will never say it, is thank you.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 POST GOODBYE GALAR

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2023 19:56:42 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Tension rang out through the room like a gunshot, but it had not been aimed at Isaac. Instead, Cil struck his own table, its perfectly symmetrical surface caved in from the sheer strength of his grief and anger. Isaac let out a breath he didn't even realize he was holding. For now, he had escaped its fate.[break][break]

Thanks to popular movies, some believed a Tyrantrum could only see movement. It wasn't true, of course. However, many believed the only way to survive its hungering gaze was to stand stock still and let it stare through you for as long as it wanted.[break][break]

This was how Isaac felt under the weight of Cil's glare. Isaac started out in the man's footprints, but at every crucial juncture in life their paths diverged further and further. Now he was something unrecognizable. Something disappointing. Something potentially dangerous. Isaac knew that all Cil needed was one good excuse, or even one bad one, and he wouldn't leave this room.[break][break]

Instead, against all odds, Cil's fist untightened.[break][break]

Was his wrath tempered by the same lingering affection, in spite of everything, that lead Isaac back to this room? Was he placated by a show of loyalty even in the face of their differences? Or did he fear that, if he surrendered to this moment of weakness by taking it out on Isaac, he would let it rule him?[break][break]

Isaac didn't know. He didn't know if he cared. But he knew that he had almost made it out with his hide intact. "That's all I have to report," he said. Had he left without being dismissed, Cil would be furious. Had he lingered around like a gormless idiot, Cil would also be furious. Giving him just enough prompting for a proper discharge would be the smartest way to straddle that line.[break][break]

Isaac should know. By now, he'd done so for far too long.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2023 8:46:50 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

The ensuing silence feels heavy, a thick blanket of pressure every bit as powerful as Lugia's currently-absent influence.[break][break]

Cillian's nostrils flare on a sharp inhale as Isaac speaks, almost as if the underboss had forgotten he was there. Indeed, his gaze had been fixed on his hand as he flexed it, testing to ensure no breaks. The pain is oddly soothing.[break][break]

Now, he glances up and narrows his eyes.[break][break]

"You're dismissed."[break][break]

Though more polite than get the hell out of my office, it is no less final nor firm.[break][break]

Only when Isaac removes himself from the premises and that thick, soundproof door swing closed behind him does Cillian allow himself to break. The scream that rips from his throat is animalistic and raw, a sound of pain and grief and desperation. He curls his hand as if to punch the desk again, then just as quickly uncurls it and drops his head into his hands. He shudders, and begins to sob.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 POST GOODBYE GALAR

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights